magnus vs predator

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
magnus vs predator

Post by tictuck »

Just read this series and have a question.Was this story a what if type scenerio or did it have any repercussions in magnus continuity?

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

Its part of continuity. The xo ring he is given at the end comes into play later in the universe.

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by tictuck »

what issues is it mentioned in next because at the end of predator magnus he toses the ring away

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Here.
It also appeared in Rai 15 were the Aryan guy mentions that Magnus threw it away (maybe mentioned in the Magnus issue too) and then proceeds to get in a fight with the Future Force.

muzzsucker
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by muzzsucker »

Is it ever explained exactly where the predator obtained the ring?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

We assume that he got it after Aric sent the armor away in Rai #0.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

muzzsucker wrote:Is it ever explained exactly where the predator obtained the ring?
No. That part is left to our imaginations. Like ManoftheAtom, said it was after the Rai 0 events. Predator kept the empty helmet and ring as trophies, which would be the equivalant of the skull he usually takes from his human opponents (reading between the lines: the Predator considered the X-O as much or more of an opponent than whoever was wearing it)

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

ManofTheAtom wrote:We assume that he got it after Aric sent the armor away in Rai #0.
My sentiments exactly!

-A
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

Xero
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Xero »

I'm going to have to get this series :!:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Xero wrote:I'm going to have to get this series :!:
they are usually quite cheap and easy to find...check some of the big sellers here on the boards... :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Xero

Post by Xero »

I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet

Manowar Class
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Manowar Class »

Good reads! KC or Daydreams has both of them together for $1.50. Can't beat that! Enjoy.
I feel like I've been caught with my hand in the tofu."

Schmakt
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Schmakt »

Manowar Class wrote:Good reads! KC or Daydreams has both of them together for $1.50. Can't beat that! Enjoy.
I agree... very much liked this series. Much better than Magnus/Nexus in my opinion. Which is everything.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

ManofTheAtom wrote:We assume that he got it after Aric sent the armor away in Rai #0.
I personally assume it wasn't Aric's armor, but another X-O Manowar. I like that idea a little better... ;)

Schmakt
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Schmakt »

Byrneout wrote:
I personally assume it wasn't Aric's armor, but another X-O Manowar. I like that idea a little better... ;)
that's what I thought at first too... I'm with you. :)

Manowar Class

Post by Manowar Class »

Well, I just read them last night and I forgot how friggin' good those were! preadator pulling skull trophies out of people with the spine still attached, leeja getting it on with Magnus, people not talking in that weird North Am speech...and an X-O armor to boot! 8-)

Maybe if Shooter were lurking, he could tell us whose armor the helmet belonged to...? All of you have good insight, but the armor is still a big guessing game. :!:

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

That Rai issue I mentioned earlier in the thread said that it was Aric's armor. But that was done written by John Orstrander, long after Shooter's departure.

Manowar Class

Post by Manowar Class »

It makes me wonder: how many armors were there? Aric had Shanhara until it was destroyed and replaced by Pol-Bekhara. Then there was the other manowar Class suit left with the alien on Saturn from which Aric had his newest armor grown. We "see" that he still has an armor in rai 0 which he tells to go to the far reaches of space so Harada can't get it. Then one shows up in the future and both rai and magnus have a bout with it. Even Solar couldn't get the ring out of the dead alien's suit, so henceforth, that one is not even a possibility. Any other input here? I mean really...there were not that many manowar Class suits of X-O armor out there because of how long it takes to "grow" them. Unless...In X-O #29 or 30 when Solar sees the destruction underground where the aliens took out Shanhara solar finds a partially alive alien to tell him about another X-O armor and he replies that Solar had already done away with the only other one in the Quadrant...That could mean that there were a few others out there and preadator prehaps killed it while travelling the Universe...just a theory...maybe it will help...or serve to confuse further?

MC

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Manowar Class wrote:It makes me wonder: how many armors were there? Aric had Shanhara until it was destroyed and replaced by Pol-Bekhara. Then there was the other manowar Class suit left with the alien on Saturn from which Aric had his newest armor grown. We "see" that he still has an armor in rai 0 which he tells to go to the far reaches of space so Harada can't get it. Then one shows up in the future and both rai and magnus have a bout with it. Even Solar couldn't get the ring out of the dead alien's suit, so henceforth, that one is not even a possibility. Any other input here? I mean really...there were not that many manowar Class suits of X-O armor out there because of how long it takes to "grow" them. Unless...In X-O #29 or 30 when Solar sees the destruction underground where the aliens took out Shanhara solar finds a partially alive alien to tell him about another X-O armor and he replies that Solar had already done away with the only other one in the Quadrant...That could mean that there were a few others out there and preadator prehaps killed it while travelling the Universe...just a theory...maybe it will help...or serve to confuse further?

MC
I don't understand the question. If we're going by everything Valiant's every published, then that suit of armor in Magnus vs. Predator was Aric's (as stated in Rai 15) which was sent into deep space during the Harbinger Wars (which was said in Rai 0).

Quick list of Manowar armors:

The one the alien wore in Solar 7, which rests near Saturn

Sanhara (Aric's original armor) which was destroyed by the spider aliens

Aric's second armor (made from the spore of the one the alien wore), which we assume he wore for the rest of his life.

A group of Manowar's on the spider alien homeworld appeared in the Solar the Destroyer trilogy in Solar. Destroyer destroyed them all.

Aric's armor shows up in the 41rst century in Magnus v. Predator and then in Rai where it and the spore it had supposedly produced were forgotten about after the Malev War plotline

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Actually, in Rai #15 - Magnus #30, they do not claim that the armor was Aric's anywhere in the text or dialogue. I had to re-read them to make sure.

Spylocke looks for a spore that doesn't exist - most likely either because that armor grew FROM the spore, or it was not Aric's armor. It's not stated either way, and is left as a dangling plot thread.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Byrneout wrote:Actually, in Rai #15 - Magnus #30, they do not claim that the armor was Aric's anywhere in the text or dialogue. I had to re-read them to make sure.

Spylocke looks for a spore that doesn't exist - most likely either because that armor grew FROM the spore, or it was not Aric's armor. It's not stated either way, and is left as a dangling plot thread.
Thanks for the correction :thumb: .

I was going off what others had posted. When I read the posts, it sounded right. I thought the Nazi guy may have mentioned it in the little speech he gave when he first put on the armor but I haven't seen that issue in over two years.

Why do you say the spore didn't exist? I don't have all the issues but I got the impression they just dropped that subplot along with the Manowar armor itself.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...

Post by Byrneout »

Todd Luck wrote:I thought the Nazi guy may have mentioned it in the little speech he gave when he first put on the armor but I haven't seen that issue in over two years.
Naw - his rant was more in the "look at the power you threw away, Magnus! Me and my brothers will rise up against you blah blah blah" vein. :)
Todd Luck wrote:Why do you say the spore didn't exist? I don't have all the issues but I got the impression they just dropped that subplot along with the Manowar armor itself.
See, my thought was always that the spore would have grown into a new armor, and that Spylocke was too late. Of course, I have no source to really back this up as fact, it's just the impression I received from the scenes in the book of him going after the spore.

Manowar Class

Post by Manowar Class »

I prefer to think that it wasn't Aric's as well. :P