Valiant Timeline / Chronology (VEI)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DIrishB
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ivar
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: Valiant Timeline / Chronology (VEI)

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Archer & Armstrong #19 and Quantum and Woody! #9.

bamaphilosopher wrote:Whew! Already it's very convoluted.
Indeed, and likely going to get far more so as the universe continues.
How are they going to keep up with continuity a few years down the road? Their writers are going to have to read everything really closely, especially when they do Eternal Warrior, Armstrong, and Timewalker stories.
I imagine before taking over a title new writers will either read what's come before or be brought up to speed through a summary of what's happened. Also if they are to use characters from other titles I'm sure they're also encouraged to read those issues or a summary of the events in those issues, at least in an attempt to avoid continuity screw-ups.

Plus I'm sure editorial keeps on top of that.
Great work!
Thanks!

AnthonyF wrote:Or they can just treat EW like Wolverine and Spider-man, and anything goes.

There's less :!: that way.

:P
Possible, but they've been doing a good job keeping aware of their own continuity, so I'd expect editorial and the writers to continue to do so.

bamaphilosopher wrote:They'd better develop a continuity bible for their writers, at this rate. lol
Seriously, though I'd bet there is something along those lines in existence already.
I hope the site administrators consider making this a sticky thread, because I know I'd like to refer to it again and again.
I certainly wouldn't object. ;)

ShadowTuga wrote:VEI needs their version of this amazing thing:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Holocron ... y_database" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It comes with a keeper, a Guardian of The Holocron!

Sorry, I had to type that! :P
Yeah that is amazing.

I've done a lot of similar timelines (to this VEI one) over the years, everything from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Ultimate Marvel Universe, and about a hundred other timelines for everything from Farscape to Pirates of the Caribbean. Its a sickness. ;)

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Bloodshot & H.A.R.D.Corps #21 and Unity #6.

The mention by Dr. Silk in Unity #6 of "last year's tsunami" (likely indicating the October, 2013 earthquake and ensuing tsunami it caused) helps firmly place the current events of the Valiant universe in 2014. That gives the modern day events of the Valiant universe as occurring in 2012, 2013, and 2014, or a two year period so far.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker

Post by kjjohanson »

DIrishB wrote:Updated for Bloodshot & H.A.R.D.Corps #21 and Unity #6.

The mention by Dr. Silk in Unity #6 of "last year's tsunami" (likely indicating the October, 2013 earthquake and ensuing tsunami it caused) helps firmly place the current events of the Valiant universe in 2014. That gives the modern day events of the Valiant universe as occurring in 2012, 2013, and 2014, or a two year period so far.
I think there's always got to be a little wiggle room when it comes to stuff like that. Reading ongoing comics set in a shared universe requires to some extent that time works differently than in the real world. Some time back I calculated that in the Marvel Universe about 2.5 years in the real world passes for every year in the MU. But it's not as simple as that, of course, since we see babies remain babies for years, and sometimes characters that are out of the spotlight change more when they come back than those that are seen continuously. Figure that time moves quicker for those not seen regularly as well.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

kjjohanson wrote:

I think there's always got to be a little wiggle room when it comes to stuff like that. Reading ongoing comics set in a shared universe requires to some extent that time works differently than in the real world. Some time back I calculated that in the Marvel Universe about 2.5 years in the real world passes for every year in the MU. But it's not as simple as that, of course, since we see babies remain babies for years, and sometimes characters that are out of the spotlight change more when they come back than those that are seen continuously. Figure that time moves quicker for those not seen regularly as well.
Oh that's definitely a given, especially in larger continuities like Marvel and DC, but so far with less than a couple years passing in real time (and possibly in the universe itself) I think it works, least so far. And given Valiant's plans to keep their universe under 10 titles it allows for more oversight and tighter control over continuity than the bigger companies who release 50+ books a month.

Granted, eventually I'm sure they'll run into that wall of needing to stretch the approach to in-universe time vs real world time passing. I just don't think they've necessarily hit that wall yet.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

DIrishB wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Oh that's definitely a given, especially in larger continuities like Marvel and DC, but so far with less than a couple years passing in real time (and possibly in the universe itself) I think it works, least so far. And given Valiant's plans to keep their universe under 10 titles it allows for more oversight and tighter control over continuity than the bigger companies who release 50+ books a month.

Granted, eventually I'm sure they'll run into that wall of needing to stretch the approach to in-universe time vs real world time passing. I just don't think they've necessarily hit that wall yet.
Good point, and I agree that, so far, they've done a great job with editorial, in terms of continuity.

I still think this thread deserves a sticky. I've just pm'd Greg and nominated it. :)
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
DIrishB wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Good point, and I agree that, so far, they've done a great job with editorial, in terms of continuity.

I still think this thread deserves a sticky. I've just pm'd Greg and nominated it. :)
Very cool, thanks! I appreciate that!

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for X-O Manowar #24.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Cool, it is now stickied to the top. Thanks Greg! :thumb:

And thanks again DIrish! Great job.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

bamaphilosopher wrote:Cool, it is now stickied to the top. Thanks Greg! :thumb:

And thanks again DIrish! Great job.
AWESOME!!! That makes it easier to find when I do updates. Thanks to bama for PMing Greg, and thanks to Greg for making it a sticky. Its much appreciated!

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Harbinger #22 and Eternal Warrior #8.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Rai #1 and Shadowman - End Times #1.

I placed Rai before Eternal Warrior's second arc (Eternal Emperor), since the Eternal Emperor arc begins and mostly takes place in 4001, but the last few pages after Gilad and his granddaughter have returned to their village show them during winter and planting food the next spring, so it obviously flows into 4002 AD. For simplicity's sake I place Rai before those events, since nothing shows otherwise (least so far.

I also only placed pages 1-3 of Shadowman - End Times #1 in the past, since the rest of the flashbacks in the issue are shown to be dreams Jack's having of the past. Even pages 1-3 could arguably be considered a dream, due to the narration at the very beginning of page 1, but the lack of any other narration and the fact it flows directly into a scene with Jack conscious as Shadowman make me think it works better as a flashback and being placed just before (by a few months, since Helena is shown to be pregnant but apparently early on since she's surprised the abettors know of her pregnancy, but by the opening of Shadowman #1 she's obviously pregnant) the opening of Shadowman #1.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Archer & Armstrong #20.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Bloodshot & HARD Corps #22 and Quantum & Woody #10.

Quantum & Woody #10 clearly places itself in October, 2013, due to it mentioning Smithsonian's security being light due to the government shutdown. The flashbacks in the issue also feature Woody and Jacklean stealing Tamagotchis which came out in 1996, but to line it up with other flashbacks I placed it in 2002 (maybe they were still popular 6 years later?).

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Unity #7 and X-O Manowar #25.

I didn't include the story "Owly & Wormy in... Shanhara's Day Off" since that's obviously non-canon. Its arguable the one page story "Bar Fight" with Aric and Shadowman may not be canon, but there's nothing indicating its not (at least so far), so I'm keeping it in for now.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Harbinger #23 and Shadowman - End Times #2.

A bit later than usual with the update due to spending the last week packing and moving into a new house. Took a few days to get the computer unpacked and internet set up. But I'm back in business! ;)

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Quantum & Woody #11 and Rai #2.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

A staggeringly good and important thread. :clap:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Archer and Armstrong #21, Bloodshot and HARD Corps #23, and Armor Hunters #1.
StarBrand wrote:A staggeringly good and important thread. :clap:
Thanks! Glad people are appreciating it.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Curious for your take on the Harada's attempted coup/setting himself over Earth's govs. Pre-Armor Hunters or Post?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for X-O Manowar #26 and Shadowman - End Times #3.

Keith wrote:Curious for your take on the Harada's attempted coup/setting himself over Earth's govs. Pre-Armor Hunters or Post?
I believe its pre-Armor Hunters, since there's a notation of it occurring in December (presumably December of 2013) in one of the Harbinger issues.

If anything shows otherwise I'll certainly change it, but given the Gen Zero kids are free from Harada's corporation (which occurred at the end of the Death of a Renegade arc) and appear in the Armor Hunters - Harbinger mini (obviously taking place after they escaped in the Death of a Renegade arc), I think its clear Death of a Renegade and its surrounding events (including Harada being forced to go public) occurs before Armor Hunters. There's also not much time between the fight between the Renegades (where Flamingo died) and Harada being outed to the world.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Quantum and Woody #12.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Armor Hunters #2 and Rai #3.

ValiantCentral
Valiant fan since: July 1992
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by ValiantCentral »

this is the most impressive piece of fan dedication i have ever seen!
Valiant Database, up to date information on all VEI books and titles
Ivar's Longbox - a look back at books from VH1 and Acclaim
Valiant Central Podcast - a weekly discussion of the Valiant universe

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

ValiantCentral wrote:this is the most impressive piece of fan dedication i have ever seen!
Thanks, mate! Glad people are enjoying it.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Harbinger #25 (which required a bit of re-reading older issues to accurately place the different stories) and Unity #9 (which was significantly easier to place ;) ).

Till next week!