Xbox One to feature backward compatibility

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Xbox One to feature backward compatibility

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Man, it's about time.This has been one of the major reasons I haven't been too enthused about upgrading to the new Xbox. Between this and the news of Fallout 4, I'm really leaning towards picking up one up by Christmas.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/06/1 ... -one/?_r=0

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: Xbox One to feature backward compatibility

Post by dornwolf »

to be honest this was THE announcement of E3 this year. There really wasn't anything aside from Final Fantasy 7, a remake, and Shenmue 3 kickstarter. I'm actually jealous to be honest. I'm a Playstation love and while I don't part with my consoles having just one under my tv instead of my 2 and 3 would be nice.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Yeah, having one console that can play both makes a lot more sense than hooking up two devices. Not sure why Microsoft had a change of heart, but it's really something that should have been offered from the launch date. I was also surprised to read that Sony charges 20 bucks a month for this on the PS4. I wonder if they will end up having to follow suit and make it free for their customers now.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Yeah, having one console that can play both makes a lot more sense than hooking up two devices. Not sure why Microsoft had a change of heart, but it's really something that should have been offered from the launch date. I was also surprised to read that Sony charges 20 bucks a month for this on the PS4. I wonder if they will end up having to follow suit and make it free for their customers now.
I believe Sony's service is much more than backwards compatibility. It's like a Netflix service for older games. You don't have to own the games to play them.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

jeremycoe wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:Yeah, having one console that can play both makes a lot more sense than hooking up two devices. Not sure why Microsoft had a change of heart, but it's really something that should have been offered from the launch date. I was also surprised to read that Sony charges 20 bucks a month for this on the PS4. I wonder if they will end up having to follow suit and make it free for their customers now.
I believe Sony's service is much more than backwards compatibility. It's like a Netflix service for older games. You don't have to own the games to play them.
See that's my problem. Playstation Now is merely a streaming serive that lets you rent and I believe possibly buy the games again. This is pretty friggin annoying if you already own the games. Hopefully now that Microsofts pulled it off Sony will gun for it as well.

Backwards compatibility is a big deal after all. I purposefully upgraded from a 2 to a 3 because it had the feature, then it died of course so I've got both systems hooked up again. If the 4 was announced to feature backwards mode with merely a patch I'd buy one right away.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

I don't have the time to play games anymore, but I am curious. Does it work on Xbox Ones that have already been sold? Or is it just news ones that are being made now?

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Jace wrote:I don't have the time to play games anymore, but I am curious. Does it work on Xbox Ones that have already been sold? Or is it just news ones that are being made now?
It'll work on all X-box Ones, all it is is a patch, which is why it's such a huge deal really. Just do the system update when it's released and your off to the races.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

dornwolf wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
See that's my problem. Playstation Now is merely a streaming serive that lets you rent and I believe possibly buy the games again. This is pretty friggin annoying if you already own the games. Hopefully now that Microsofts pulled it off Sony will gun for it as well.

Backwards compatibility is a big deal after all. I purposefully upgraded from a 2 to a 3 because it had the feature, then it died of course so I've got both systems hooked up again. If the 4 was announced to feature backwards mode with merely a patch I'd buy one right away.
Yeah, Playstation Now just ticks me off. I want to be able to play my PS3 games on my PS4. Some of them even have PSN versions that play on the PS4 natively, but because I own them on PS3 I have to play them on that. Either that, or open the PS3 remote play up to all games like the PS4 has.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

lorddunlow wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:

Yeah, Playstation Now just ticks me off. I want to be able to play my PS3 games on my PS4. Some of them even have PSN versions that play on the PS4 natively, but because I own them on PS3 I have to play them on that. Either that, or open the PS3 remote play up to all games like the PS4 has.
Personally I always wanted remote play to work the other way. I could care less about streaming from the playstation to my PSP/Vita, I'd love to do the reverse and go from PSP/Vita to the Playstation to the TV, could finally play some of those games on a big screen.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dornwolf wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:

Personally I always wanted remote play to work the other way. I could care less about streaming from the playstation to my PSP/Vita, I'd love to do the reverse and go from PSP/Vita to the Playstation to the TV, could finally play some of those games on a big screen.
You could buy a PS TV and play some of the Vita games on your TV. I use my PS TV to have a PS4 every room. Remote Play works that well in my house. I want to be able to do the same with my ps3 (especially since any room it is powered on in immediately gets 10 degrees hotter.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Yeah but I seriously haven't played any of my old 360 games since I bought the XBoxOne and looking at the upcoming games I can't see playing anything else after

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

betterthanezra wrote:Yeah but I seriously haven't played any of my old 360 games since I bought the XBoxOne and looking at the upcoming games I can't see playing anything else after

-Brian
And that's perfectly fine. Myself I love old systems still go out and buy old games and the whole nine yards. Backwards compatibility is an amazing thing to have especially here in Canada because new game prices are rising to like $80 o we literally have no real option if you can't afford new games but to go back and replay your old ones.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I've been playing tons of Gamecube and Wii games lately, especially since I hacked my WiiU to play Gamecube games.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

lorddunlow wrote:I've been playing tons of Gamecube and Wii games lately, especially since I hacked my WiiU to play Gamecube games.
WiiU can't do gamecube? Huh, totally thought that it could.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

dornwolf wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I've been playing tons of Gamecube and Wii games lately, especially since I hacked my WiiU to play Gamecube games.

Going back that far is probably a little much to expect in a system, but at least going back one gen should be standard fair, in my opinion.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

Going back that far is probably a little much to expect in a system, but at least going back one gen should be standard fair, in my opinion.
Well, the WiiU can do Gamecube games, just not as Nintendo has designed. They didn't include a drive capable of reading the smaller, proprietary discs from the Gamecube system in the WiiU like they did in the Wii (cost savings for them).

However, they included the ability to run the WiiU in Wii mode. It actually runs the actual Wii software on the WiiU hardware. It's like advanced emulation.

The Wii mode is so similar to an actual Wii, that the the Wii homebrew hacking programs still work, which allows playing Gamecube backup games from SD cards or hard drives. It's really cool.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

lorddunlow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

Well, the WiiU can do Gamecube games, just not as Nintendo has designed. They didn't include a drive capable of reading the smaller, proprietary discs from the Gamecube system in the WiiU like they did in the Wii (cost savings for them).

However, they included the ability to run the WiiU in Wii mode. It actually runs the actual Wii software on the WiiU hardware. It's like advanced emulation.

The Wii mode is so similar to an actual Wii, that the the Wii homebrew hacking programs still work, which allows playing Gamecube backup games from SD cards or hard drives. It's really cool.
That does sound cool. That reminds of another thing I wish Nintendo would do for the WiiU and allow us put our game discs on a hard drive like Xbox does. I don't like having to use the disc drive more than I have to. It's actually cheaper to just replace an external hard drive than try to have a worn out disc drive replaced (my original Wii wore out two).

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

That does sound cool. That reminds of another thing I wish Nintendo would do for the WiiU and allow us put our game discs on a hard drive like Xbox does. I don't like having to use the disc drive more than I have to. It's actually cheaper to just replace an external hard drive than try to have a worn out disc drive replaced (my original Wii wore out two).
Yeah. My original Wii is sounding like the drive is going bad. If you don't mind voiding your WiiU's warranty (if yours is even still under warranty), check out Wiiflow. There are lots of guides to install on both the Wii and WiiU. It's a homebrew program that allows you to rip your Wii games to a hard drive and play them from there. It is an extremely polished program and has lots of cool features. I love it. It's great firing up the Wii (or WiiU) and just browsing your entire game collection with covers and everything. The Wii does not even realize it is not being played on the disc, so it's completely the same experience.

If you want the Gamecube capabilities, just install Nintendont on the WiiU. (Lots of guides for that as well.) That program even supports Gamecube controllers natively through the Nintendo Gamcube adapter for WiiU, so you can play with the actual controllers. It also supports every controller known to man, both via USB and Bluetooth.

My favorite hobby is making hardware do more than it was designed for with software modifications, so the Wii was an absolute joy, because some hackers cracked it wide open. Completely modifiable with no hardware modifications.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

lorddunlow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

Yeah. My original Wii is sounding like the drive is going bad. If you don't mind voiding your WiiU's warranty (if yours is even still under warranty), check out Wiiflow. There are lots of guides to install on both the Wii and WiiU. It's a homebrew program that allows you to rip your Wii games to a hard drive and play them from there. It is an extremely polished program and has lots of cool features. I love it. It's great firing up the Wii (or WiiU) and just browsing your entire game collection with covers and everything. The Wii does not even realize it is not being played on the disc, so it's completely the same experience.

If you want the Gamecube capabilities, just install Nintendont on the WiiU. (Lots of guides for that as well.) That program even supports Gamecube controllers natively through the Nintendo Gamcube adapter for WiiU, so you can play with the actual controllers. It also supports every controller known to man, both via USB and Bluetooth.

My favorite hobby is making hardware do more than it was designed for with software modifications, so the Wii was an absolute joy, because some hackers cracked it wide open. Completely modifiable with no hardware modifications.
any one else find it odd how Nintendo systems seem easily moddable?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dornwolf wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
dornwolf wrote: WiiU can't do gamecube? Huh, totally thought that it could.

any one else find it odd how Nintendo systems seem easily moddable?
Well, it was all due to a weak point in the Gamecube. They included actual Gamecube hardware in the Wii for backwards compatibility, so the vulnerability was still there and was used to get access to open the Wii up via software. They included the Wii software in the WiiU without blocking the exploits, so now WiiU is vulnerable. They will likely have homebrew running on the WiiU shortly...

Salivating at the thought of playing all Wii/WiiU homebrew on game pad screen and using game pad controls... :drool:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Because most of the games that people want to play are still being played on Xbox 360 and PS3. As well as major VOD services which to be honest probably kept the Xbox 360 and PS3 going longer than they should have. Also it takes a while for a new console to have games beyond the launch titles that can really show what it can do.

Both Sony and Microsoft having less than stellar debuts for each of their consoles and MS having to walk back and get rid of several of the most unpopular features on Xbox One hasn't helped.

With so many high-profile AAA games still being offered on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well as the Xbox One and PS4 (this is not uncommon and I will call these transition games) why should players upgrade? I mean with so many high-profile games last year like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Destiny, Titan Fall, Battlefield: Hardline, and many other games and several popular titles such as Tomb Raider, Saints Row IV and most if not all the major Halo games all getting an "HD remaster" and sent to XB1 and PS4 hasn't made me want to upgrade to either system.

Now of course this change and we're finally stating to see games like Fallout 4, ME:A, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and more on the current generation that aren't going to be transition games that will help move players to the PS4 and/or XB1. Even the Rareware Collection and Final Fantasy VII: Remake are being going to current generation.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

jeremycoe
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I'm always just a full generation behind, so backwards compatability isn't a big issue for me.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.