"You're choking under dozens of pounds of Valiant..."

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Tannerman
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
"You're choking under dozens of pounds of Valiant..."

Post by Tannerman »

Over at BoardGameGeek.com, W. Eric Martin wrote up a game preview of "Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men". The author used to run a comic book store and was commenting about why this new game is experiencing shortages, using an analogy to the comic book industry decades ago. I found it humorous that he used a Valiant reference:
I managed a comic book store in the late 1980s, and we experienced this phenomenon all the time: A publisher announces a title or issue that you expect will be hot; distributors ask retailers for preorders 2-3 months ahead of when this title will be released; publishers set production quantities (with comic book production being far simpler than game production); news of this comic book event starts leaking into the public, and people who don't normally read that comic (or any comics) ask to reserve copies; retailers increase their orders with distributors; then, one week before its release, distributors let retailers know they're going to get x% of what they ordered due to high demand. Panic ensues. Eventually you get through the shortage thanks to additional printings, and when the next "hot" comic is solicited, you remember what happened previously, anticipate a shortage of x% and increase your order accordingly — then you're still shorted, so you increase your preorder on the next hot title by even more, and the cycle continues until eventually you're choking under dozens of pounds of Valiant comics that no one will buy because they weren't that good to begin with and everyone suddenly realized that all at the same time.
Source: Game Preview: Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men
Last edited by Tannerman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: "You're choking under dozens of pounds of Valiant..."

Post by Keith »

What a *SQUEE*. :mad:
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Keith wrote:What a *SQUEE*. :mad:
Agree. However, he was kind of right, if he's talking about some of the later VH1 stuff. After the company stopped giving a darn. But I wish he'd acknowledge that the reason Valiant became hot enough to be in that position in the first place was that the original stuff was far better than any other comic company at the time. IMHO.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

However, none of that was in the late 80's. Valiant was only in the 90's, so his memory is already suspect or flawed to start with. :P :D
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Phoenix8008 wrote:However, none of that was in the late 80's. Valiant was only in the 90's, so his memory is already suspect or flawed to start with. :P :D
Good point! :thumb:
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

Tannerman

Post by Tannerman »

I've got nothing against W. Eric Martin's comments. He covers the boardgame industry well. Just found it amusing to see the Valiant world colliding, especially when referencing a Marvel game :)

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Tannerman wrote:I've got nothing against W. Eric Martin's comments. He covers the boardgame industry well. Just found it amusing to see the Valiant world colliding, especially when referencing a Marvel game :)
Agreed...especially since, well, the quality did get to where it sucked, honestly, so I'm not surprised many people have negative images of Valiant from those days.

That's probably something VEI has had to struggle to overcome. Though, they are doing that quite nicely by offering quality comics.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
Agree. However, he was kind of right, if he's talking about some of the later VH1 stuff. After the company stopped giving a darn. But I wish he'd acknowledge that the reason Valiant became hot enough to be in that position in the first place was that the original stuff was far better than any other comic company at the time Ever. IMHO.
fixed that for you.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Aram wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
Agree. However, he was kind of right, if he's talking about some of the later VH1 stuff. After the company stopped giving a darn. But I wish he'd acknowledge that the reason Valiant became hot enough to be in that position in the first place was that the original stuff was far better than any other comic company at the time Ever. IMHO.
fixed that for you.
Try re-reading VH1. A lot of it doesn't hold up so well, even the early stuff.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

kjjohanson wrote:
Aram wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
fixed that for you.
I am in the process of reading all the VH1 stuff. I've finished A&A :thumb: , Armorines facepalm , Bloodshoot :thumb: , Deathmate :oops: , EW :thumb: , Geomancer facepalm , SLODM :roll: , HARD Corps facepalm , Harbinger :thumb: , Ninjak :thumb: , Psi-Lords facepalm , Secret Weapons facepalm , Shadowman :thumb: to facepalm , Solar :thumb: , Visitor facepalm, and XO :thumb: to facepalm .

I am in the process of reading Rai and will then read Time-Walker, MRF, and Turok.

You can see where I stand on the original Valiant stuff.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Intrepidxc wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Aram wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
fixed that for you.
I am in the process of reading all the VH1 stuff. I've finished A&A :thumb: , Armorines facepalm , Bloodshoot :thumb: , Deathmate :oops: , EW :thumb: , Geomancer facepalm , SLODM :roll: , HARD Corps facepalm , Harbinger :thumb: , Ninjak :thumb: , Psi-Lords facepalm , Secret Weapons facepalm , Shadowman :thumb: to facepalm , Solar :thumb: , Visitor facepalm, and XO :thumb: to facepalm .

I am in the process of reading Rai and will then read Time-Walker, MRF, and Turok.

Eventually I'm going to get around to a full re-read and blogging about VH1. But from my pre-Unity re-read, I can say that one thing that VEI did that VH1 should have done was make Aric more like the ignorant man out of time that he is, rather than a brainless ape. He comes off as far too cavemanish in VH1. Shoehorning the original Gold Key Solar comics into his VH1 origin was kinda weak too.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

kjjohanson wrote:
Intrepidxc wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Aram wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
fixed that for you.

Eventually I'm going to get around to a full re-read and blogging about VH1. But from my pre-Unity re-read, I can say that one thing that VEI did that VH1 should have done was make Aric more like the ignorant man out of time that he is, rather than a brainless ape. He comes off as far too cavemanish in VH1. Shoehorning the original Gold Key Solar comics into his VH1 origin was kinda weak too.
From what I've read from VH1 (and I only began reading it in 2012), I think Shadowman was the best. Rai and Magnus first trades are awesome. I also think Harbinger is a bit boring. :bricks: A&A is good, but I don't see the magic that some people do- guess it's one of those "you had to be there" things. :|
I prefer VEI over VH1 any day, but that's me. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

The original Harbinger was bad news.

Disagree about Aric's character in VH1, his character was hysterical and more developed than the new one.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Tannerman wrote:Over at BoardGameGeek.com, W. Eric Martin wrote up a game preview of "Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men". The author used to run a comic book store and was commenting about why this new game is experiencing shortages, using an analogy to the comic book industry decades ago. I found it humorous that he used a Valiant reference:
I managed a comic book store in the late 1980s, and we experienced this phenomenon all the time: A publisher announces a title or issue that you expect will be hot; distributors ask retailers for preorders 2-3 months ahead of when this title will be released; publishers set production quantities (with comic book production being far simpler than game production); news of this comic book event starts leaking into the public, and people who don't normally read that comic (or any comics) ask to reserve copies; retailers increase their orders with distributors; then, one week before its release, distributors let retailers know they're going to get x% of what they ordered due to high demand. Panic ensues. Eventually you get through the shortage thanks to additional printings, and when the next "hot" comic is solicited, you remember what happened previously, anticipate a shortage of x% and increase your order accordingly — then you're still shorted, so you increase your preorder on the next hot title by even more, and the cycle continues until eventually you're choking under dozens of pounds of Valiant comics that no one will buy because they weren't that good to begin with and everyone suddenly realized that all at the same time.
Source: Game Preview: Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men
Having been a retailer at the tail end of the Valiant's big orders and then rather quick decline, let me tell you, this is all pretty much true. Lots of manipulation by Distributors, Publisher, and even customers, who were SO hot one day, buying 10s of copies at a time, to next month, not showing up and moving on to other crap, like Lady Death and whatever else came out with a new gimmick. I still get brought in boxes with rows of Rai & Future Force #9 and a few others from that period.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net