What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Chew vol. 5-8. Good stuff. A really clever book that I think you could give any non-comics reader and they would enjoy.

American Barbarian by Tom Scioli - Recommended!

Super Dinosaur vol. 1-3 - my kids love this series. It is a lot of fun.
Multum In Parvo

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

All of these listed are either on my monthly subscription, or I'm trade-waiting. I just got into Valiant comics a month ago and I plan on reading everything eventually, but that just includes books I plan on getting into asap.

Marvel:
Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man
Hawkeye
Ultimate FF
Uncanny X-Men
Avengers Undercover
(Everything but USM are either ending or sucking so I'm fully committed to leaving Marvel and getting everything Valiant)

DC:
Batman
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Justice League United
Action Comics
The Wake
(Grayson, New Suicide Squad, and the new Teen Titans #1's are all being read soon as well)

Dark Horse:
Serenity: Leaves on the Wind (just ended)
Buffy: Season 10
Angel & Faith Vol. 2 (Season 10)

Image:
The Walking Dead
Saga
Outcast

Valiant:
Archer & Armstrong
Harbinger
Quantum & Woody
Rai
The Delinquents
The Valiant

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

TheFerg714 wrote:All of these listed are either on my monthly subscription, or I'm trade-waiting. I just got into Valiant comics a month ago and I plan on reading everything eventually, but that just includes books I plan on getting into asap.

Marvel:
Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man
Hawkeye
Ultimate FF
Uncanny X-Men
Avengers Undercover
(Everything but USM are either ending or sucking so I'm fully committed to leaving Marvel and getting everything Valiant)

DC:
Batman
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Justice League United
Action Comics
The Wake
(Grayson, New Suicide Squad, and the new Teen Titans #1's are all being read soon as well)

Dark Horse:
Serenity: Leaves on the Wind (just ended)
Buffy: Season 10
Angel & Faith Vol. 2 (Season 10)

Image:
The Walking Dead
Saga
Outcast

Valiant:
Archer & Armstrong
Harbinger
Quantum & Woody
Rai
The Delinquents
The Valiant
Welcome to the boards, mate. :thumb:
Since you seem to be a reader with taste (hey, you are here! :) ), I suggest you try Image's East of West. Just take a look a the thread about it in these forums and you'll see it has quite the following, myself included. It might be one of the best comic books ever- and is being published right now. :thumb:

And read more Batman! :D

EDIT- You definitely also should be reading X-O and Unity asap. It's VALIANT at (some of) it's best. And Bloodshot. :D :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

TheFerg714, welcome aboard. It's fun here as long you avoid the Canadians. :kidaround:

ShadowTuga beat me to recommending East of West. It is the best book currently being published. It is awesome. Read the first two trades now! You won't regret it.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:TheFerg714, welcome aboard. It's fun here as long you avoid the Canadians. :kidaround:

ShadowTuga beat me to recommending East of West. It is the best book currently being published. It is awesome. Read the first two trades now! You won't regret it.
i might have to give east of west another shot. i thought the first issue was a snoozer. (but then again i thought the same of harbinger #1 :tomato:

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

ShadowTuga wrote:I suggest you try Image's East of West.
I actually have the first 5 issues from an Image humble bundle a few months ago. I read the first issue and liked it a lot! It's such a cool premise. At some point, I'll read the first trade (and more, if it's as good as you say it is), but I'm just not too into Image. I gravitate more towards superheroes and multi-comic universes (Marvel, DC, Valiant) than creator-owned single series.
EDIT- You definitely also should be reading X-O and Unity asap. It's VALIANT at (some of) it's best. And Bloodshot. :D :thumb:
I fully intend on reading all of the above. The first trades for X-O and Bloodshot were completely awesome, but sadly I have to be kinda picky when it comes to getting into an entire comic universe. :cry: I haven't read Unity at all because I wanna get through the X-O issues that came before Unity #1, seeing as they're heavily related. I would just torrent them, but I feel really bad about stealing stuff from a small company like Valiant.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

TheFerg714 wrote: I gravitate more towards superheroes and multi-comic universes (Marvel, DC, Valiant) than creator-owned single series.

No Invincible?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

lorddunlow wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote: I gravitate more towards superheroes and multi-comic universes (Marvel, DC, Valiant) than creator-owned single series.

No Invincible?
Is it any good? Contrary to my pull-list I'm not the biggest Kirkman fan. I really just like TWD (and I like the show a lot more than the comic). And I've kind of heard bad things about it... Like it's too overly-obsessed with blood and gore and death? Idk.. I've read the first few issues and they were ok...

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

No Invincible?
Is it any good? Contrary to my pull-list I'm not the biggest Kirkman fan. I really just like TWD (and I like the show a lot more than the comic). And I've kind of heard bad things about it... Like it's too overly-obsessed with blood and gore and death? Idk.. I've read the first few issues and they were ok...
It is Amazing!

When I became active on here about a year and change ago, Invincible came HIGHLY recommended. I listened and am happy I did. It is the best superhero comic ever. I LOVE spider-man and Batman from the Big 2. Have since I was a child, but Invincible kicks their *SQUEE* on so many levels. It does have quite a bit of blood and gore and death, but it serves its purpose. I wouldn't say it is gratuitous at all, it has the right level.

The first few issues are nothing amazing, but the stories keep getting better and better and there are so many surprises and shocks.

I can't recommend it enough. Give it a shot a few arcs in and you will be hooked too!!

The big 48 issue compendiums are a great way to get into it for a low cost.

Also, welcome, don't listen to that dunlow guy about the Candians, his custom title will confirm that he "doth protest too much"!!

:thumb: ;)
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

No Invincible?
It is Amazing!

When I became active on here about a year and change ago, Invincible came HIGHLY recommended. I listened and am happy I did. It is the best superhero comic ever. I LOVE spider-man and Batman from the Big 2. Have since I was a child, but Invincible kicks their *SQUEE* on so many levels. It does have quite a bit of blood and gore and death, but it serves its purpose. I wouldn't say it is gratuitous at all, it has the right level.

The first few issues are nothing amazing, but the stories keep getting better and better and there are so many surprises and shocks.

I can't recommend it enough. Give it a shot a few arcs in and you will be hooked too!!

Also, welcome, don't listen to that dunlow guy about the Candians, his custom title will confirm that he "doth protest too much"!!

+1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

And welcome to the boards!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

My non-Valiant books this week;

Afterlife With Archie #6 - holy crap, this was seriously the best non-Valiant comic I read this week. The story returned to what has happened to Sabrina, and I was not expecting the direction it took. I kid you not, HP Lovecraft himself was a character in this issue, as 'Doctor Lovecraft' in a damn creepy tale of nightmarish, unreal horror. Yes, this is a comic with the Riverdale gang, but it is nothing at all like what anyone might expect. It's simply excellent. As of issue #1, Sabrina was banished to another dimension by her witch aunts for casting the spell that accidentally launches the horrific zombie apocalypse. This issue focuses on that bizarre realm, where Sabrina keeps having terrible nightmares that may or may not be real, and when she wakes from them she is stuck in 'Doctor' Lovecraft's eerie insane asylum where nothing is as it seems. Patients are scared, they keep disappearing, and all the staff seem to flicker between being human & something straight out of Cthulhu mythos. This book gets lots of critical acclaim, and believe it or not, it deserves it! Any horror fans out there should check this series out. These guys aren't messing around with the Archie characters for the sake of a cheap gimmick.

Alien Legion: Uncivil War #2 - so happy one of my all-time favourite series is back, even if just for this mini-series. Loved this issue.

Revival #22 - entertaining as always.

Transformers vs. GI Joe #1 - wow, I'm not sure what to think of this... I liked it, but such a strange style to it. Heavily influenced by their respective TF & GI 80's original comic series. Bizarre cartoon-style art, with some 60's era Kirby/Steranko artistic influence as well. Apparently I missed out on a zero issue?

I chose not to pick up Trees #3 & Saga #21 for budgetary reasons this week, but I may get them at a later date.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

No Invincible?
It is Amazing!

+1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

+1 on invincible. ive been reading it in hard cover (which are beautiful) from the begining. Everytime i think im board of it he sucks me right back in.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

ilzuccone wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

No Invincible?
It is Amazing!

+1 on invincible. ive been reading it in hard cover (which are beautiful) from the begining. Everytime i think im board of it he sucks me right back in.
+1

Invincible is the best super hero book out there.
ASM Crossover Home

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Well, damn I guess I have to read Invincible. Consider it added to the list. :thumb:
Has Ryan Ottley been doing the arts every issue?
Everytime i think im board of it he sucks me right back in.
This has been my experience with TWD as well.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

TheFerg714 wrote:Well, damn I guess I have to read Invincible. Consider it added to the list. :thumb:
yeah kirkman is good at stringing you a long between the cool parts

ottley came on after the first couple issues i believe.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ilzuccone wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:Well, damn I guess I have to read Invincible. Consider it added to the list. :thumb:
yeah kirkman is good at stringing you a long between the cool parts

ottley came on after the first couple issues i believe.
I think Ottley started at around #6 or #7, and has virtually drawn every issue since. The very small handful of fill-in exceptions were drawn by Cory Walker, the original artist of the series - so it has been an amazingly consistent creative team. Even the colourist has only changed three times over the 110+ issues, and seriously it has been a huge leap in colouring skill each time. John Rauch is the current colour artist, he Rocks! :lol:

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Issue 7 sound right. Like Charlie Adlard on the walking dead,mottled saved the book since he could follow a schedule.

Warning though that the art in the early part of the series is rough..... Even Ottley. As a monthly reader, it was impressive to watch his crazy fast improvement over the course of the series.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:Transformers vs. GI Joe #1 - wow, I'm not sure what to think of this... I liked it, but such a strange style to it. Heavily influenced by their respective TF & GI 80's original comic series. Bizarre cartoon-style art, with some 60's era Kirby/Steranko artistic influence as well. Apparently I missed out on a zero issue?
The zero issue was a FCBD book.
There has been a lot of praise for it but mostly from non-TF and/or Joe fans or casual fans, there are some fans that didn't like it with the art being sited probably as the biggest reason. There are some fans hate the previous TF/Joe crossovers with a passion (and they are for the most part pretty stupid) for the lack of quality of those books and some don't think the Transformers and G.I. Joe mix very well. Some are fans of one franchise and not the other.

I'm not buying it for the following reasons:
1) The artwork IMHO sucks. Sorry but even if Kirby was actually drawing I still wouldn't like it.

2) I like G.I. Joe but I've never gotten into for their comics for longer than the 50 issues that Marvel reprinted into TPBs before IDW got the rights and most of that stuff bored the hell out of me and the series from DDP (which I only supported to get The Transformers brought back to comics and other than DDP's great G.I. Joe: Reloaded series the rest of their Joe comics sucked) don't love that franchise as much as I love the Transformers.

3) This crossover doesn't appeal to me.

4) These kind of stories go down the drain pretty fast. There are a lot of characters in both franchises and as soon you get done with the standard pairings it goes to the z-list.

5) G.I. Joe goes cosmic. That NEVER works.

6) Barber is an average writer at best, he tends to start off with great ideas but never does anything with them.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

CaptnAmerca
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Greg Pak

Post by CaptnAmerca »

I've been liking Letter 44. I had my doubts and I thought it would be trying too hard to make paper-thin, ham-handed political points, but its been surprising. Anyone else tried it?

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

CaptnAmerca wrote:I've been liking Letter 44. I had my doubts and I thought it would be trying too hard to make paper-thin, ham-handed political points, but its been surprising. Anyone else tried it?
I like Letter 44 quite a bit.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

jeremycoe wrote:
CaptnAmerca wrote:I've been liking Letter 44. I had my doubts and I thought it would be trying too hard to make paper-thin, ham-handed political points, but its been surprising. Anyone else tried it?
I like Letter 44 quite a bit.
Ill have to pick this one up

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

No Invincible?
It is Amazing!

I just finished the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible (hardcover which collects issues 1-13).....I wasn't wowed by it, and neither the plot twist nor the seeds for a new story arc had me hooked. The first 13 issues/chapters were OK, but not good enough to keep me interested in going further.

That said, I'll give the second hardcover a chance, as I've been told the weakest section of Invincible is the first 12-13 issues, and that it gets much better, afterward.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

No Invincible?
It is Amazing!

I just finished the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible (hardcover which collects issues 1-13).....I wasn't wowed by it, and neither the plot twist nor the seeds for a new story arc had me hooked. The first 13 issues/chapters were OK, but not good enough to keep me interested in going further.

That said, I'll give the second hardcover a chance, as I've been told the weakest section of Invincible is the first 12-13 issues, and that it gets much better, afterward.
My rule: if an ongoing series hasn't impressed me after 12 issues then it's not a series that never will impress me and isn't worth my time and money.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Letter 44 is good. Definitely one of my wife's favourite non-Valiant books. She likes it more than I do.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: No Invincible?
It is Amazing!

My rule: if an ongoing series hasn't impressed me after 12 issues then it's not a series that never will impress me and isn't worth my time and money.
and that's why it's so hard to get people to read invincible. the first arch is not the best.