What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by lorddunlow »

nscc wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Also, you should definitely check out Revival. It's in my top five monthly reads. Great, engrossing story with wonderful fleshed out characters. There is a beautiful HC for the first 11 issues. I'm actually going to get it. I'm going to see if Mike Norton will have copies with him when he attends a small con here in September.

I do 90% of my Image comic digital only since I can buy them DRM-free directly from Image. They had a massive sale last winter and I loaded up. I hope they do the same this year.
To clarify, I have read Eow and revival and manhattan projects and some of morning glories.

I just haven't bought them, but in borrowed trades or borrowed comixology account (I know, I am a terrible human being and I should be shot for violating the TOS ;))

I might pick them up digitally though on the next sale, good idea.

My problem is my "nerd-budget" as my girlfriend refers to it, is shared with comics and MTG stuff now since my buddy got me back into it... so I have to be choosey and since my buddy buys via comixology... free is hard to turn down :)
Gotcha. I see no ethical dilemma in borrowing from a friend's Comixology account. What's the difference in borrowing it from him in hard copy? (I guess you could say he doesn't have his hard copy when you borrow it, but what are the chances you both will be reading it simultaneously.)

I read 99.999% digitally. The paper copies I get are either for collectability or because I cannot obtain DRM-free digital copies, so I pay the company for a DRM-free digital copy (downloaded via debatably ethical/legal methods) by purchasing a print copy. There are a few books that I plan or already have purchased deluxe HC for: Revival, Chew (Smorgasbord editions), VEI books; I'm also considering picking up the Wasteland Omnibi since I enjoy Umbral so much.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

lorddunlow wrote:
Gotcha. I see no ethical dilemma in borrowing from a friend's Comixology account. What's the difference in borrowing it from him in hard copy? (I guess you could say he doesn't have his hard copy when you borrow it, but what are the chances you both will be reading it simultaneously.)

I read 99.999% digitally. The paper copies I get are either for collectability or because I cannot obtain DRM-free digital copies, so I pay the company for a DRM-free digital copy (downloaded via debatably ethical/legal methods) by purchasing a print copy. There are a few books that I plan or already have purchased deluxe HC for: Revival, Chew (Smorgasbord editions), VEI books; I'm also considering picking up the Wasteland Omnibi since I enjoy Umbral so much.
I see no issue with it either, same as downloading from torrents, but apparently comixology does. My friend read the TOS and said we are not supposed to share, so he figured it would get noticed somehow, but it has not yet.

I hate DRM, hate hate hate. Ever since it started with music many years ago, I have been against, so I won't buy from comixology myself, just the free titles and my friends account.

I do kinda the same thing, buy it if I download and like it. Its the same in my mind as being able to flip through an issue in a shop. Ed's shop is over 3500 miles from me, so downloads are the only option I have for that :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

lorddunlow wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:My subscription list:

Hellboy in Hell
BPRD
Abe Sapien
Conan the Avenger
King Conan the Conquerer
Star Wars Legacy
Moon Knight
Winterworld
Spawn
Walking Dead
Frankenstein Alive, Alive
The Black Beetle
Prophet
Prophet Strike File
Madame Frankenstein
Outcast
Rogue Trooper
Rogue Trooper Classics

and....
ALL IN VALIANT!

Not a big DC or Marvel fan. I also collect Skywald horror comics, Creepy Archives, and Eerie Archives.

Have you read any of the Top Cow stuff recently? Judging by your pull list, you would probably enjoy a lot of what they put out. I'm really enjoying Aphrodite IX and Cyberforce. I think I would like Witchblade and the Darkness, but that's a big backlog to catch up on. I also really enjoyed the first issue of Rise of the Magi.

You should also check out Revival.

And last, but certainly not least, you MUST read East of West. It is the best comic book, ever.
I'm not a Top Cow fan. I gave a few books a try a few years ago and nothing snagged me.

I might get East of West as a TPB, I have read them up to current, just stopped subscribing when I found out my brother was grabbing them, so I have been reading his. Reminds me of Dune for some weird reason.

I may give Revival a try, seems like the horror yarn I tend to enjoy. I just never liked Hack and Slash, and I LOVE slashers, but it really did very little for me, so I'm a bit apprehensive about Revival.

And no...the Prophet Strikefile is not out yet. I also forgot to mention I am subscribed to Swamp Thing, but I am considering dropping it. DC sucks!

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

QUARTZ wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:My subscription list:

Hellboy in Hell
BPRD
Abe Sapien
Conan the Avenger
King Conan the Conquerer
Star Wars Legacy
Moon Knight
Winterworld
Spawn
Walking Dead
Frankenstein Alive, Alive
The Black Beetle
Prophet
Prophet Strike File
Madame Frankenstein
Outcast
Rogue Trooper
Rogue Trooper Classics

and....
ALL IN VALIANT!

Not a big DC or Marvel fan. I also collect Skywald horror comics, Creepy Archives, and Eerie Archives.

Have you read any of the Top Cow stuff recently? Judging by your pull list, you would probably enjoy a lot of what they put out. I'm really enjoying Aphrodite IX and Cyberforce. I think I would like Witchblade and the Darkness, but that's a big backlog to catch up on. I also really enjoyed the first issue of Rise of the Magi.

You should also check out Revival.

And last, but certainly not least, you MUST read East of West. It is the best comic book, ever.
I'm not a Top Cow fan. I gave a few books a try a few years ago and nothing snagged me.

I might get East of West as a TPB, I have read them up to current, just stopped subscribing when I found out my brother was grabbing them, so I have been reading his. Reminds me of Dune for some weird reason.

I may give Revival a try, seems like the horror yarn I tend to enjoy. I just never liked Hack and Slash, and I LOVE slashers, but it really did very little for me, so I'm a bit apprehensive about Revival.

And no...the Prophet Strikefile is not out yet. I also forgot to mention I am subscribed to Swamp Thing, but I am considering dropping it. DC sucks!
in my head top cow never left the 90s

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote: I'm also considering picking up the Wasteland Omnibi since I enjoy Umbral so much.
I picked up the first two TPB's of Wasteland a couple of weeks ago it's really good man i think you'll enjoy it.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

hmm wasteland omnibus? i'm interested.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

lorddunlow wrote: Have you read any of the Top Cow stuff recently? Judging by your pull list, you would probably enjoy a lot of what they put out. I'm really enjoying Aphrodite IX and Cyberforce. I think I would like Witchblade and the Darkness, but that's a big backlog to catch up on. I also really enjoyed the first issue of Rise of the Magi.

How would you compare Top Cow's books to VEI? I loved some Cyberforce back in the day and was a wee bit curious about the new Cyberforce. I know nothing about Aphrodite IX.
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: Have you read any of the Top Cow stuff recently? Judging by your pull list, you would probably enjoy a lot of what they put out. I'm really enjoying Aphrodite IX and Cyberforce. I think I would like Witchblade and the Darkness, but that's a big backlog to catch up on. I also really enjoyed the first issue of Rise of the Magi.

How would you compare Top Cow's books to VEI? I loved some Cyberforce back in the day and was a wee bit curious about the new Cyberforce. I know nothing about Aphrodite IX.
Apples and oranges.

Top Cow has some excellent art and writing and the characters were always cool to me.

Aphrodite IX is written by Matt Hawkins - I recommend checking out anything by him.

It really is great stuff. You can check out most of their first issues for free and Cyberforce 1-5 are completely free due to the Kickstarter that got it started.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

Some cool reads yesterday. I particularly enjoyed Winterworld. I thought the art was spot on, awesome, and I love those Road Warrior "end of the world" type scenarios. The relationship between the protagonists reminds me of The Last of Us, which I am also a fan of. And being from upstate NY I am pretty familiar with long winters and the feeling of bitter cold. Good stuff. Glad I subscribed to it.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

last night I read Unity #8, Harbinger #24 and Thor God of Thunder #23. loved them all

also still trying to get through some late 90's spidey. i'm up to the vol 2 reboot. the more of it that i read the more I want to kick Howard Mackie in the nuts.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

anybody reading auteur? what a weird *SQUEE* book. I can't cut it from my pull list because every time it comes out i'm left thinking what the *SQUEE* else is this nut job going to do?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

After watching XMen:DoFP last week, I decided to pull out my beat up trade collection of the original comics for a read through (smallest TPB ever? Just two comics!). Good stuff, haven't read any classic Marvel in quite some time.

Also got inspired to finally read the OGN "God loves, Man kills" too, in keeping with reading XMen comics that inspired the movie plots. It was nice to get sucked back into the close-knit family feeling that Claremont built up in that era.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Read Trees and Wildfire. Meh so far. Although, I suppose both are good set up issues. I really hate in today's era of supreme decompression, that one usually cannot tell anything about the series from the first issue. It usually takes one entire arc. That's not true for all books (East of West, Rai, Unity, Revival), but most of them.

Oh, and before some smart *SQUEE* comes along to say, "but there is sooooo much more characterization today," I don't feel that either of these books accomplished any characterization. Both appear to be complicated stories, so the first issues are essentially just explaining the situation in each world. In Trees, the whole first issue just feels like a longform solicit, really.

Trees is free from Image directly (or Comixology if you are so inclined) for a limited time. Seems like it might be a cool story. I won't pay more than 99 cents an issue, though.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:Read Trees and Wildfire. Meh so far. Although, I suppose both are good set up issues. I really hate in today's era of supreme decompression, that one usually cannot tell anything about the series from the first issue. It usually takes one entire arc. That's not true for all books (East of West, Rai, Unity, Revival), but most of them.

Oh, and before some smart *SQUEE* comes along to say, "but there is sooooo much more characterization today," I don't feel that either of these books accomplished any characterization. Both appear to be complicated stories, so the first issues are essentially just explaining the situation in each world. In Trees, the whole first issue just feels like a longform solicit, really.

Trees is free from Image directly (or Comixology if you are so inclined) for a limited time. Seems like it might be a cool story. I won't pay more than 99 cents an issue, though.
I loved the first issue of trees. Thought it was one of the better first issues i've ready in a long time. I agree about most first issues being week. That tells me a lot tho. It tells me I shouldn't be buying the comic and i don't. If the writer and artist can't capture me in one issue I figure they can't in 5. I save a lot of money this way :)

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ilzuccone wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Read Trees and Wildfire. Meh so far. Although, I suppose both are good set up issues. I really hate in today's era of supreme decompression, that one usually cannot tell anything about the series from the first issue. It usually takes one entire arc. That's not true for all books (East of West, Rai, Unity, Revival), but most of them.

I loved the first issue of trees. Thought it was one of the better first issues i've ready in a long time. I agree about most first issues being week. That tells me a lot tho. It tells me I shouldn't be buying the comic and i don't. If the writer and artist can't capture me in one issue I figure they can't in 5. I save a lot of money this way :)
I liked Trees #1 as well - agree about it being a large setup issue, but I was intrigued by the overall world setting of it. I'll be picking up #2 this week for sure.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:

I liked Trees #1 as well - agree about it being a large setup issue, but I was intrigued by the overall world setting of it. I'll be picking up #2 this week for sure.
Intrigued for sure, but it felt like a preview more than a complete comic.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:

It had an ambitious number of storyline threads for a single issue (a clever person might say 'branches') - hopefully it makes for a great payoff in time.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:

It had an ambitious number of storyline threads for a single issue (a clever person might say 'branches') - hopefully it makes for a great payoff in time.
for me Trees hits on a lot of the points i dig in story telling. also on a personal fear.... KILLER DRONES.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Batman Year Zero i'm almost caught up to the most current issue it's been a really fun read so far. a bit over the top at times but i'm enjoying it. Also read the first few Batman: Eternal issues and it's not too bad either. not earth shattering by any means but enjoyable.

also started reading the latest Guardians of the Galaxy series. not bad so far really love the McNiven art. got a bit *SQUEE* off at it once i hit issues that crossover with the infinity book but i'll keep checking it out.

still suffering through late 90's Spidey. i tried to read the Spider-Man: Chapter One series but had to stop after 3 issues. I now want to kick John Byrne in the nuts for this piece of crap.

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:Batman Year Zero i'm almost caught up to the most current issue it's been a really fun read so far. a bit over the top at times but i'm enjoying it. Also read the first few Batman: Eternal issues and it's not too bad either. not earth shattering by any means but enjoyable.

also started reading the latest Guardians of the Galaxy series. not bad so far really love the McNiven art. got a bit *SQUEE* off at it once i hit issues that crossover with the infinity book but i'll keep checking it out.

still suffering through late 90's Spidey. i tried to read the Spider-Man: Chapter One series but had to stop after 3 issues. I now want to kick John Byrne in the nuts for this piece of crap.

I really dig the Guardians of the Galaxy. The Infinity crossover is what got me reading this book, so I can't relate there. There is another crossover with All New X-men coming up as you read. It's a 4 (or 5) part story that has 2 of it's chapters in the All New X-men. It might cheese you off, but it's an excellent story (which Marvel has once again drawn me to want to read another book - damn you, Marvel!)

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

SubLife Vol. 1 by John Pham - I like the illustration and the story of two astronauts that encounter an alien is great. The story takes place on the inside of the front and back cover.

Secret Voice #1 (Study Group Comics) - Zac Soto - This was a great book. A strange story about a Darkmanesque guy who fights trolls (that's the simplified version). I love the way this book is colored.

It Will All Hurt #1 (Study Group Comics) - Farel Dalrymple - This book had some really beautiful artwork. I love the way Study Group comics prints it's books. It's on newsprint like paper and the colors of the books are really interesting. They definitely have a feel unlike any other books I see on the shelf.

Chew Vols. 1-4 - This is a fantastic series. It's clever, inventive and very amusing. I love not knowing what is going to come next. There is some wacky stuff in this book but it all works and fits with the universe they've created. What a great ride!

Batman Year 1 - I had never read this before but it's easily one of the best comics I've ever read. I would read a lot more Batman if he was written like Miller wrote him in this series. I love Mazzucchelli's artwork. Since I was a kid, I've loved the character of Batman but I've always been disappointed with the comic. I loved the 60's show, Burton and Nolan's Batman and most of all the Animated Series (still my favorite Batman) but I've never gotten into the comics. However, if more of them were like Miller's Year 1 Batman, I probably would be.

Batman: Court of Owls Vol. 1 - It was okay. The "maze" issue was interestingly done. The revisionist history really took me out of the book.
Multum In Parvo

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote: I really dig the Guardians of the Galaxy. The Infinity crossover is what got me reading this book, so I can't relate there. There is another crossover with All New X-men coming up as you read. It's a 4 (or 5) part story that has 2 of it's chapters in the All New X-men. It might cheese you off, but it's an excellent story (which Marvel has once again drawn me to want to read another book - damn you, Marvel!)
it only *SQUEE* me off because now i have to get those to read the whole story, nothing to do with the quality.

PSN- gorakthebunny

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

The Dirt Gang wrote: Batman Year 1 - I had never read this before but it's easily one of the best comics I've ever read. I would read a lot more Batman if he was written like Miller wrote him in this series. I love Mazzucchelli's artwork. Since I was a kid, I've loved the character of Batman but I've always been disappointed with the comic. I loved the 60's show, Burton and Nolan's Batman and most of all the Animated Series (still my favorite Batman) but I've never gotten into the comics. However, if more of them were like Miller's Year 1 Batman, I probably would be.
still one of my all time favs. Have you ever read Daredevil: Born Again? if you haven't it's another brilliant Miller/Mazzucchelli collaboration.

PSN- gorakthebunny

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote: Batman Year 1 - I had never read this before but it's easily one of the best comics I've ever read. I would read a lot more Batman if he was written like Miller wrote him in this series. I love Mazzucchelli's artwork. Since I was a kid, I've loved the character of Batman but I've always been disappointed with the comic. I loved the 60's show, Burton and Nolan's Batman and most of all the Animated Series (still my favorite Batman) but I've never gotten into the comics. However, if more of them were like Miller's Year 1 Batman, I probably would be.
still one of my all time favs. Have you ever read Daredevil: Born Again? if you haven't it's another brilliant Miller/Mazzucchelli collaboration.
I have not. It's one I've been meaning to read for a long time. I'm definitely going to track it down now.
Multum In Parvo

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

In the last few (maybe more like 10-12) months I have read a ton of stuff recommended from this thread.

I am pretty much caught up with VEI, a month-ish behind since I have mine mailed to me once a month from Ed..

I've kinda given up on reading VH1, except for pre-unity and some gems, the new VEI is far superior imho. Someday I will try to finish the rest, but there is so much other great stuff I want to read. (Malev war was something I never read before so its got priority when I get back to it).

Hickmans FF run: I loved it!! All of the classic characters make appearances and the children are hilarious.

PunisherMax by garth Ennis. This was some great reading here, I never was much into the punisher as a kid but this is a great collection. The last arc or 2... I don't think were the best... but I don't remember being disgusted at the end so it couldnt have been THAT bad :lol:

Read the first 100ish issues of Amazing spider-man, wow it is sure corny, but I laughed alot and had a lot of great moments. I'd only read some of the reprints as a kid, so it was nice to read em all collected in a row.

Captain America: winter soldier run by Ed brubaker, this is also kick-*SQUEE*! I was never a big fan of cap, but this was a great read.

daredevil: brubaker run where it ends with going back to original number of 500. I still plan to read some of the waid DD, but not for a bit anyway...

X-men: god loves, man kills. Still holds up today

read civil war (not the tie-ins, just the series), not too bad when read like that in one chunk.

Finally read Thanos quest, and infinity gauntlet, really enjoyed them. Someday I'll prob start on infinity war/quest, but not yet...

Re-read Old man Logan. This has to be one of my favorites. LOVE IT!

DC:

Batman: The long halloween and Hush. these were also great!
Vengeance of bane, never read as a kid, not too shabby.

The nail and another nail: elseworlds justice league.
Gotham by gaslight

Injustice: the current series. This is great. I think I prefer most of DC in elseworlds stories except for batman.

Fables is amazing, I haven't read in a bit, but I am at vol16 or 17. Some of the later stories don't really have that magic feeling of the first 1/2 but I still plan on continuing.

Sandman: I am re-reading all the original series before I grab any of the new mini. It and the 2 death trades are some of my favorites from any medium and deserve a re-read every couple years at least :)

I am sure I have read a ton more, but this is the stuff that sticks out in my brain right now.

I have all of YOU to thank for these recommendations... so thanks much :clap: .
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?