Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:You're right Tony. My bad. X-Files is the longest running sci-fi tv show in the country where comics are the most popular! :thumb:
Sorry to point this out, but it isn't the longest running sci-fi show in the US either - Stargate Sg-1 is! Even counting the 2 movies & the recent short run of 6 episodes as a 10th season of X-Files, SG-1 also ran for 10 seasons plus had a couple additional specials after its 10th, and has a higher total episode count (Way more if you also include its spin-off shows).

Regardless, X-Files remains a really high profile show in pop culture!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I got my info via Google. I won't disputed you on this.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

So I managed to recover my Overstreet from 1991, and here's a telling sign...

Iron Man #1 and Sub Mariner #1 both saw moderate gains over the years. I used the middle value of "Fine" as a gauge, both books looks like they've gone up about 150-200% over the 25 year period - the lower being Sub Mariner #1. That value actually represents a small percentage increase compared to many other books of that era....

Iron Man and Sub Mariner #1 on the other hand, has a percentage increase less than the rate of inflation.
1991 F book value = $30.
2015 F book value = $45.

There's certainly an argument to be made that that book should be worth more considering it predates the other two issues. And lastly, by comparison FF # 4 first app. of SM in the Silver Age has a book value of $225 in F, but 2015 has a value of $1080.

Keep in mind these are book values which tend to undervalue big keys, which is probably why dealers like using overstreet as a buying guide. I think the example above the FF if graded by CGC would be closer to around $1500-1600 range.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Oh ya 1991 guide value of Detective 27 in Fine was $15k. Anyone around that time remember sales of the book? :lol:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Last one....

DD #1 a book I've had on my radar for awhile now was listed at $225 in Fine in 1991. Last year's book value was 963, and with the hit of the show the value has gone up a lot more since then. $1k will probably only buy you a VG/VG+ book.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

GGSAE wrote:So I managed to recover my Overstreet from 1991, and here's a telling sign...

Iron Man #1 and Sub Mariner #1 both saw moderate gains over the years. I used the middle value of "Fine" as a gauge, both books looks like they've gone up about 150-200% over the 25 year period - the lower being Sub Mariner #1. That value actually represents a small percentage increase compared to many other books of that era....

Iron Man and Sub Mariner #1 on the other hand, has a percentage increase less than the rate of inflation.
1991 F book value = $30.
2015 F book value = $45.

There's certainly an argument to be made that that book should be worth more considering it predates the other two issues. And lastly, by comparison FF # 4 first app. of SM in the Silver Age has a book value of $225 in F, but 2015 has a value of $1080.

Keep in mind these are book values which tend to undervalue big keys, which is probably why dealers like using overstreet as a buying guide. I think the example above the FF if graded by CGC would be closer to around $1500-1600 range.
Very cool analysis on this!

I don't know that this issue pre-dating the volumized #1's truly has much to do with this book as an undervalued gem, especially given comics current publishing model of a regular number 1 issue (you older guys remember when that was a special thing?).

However, this is actually an important book because it's a rare, rare example of a Silver Age one-shot - a publishing style that didn't truly become prolific until the 90's. Also, this isn't a throwaway book - the story is an absolutely direct continuity bridge linking the contents of Tales of Suspense #99 to Iron Man v1, #1. It is basically a necessary addition to Marvel's original, best and longest running continuity. The Iron Man / Sub-Mariner #1 Silver Age one shot is definitely an undervalued gem.
GGSAE wrote:DD #1 a book I've had on my radar for awhile now was listed at $225 in Fine in 1991. Last year's book value was 963, and with the hit of the show the value has gone up a lot more since then. $1k will probably only buy you a VG/VG+ book.
Not to mention that it's also one of the last Marvel Silver Age Keys that includes a top tier character first appearance which is still relatively affordable across the entire graded spectrum.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

IMJ wrote:
GGSAE wrote:So I managed to recover my Overstreet from 1991, and here's a telling sign...

1991 F book value = $30.
2015 F book value = $45.

Very cool analysis on this!

I don't know that this issue pre-dating the volumized #1's truly has much to do with this book as an undervalued gem, especially given comics current publishing model of a regular number 1 issue (you older guys remember when that was a special thing?).

However, this is actually an important book because it's a rare, rare example of a Silver Age one-shot - a publishing style that didn't truly become prolific until the 90's. Also, this isn't a throwaway book - the story is an absolutely direct continuity bridge linking the contents of Tales of Suspense #99 to Iron Man v1, #1. It is basically a necessary addition to Marvel's original, best and longest running continuity. The Iron Man / Sub-Mariner #1 Silver Age one shot is definitely an undervalued gem.
GGSAE wrote:DD #1 a book I've had on my radar for awhile now was listed at $225 in Fine in 1991. Last year's book value was 963, and with the hit of the show the value has gone up a lot more since then. $1k will probably only buy you a VG/VG+ book.
Not to mention that it's also one of the last Marvel Silver Age Keys that includes a top tier character first appearance which is still relatively affordable across the entire graded spectrum.
Thanks for the analysis, I know there's significance to that book but couldn't exactly connect the dots. I'm sure Marvel will start to do something more with Sub Mariner, if that ever happens this book will explode!

I think daredevil keys are cheap overall though, you can still find 131 in the $50-100 range for solid looking copies. I was kicking myself a few months back for not buying a low grade but with good eye-appeal DD1 for $450 CAD.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Avengers Ultron Forever one-shot might be a book to watch.

First Danielle Cage as Captain America - and with the way Marvel's transitioning their classic characters....
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Nice.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

While everybody is looking the other way I got these undervalued gems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

You're probably right about those being undervalued.

hulk181man

Post by hulk181man »

depluto wrote:While everybody is looking the other way I got these undervalued gems.

Nice haul! I always grab all the keys when I find 'em cheap.... :clap:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Just got confirmation from CGC they will notate Dark Diminion as JG Jones' first pro work.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

StarBrand wrote:Have they made a Planet of the Apes movie lately?
Yes they have 2 in fact (Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the of the Planet of the Apes) and third one War For the Planet of the Apes is coming out this year.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

hulk181man wrote:
depluto wrote:While everybody is looking the other way I got these undervalued gems.

Nice haul! I always grab all the keys when I find 'em cheap.... :clap:
Is the price dipping a little lately, or did you just pull a sniper trigger on a good deal? I still need a copy of that Solar #3.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Cyberstrike wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Have they made a Planet of the Apes movie lately?
Yes they have 2 in fact (Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the of the Planet of the Apes) and third one War For the Planet of the Apes is coming out this year.
Thanks.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

StarBrand wrote:Just got confirmation from CGC they will notate Dark Diminion as JG Jones' first pro work.
Atomic Avenue has copies of issue #7 in NM for $0.75--$1.50 plus shipping if you don't find one in the wild. Issue #7 is his first work, right?
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Yes, Dark Dominion 7 is JG Jones' first pro work. That's a great opportunity to pick that book up cheap in my opinion. Not much risk and defiantly some good upside.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

It was originally a mistake/correction/adjustment that there was a "gray Hulk" in Hulk #1 (1962) and a "green Hulk" in Hulk #2 (1962), but the storyline has separated the two types of Hulk (and other colors) for decades.

As a result, the first Hulk is definitely Hulk #1 and the value is really high (though it could still be undervalued), but I think Hulk #2 - first "green Hulk" - is the book that is definitely undervalued.

Both books are Marvel before Spider-man... early stuff.

:thumb:

hulk181man

Post by hulk181man »

greg wrote:It was originally a mistake/correction/adjustment that there was a "gray Hulk" in Hulk #1 (1962) and a "green Hulk" in Hulk #2 (1962), but the storyline has separated the two types of Hulk (and other colors) for decades.

As a result, the first Hulk is definitely Hulk #1 and the value is really high (though it could still be undervalued), but I think Hulk #2 - first "green Hulk" - is the book that is definitely undervalued.

Great advice, and I love those first 6 Hulk issues! :cloud9:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

greg wrote:It was originally a mistake/correction/adjustment that there was a "gray Hulk" in Hulk #1 (1962) and a "green Hulk" in Hulk #2 (1962), but the storyline has separated the two types of Hulk (and other colors) for decades.

By collectors that can pay, the early Hulk books are WAY in demand

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Elveen wrote:

If you don't mind me asking...
How often do you have $1,000+ books in your inventory?
When you have $1,000+ books, what ages are they? (Golden, Silver, Modern variants?)

I imagined your convention booth as mainly bargain bins with a few boxes of $10 to $50 books and perhaps a small $100 to $250 selection of modern variants and some Silver/Golden age non-keys.
Then I picture you having Walking Dead #1, Batman Adventures #12, New Mutants #98, Nyx #3, and maybe 10 or fewer of the other $500+ moderns.

I don't picture you having Amazing Fantasy #15, Hulk #1, etc., but maybe I'm wrong... what's the biggest key you've had (or what was the largest sale, and was it a pre-1970 book)?

Feel free to ignore any or all of these questions. :thumb:

So that you don't feel too much of a spotlight, my largest sale was a $6,500 Golden Age book in 2010... which paid for home improvements.
That book is now worth $10,000 but home improvements don't wait for the comic market to go up. I think I broke even on that one. :D
Otherwise, I rarely sell, and have never run a comic booth... so my interesting info probably stops at that one book. :lol:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

greg wrote:
Elveen wrote:

When you have $1,000+ books, what ages are they? (Golden, Silver, Modern variants?)

I imagined your convention booth as mainly bargain bins with a few boxes of $10 to $50 books and perhaps a small $100 to $250 selection of modern variants and some Silver/Golden age non-keys.
Then I picture you having Walking Dead #1, Batman Adventures #12, New Mutants #98, Nyx #3, and maybe 10 or fewer of the other $500+ moderns.

I don't picture you having Amazing Fantasy #15, Hulk #1, etc., but maybe I'm wrong... what's the biggest key you've had (or what was the largest sale, and was it a pre-1970 book)?

So that you don't feel too much of a spotlight, my largest sale was a $6,500 Golden Age book in 2010... which paid for home improvements.
That book is now worth $10,000 but home improvements don't wait for the comic market to go up. I think I broke even on that one. :D
Otherwise, I rarely sell, and have never run a comic booth... so my interesting info probably stops at that one book. :lol:
The funny thing about dealers are, some are borderline hoarders with a good selection of key books, but a massive quantity (in the thousands) of drek/junk.
Out of the three big ones that setup locally, one of them fits that mold. The other two have a pretty large pile of keys, and one in particular has a ton of big books (like 6 copies of Iron Man 1). I've been to his house and held a mid grade copy of Detective 38 in my hands. I can only imagine what the retail value of some of these collections would be worth, it would be one hell of an estate sale! :D

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

He probably has keys in a safe deposit box too.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Oh, man. I have similar stories about house improvements and down payments!

I talked about this to a local dealer recently. He said big books don't sell. They sit. For a long time. Once in awhile, someone comes in. However, he doesn't do shows any longer.

I will say, he had some amazing 9.6 9.8 early X-Men, but they were faded beyond belief. I mean, the color was gone. I asked him if they were encapsulated like that, and he said CGC doesn't care about fading. I call *SQUEE*. I think the slabs sat in open light near a window, and are now worthless as anything but crisp readers.