Project Black Sky

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
Re: Project Black Sky

Post by mateo107 »

BugsySig wrote: Captain Midnight is Public Domain. Not sure on Brain Boy. He was an old Dell property prior to Gold Key. I think he may be Public Domain as well.
yes, he is.

http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/25-324 ... ky-sampler

Just now I found out about this. Atleast Dark Horse has not given up on Project Black Sky. They still need to advertise it more, but this is a start.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Aomalle27 wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:It's all in the execution. Deathmate was indeed largely Image's fault. They were literally making it up as they went along.

There are indeed matchups/teamups that would be cool.

X & Bloodshot (the fighters)
Ghost & Dr.Mirage (the spiritual/supernatural)
Occultist & Shadowman (the occult)
Harada & Darque (the evil)
King Tiger & Ninjak (the martial arts)
Captain Midnight & XO (two men from the past w/technology)

I would expect more imagination from this crowd.

I would expect a VEI/ PBS fan to know Harada and Darque are both VEI properties...
Now Harada and Tempus, or Harada and Archon? Maybe Having Gamble go against Bloodshot
and Brain Boy square off against a Harbinger? ( thinking cool, but again neither company would
want their respective properties looking like chumps)
And despite Image being mostly to blame for Deathmate disaster, it remains that it was a disaster, plus
Valiant 1.0 should have thought out the semantics of the deal with Image before the event
Still have yet to hear of cross company event promotion that really succeeded
Oh, come off the pretentiousness, no need to be jerky about it man, in my enthusiasm I simply slipped up. facepalm

I would've gotten that Project Black Sky sampler if they had included even just one original short story.
It's a nice intro package at that price for anyone who is curious though.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Captain Craig wrote:
Aomalle27 wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:It's all in the execution. Deathmate was indeed largely Image's fault. They were literally making it up as they went along.

There are indeed matchups/teamups that would be cool.

X & Bloodshot (the fighters)
Ghost & Dr.Mirage (the spiritual/supernatural)
Occultist & Shadowman (the occult)
Harada & Darque (the evil)
King Tiger & Ninjak (the martial arts)
Captain Midnight & XO (two men from the past w/technology)

I would expect more imagination from this crowd.

I would expect a VEI/ PBS fan to know Harada and Darque are both VEI properties...
Now Harada and Tempus, or Harada and Archon? Maybe Having Gamble go against Bloodshot
and Brain Boy square off against a Harbinger? ( thinking cool, but again neither company would
want their respective properties looking like chumps)
And despite Image being mostly to blame for Deathmate disaster, it remains that it was a disaster, plus
Valiant 1.0 should have thought out the semantics of the deal with Image before the event
Still have yet to hear of cross company event promotion that really succeeded
Oh, come off the pretentiousness, no need to be jerky about it man, in my enthusiasm I simply slipped up. facepalm

I would've gotten that Project Black Sky sampler if they had included even just one original short story.
It's a nice intro package at that price for anyone who is curious though.
Sorry, man. Rules is rules. You're off the island. :P
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

mateo107
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

Thomas wrote:https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/25-324 ... ky-sampler

Just now I found out about this. Atleast Dark Horse has not given up on Project Black Sky. They still need to advertise it more, but this is a start.
awesome, i just got it. looks like i will be exploring another universe now.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Just took a look at the website with the webcomics for this. Thought they were great spoofs of Marvel and DC and hope they show up again later.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

dornwolf wrote:Just took a look at the website with the webcomics for this. Thought they were great spoofs of Marvel and DC and hope they show up again later.
I was getting a Planetary feel, myself. I like the concept that there are superhero analogues repeated throughout the multiverse, and what an interesting idea that on this "world" they are being squashed right away.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

cray_ws
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by cray_ws »

Looking at DarkHorse line up I can't help but to wonder how they thought their superhero line would have a remote chance. This the third time I've seen them do this. First was Comic's Greatest World, which was pretty ambitious rollout of weekly comics. I don't think they were prepared for anything beyond the rollout. Only GHOST and X managed to continue.

If I recall it was about a year ago DarkHorse rolled out creator-owned superheroes like SLEDGEHAMMER 44, The VICTORIES, The BLACK BEETLE and The ANSWER. These were to go along with re-release of GHOST, CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT, and X. I don't even think it was called "Project Black Sky".

Now less than a year the superhero push is being called "Project Black Sky" with different titles except for GHOST, CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT, and X. I am not sure I understand what they are trying to do, because books like SKYMAN and BRAIN BOY are a departure from GHOST and X. There doesn't seem to be any cohesiveness or any real branding involved. It just like it was thrown together to appease somebody within DarkHorse. I give it less than 8 months and only titles survive are the ones from CGW. GHOST and X.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

^^^^^
8 months from....now?

Project Black Sky has been the branding for all of 2014.

It's a good line. I enjoy it and know sales are less than VALIANT but I'd rather read it than most Marvel/DC titles.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Keith wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Just took a look at the website with the webcomics for this. Thought they were great spoofs of Marvel and DC and hope they show up again later.
I was getting a Planetary feel, myself. I like the concept that there are superhero analogues repeated throughout the multiverse, and what an interesting idea that on this "world" they are being squashed right away.
When they're done well they can be amazing. The Totally-Not-Green Lantern was really good and I'd love to see that variation of the ring come back and have to face Captain Midnight.

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

X#19..... wow what an issue. Really building this arc to a mighty crecendo. Heide, X all scarred/skinned, and Ruidoso and Leigh wondering what to do; lots of new input into what X is, and some interesting insight into the machinations that play in X's head. Phenomenal issue, only complaint is I have to wait til next month to get the conclusion.

Also, just learned ApeX will be returning; this time in the pages of Dark Horse presents
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/11/ ... -and-more/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

Anyone else get the Project Black Sky: Secret Files TPB?
It plays like a parody for the first 2/3 showing alternate timelines of other DC/Marvel characters and how PBS seems aware, if vaguel, of them and their "Wolverine" is an early agent. I won't go into it beyond this cause the last 1/3 is when Brain Boy & Captain Marvel get involved in the present but I enjoyed it.

Next best superhero universe next to VALIANT.

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

Its a "hardcopy" version of the PBS free web comic. And the Brainboy/Captain Midnight feature is a reprint of their FCBD issue. Love the ApeX feature ( he was a part of CGW, Division 13 I believe)

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

I don't do web comics so it was new to me.

It would be nice for Dark Horse to push the line more, I rarely see them doing promo materials for Project Black Sky. Am I just missing them? Would like to see Barb Wire return and I enjoyed the King Tiger backup feature in the Blackout mini.

I did just get caught up on my PBS books.

Ghost #9 was a really solid issue and as the banner says on the cover, a good jumping on point. I like how it really focused on Elisa herself. After the last arc with Von Ghastly some reflection time was needed but to a new reader it also felt like an intro.

X#19 is truly an underrated book. I gotta say X can sure take the punishment. Fighting with his broken bones as weapons! Holy Crap!!
I do like how this arc is giving us more background on X, he's so mysterious even to us the reader about his origins and what wholly drives his motives. Sure, we have tid bits but this arc has been good for some insight. Even if modest.

Skyman One Shot, while I didn't fully embrace and enjoy his initial 4ish mini I found this to be a good one and done story that moves us beyond the elements I didn't like and can just embrace Eric Reid's journey of being a hero now.

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

Looks like Captain Midnight #'s 21-24 will be his last arc ( per DH Feb solicits) it will also feauture Archon, and a DH hero of the late 80's, The Mark! Ill be sad not to have a Cap monthly pull, but supposedly they're working on something else, so fingers crossed, Cap will feature in some way in another book. Also, the solicits for DH presents 7, say there will be a return of ApeX, so Im stoked for
that too

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

I saw that as well about Captain Midnight. I would hope that it's a nice play on words but it's probably not.
Last arc....for the current creative team? I'd take that.
Last arc...as a solo book? It pulls a '&HARD Corps' on us, perhaps becomes a team up book? I'd accept that.

I also know nothing of The Mark so I'm even more intrigued that they'd re-introduce an older superhero concept that's been sitting on the shelf and then just end Captain Midnight.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Aomalle27 wrote:X#19..... wow what an issue. Really building this arc to a mighty crecendo. Heide, X all scarred/skinned, and Ruidoso and Leigh wondering what to do; lots of new input into what X is, and some interesting insight into the machinations that play in X's head. Phenomenal issue, only complaint is I have to wait til next month to get the conclusion.

Also, just learned ApeX will be returning; this time in the pages of Dark Horse presents
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/11/ ... -and-more/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Agreed about X. This series is one of my favorites, period.

Interesting news on DHP. I've been a fan of this series since the early 90's. I have a nearly complete run.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

See that Dark Horse is offering megabundles of their universes this Black Friday. PBS is one of the options, not sure what exactly is included but I think its everything they've released to this point
X 0-19
Blackout 1-4 mini
Skyman 1-4 mini
Skyman one shot
Occultist one shot
Occultist 1-5 mini
Occultist 1-3 mini
Brainboy 0
Brainboy 1-3 mini psy vs psy
Brainboy 1-4 mini the men from Gestalt
Captain Midnight 0-18
Ghost 0
Ghost 1-4 smoke and din
Ghost 1-9
FCBD Cap Midnight/Brainboy
Two past Midnight webcomic/ TpB
Secrets of Project Black Sky webcomic/ TPB
That's 80 issues plus 2 trades to get all caught up
if you're not already reading PBS, a pretty sweet deal
https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1913/dar ... enge-verse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

Captain Midnight #17. Good issue even though it jumped around a bit, and they kinda started it off in the midst of a story. Wish we could've seen the other Sharkbyte tech being floated out in return for criminal endeavors. That said it builds up the coming encounter between Cap and Chuck, can't wait til #18 to see that battle royale. Helios is developing into quite the rogue character too, a baddie you can't help but like, it'll be interesting to see whom he sides with, now that he's got some tech upgrades from Albright. I'm thinking with these new additions, that we're gonna get a secret squadron title as a replacement/continuation of the Captain Midnight narrative.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

I could go for a Secret Squadron book but would still like a CapMidnight ongoing.
Cap's book is so good it's sad that more people are daring enough to try it that's it's numbers are that low.

If just the 1/2 of the same folks who bought VALIANT bought Captain Midnight it'd double it's numbers. I don't know maybe they are.

Dark Horse would do good to promote their PBS line more. There is that interview with Mike Richards at DH and he's said they intend to do more promotion next year. Cap seems headed for a stop at #24 but maybe it'll be a title change at #25? Captain Midnight and the Secret Squadron...ala the Bloodshot name change while the numbering continues?!

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

Ghost #10.... Wow, a slow read that leads up to a fantastic climatic ending. Lots of exposition about Elisa accepting her
"ghost" persona and kind of rejecting her past life. An acceptance that her past life has expired/ past and she has a new
role to lead; however its a violent one and I think something X would certainly condone. Might have the makings of a super
power couple in the making? ( X and Elisa)

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

Just finished X#20.... man, this is how an arc should end. Nice exposition on Heide and how he assembled his mob; without distracting from the overall story. The confrontation at the hospital was tight, flowed logically. The resolution was awesome
spoilers:but its another antagonist X has offed that I wish had stuck around, then again X leaving a Batman-esque rogues gallery alive to haunt him later just doesn't jive with his character or his MO, so it makes sense Heide was dispatched Greatly
anticipating #21 when I get to see the return of the Mark!!!!!

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

I am glad that Dark Horse Owner/EIC has said that both X & Ghost will continue through 2015. Also that they intend to have heavier promotion for the line(which won't be hard since it's been near non-existent) but that doesn't seem to help Captain Midnight as it's slated to end at #24 this coming May. Sad cause it's been one of the top 10 reads of any month in my pile.
Richardson did confirm that Barb Wire is getting her relaunch makeover in '15, I wonder if CM end is to allow for that? I feel they need about 5 ongoing superhero titles within the PBS line + a mini once or twice a year.