Hmm, just found out about the VEI/Shooter lawsuit of 2009.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham
Hmm, just found out about the VEI/Shooter lawsuit of 2009.

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Wow, lol, I really was out of the loop by not visiting this site for a few years! I have an excuse, though: I was finishing my Ph.D. from 2008-2012. Anyway, I found this fascinating thread, that explains a lot of things. And I was entertained by the flame war. :P

VEI apparently dropped the lawsuit as of January, 2010, according to Bleeding Cool (cited at the end of this thread, on page 15, or maybe 14):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... er=3495642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After I found this out, I added a line to Wikipedia on the "Jim Shooter" page, with the citation, about how VEI had dropped the lawsuit as of January, 2010.

Personally, I think that was a good idea. If I had known about that at the time, I might not have given VEI a try (which would have been most unfortunate!). I think there would be no winners in a lawsuit against Shooter. Meantime, I think it worked out for the best: Dark Horse lost the Gold Key three and now Dynamite has them, and Valiant launched and has been doing great without them. I'm just glad I didn't see that play out, I would have been upset at that time. But seeing now how things turned out, I'm glad they turned out as they did.

Many of you probably already knew the details of all this, but I'm just catching up to everything. :)

Also, I am glad, in retrospect, Jim Shooter was not the EiC of the new VEI. While I would have supported that at the time as a really cool idea, looking at the line now, I think there is more creative freedom in what is happening, e.g. with Joshua Dysart and Harbinger, for instance, that probably couldn't have happened if Jim Shooter imposed his vision on the books.

It's too bad Shooter and VEI don't get along, though, and apparently neither do Bob Layton and VEI (ironic, since Shooter and Layton loathe each other), or David Lapham, because it would have been cool to get some of those guys back for at least some project or other. But, oh well, I guess it will never happen now. I also wish they could get Barry Windsor-Smith to do something again, but I guess he must also refuse to be involved with Valiant ever again. Too bad.

But, again, I think VEI has done better than the original VH1, even the pre-Unity and Unity that I hold as the standard, and for me, that's saying something! So, I guess, all in all, it worked out better.

And, they are still getting some of the classic artists to work with them some, like Sean Chen, Bart Sears, Bob Hall, Jim Calafiore, Mark Moretti, and some others, at least on some covers (and Bart Sears on some interiors, too). So that is really cool. :thumb:
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Hmm, just found out about the VEI/Shooter lawsuit of 200

Ooh, I found a cool thread on this from this site:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

There's also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

As a fan I hope this thread, and period of history dies. There are always three sides to every story. His, theirs and the truth which is normally a combination. I would rather focus on the launches and all the positive things that have happened or will be happening. This is all very old news. Just my 2 cents.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I find the lack of Canadian-bashing in this thread disturbing.

MarkRoseHFX smells like a moose's vagina.

There. I feel better now.

I'd insult hawkeyeps, but the censor would just render the insult into *SQUEE* and piano recital
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Ramses818 wrote:As a fan I hope this thread, and period of history dies. There are always three sides to every story. His, theirs and the truth which is normally a combination. I would rather focus on the launches and all the positive things that have happened or will be happening. This is all very old news. Just my 2 cents.
Ramses,

Well, that's why I mentioned that I had not seen this, so it is "new" news to me. That said, I can understand why you would be frustrated that someone brought this up, if it's old news to you.

But, you are probably right that it is better to focus on the positives, and the launches, etc. Still, Jim Shooter is the "founding father," so something like this is important news for someone like me, especially since I just found out about it.

And hey, no one had updated Jim Shooter's Wikipedia page about it, so someone like me, who visited his page, would have thought that the latest thing that had happened was this lawsuit. I updated that, so people wouldn't make that mistake if they went and researched about Jim Shooter.

I just figured if there were any other folks on here that didn't know about it, like me, I'd put forward an update.

It is part of Valiant history, just like the terrible death of the original VH1...I think we should look at the ugly parts of that history, in hopes that mistakes aren't repeated. Just my .02. Just like "Birthquake" - we have to own up to it. :P

It's also amazing that we almost...almost...had Shooter back on the titles. That would have been amazing. But, again, looking at the releases now, I think it was all for the best, because I'm sure we wouldn't have had Joshua Dysart's and Fred Van Lente's, etc., creativity if Shooter had imposed his vision on the books.

bamaphilosopher
Last edited by bamaphilosopher on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:56:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

lorddunlow wrote:I find the lack of Canadian-bashing in this thread disturbing.
But wait, I thought you were Canadian. Why do you want to bash your own people? :twisted:

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Heath wrote:There's also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Heath! I didn't know about that thread. It was very entertaining! A good read.

bp

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I'd insult hawkeyeps, but the censor would just render the insult into *SQUEE* and piano recital
Hey Besty I'm curious as to how you became so familiar with moose vaginas :hm:

I think you have a secret purpose for your planned Canadian visit.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I always kinda wondered what he thought of the new books from VEI since he came out pretty strong against DC's Nu52

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

dornwolf wrote:I always kinda wondered what he thought of the new books from VEI since he came out pretty strong against DC's Nu52
Good question - I wonder if he's read them?

I see he hasn't blogged in a long time. And I haven't seen where he's gone to any convention in the last couple of years, that I know of. I wonder if Shooter is just getting real old, maybe retiring (like Leonard Nimoy, who doesn't do conventions anymore), or if he's just really busy? I never did get a chance to meet Shooter, and I would love to.

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

bamaphilosopher wrote: Good question - I wonder if he's read them?

I see he hasn't blogged in a long time. And I haven't seen where he's gone to any convention in the last couple of years, that I know of. I wonder if Shooter is just getting real old, maybe retiring (like Leonard Nimoy, who doesn't do conventions anymore), or if he's just really busy? I never did get a chance to meet Shooter, and I would love to.
He's much younger than Nimoy, so I expect we'll see him do more conventions. If he does any shows in Pittsburgh (his old town) I'll advertise it on the board.

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

He did some signing for mile high comics several months back so he's still somewhere in the pipeline.

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

Dr Noel wrote:He did some signing for mile high comics several months back so he's still somewhere in the pipeline.
Hey! That was my 100th post. Kinda lame for a milestone post.... :wink:

Well, at least my harbinger rank improved. :thumb:

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Dr Noel wrote:
Dr Noel wrote:He did some signing for mile high comics several months back so he's still somewhere in the pipeline.
Hey! That was my 100th post. Kinda lame for a milestone post.... :wink:

Well, at least my harbinger rank improved. :thumb:
lol!

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

AnthonyF wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote: Good question - I wonder if he's read them?

He's much younger than Nimoy, so I expect we'll see him do more conventions. If he does any shows in Pittsburgh (his old town) I'll advertise it on the board.
Please do! One of my great regrets is I never got my picture taken with Leonard Nimoy. So I'd probably drive all the way to Pittsburgh one day just to meet Jim Shooter, if I can. He is the founding father of my favorite comic book company ever, Valiant. I have his signature on a Magnus 0 I got off ebay some years ago, but that's just not the same as meeting him in person and getting his autograph.

So yes, please let us know the next time he makes a convention appearance.

bamaphilosopher

AnthonyF
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

bamaphilosopher wrote: Please do! One of my great regrets is I never got my picture taken with Leonard Nimoy. So I'd probably drive all the way to Pittsburgh one day just to meet Jim Shooter, if I can. He is the founding father of my favorite comic book company ever, Valiant. I have his signature on a Magnus 0 I got off ebay some years ago, but that's just not the same as meeting him in person and getting his autograph.

bamaphilosopher
I suggest you follow this thread on the CGC Forum. It tracks appearances for tons of creators, though currently it doesn't have anything listed for Shooter.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... &fpart=102

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

AnthonyF wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote: Please do! One of my great regrets is I never got my picture taken with Leonard Nimoy. So I'd probably drive all the way to Pittsburgh one day just to meet Jim Shooter, if I can. He is the founding father of my favorite comic book company ever, Valiant. I have his signature on a Magnus 0 I got off ebay some years ago, but that's just not the same as meeting him in person and getting his autograph.

bamaphilosopher
I suggest you follow this thread on the CGC Forum. It tracks appearances for tons of creators, though currently it doesn't have anything listed for Shooter.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... &fpart=102
Cool, thanks, Anthony! :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

hawkeyeps wrote:

Hey Besty I'm curious as to how you became so familiar with moose vaginas :hm:
I was going to ask the same question, but does anybody really want to know how Dunlow knows what that smells like?

<shudder>
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
But wait, I thought you were Canadian. Why do you want to bash your own people? :twisted:
This is ultimately the best insulting riposte one can hurl at the man. Well done, bp. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
This is ultimately the best insulting riposte one can hurl at the man. Well done, bp. :thumb:
Bruce is getting the hang of this. :)

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote: MarkRoseHFX smells like a moose's vagina.
I'm just seeing this for the first time now :lol:

How do you know what a moose's va-jay-jay smells like dunlow?
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:

I am not inserting a mother joke here. Nope. Won't do it. Alright, well, maybe.

"Born the lovechild of the legendary Sasquatch and the mightiest Brony Moose this side of the 49th parallel, these are the ongoing adventures of ... Canadian Dunlow!"

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

jmatt wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:

I am not inserting a mother joke here. Nope. Won't do it. Alright, well, maybe.

"Born the lovechild of the legendary Sasquatch and the mightiest Brony Moose this side of the 49th parallel, these are the ongoing adventures of ... Canadian Dunlow!"
:thumb: