The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall
Re: 3DJoes.com

Post by Heath »

Carson wrote:Interesting, the Sgt. Savage cartoon looks more like the bulky, over-exxagerated Extreme figure.

Did you ever watch this cartoon? Check out the Cobra Commander cameo: http://youtu.be/KZC7vtK5IQ4?t=15m50s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I watched it a couple times right after buying the figure with the VHS at WalMart. I haven't watched it since. I remember disliking the visual style, but otherwise enjoying it.

Joe Kubert did a lot of work for the Sgt. Savage line. Character designs, packaging artwork, and the mini-comic that was serialized with each figure. There's definitely some Sgt. Rock & Sgt. Fury influences on the line. Completely different from Extreme.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

Ever wanted to see all of the G.I. Joe filecards in one place? I'm building a virtual Rolodex!

1982-1985, also know as "the peach years" (for the peach file card color) are now complete. Check them out over on The G.I. Joe Rolodex:

The G.I. Joe Rolodex: The Digital File Card Repository - 3DJOES

I'm re-trimming all of the file cards as I go, to clean them up and make the Rolodex look more uniform. I'm also updating these on each character page, so it takes a while. Stay tuned for 1986-1994 updates.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Heath wrote:
Carson wrote:Interesting, the Sgt. Savage cartoon looks more like the bulky, over-exxagerated Extreme figure.

Did you ever watch this cartoon? Check out the Cobra Commander cameo: http://youtu.be/KZC7vtK5IQ4?t=15m50s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I watched it a couple times right after buying the figure with the VHS at WalMart. I haven't watched it since. I remember disliking the visual style, but otherwise enjoying it.

Joe Kubert did a lot of work for the Sgt. Savage line. Character designs, packaging artwork, and the mini-comic that was serialized with each figure. There's definitely some Sgt. Rock & Sgt. Fury influences on the line. Completely different from Extreme.
I didn't like the animation style either! I wish they would've tried to emulate Joe Kubert the packaging artwork, although obviously less detailed or sketchy.

Carson
Eight more 1988 vehicles have arrived!

Post by Carson »

The Cobra forces have stepped their game up with the Cobra Adder, Battle Barge, BUGG, IMP and Stellar Stiletto! The Joes have responded in kind with the Desert Fox 6 W.D., the Skystorm X-Wing Chopper and the Swampmasher! Head over to the 1988 vehicle overview to see them all: 1988 Overview - 3DJOES

Another HUGE thank you goes out to the Yo Joe Outlet & Museum Center for loaning us these vehicles!

Carson

Post by Carson »

I just posted BIG video update featuring over 35 new videos!

I found a couple new 1982 and 1983 toy commercials, so check out those pages. I added a page of cartoon commercials, another with the awesome animated comic book commercials, and another still featuring other merchandise tie-in commercials. If you find any commercials I'm missing, please contact me with a link and I'll add them.

If that weren’t enough, I added two more fan films: H.A.V.O.C. by Hezekiah Jones (do NOT miss this one!) and the JoeCon 2014 Cosplay video!

Know of another great G.I. Joe fan film I should feature? Contact me through Facebook or Twitter and I'll add them. Yo Joe!

Let's kick it off with the animated comic book commercials, shall we?

http://www.3djoes.com/comic-commercials.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson
The Iron Grenadiers have arrived!

Post by Carson »

Destro has had enough of Cobra Commander's shenanigans! In 1988 he upgraded his silver head to gold and built an army made of Anti-Gravity Pods (A.G.P.s) and Dual Elevating Multi-Ordinance Neutralizers (D.E.M.O.N.s). He leads this new army from the seat of his Despoiler! Check them all out over on the 1988 vehicle overview.

1988 Overview - 3DJOES

Another HUGE thank you goes out to the Yo Joe Outlet & Museum Center for loaning us these vehicles!

Carson
The 1988 Action Packs and Vehicle Packs have arrived!

Post by Carson »

After the success of the 1987 Motorized Action Packs, Hasbro doubled down on the concept in 1988 by releasing 11 new Action Packs and Vehicle Packs. From motorized double spinning machine guns to gyrocopters with working rotor blades, ATVs with working wheels, and scuba packs with spinning propellers - this year had it all! I remember playing with some of these as a kid and they were just flat out fun accessories that enriched playtime. Ah the good old days, when toys were all about playability!

Check them out over on the 1988 vehicle overview:
http://www.3djoes.com/1988-overview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson
The Tomahawk has landed!

Post by Carson »

Finally, the baddest G.I. Joe helicopter has landed over on 3DJoes. This beauty carries 7 troops and features 8 missiles, 5 removable engine covers, two window guns, one winch and a rotating tilting front canon/camera turret. Oh, and don't forget the hinged cargo door and canopy glass!

There area just too many details to capture in 360 spins, so I added 20 detailed close up photos. Let me know what you think of that new addition to the site in the comments!

Tomahawk - 3DJOES

Heath

Post by Heath »

My cousin had one and it was awesome!

Carson
Warthog!

Post by Carson »

Sergeant Slaughter's awesome Amphibious Infantry Fighting Vehicle has arrived! The Warthog carries 9 Joes across land and sea. This rolling, floating monstrosity features 12 smoke grenade launchers, two 2-stage torpedo missiles, a 20mm shipboard machine gun, three operator stations up front and seating for six more troops in the rear. Check out the detailed image gallery to see close ups of the sculpt and play features.

http://www.3djoes.com/warthog-aifv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson
The Killer W.H.A.L.E. has arrived!

Post by Carson »

The Killer W.H.A.L.E. (Warrior Hovering Assault Launching Envoy) is the grandaddy of all amphibious infantry vehicles! It is heavily armed with two 120MM "pounder" canons, eight surface to air missiles, six (floating) depth charges and two machine gun turrets. It holds up to nine troops and features push button rear fans and a deployable recon sled and surveillance cycle! This behemoth floats on water and rolls on land. Check out the detailed image gallery to see close ups of the sculpt and play features.

http://www.3djoes.com/killer-whale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heath

Post by Heath »

Other than the USS FLAGG, this was the vehicle I dreamed about having the most. I have one now, and I don't remember where I got it, but it's missing almost everything. Just an empty shell. Makes me sad to look at it.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Heath wrote:Other than the USS FLAGG, this was the vehicle I dreamed about having the most. I have one now, and I don't remember where I got it, but it's missing almost everything. Just an empty shell. Makes me sad to look at it.
Half the fun is chasing parts to complete the vehicles :thumb:

Or, if you don't mind a couple broken tabs, here's a great price on a complete one :twisted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-Killer-W ... 27e39726a4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson
The original GI Joe Micro Figures have arrived!

Post by Carson »

The original GI Joe Micro Figures have arrived!

Originally packed individually with carded Joes and Cobras in 1989, they were later sold as a set.

Check out all 20 of these little plastic army men over on 3DJoes:
http://www.3djoes.com/micro-figures.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Anyone know why were the ladies of GI Joe and Cobra were excluded?)

Carson
Statues have arrived!

Post by Carson »

The 1980s A Real American Hero line is timeless. It spawned dozens of characters that have gone on to enjoy decades of artistic reinterpretation and recreation in action figures, comics, cartoons and movies. There have been some truly beautiful sculptures created over the years. I have not yet collected most of them, but I've decided to share what I have on 3DJoes. Roll over the Modern tab on the navigation bar at the top of 3DJoes to view statues from Sideshow Collectibles, Diamond Select Toys and Palisades Toys. Be sure to also visit the Palisades overview page to see seven of their wonderful statues on one page.

Palisades Overview - 3DJOES

Carson

Post by Carson »

Free poster contest!

Fellow Joe fanatic Formbx257 has posted a review of 3DJoes (on Blip and YouTube) and is offering two free sets of "3DJoes of the 80s" and "3DJoes of the 90s" to one commenter on each channel. Go watch the video, leave a comment on both channels, and subscribe for more great G.I. Joe reviews!

http://youtu.be/GtoaFVNRDnQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Carson
KickStarter Project update #02

Post by Carson »

I photographed the Falcon and Viper Gliders last weekend using my new equipment, and I just finished touching them up.

The cellophane windows create some nasty glares, so I'm doing some photoshop trickery to get the figures in there glare free. When it’s time to print, I'm going to add gloss to the figure windows to make them shiny. It’s gonna be awesome! This image shows how well the gloss worked on the the first carded figure poster.
http://www.3djoes.com/uploads/1/3/3/9/1 ... 0_orig.jpg

The Flacon and Viper Glider’s box art are now live on 3DJoes, along with 360 spins, close up photos, blueprints and commercials. Have a look!

Cobra Viper Glider - 3DJOES
Falcon Glider - 3DJOES

If you haven't pledged yet, please do! With any luck, we'll get to do all three posters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/79 ... e-and-vehi

Carson

Post by Carson »

I've photographed all of the 1982-1983 vehicle boxes using my new equipment, and I’m working my way through touching each of them up. Some of these vehicle boxes can take hours to retouch. Here’s a before and after shot of the 1982 HAL. You’ll notice 5 major areas have been retouched. It’s a labor of love.

As I mentioned in the last update, I'm going to add gloss to the figure windows to make them shiny. It’s gonna be awesome! This image shows how well the gloss worked on the the first carded figure poster.
http://www.3djoes.com/uploads/1/3/3/9/1 ... 0_orig.jpg

If you haven't pledged yet, please do! With any luck, we'll get to do all three posters.

Carson
Pristine new box art on 3DJoes!

Post by Carson »

The 1982 and 1983 vehicle and playset box art continues to be upgraded as I develop the new vehicle poster. Check out the 1982 Cobra Missile Command Headquarters, FLAK, HAL, RAM and VAMP, and the 1983 Polar Battle Bear, JUMP, Whirlwind and Wolverine pages to see the latest updates!

Cobra Missile Command Headquarters - 3DJOES
FLAK - 3DJOES
HAL - 3DJOES
RAM - 3DJOES
VAMP - 3DJOES
Polar Battle Bear - 3DJOES
JUMP - 3DJOES
Whirlwind - 3DJOES
Wolverine - 3DJOES

You can Get all of this art on one poster! Please pledge today to help me print it!

Carson

Post by Carson »

The 3DJoes 1982-1983 vehicle poster is almost complete! There are only four more dimmed out placeholder photos left to replace.

The 1982 vehicles now fill the first two rows, and I ditched the 1982 catalog art of Grunt to make more room for the vehicles. I'm keeping the 1983 catalog cover because it is an amazing rendering of the vehicles all together.

To date, I've spent over 40 hours in Photoshop retouching the 20 final images. The before and after image below shows how I restored one vehicle box.

I put my heart into these posters, and I hope it shows. I could not produce them without your help. So, thank you again for helping me do what I love.

Yo Joe!

Carson

PS If you haven't pledged towards the 3DJoes Kickstarter yet, please consider doing so at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/79 ... e-and-vehi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson

Post by Carson »

The "Yo Joe!" postcard is ready to print! I've recreated the 1985 catalog art with the original action figures and touched up several imperfections on the catalog scan.

With two weeks to go we are only $1,200 from unlocking the second poster! Please tell your friends about this campaign and share it via social media. With your help we'll close out strong and make some posters!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/79 ... sts/957391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carson

Post by Carson »

The 1983 G.I. Joe APC has arrived, and it’s carrying up to 28 G.I. Joe Soldiers!. There are only two more placeholder photos left to replace and this poster is ready to print.

Some of these vehicle boxes can take hours to retouch. Here’s a before and after shot of the 1983 APC. You’ll notice 5 major areas have been retouched, fixing wrinkles and creases, and removing price tags and tape. It’s a labor of love.

With 13 days to go we are less than $1,200 from unlocking the second poster! Please tell your friends about this campaign and share it via social media. With your help we'll close out strong and make 2-3 new posters!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/79 ... sts/957391

Yo Joe!

Carson

Carson

Post by Carson »

This has been a big week. We hit 100 backers and I finished the "3DJoes Vehicles" (1982-1983) poster! I'd like to say THANK YOU to all 100 of you: my friends, family and fellow Joe fanatics.

Here's a look at the final "3DJoes Vehicles" (1982-1983) poster!

The next image shows in blue where the gloss will go. The figure windows will be glossy while the rest of the poster is matte. This emulates their real-world reflectivity in the right light. I used this technique on the first carded figure poster and it looks great!

Note: I did not add gloss over Ace since his image was printed right on the box. He didn't get a clear plastic window like the rest.

Only six days to go and there's less than $1,000 left to raise! If you've been on the fence, jump off and help us hit the third goal!

Thank you all for helping me do what I do,
Carson

Carson

Post by Carson »

We did it! We hit the third goal!

A huge THANK YOU to all that have pledged.

Please note that everyone that pledges at ANY level is eligible for HALF OFF on the previous three posters, and the fitted hats will NOT be available after the kickstarter.

The campaign ends Wednesday at 8pm EST, so if you're on the fence, now is the time to pledge!

Carson

Post by Carson »

3DJoes Kickstarter postcards and hats have shipped! Check out more update info, including a video showing the AccuFoil printing (ooh, shiny!) over on the Kickstarter Update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/79 ... ts/1007330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;