Alan Moore's 1963 and America's Best Comics

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014
Alan Moore's 1963 and America's Best Comics

Post by omega_override »

One got cancelled indefinitely due disagreements between the creators along with Alan Moore's hatred of DC after the Wildstorm buyout and the other....Alan Moore's hatred of DC after the Wildstorm buyout :wink:

I really enjoyed A.B.C. growing up during the period where my mom was into comics during the late 90's/early 00's. Tom Strong was my favorite and still is, the others I wasn't interested in or bored by due to my incredibly young age (Tomorrow Stories was a mixed bag for me in that respect)

1963 was a really well made parody of early Marvel and it really is a shame that it's epic conclusion was never realized

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re: Alan Moore's 1963 and America's Best Comics

Post by leonmallett »

omega_override wrote:One got cancelled indefinitely due disagreements between the creators along with Alan Moore's hatred of DC after the Wildstorm buyout and the other....Alan Moore's hatred of DC after the Wildstorm buyout :wink:

I really enjoyed A.B.C. growing up during the period where my mom was into comics during the late 90's/early 00's. Tom Strong was my favorite and still is, the others I wasn't interested in or bored by due to my incredibly young age (Tomorrow Stories was a mixed bag for me in that respect)

1963 was a really well made parody of early Marvel and it really is a shame that it's epic conclusion was never realized
I am not sure it is correct to suggest 1963 being incomplete had anything to do with DC's acquisition of Wildstorm:
omega_override wrote:One got cancelled indefinitely due disagreements between the creators along with Alan Moore's hatred of DC after the Wildstorm buyout and the other....Alan Moore's hatred of DC after the Wildstorm buyout :wink:
given that it (1963) was at Image and its publication pre-dated the Wildstorm buyout by a number of years.

The damage - whatever it precisely was - was done before the buyout.

It is a shame that the series will never be concluded or seemingly collected. :|
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: Alan Moore's 1963 and America's Best Comics

Post by Cyberstrike »

The 1963 and The Big Bang characters (like Dr. Weird and The Night Watchmen) appeared as comic books in Jim Valentino's under-rated semi-autobiography series A Touch of Silver as stand-ins for Marvel and DC respectfully.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!