What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by GGSAE »

My last book I read was book 2 of the CFA II exam; FRA and Corporate Finance. :P

I'm about 3 months behind with my subs....

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Elveen wrote:I would like to read Sweet Tooth some day.
you definitely should. based on what I know of your tastes I think you'd dig it.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Anybody reading Pretty Deadly? I like the art. I know nothing of the story. Any good?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

GGSAE wrote:My last book I read was book 2 of the CFA II exam; FRA and Corporate Finance. :P

I have both the CFP and ChFC designations, but the CFA is the "crown jewel" to achieve, but I am not smart enough for that one! :!: I wish you the best in achieving this designation. :thumb:

Michael
Mkb28

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

Doing some catch-up reading off for short Christmas break:

Archer & Armstrong Volumes 1-3 - really liked it; funny, great art, lots of VEI universe origin teases, characterizations I like...the nephews and nieces were being a bit distracting while I was reading Vol 3, so I may go back through that one.

Great Pacific Volumes 1&2 - some great ideas and I like the art, but feels a bit choppy at times. Still looking forward to Volume 3 though.

Batman Year 100 - I am now a Paul Pope fan.

Up next are Prophet Volumes 1-2, Planetoid Volume 1, & Blacksad Volumes 1-2. It feels good putting a dent in my stack of reading.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

I felt like reading some old school stuff so I'm re-reading Byrne's Alpha Flight run

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

mkb28 wrote:
GGSAE wrote:My last book I read was book 2 of the CFA II exam; FRA and Corporate Finance. :P

I have both the CFP and ChFC designations, but the CFA is the "crown jewel" to achieve, but I am not smart enough for that one! :!: I wish you the best in achieving this designation. :thumb:

Michael
Mkb28
Thanks! I should really be studying, instead of going on a Xmas bender!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Anybody reading Pretty Deadly? I like the art. I know nothing of the story. Any good?
I'm reading it. I'd have to say its good - I nearly didn't pick up #3, because I didn't enjoy #2 as much as the first issue. Keeping in mind that I read it in poor lighting & with TV distractions, I found it hard to figure out what was going on at times due to the panel sequencing & sizes (some really tiny panels with art that was tough to interpret - in low lighting). And I couldn't quite recall the story from #1 at the time because I read issue 2 just this week, and #1 about two months ago.

But some seriously cool revelations occurred in #3 that have got me very interested in where this story is going, so I'm still into it. I need to re-read 1-3 in one sitting - in the daylight. :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

dbngaa wrote:Batman Year 100 - I am now a Paul Pope fan.

Up next are Prophet Volumes 1-2, Planetoid Volume 1, & Blacksad Volumes 1-2
Batman Year 100 is fantastically cool. I love Paul Pope, though I don't always pick up everything he does. I highly recommend Heavy Liquid if you like his style - it's a great sci-fi / drug culture story.

I really like the new Prophet too, I have only Volume 1 but it's such a cool & clever interpretation of the character. I love great sci-fi like this.
Lightning Strike wrote:I felt like reading some old school stuff so I'm re-reading Byrne's Alpha Flight run
Awesome sauce. I love that classic run. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Anybody reading Pretty Deadly? I like the art. I know nothing of the story. Any good?
I'm reading it. I'd have to say its good - I nearly didn't pick up #3, because I didn't enjoy #2 as much as the first issue. Keeping in mind that I read it in poor lighting & with TV distractions, I found it hard to figure out what was going on at times due to the panel sequencing & sizes (some really tiny panels with art that was tough to interpret - in low lighting). And I couldn't quite recall the story from #1 at the time because I read issue 2 just this week, and #1 about two months ago.

But some seriously cool revelations occurred in #3 that have got me very interested in where this story is going, so I'm still into it. I need to re-read 1-3 in one sitting - in the daylight. :lol:
Thanks... I think :lol:

I may wait to see if it continues to get better before I sink money into it. Keep us updated here.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Well, Image just made my decisions easier. They are having a 50% off sale of their entire digital catalog until the 29th. Guess I'll be getting Pretty Deadly, Manifest Destiny, and everything else in this thread directly from them!

I'm telling you guys. Image is leading the way to how things should be done!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm on a huge vacation re-reading kick.
I just finished Kingdom Come. It's a good read for sure.
Not top tier, but still good.

Not sure what is next.....

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Thanks... I think :lol:

I may wait to see if it continues to get better before I sink money into it. Keep us updated here.
:lol: It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement, was it?

I really should re-read it, but I think its safe to say its a cool concept & well written overall.

Worth trying out digitally via Image at 50% off, for sure.

I think the graphic design of the individual issues is outstanding, I find that very appealing & inspiring. Which doesn't do anything for the casual reader, I suppose. I'm curious about what the trades will end up looking like, particularly as each issue has wrap-around cover art.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
I think the graphic design of the individual issues is outstanding, I find that very appealing & inspiring. Which doesn't do anything for the casual reader, I suppose.
That's actually what has me interested in them. I know nothing else about the book. I don't even know who writes/draws it.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I just reread the Johnny Dynamite stories reprinted by Renegade in Ms. Tree. I love some of that older, hard boiled detective stuff.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Filling my cart at the Image Digital store for the 50% off sale. I'm getting overwhelmed. Suggestions on can't miss Image books? Looking for current and past books - I cannot pass up 99¢ drm-free books.

I already get East of West, Manhattan Projects, Revival, TWD , Umbral, Chew, and Invincible on a monthly basis. I have tried (and don't like) Saga and Peter Panzerfaust.

I put Jupiter's Legacy, Pretty Deadly, Manifest Destiny, and Black Science in my cart already.

What else should I get?

Lightning Strike

lorddunlow wrote:Filling my cart at the Image Digital store for the 50% off sale. I'm getting overwhelmed. Suggestions on can't miss Image books? Looking for current and past books - I cannot pass up 99¢ drm-free books.

I already get East of West, Manhattan Projects, Revival, TWD , Umbral, Chew, and Invincible on a monthly basis. I have tried (and don't like) Saga and Peter Panzerfaust.

I put Jupiter's Legacy, Pretty Deadly, Manifest Destiny, and Black Science in my cart already.

What else should I get?
I was going to suggest Jupiter's Legacy (which is pretty good even though it's not monthly), but then realized you already had it in your cart. I really can't think of any other Image titles

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I was thinking of adding Lazarus, Fatale, or Happy -any of those any good?

Lightning Strike

lorddunlow wrote:I was thinking of adding Lazarus, Fatale, or Happy -any of those any good?
I don't know about the other two, but Lazarus is good, not great.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Thief of Thieves?

Lightning Strike

Just finished reading the new 52 Aquaman and I have to say it was quite enjoyable. The stories were really good, I love how they are portraying Arthur and Mera. And while I normally love Pelletier's art, Reis' work on the book was amazing.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:Filling my cart at the Image Digital store for the 50% off sale. I'm getting overwhelmed. Suggestions on can't miss Image books? Looking for current and past books - I cannot pass up 99¢ drm-free books.

What else should I get?
Moriarty!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:Thief of Thieves?
I did not like Thief of Thieves. I got the first 8 or 9 issues and sold them to Elveen.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:I was thinking of adding Lazarus, Fatale, or Happy -any of those any good?
you'll like Happy if you really enjoy crazy Grant Morrison stuff, and it's only four issues.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

read the first TPB of The Wake, it didn't blow me away but I really enjoyed it. will definitely check out vol 2 when it comes out.

PSN- gorakthebunny