Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by Keith »

Thought I'd start a topic for everyone playing DA or interested in reading about other players experiences.

I've created a Dual Wielding Rogue named Colin... Yeah, thought Ninjak would be a good in game character. Focusing on the dual wield and subterfuge abilities. Definitely fits the ninja theme, and I love the passive abilities that make you less noticeable to enemies. Easy backstabs!

I'm past the prologue, and am now tackling the Hinterland quests. It's really awesome how the quests and side quests are relevant to the theme of the game. So even fetch quests feel like you are doing something.

So far, great game!! Can't wait to play more!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by betterthanezra »

I'm just scratching the surface of this game because I'm also playing AC Unity

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I just finished my first playthrough I would recommend for your next character might be an elf. Trust me that are HUGE surprises about the elves, Tenventer, Flemeth, and one of the new companions.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I can't wait to get this game! I always loved running an elf mage in the previous Dragon Age games. Might do another. Have to see what options are presented.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Phoenix8008 wrote:I can't wait to get this game! I always loved running an elf mage in the previous Dragon Age games. Might do another. Have to see what options are presented.
You can play as female or male human, elf, dwarf, and quarai. You be Warrior and Rouge for all 4 races and a mage as human, elf, and qunari.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

You can be a color!?

:poke:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Keith

Post by Keith »

I'm hitting a point in this game where I think I need to be playing smarter. Too many times my party is getting wiped out, assuming it's because I am a) ill prepared for the battle (need to be better at customizing weapons, armor, or character layout), and b) just running my guys in to engage rather than taking the time to attempt some kind of strategy. I'd like to think that with a level 9 main character, and a level 8 for the other characters, I'd be able to finish the Hinterland rift closures, but there are still a few out there that I just get wiped out every time.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Keith wrote:I'm hitting a point in this game where I think I need to be playing smarter. Too many times my party is getting wiped out, assuming it's because I am a) ill prepared for the battle (need to be better at customizing weapons, armor, or character layout), and b) just running my guys in to engage rather than taking the time to attempt some kind of strategy. I'd like to think that with a level 9 main character, and a level 8 for the other characters, I'd be able to finish the Hinterland rift closures, but there are still a few out there that I just get wiped out every time.
Do this that Rift in on creek next to the farms near the camp. Don't attempt to close until you are at least level 8 or higher. Don't even think about taking on any High Dragon until you characters are at least level 12 (and that my advice for the one in Hinterlands since it's the easisit one in the game to beat)

Keith

Post by Keith »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Keith wrote:I'm hitting a point in this game where I think I need to be playing smarter. Too many times my party is getting wiped out, assuming it's because I am a) ill prepared for the battle (need to be better at customizing weapons, armor, or character layout), and b) just running my guys in to engage rather than taking the time to attempt some kind of strategy. I'd like to think that with a level 9 main character, and a level 8 for the other characters, I'd be able to finish the Hinterland rift closures, but there are still a few out there that I just get wiped out every time.
Do this that Rift in on creek next to the farms near the camp. Don't attempt to close until you are at least level 8 or higher. Don't even think about taking on any High Dragon until you characters are at least level 12 (and that my advice for the one in Hinterlands since it's the easisit one in the game to beat)
Yup, you were right 'strike. I was able to knock out the rift at the creek finally, but that's the only one. I tried the ones in the forest, no luck. Not even going to try a dragon, thanks for the heads up there. Now that I am at Skyhold, plenty more areas have opened up.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I've been playing the heck out of this game since I got it for Christmas. Just cracked the 50 hour mark last night getting to Skyhold. Exploring that now before venturing out to new areas that have unlocked. One neat discovery I made just last night: at the map table in the War Room, you can send Josephine, Cullen, and Leliana out on the time based missions simultaneously! Send Josephine on one, Cullen on another, and Leliana on another one! Wish I had found that out before!

As for the combat difficulty, I'm there with you on the rifts and the dragons. I started having trouble with the rifts around level 8 when the frosty spinning demons started appearing. Found out we really need to sometimes customize party to fit a certain fight instead of expecting the standard party load out to cut it. Switch to fire staffs with 2 wizards and 2 others and the frosty demons becaume more manageable. Especially if someone can dispel magic on one of the resummoning circles at the start of round 2. This gets rid of 1 demon you would have faced at least. Too bad you can't tell which type it's gonna be. I tried the Hinterlands dragon on a lark with main character lvl 11 and the rest lvl 10- managed to get it down to 1/2 health. Not too shabby. I recommend the Inquisitor perk that adds 4 more healing potions to the party's stockpile for a total of 12 instead of 8. That should help a lot!

Looking forward to more!
Viva la Valiant!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Phoenix8008 wrote:I've been playing the heck out of this game since I got it for Christmas. Just cracked the 50 hour mark last night getting to Skyhold. Exploring that now before venturing out to new areas that have unlocked. One neat discovery I made just last night: at the map table in the War Room, you can send Josephine, Cullen, and Leliana out on the time based missions simultaneously! Send Josephine on one, Cullen on another, and Leliana on another one! Wish I had found that out before!

As for the combat difficulty, I'm there with you on the rifts and the dragons. I started having trouble with the rifts around level 8 when the frosty spinning demons started appearing. Found out we really need to sometimes customize party to fit a certain fight instead of expecting the standard party load out to cut it. Switch to fire staffs with 2 wizards and 2 others and the frosty demons becaume more manageable. Especially if someone can dispel magic on one of the resummoning circles at the start of round 2. This gets rid of 1 demon you would have faced at least. Too bad you can't tell which type it's gonna be. I tried the Hinterlands dragon on a lark with main character lvl 11 and the rest lvl 10- managed to get it down to 1/2 health. Not too shabby. I recommend the Inquisitor perk that adds 4 more healing potions to the party's stockpile for a total of 12 instead of 8. That should help a lot!

Looking forward to more!

If you have a rouge (and you should) learn the hook and tackle skill under the Sabotage skill tree (it doesn't matter if you're duel wielder or an archer) this will fire a chain rope and the rouge will do a drop kick that does damage as well this actually pretty useful when dealing with multiple enemies and is helpful when dealing with enemies that move around a lot like Despair Demons and High Dragons. Upgrading the hook and tackle will reduce the cooldown time. The downside is that this skill takes a while to get but it's well with it though and this also works for Sera, Cole, Varric, and Rouge Inquisitor.

If you have a warrior (and you should) have them learn the grapple chain skill under the Battlemaster skill tree (it doesn't matter if you use two-handed weapons or weapon and a shield) this fires a chain and grabs the foe towards you where you can attack it without pity. Upgrading this skill will allow the warrior to give a boot to the face and can do damage and occasionally stuns the foe for you to do serious damage. This actually the first skill you can get under the Battlemaster skill tree and the major downside is that the grapple chain doesn't work on bigger monsters so while you can fire a chain at a High Dragon you're not going to drag toward the warrior and knock it out with a boot to the face. Use this for Iron Bull, Blackwall, Cassandra, and Warrior Inquisitor.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

So, after 154 hours, I just finished my first play through of DA:I as a Dalish Mage/Knight Enchanter. Awesome stuff! Thinking about going back for another playthrough on Nightmare difficulty (to get those two achievements). Probably just a speed run through the main quest line, instead of doing EVERY quest I could possibly do. Not sure what other race/class/specialization I would want to do next. Leaning toward either dual dagger rogue or sword and board fighter. Not positive yet though. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Viva la Valiant!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Phoenix8008 wrote:So, after 154 hours, I just finished my first play through of DA:I as a Dalish Mage/Knight Enchanter. Awesome stuff! Thinking about going back for another playthrough on Nightmare difficulty (to get those two achievements). Probably just a speed run through the main quest line, instead of doing EVERY quest I could possibly do. Not sure what other race/class/specialization I would want to do next. Leaning toward either dual dagger rogue or sword and board fighter. Not positive yet though. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Duel weilding rouge.
There The Jaws of Hakkron DLC which adds a new story based mission it's been out for PC and Xbox One for the last 2 months or so and will be coming to Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4 on May 26th 2015. You can also play as the oppisite gender, play the Inquisitor as another race (the dwarf is a lot of fun in some areas), try a different love interest, or go to http://www.dragonagekeep.com and create a new world state and see changes to DA:I.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:So, after 154 hours, I just finished my first play through of DA:I as a Dalish Mage/Knight Enchanter. Awesome stuff! Thinking about going back for another playthrough on Nightmare difficulty (to get those two achievements). Probably just a speed run through the main quest line, instead of doing EVERY quest I could possibly do. Not sure what other race/class/specialization I would want to do next. Leaning toward either dual dagger rogue or sword and board fighter. Not positive yet though. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Duel weilding rouge.
There The Jaws of Hakkron DLC which adds a new story based mission it's been out for PC and Xbox One for the last 2 months or so and will be coming to Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4 on May 26th 2015. You can also play as the oppisite gender, play the Inquisitor as another race (the dwarf is a lot of fun in some areas), try a different love interest, or go to http://www.dragonagekeep.com and create a new world state and see changes to DA:I.
I started off with a dual wielding rogue Qunari, but after being stuck with Varic for a bit, I came to like the sniper rogue and switched mine over to that and haven't looked back. I LOVE starting a fight from 50 feet away, unleashing an arrow that explodes and covers multiple enemies in poison that keeps injuring them over time. Or putting that one big tough bad guy to sleep for 30 seconds while the team polishes off his support archers/mages/whatever.

I looked up the new DLC and would love to get it, but it's $15 I don't have this second. Maybe before I finish this second play-through though. Only 36 or so hours in so far. Just got to Skyhold and opened up the rest of the explorable zones and ability to move on with further main quest stuff. Picked Templars this time through. Gonna have to drink from the pool of knowledge myself this time. That and doing it on Nightmare should net me 3 more achievements. Hopefully I'll beat the 1000 darkspawn and 2,500 foes total via this go round as well.
Viva la Valiant!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Duel weilding rouge.
I started off with a dual wielding rogue Qunari, but after being stuck with Varic for a bit, I came to like the sniper rogue and switched mine over to that and haven't looked back. I LOVE starting a fight from 50 feet away, unleashing an arrow that explodes and covers multiple enemies in poison that keeps injuring them over time. Or putting that one big tough bad guy to sleep for 30 seconds while the team polishes off his support archers/mages/whatever.

I looked up the new DLC and would love to get it, but it's $15 I don't have this second. Maybe before I finish this second play-through though. Only 36 or so hours in so far. Just got to Skyhold and opened up the rest of the explorable zones and ability to move on with further main quest stuff. Picked Templars this time through. Gonna have to drink from the pool of knowledge myself this time. That and doing it on Nightmare should net me 3 more achievements. Hopefully I'll beat the 1000 darkspawn and 2,500 foes total via this go round as well.
Duel wielding rouges IMHO are the best class. Jaws of Hakkron is also pretty high-level (the game itself recommends a starting at level 20).