What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by grendeljd »

Lightning Strike wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I was thinking of adding Lazarus, Fatale, or Happy -any of those any good?
I don't know about the other two, but Lazarus is good, not great.
I think Lazarus is excellent. It's got some hard sci-fi set in a very dystopian near future. Rucka does an intense amount of research behind his sci-fi concepts, heavily grounded in a lot of insane science & technology stuff that actually currently exists - and he talks about his sources a lot in the back letter column/info section of each issue.

Definitely worth checking out digitally on the cheap.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:read the first TPB of The Wake, it didn't blow me away but I really enjoyed it. will definitely check out vol 2 when it comes out.
I almost picked this up, but I think I will wait and buy the entire collection in HC format. It is supposed to be 10 issues, is that correct?

Michael
Mkb28

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I want to read Midnight Nation #1-12 (and #1/2 since I never read it) again because it's been years since I read it and it still haunts me like few stories in any media have. But I just don't know where the single issues are or even if I still have them since I sold a lot of my comics in bulk and in a hurry when I had to move years ago and I don't have a TPB or HC collection around. I also don't have any money right now so I can't buy to buy a set of all 13 issues, TPBs, or HC. I've seen an overized HC on Amazon (that while expenisive isn't as expenisve as some of the omnibuses that Marvel and DC have put out) that I might try to get for my birthday next month.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Reread the first two saga tpbs. So, so good. May end up being the best series ever.
ASM Crossover Home

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

400yrs wrote:Reread the first two saga tpbs. So, so good. May end up being the best series ever.
I have the first two Saga trades coming in my February DCBS order. Can't wait! :P

mkb28

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

mkb28 wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:read the first TPB of The Wake, it didn't blow me away but I really enjoyed it. will definitely check out vol 2 when it comes out.
I almost picked this up, but I think I will wait and buy the entire collection in HC format. It is supposed to be 10 issues, is that correct?

Michael
Mkb28
oh really? I didn't realize that. I just picked up because it was 5 issues for $9.99. I'll try just about any series with a deal like that. if it's 10 issues I sure hope vol 2 is the same price, it's a pretty cheaply made TPB so i'd imagine so.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Michael
Mkb28
oh really? I didn't realize that. I just picked up because it was 5 issues for $9.99. I'll try just about any series with a deal like that. if it's 10 issues I sure hope vol 2 is the same price, it's a pretty cheaply made TPB so i'd imagine so.
Just pulled up issue 1 on eBay and blew up the cover to see that it says "1 of 10." I bet the second trade will be listed for $9.99 too. If Instocktrades has the first trade for 35% off like they normally do, I may go ahead and buy it. I have several Snyder Batman HC's, so I may just wait to add this story to my HC collection.

Mkb28

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

mkb28 wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Michael
Mkb28
Just pulled up issue 1 on eBay and blew up the cover to see that it says "1 of 10." I bet the second trade will be listed for $9.99 too. If Instocktrades has the first trade for 35% off like they normally do, I may go ahead and buy it. I have several Snyder Batman HC's, so I may just wait to add this story to my HC collection.

Mkb28
Makes sense. I like getting hardcovers of books that I really love. I just got the Hawkeye hardcover this morning, it is an absolutely beautiful thing.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Just completed my order from Image. 18 issues for $22. Can't beat that with a stick. I fear this will cost me money in the long run. No way I can read several issues of 7 different series and not add one to my pull list. This may be the end of my Q&W experiment.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:Just completed my order from Image. 18 issues for $22. Can't beat that with a stick. I fear this will cost me money in the long run. No way I can read several issues of 7 different series and not add one to my pull list. This may be the end of my Q&W experiment.
I love too much Image stuff right now I have to stick to trades so I can afford to read more. I just bought and read Morning Glories vol 4 and 5 today :D I really dig that book

I also got The Legend of Luther Strode and Manhattan Projects vol 1

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Just completed my order from Image. 18 issues for $22. Can't beat that with a stick. I fear this will cost me money in the long run. No way I can read several issues of 7 different series and not add one to my pull list. This may be the end of my Q&W experiment.
I love too much Image stuff right now I have to stick to trades so I can afford to read more. I just bought and read Morning Glories vol 4 and 5 today :D I really dig that book

I also got The Legend of Luther Strode and Manhattan Projects vol 1
Have you already read any MP yet? If not, buckle up!

I intentionally avoided Morning Glories in the sale, because there are so many issues, and I'm sure I'll get sucked into it and have to read it all.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote: Have you already read any MP yet? If not, buckle up!
I think i've read up to what would be the third TPB maybe. read the floppies borrowed from a friend. Loved it and i'm going to follow it in trade.

PSN- gorakthebunny

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

18 issues... Let's see a list here!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

So I decided to read something ........HEAVY!

I started re-read Scalped. I'm about half way through. This series is magnetic. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay brutal. Like wow!
But what a great story.

I've read up to #50, so so far it is a re-read, but the end will be new for me. I can't wait to see how it ends.

This book is possibly one of the greatest character developed books ever written.

It is uber not for kids, but quite a read.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Elveen wrote:So I decided to read something ........HEAVY!

I started re-read Scalped. I'm about half way through. This series is magnetic. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay brutal. Like wow!
But what a great story.

I've read up to #50, so so far it is a re-read, but the end will be new for me. I can't wait to see how it ends.

This book is possibly one of the greatest character developed books ever written.

It is uber not for kids, but quite a read.
I LOVED Scalped. Because of that it's made me seek out other Jason Aaron books. Thor God of Thunder is an AMAZING book. I've never been a huge Thor fan but between Jason Aaron's brilliant story and Esad Ribic's art, man, everybody should be reading that book.

PSN- gorakthebunny

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I've benn wanting to reread Scalped as well. I need to pick up the last trade, but I can't believe they haven't done hardcovers yet.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: Robots In Disguise #15-#22. Christ, I thought that The Transformers: Dark of the Moon was the most BORING TF story I had ever seen/read/played then I read these comics and they're even MORE BORING. The overall story is not all that good or all that bad, it's just a crossover event set-up check list and it's just boring as hell and female Autobot Arcee is the only thing that isn't boring.

Next up is The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #15-#22.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Big Red wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:Got the first issue of Black Science.

its great, pick it up if you love old school sci-fi comics.
I'm seriously considering picking this up. The art looks fantastic! And I love Remender's writing.
I finally picked up all the variant #1 issues of Black Science:

Cover A
Cover B
Blank Sketch Cover
Ghost Variant
Hastings Variant
DCBS Variant (coming in my February order)
Midtown Variant

When I bought the Midtown variant last night, the seller had a copy of the East of West HC from the New York ComiCon listed for $109.99 and it was on sale for 25% off ($82.49 OBO). I was able to land this sealed HC for $49.99 with free shipping along with the Midtown variant for an additional $20.00! :clap:

Imagine my surprise to learn there is another Black Science #1 variant out there :!: :

Sanford Greene Image Expo cover (cheapest I can find is $34.99!) :o

Also placed a hold on Black Science #1 Second Printing with Zach from Daydreamcomics (board member). Now, if I can just find a few minutes to read one of these bad boys! :hope:

Michael
Mkb28

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Just started reading The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, it's freakin awesome.

PSN- gorakthebunny

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:I've benn wanting to reread Scalped as well. I need to pick up the last trade, but I can't believe they haven't done hardcovers yet.

I'm in the early 50s, so about done. The last 6 or so books I've never read.

Me looking forward to the end of Scalped = :takeit:

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:
400yrs wrote:I've benn wanting to reread Scalped as well. I need to pick up the last trade, but I can't believe they haven't done hardcovers yet.

I'm in the early 50s, so about done. The last 6 or so books I've never read.

Me looking forward to the end of Scalped = :takeit:
The end is good.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
Let's see:
Manifest Destiny #1
Lazarus #1-5
Black Science #1-2
Pretty Deadly #1-3
Aphrodite IX #2-4 (#1 is a FCBD book)
Jupiter's Legacy Giant Sized #1 (actually contains #1-3)
Dead Body Road #1 (Justin Jordan)
Rocket Girl #1-2

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

Read issues 1-10 of Cowboy Ninja Viking yesterday and loved it. Very funny and a great story too.

Other recent reads:

Uncanny Avengers 1-11 by Rick Remender...I haven't been a regular Marvel reader since around the time of the Mutant Massacre crossover, but I jump back in from time to time. I picked up a few runs of the Marvel Now books in anticipation of reading Hickman's Infinity Omnibus, and this was the first of those I've read. I enjoyed it - thought the art was very good throughout and wasn't too lost since they manage to work in some recaps for newbies. Up next is Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder.

Sam & Twitch 1-8 by Brian Bendis...ah, pre-Marvel Bendis how I've missed you. Art had some iffy spots but plenty of fun dialog.

Think Tank Vols 1 & 2...I should just endorse my paycheck over to Image each month - another great series.

Planetoid Vol 1 - eh, some cool ideas, but not planning on reading any more.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Let's see:
Manifest Destiny #1
Lazarus #1-5
Black Science #1-2
Pretty Deadly #1-3
Rocket Girl #1-2
Cool, I'd love to know what you think of Lazarus, Pretty Deadly & Jupiter's Legacy after you read them!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Let's see:
Manifest Destiny #1
Lazarus #1-5
Black Science #1-2
Pretty Deadly #1-3
Rocket Girl #1-2
Cool, I'd love to know what you think of Lazarus, Pretty Deadly & Jupiter's Legacy after you read them!
Lazarus and Jupiter's Legacy are on deck for tonight - after I recover from my aggravating day.

So, Pretty Deadly - I want to like it. It's well written. I like the art. The story is intriguing. I'm definitely going to read a few more issues, but I'm not ready to add it to a pull list yet.

I'm sure I'll be teased mercilessly, but I LOVE Aphrodite IX. I read all 4 that I bought last night, and I plan on picking this up monthly. The art is phenomenal - sometimes I thought there were actual photos being used, but it is all digital paint (very similar to Clayton Crain) and beautiful. I'm a fan of Stjepan Stejic (I think I spelled that right) now.

The writer is the same guy that does Think Tank, and I noticed a few people listed that in their top 10 comics list. I'm also loving the writing. Very fun blend of both sci-fi and fantasy - it really takes me back to childhood when I was obsessed with the Anne McCaffrey books. He even has a section in the back with links to science articles he uses as reference material.

In short, how can you go wrong with a story about a programmable cyborg assassin (very similar to the characters in Dollhouse) in a world with cyborgs, genetically modified humans, and friggin' dragons, man?

Aphrodite IX may not be the best book I'm reading, but it is certainly the most enjoyable to read.