What other things do you collect ?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
Re: What other things do you collect ?

Post by slym2none »

Do you try and keep your firearms in a certain range of ammunition so you aren't worried about having to find different ammo for all your guns, or are they widely varied?

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

oldjello
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai (before the Future Force)

Post by oldjello »

I have a slight addiction to records.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

slym2none wrote:Do you try and keep your firearms in a certain range of ammunition so you aren't worried about having to find different ammo for all your guns, or are they widely varied?

-slym
Oh no, I have all sorts of calibers. I get really interested in odd, strange calibers. I used to have a rifle in 6.5-06, a wildcat caliber that I had to form my own brass and load my own ammunition for. I have the common and commonly available calibers too, but I get really interested in something wacky.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

So, when the *SQUEE* hits the fan, those are the ones you'll leave behind?

:D :P :twisted:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

slym2none wrote:So, when the *SQUEE* hits the fan, those are the ones you'll leave behind?

-slym
Believe me, I am covered. I can put together pools of firearms chambered in single calibres. I have five rifles that shoot .30-30s. I don't know how many 12 ga. or 20 ga. shotguns I have. I know I have two 16 ga. shotguns, even.

I have often argued that if someone is working towards something like preparing for a collapse of civilization (I hate any talk of zombies) then he needs to be able to outfit every member of his crew with a 12 ga. pump shotgun and a .22 LR rifle because those will be the workhorses of any post-collapse armory, not so much for defense from people (even though a good pump 12 is hard to beat) but for tasks like hunting and "porch-brooms".

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

:clap:

A nice .22LR rifle is definitely a good thing to have. Almost anyone can use them, unlike a shotgun, because there's almost no "kick."

-slym

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

slym2none wrote::clap:

A nice .22LR rifle is definitely a good thing to have. Almost anyone can use them, unlike a shotgun, because there's almost no "kick."

-slym
Part of the reason I have... 5(?) 20-gauges.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Don't get me wrong, I am all about a good shotgun, but I wouldn't hand my mom a 20-gauge and expect her to be able to shoot it. Probably not even a .410

But a .22 rifle? Sure!

-slym

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I learned to shoot on a 22 at the age of 8-9. Easy peazy.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Chiclo wrote:
slym2none wrote:So, when the *SQUEE* hits the fan, those are the ones you'll leave behind?

-slym
Believe me, I am covered. I can put together pools of firearms chambered in single calibres. I have five rifles that shoot .30-30s. I don't know how many 12 ga. or 20 ga. shotguns I have. I know I have two 16 ga. shotguns, even.

I have often argued that if someone is working towards something like preparing for a collapse of civilization (I hate any talk of zombies) then he needs to be able to outfit every member of his crew with a 12 ga. pump shotgun and a .22 LR rifle because those will be the workhorses of any post-collapse armory, not so much for defense from people (even though a good pump 12 is hard to beat) but for tasks like hunting and "porch-brooms".
Why do you hate talk of zombies?

Did you know scientists are seeking approval to begin testing reactivating synapses in braindead people? A very bad idea imho.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I am more scared of the possibility of sentient robots than I am "zombies".

-slym

badlander86
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Harbinger Wars
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Various
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Stephen Segovia, Paolo Rivera

Post by badlander86 »

I am a serial hoarder unfortunately. If it looks cool to me or if I want to try it out, I go out and get it. My collections are as follows:

- Comics (Marvel, DC, Valiant, IDW...you name it. In singles, trades or hardcovers)
- Magic the Gathering (Cardboard crack, picked it up when I was in the Army of all places. Very touch and go...mostly trying to keep it "Go" at this point)
- Tabletop wargaming (Currently I paint and Play Warmachine, a game from Privateer Press. I also paint and collect Infinity from a company called Corvus Belli. Touch and go hobby.)
- Action figures (the glut of my collecting hobby. Its pretty much focused on 4 things: cool superhero stuff, Kamen Rider, Transformers and more recently some Gundams. I pick up a random Star Wars figure or 3 on a whim when the Star Wars mood strikes.)

oldjello
Favorite title: Rai (before the Future Force)

Post by oldjello »

I like records.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

MELVINS!

I just bought this t-shirt 2 days ago. Always a Seattleite.

https://megamart.subpop.com/tshirts/mud ... k_w_orange" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I currently *kind of* collect Transformers Masterpiece figures... I currently have 8 of the Autobots. They're pretty expensive so I don't get them very often, and generally I can't afford the larger ones either (although I do have the MP10 Optimus Prime).

But holy crap, are these things ever a childhood dream come true. Ridiculously articulate & as cartoon accurate in both figure & vehicle modes as possible (and they seem to get better at that the more they make). Insane engineering & design work has gone into the way these transform to get the desired look in each mode.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

grendeljd wrote:I currently *kind of* collect Transformers Masterpiece figures... I currently have 8 of the Autobots. They're pretty expensive so I don't get them very often, and generally I can't afford the larger ones either (although I do have the MP10 Optimus Prime).

But holy crap, are these things ever a childhood dream come true. Ridiculously articulate & as cartoon accurate in both figure & vehicle modes as possible (and they seem to get better at that the more they make). Insane engineering & design work has gone into the way these transform to get the desired look in each mode.
If I would have know they were going to make these 10 years ago, I would never have bought the rest of the original G1 formers.

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Does anyone collect any Marx playsets or know if a site that includes a checklist for what was included in each?

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I currently *kind of* collect Transformers Masterpiece figures... I currently have 8 of the Autobots. They're pretty expensive so I don't get them very often, and generally I can't afford the larger ones either (although I do have the MP10 Optimus Prime).

If I would have know they were going to make these 10 years ago, I would never have bought the rest of the original G1 formers.
As much of a massive G1 fan as I am, I was never terribly tempted to collect the old toys out of nostalgia. They are mostly pretty clunky looking, with a few exceptions. I would like to have the original Soundwave & Constructicons again.

But yeah, these new Masterpiece figures blow everything else out of the water, big time.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

I can't remember if I already posted this on this thread or elsewhere, but original G1 toys are my thing the last few years besides comics. I have focused on collecting most of the 1984-1985 releases, as well as the movie characters. I have bought original, reissue and even a couple KO figures. The last purchase I made was an original G1 Scorponok. Let's just say that I won't be buying Transformers again for awhile; they are NOT cheap these days :( But it is a schoolboy dream come true (to quote Grendel) to have the chance to collect these :)
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Still not buying Masterpiece Transformers very often, but I absolutely could not resist pre-ordering the latest: MP36 Megatron. It's a proper re-design that is very cartoon proportion accurate, especially compared to the previous Megatron in the MP line. Just got him in this week & I am utterly stunned with how awesome he is;

ImageImageImage

"Such heroic nonsense..."

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

A shot of a few of my MP Transformers for size comparison. I think they've paid special attention to trying to keep these guys all relative in size/proportion to each other according to the cartoon;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

If I would have known they would have made these 20 years ago, I would never have finished the G1 line and just bought these instead.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Those MP Transformers are awesome looking. First time seeing those.

FlipMega
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

Wow those are super nice! Very well balanced. I haven't collected figures/statues but I ran into a sweet deal on a Koto Vash The Stampede (Trigun Anime) that I couldn't say no to. I've kicked around the idea of Gundams a few times but never jumped. That Vash kind of gave me a little statue bug but I haven't picked up anything else yet beyond a couple pops and Valiant minimates.

For what ever reason... Transformers never crossed my mind!

I have all my old figures like GI Joe, He-Man, Thundercats, TMNT and micro machines but nothing is mint. I'll have to see if anything is in display shape maybe.

Right now, and since I got the original console at release, I collect NES and other video games. I have something like 400+ NES cartridges and fairly robust in quality SNES, GameCube, N64 and PS2 libraries. Also collect Japanese vertical shooters (shmups) across a number of consoles.

Modern Firearms
Modern Pockets knives
Beer and scotch experiences

That about does it

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I'm a collector by nature, but I focus almost exclusively on Comics now. One of the odder things I collect with my boys are bird feathers, animal bones and shells, all found objects.