What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by mkb28 »

400yrs wrote:
GGSAE wrote:I like how other publishers are doing $1 first issues...I've picked up a number of popular books that I hadn't read from Dark Horse and Vertigo. Y the Last Man seemed the most intriguing, I'll look to grab the trades...
Y is one of my favorite all time series. I've probably read it thrice. Look into the hardcovers if you are into keeping stories to reread. They are awesome.

Can't believe you haven't read it already.

Amazon has the first HC for under $19 and the last four for under $23.
Instocktrades has the HC's for $16.49 each with free shipping over $50.00! :o

Mkb28

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

mkb28 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
GGSAE wrote:I like how other publishers are doing $1 first issues...I've picked up a number of popular books that I hadn't read from Dark Horse and Vertigo. Y the Last Man seemed the most intriguing, I'll look to grab the trades...
Y is one of my favorite all time series. I've probably read it thrice. Look into the hardcovers if you are into keeping stories to reread. They are awesome.

Instocktrades has the HC's for $16.49 each with free shipping over $50.00! :o

Mkb28
The whole thing for under $85 is definitely worth it.
ASM Crossover Home

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

400yrs wrote:

Wasn't in comics at the time it was made, and have only branched out of Valiants in the last year and change. I'll look around for the trades, I've seen a number of comic trades at the libraries in town.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

I just finished the first 4 issues of Lazarus and really loved the story. I went ahead and added the Volume 1 and 2 trades to my DCBS order. I told my wife that I may have found a comic she might like to read, but she didn't seem too interested. facepalm

I also finished the first volume of East of West and was glad I listened to all of your great recommendations to read this story. :thumb:

Michael
Mkb28

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Sat down at B&N and read Court of Owls/Night of Owls. I've heard so much good stuff about this that I had to see for myself. The critics were right. This was an excellent storyline. Love how it restructures, and yet affirms, the entire Bat-Mythos. Great stuff.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

xodacia81 wrote:Sat down at B&N and read Court of Owls/Night of Owls. I've heard so much good stuff about this that I had to see for myself. The critics were right. This was an excellent storyline. Love how it restructures, and yet affirms, the entire Bat-Mythos. Great stuff.
Greg Capullo is KILLING it with that art on that book as well imo.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Sat down at B&N and read Court of Owls/Night of Owls. I've heard so much good stuff about this that I had to see for myself. The critics were right. This was an excellent storyline. Love how it restructures, and yet affirms, the entire Bat-Mythos. Great stuff.
Greg Capullo is KILLING it with that art on that book as well imo.
He sure is.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Yes, it is a great story. I have been buying all the Batman HC's as they are released and The Black Mirror HC that Snyder wrote for Detective Comics. Great stuff! :thumb: Also, Snyder signed my son's Batman #1 at the Kansas City ComiCon last year and we got some pics.

Mkb28

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Read RASL. I thought it was ok until about 60% of the way through, then I felt it went downhill. Actually there were flaws throughout the whole story, but I did dwell on them until the story started to go downhill.

I wouldn't recommend this to anybody
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:Read RASL. I thought it was ok until about 60% of the way through, then I felt it went downhill. Actually there were flaws throughout the whole story, but I did dwell on them until the story started to go downhill.

Bummer. I read the first six or so issues and then bought the oversized soft covers. Guess I'll take my time getting to them.
ASM Crossover Home

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

caxiotis wrote:Read RASL. I thought it was ok until about 60% of the way through, then I felt it went downhill. Actually there were flaws throughout the whole story, but I did dwell on them until the story started to go downhill.

Dumb question, but what is "RASL?"

Mkb28

caxiotis
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

mkb28 wrote:

Mkb28
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RASL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would also like to add that I enjoyed the overall scientific concept of RASL and the Nikola Tesla parts. I feel the the execution of the of the story was lacking and there wasn't enough backstory on RASL's nemesis. There were also a few characters that came out of nowhere that I feel were not resolved by the end of the story. Lastly, I did not like the ending.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

caxiotis wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

Mkb28
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RASL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would also like to add that I enjoyed the overall scientific concept of RASL and the Nikola Tesla parts. I feel the the execution of the of the story was lacking and there wasn't enough backstory on RASL's nemesis. There were also a few characters that came out of nowhere that I feel were not resolved by the end of the story. Lastly, I did not like the ending.

Thanks, Cax! :thumb:

Mkb28

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

I've been saying that for a while. It's one of the best Batman stories ever written, and I double dare anyone to say the opposite. :P
Sadly, nothing that he did after (or before) touches the magic of those 11 issues - remember when Bats find the owls lair in the sewers? And his stay in there, with all the bookflips? 8-) Omg, such awesome stuff.

As an aside: back in 2012, I begged DC on their FB page to give us a Greg Capullo designed Bats Action Figure- and they are delivering it this April. They are also making the "tank suit" he uses in the Wayne manor. :D
Top 5 of Batman stories for me, without a doubt.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

mkb28 wrote:I just finished the first 4 issues of Lazarus and really loved the story. I went ahead and added the Volume 1 and 2 trades to my DCBS order.
Might have to check this one out. Anyone else recommend it?
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
I've been saying that for a while. It's one of the best Batman stories ever written, and I double dare anyone to say the opposite. :P
Sadly, nothing that he did after (or before) touches the magic of those 11 issues - remember when Bats find the owls lair in the sewers? And his stay in there, with all the bookflips? 8-) Omg, such awesome stuff.

As an aside: back in 2012, I begged DC on their FB page to give us a Greg Capullo designed Bats Action Figure- and they are delivering it this April. They are also making the "tank suit" he uses in the Wayne manor. :D
That tank suit was great, man. One of the alltime Batman moments. I'm going to try to hunt down the next few volumes, and check out Detective Comics, as well, but, I think the bar was set so high that even a really good story isn't going to shine the way it would have pre-TCOO. That's a highwater mark, for damn sure.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

chriskay99 wrote:
mkb28 wrote:I just finished the first 4 issues of Lazarus and really loved the story. I went ahead and added the Volume 1 and 2 trades to my DCBS order.
:hi:

Reads better in chunks, so I'm going to wait until Image has another digital sale to pick up what has been released. I read #1-5 and love them.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

chriskay99 wrote:
I've only read the first issue, but I liked it enough to keep picking it up, and grab the TPB. Basically I have a stack of comics that I want to get through to see if I should continue picking up the book. This only took one issue to make that decision so I'll catch up when I get time.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

xodacia81 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

That tank suit was great, man. One of the alltime Batman moments. I'm going to try to hunt down the next few volumes, and check out Detective Comics, as well, but, I think the bar was set so high that even a really good story isn't going to shine the way it would have pre-TCOO. That's a highwater mark, for damn sure.
Since John Layman took the reigns of the book(#13), 'Tec has been great, it's really a shame he's leaving in a couple of issues. His Man-Bat backstories are awesome sauce.

As for "Batman", you won't be disappointed with the follow-up stories, as long as you don't expect them to be the Next Big Thing, like DC promoted them- Death of the Family is the finest example of this. Good story, but overhyped.
Also, I really like Harper Row. Put me on the side of those who think she'll be great as a sidekick- and her costume rocks.
Zero Year is still going on, and it's been fun in places- but as a rant, Snyder should have left the "Yes, father- I shall become a bat" stuff alone. I still have trouble understanding ytf he did what he did there. :?
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Nice! Thanks for the feedback on Lazarus, Dunlow and kjjohanson. Looks like I'll be making a stop at the comic shop on my way home tomorrow to see what they have in stock for Lazarus.

As for what I'm reading, I'm finally branching out beyond Valiant since that's what got me restarted in comics in 2012. I dropped Quantum and Woody, and will probably drop Bloodshot after the A&A crossover. I may consider ditching some other VEI titles since I'm not über enthusiastic about certain ones, and am finding good stuff from other publishers. I already added Manifest Destiny to my pull file. I got the first few issues of Black Science and think I'll continue picking that up for the time being. I've heard 3 good recommendations for Lazarus so I'll check that out as well. Oh, and I get Saga in trades, so it's those and most of the VEI stuff thus far.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

chriskay99 wrote:
IMO, Lazarus is one of the best titles out there right now. It's the first time I've loved a book by Rucka (He's had a few titles which were OK, but nothing like this).

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

chriskay99 wrote:Nice! Thanks for the feedback on Lazarus, Dunlow and kjjohanson. Looks like I'll be making a stop at the comic shop on my way home tomorrow to see what they have in stock for Lazarus.

As for what I'm reading, I'm finally branching out beyond Valiant since that's what got me restarted in comics in 2012. I dropped Quantum and Woody, and will probably drop Bloodshot after the A&A crossover. I may consider ditching some other VEI titles since I'm not über enthusiastic about certain ones, and am finding good stuff from other publishers. I already added Manifest Destiny to my pull file. I got the first few issues of Black Science and think I'll continue picking that up for the time being. I've heard 3 good recommendations for Lazarus so I'll check that out as well. Oh, and I get Saga in trades, so it's those and most of the VEI stuff thus far.

Brother.... TRUST ME..... get East of West. AMAZING!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
chriskay99 wrote:Nice! Thanks for the feedback on Lazarus, Dunlow and kjjohanson. Looks like I'll be making a stop at the comic shop on my way home tomorrow to see what they have in stock for Lazarus.

Not in terms of tone, or story, or any of that, but in terms of quality...are we talking potential for alltime great, such as another Sandman, Watchmen, Y or Fables, or are we talking more like simply one of the best of the era, something more akin to Robinson and Harris on Starman or Miller's run on Daredevil/Fraction's & Brubaker's on Iron Fist?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

My personal opinion on East of West is that it will be a great - up there with Sandman, etc. As far as how much I like the opening arc, and how much it improves in the second arc (TPB would be more appropriate than arc, as I see no natural delineation of separate arcs so far) it is currently better than Sandman (if you compare issue to issue). If it continues on its current trajectory and delivers on some of the things I have built up in my imagination as I speculate wildly in my head, then it will far surpass Sandman (which is my favorite work of art, period).

I could totally see lots of people not liking this book at all, and in fact, I would wager the audience for East of West is much smaller than Sandman (for example, Gaiman is far superior at writing female characters than Hickman). However, the fun factor of this book makes up for anything it lacks. Sandman was almost always very heavy in it's tone. East of West balances humor with the heavy elements. Lots of deep issues are tackled - justice, love, hate, war, power, corruption, but it never feels heavy, similar to the tone of a Tarantino film. Hickman never takes himself too seriously in this book. There are a lot of similarities to Pretty Deadly, and the art of the book is phenomenal, but I just didn't enjoy it much. I think that is because the book takes itself too seriously. There is no humor. I need humor in dark stories. If I want to be depressed I'll look up from my books to the news and the real world. Some of the best stories about bad things have tons of humor - Life is Beautiful comes to mind. An example of the other case is The Once and Future King by T.H. White - it is one of the best books I've read, and very emotional. However, the humor and lightness of the early life of King Arthur is completely overshadowed by the oppressive heavy tone of the end. There is no hope, no lightness. I love that book, but I will probably never read it again.

I can see East of West becoming something else entirely. It is just too awesome for words. Art and writing are perfect complements, and the sheer number of awesome characters is only rivaled by Sandman. I have never re-read a set of books more than I have East of West. It is just too good.

Also - mother- *SQUEE*' RANGERS, man!!!!

Edit: I feel it necessary to post this once again:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Not in terms of tone, or story, or any of that, but in terms of quality...are we talking potential for alltime great, such as another Sandman, Watchmen, Y or Fables, or are we talking more like simply one of the best of the era, something more akin to Robinson and Harris on Starman or Miller's run on Daredevil/Fraction's & Brubaker's on Iron Fist?
I think there is the potential for being in the same "ballpark" of: sandman, fables. I like it better than Saga and Chew.
If I was to Keep it 90, all my monthly comics in one pile and only 1 book I could read..... It would be a hard hard decision between Habry, XO, and EoW. My heart would lead me to Joshbert Dy-Ditti..... but if someone chose EoW over Harby-Manowar, I could see it.

The big big thing (besides crazy good storytelling) that Fables and Sandman have is longevity. If EoW can go for the next 5 years, the potential for greastness is there.

If I was to describe EoW in one word it wold be - Epic. It has urgency, it has complex and dpeth of character for a reason, the art and tone is GREAT. I love the coloring. It feels massive but easily attainable.

Bottom line, I love this book. At shows I pimp Valiant.... the only other book I really push is EoW.