What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by kjjohanson »

ilzuccone wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote: Is it any good? Contrary to my pull-list I'm not the biggest Kirkman fan. I really just like TWD (and I like the show a lot more than the comic). And I've kind of heard bad things about it... Like it's too overly-obsessed with blood and gore and death? Idk.. I've read the first few issues and they were ok...
It is Amazing!

When I became active on here about a year and change ago, Invincible came HIGHLY recommended. I listened and am happy I did. It is the best superhero comic ever. I LOVE spider-man and Batman from the Big 2. Have since I was a child, but Invincible kicks their *SQUEE* on so many levels. It does have quite a bit of blood and gore and death, but it serves its purpose. I wouldn't say it is gratuitous at all, it has the right level.

The first few issues are nothing amazing, but the stories keep getting better and better and there are so many surprises and shocks.

I can't recommend it enough. Give it a shot a few arcs in and you will be hooked too!!

The big 48 issue compendiums are a great way to get into it for a low cost.

Also, welcome, don't listen to that dunlow guy about the Candians, his custom title will confirm that he "doth protest too much"!!

:thumb: ;)
+1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

And welcome to the boards!
I just finished the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible (hardcover which collects issues 1-13).....I wasn't wowed by it, and neither the plot twist nor the seeds for a new story arc had me hooked. The first 13 issues/chapters were OK, but not good enough to keep me interested in going further.

That said, I'll give the second hardcover a chance, as I've been told the weakest section of Invincible is the first 12-13 issues, and that it gets much better, afterward.
My rule: if an ongoing series hasn't impressed me after 12 issues then it's not a series that never will impress me and isn't worth my time and money.
and that's why it's so hard to get people to read invincible. the first arch is not the best.
I splurged when Comixology recently had the deal of every issue (through 110 at the time) for $75. Less than a buck an issue. I've been making my way through and am up through the late 50s now (the Wolf-Man crossover issue; pausing cuz I'm going to pick up that series or at least the issue of that series that crosses over so I don't miss anything). Agreed that things really do get interesting after the first anniversary issue, so you need to give it more than 12 issues. If you've gotten to 15 or 20 and still aren't interested I can see giving it up.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

kjjohanson wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote: It is Amazing!

When I became active on here about a year and change ago, Invincible came HIGHLY recommended. I listened and am happy I did. It is the best superhero comic ever. I LOVE spider-man and Batman from the Big 2. Have since I was a child, but Invincible kicks their *SQUEE* on so many levels. It does have quite a bit of blood and gore and death, but it serves its purpose. I wouldn't say it is gratuitous at all, it has the right level.

The first few issues are nothing amazing, but the stories keep getting better and better and there are so many surprises and shocks.

I can't recommend it enough. Give it a shot a few arcs in and you will be hooked too!!

Also, welcome, don't listen to that dunlow guy about the Candians, his custom title will confirm that he "doth protest too much"!!

+1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

I just finished the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible (hardcover which collects issues 1-13).....I wasn't wowed by it, and neither the plot twist nor the seeds for a new story arc had me hooked. The first 13 issues/chapters were OK, but not good enough to keep me interested in going further.

That said, I'll give the second hardcover a chance, as I've been told the weakest section of Invincible is the first 12-13 issues, and that it gets much better, afterward.
My rule: if an ongoing series hasn't impressed me after 12 issues then it's not a series that never will impress me and isn't worth my time and money.
and that's why it's so hard to get people to read invincible. the first arch is not the best.
I splurged when Comixology recently had the deal of every issue (through 110 at the time) for $75. Less than a buck an issue. I've been making my way through and am up through the late 50s now (the Wolf-Man crossover issue; pausing cuz I'm going to pick up that series or at least the issue of that series that crosses over so I don't miss anything). Agreed that things really do get interesting after the first anniversary issue, so you need to give it more than 12 issues. If you've gotten to 15 or 20 and still aren't interested I can see giving it up.
Totally agree. Might not be your cup o tea. The book isnt groundbreaking or mind blowing. Just consistantly entertaining.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

ilzuccone wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote: +1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

Totally agree. Might not be your cup o tea. The book isnt groundbreaking or mind blowing. Just consistantly entertaining.
"Fun" pretty much sums it up.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: No Invincible?
Is it any good? Contrary to my pull-list I'm not the biggest Kirkman fan. I really just like TWD (and I like the show a lot more than the comic). And I've kind of heard bad things about it... Like it's too overly-obsessed with blood and gore and death? Idk.. I've read the first few issues and they were ok...
It is Amazing!

Agreed, for the most part. Usually, I can tell within 1-2 issues if I like a creative team's work or not. Sometimes, I'll give a chance on a full story-arc (tpb). I did that with Pretty Deadly, recently, but couldn't get into it at all. I gave Saga a chance for around 12 issues, couldn't get into that either.

With Invincible, I'll give it that rare extra chance. I didn't dislike it, and it was entertaining enough for me to give it another go, especially since it's almost universally said that it gets to a much higher level after issue 12 or 13. If I'm not that into it after the second hardcover, then it's obviously not for me.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

I made a break on my Batman GA readings to take a look at Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow. Wow, I want to punch myself for not giving this series a break earlier- granted, it kinda sucked before this new direction and this is something very new.
It's hard not to compare it with what Geoff Johns did on GL, as in, JL gives a whole new background for this character to play with. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:More V for Vendetta. More awesome.
This one I've been meaning to check out for a long time now. I'll have to track it down.

Now that I'm reading it, I can't tell you how upset I am that it has taken me this long to read it.
Welcome to the rest of your life after reading one of the best comics ever written. Yet another one of Moore's top masterpieces, IMO. My wife loves this comic too, Evey is one of her favourite female characters in comics.
I picked V for Vendetta up from the library. I'm currently into book 2 and it's as good as advertised. Can't believe it's taken this long to read it. I love all the reaction shots of V. What a fantastic mask and idea!
Multum In Parvo

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I'm about five issues in to the first Starman omnibus and am enjoying it. I tried reading it a few months ago but got too distracted with other things. Just recently I'm getting back into it.

Re-read Black Science since that's coming back from hiatus and it blew me away even more reading the whole first arc like that.

Also doing a re-read of Harbinger since 25 just came out and am enjoying that far more on this go around. I just got through Harbinger Wars.

I'm gonna drop Ms. Marvel and am contemplating dropping Manifest Destiny. It feels like the last few issues of MD have barely progressed the story and then end on a splash page with some new terrifying creature.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

chriskay99 wrote:I'm about five issues in to the first Starman omnibus and am enjoying it. I tried reading it a few months ago but got too distracted with other things. Just recently I'm getting back into it.

Re-read Black Science since that's coming back from hiatus and it blew me away even more reading the whole first arc like that.

Also doing a re-read of Harbinger since 25 just came out and am enjoying that far more on this go around. I just got through Harbinger Wars.

I'm gonna drop Ms. Marvel and am contemplating dropping Manifest Destiny. It feels like the last few issues of MD have barely progressed the story and then end on a splash page with some new terrifying creature.
Opinions on Ms. Marvel? I was thinking about trying it out. I actually meant to have my LCS pull it when it came out, but I forgot and just figured I'd pick it up cheap later. If it's no good, then I might just give it a miss.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

lorddunlow wrote:Opinions on Ms. Marvel? I was thinking about trying it out. I actually meant to have my LCS pull it when it came out, but I forgot and just figured I'd pick it up cheap later. If it's no good, then I might just give it a miss.
It's a fine book, I just wasn't overly impressed with it. I appreciate Marvel expanding their range with a Muslim hero headlining their own book and parts of it harken back to the Marvel of long ago - a teenage hero having to hide their identity, figure out their powers, etc. They just wrapped the first arc so I would imagine a trade is due out soon. Eh, give it a shot if you're curious? It's not terrible or bad by any stretch, just wasn't really what I was looking for.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Hawkeye #19 just came out.

Just give them the Eisner. Geez, what a great issue.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

just read threw ignition city. i liked it.

also any love for Great Pacific? the book is so unique i can't get it out of my head.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

chriskay99 wrote: Re-read Black Science since that's coming back from hiatus and it blew me away even more reading the whole first arc like that.

This is a book I'm really curious about. It seems like my cup o tea.
Multum In Parvo

CaptnAmerca
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Greg Pak

Post by CaptnAmerca »

I just burned through the first 12 issues of the New 52 Wonder Woman.

Dang, you guys were right on. This is a good series.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

CaptnAmerca wrote:I just burned through the first 12 issues of the New 52 Wonder Woman.

Dang, you guys were right on. This is a good series.
i'll be looking for this in hard cover

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Just picked up the Strain hardcover trade. I'm hoping it doesn't spoil the show too much for me! Wish I had been in on the ground floor for the comics, but they're way too expensive now.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Brother J wrote:Just picked up the Strain hardcover trade. I'm hoping it doesn't spoil the show too much for me! Wish I had been in on the ground floor for the comics, but they're way too expensive now.
I hear the show is good, might download some episodes. I still have NM/NM+ copies of each of #1. I've sold extras of everything, and had passed on The Fall issues because I found so many early issues of the first series.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

While on vacation I read the following TPB's:

"Dead Body Road"- 4/5 is my rating. Gritty crime drama by Justin Jordan with beautiful artwork from Matteo Scalera, who is the same artist that did "Black Science." Tons of profanity in this book, so don't leave it around for the kids to pick up. :) If you liked "Red Team" from Garth Ennis, you will like this book.

Also read the first three volumes of the New 52 "Green Arrow" series and all three are pretty horrible. Only the third volume with the Justice League crossover and the Savage Hawkman team-up get a rating above a 2/5 and the first two volumes get a 1.5/5 in my book. The art by Freddie Williams is not good at all and the stories by Ann Noventi are all over the place. I am looking forward to Volumes 4-6, which will be the Jeff Lemire run that has lots of good press.

Michael
Mkb28

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

I've recently read Invincible Ultimate Edition 1-3. Picked up the first 6 hardcovers for just over $60, and loving them. I really like how he doesn't always win in the end, he actually loses quite a lot. I also like how rewarding it is to read it all together. There are multiple plots going on to where it's neat to see them not always touched upon till later. I feel like marvel has to start a story, have a big crossover about it, and than move on to something else.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Finished V For Vendetta - It is great. We should start a new thread to talk about it in detail. I'd like to read it again.

Dash Shaw's BodyWorld - This is also a great book. It's got a really interesting and humorous story and the art is handled in a very different way from most books. I've not seen another book like it. It's another book I'd love to discuss in further detail.
Multum In Parvo

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I finished Dash Shaw's BodyWorld and can't recommend it enough. I had read his book Bottomless Bellybutton years ago and then stumbled on BodyWorld in the library. It didn't grab me right away but by the end I think it might be one of the best comics I've ever read in terms of creativity and use of the medium. It's got a a funny and fascinating scifi story. The seam of the book is on the short end as opposed to the long end which lends to some really creative use of the long narrow format. The art starts of digitally colored and the further you get into the story you start to see real paint used in a very creative way. It adds a lot of texture to the very flat digital colors he uses. Anyhow, now I'm rambling but definitely check it out.

Also, read Cow Boy - A Boy and His Horse by Nate Cosby and Chris Eliopoulos which is another great read and very clever.
Multum In Parvo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Last week besides the Valiant books I picked up;

Baltimore: the Witch of Harju #1 - haven't read it yet, but I LOVE this comic series!
East of West #14 - great stuff this issue. Awesome artwork.
Low #1 - beautiful, stunning artwork & an intriguing sci-fi setting so far.
Outcast #2 - pretty good second issue outing here, I'm not blown away by it but I'm in for the first arc at least.
Saga #21 - a week later than release, it was a decent issue. Enjoyed it more than some other recent issues of the book.
Trees #3 - liking this book quite a bit, waiting to see where Ellis's going to take the larger concepts...

Also found a couple of issues of ROM & a RAI #31 in the bargain bins :D
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Blue is the Warmest Color
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #1.
:cloud9:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:I made a break on my Batman GA readings to take a look at Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow. Wow, I want to punch myself for not giving this series a break earlier- granted, it kinda sucked before this new direction and this is something very new.
It's hard not to compare it with what Geoff Johns did on GL, as in, JL gives a whole new background for this character to play with. :thumb:

I am also looking forward to reading the Lemire run in Green Arrow. As you stated, everything before his run is not that good. I buy the monthly issues and the trades for my son and I recently read the first three volumes while on vacation. Pretty disappointing! :!:

Maybe Volume 4 and the start of the Lemire run will save this series for us. :hope:

Thanks for sharing! :)

Michael
Mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I made a break on my Batman GA readings to take a look at Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow. Wow, I want to punch myself for not giving this series a break earlier- granted, it kinda sucked before this new direction and this is something very new.

I am also looking forward to reading the Lemire run in Green Arrow. As you stated, everything before his run is not that good. I buy the monthly issues and the trades for my son and I recently read the first three volumes while on vacation. Pretty disappointing! :!:

Maybe Volume 4 and the start of the Lemire run will save this series for us. :hope:

Thanks for sharing! :)

Michael
Mkb28
Buddy, you're in for a GREAT run, seriously. And I don't know how you could get through all of the previous issues of this series, without going mad from the constant changes.
I only gave the first trade a chance and it was atrocious.

I think I only cared about GA comics on 3 occasions: when I read the O'Neill/Adams run, the Longbow Hunters mini-series from the 80s and THIS. I think it is an amazing world-building run, and something that gives GA a distinct background, like I said before. I'm pretty sure you'll love it. Also, the art is top-notch, it's almost as important to this run as Lemire. Almost, because the story is really what this is all about. Great stuff.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo