Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by StarBrand »

I have a friend who's a really successful dealer and has been for years. If he got his collection of CGC X-Men put on the registry he'd have the second best set.
He's always got new keys to show me when I visit him.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Tying into Greg's post, Hulk 1 in CGC 1.8 sold for $6,600 today.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

greg wrote:
Elveen wrote:
greg wrote:It was originally a mistake/correction/adjustment that there was a "gray Hulk" in Hulk #1 (1962) and a "green Hulk" in Hulk #2 (1962), but the storyline has separated the two types of Hulk (and other colors) for decades.

As a result, the first Hulk is definitely Hulk #1 and the value is really high (though it could still be undervalued), but I think Hulk #2 - first "green Hulk" - is the book that is definitely undervalued.

Both books are Marvel before Spider-man... early stuff.

:thumb:
By collectors that can pay, the early Hulk books are WAY in demand
If you don't mind me asking...
How often do you have $1,000+ books in your inventory?
When you have $1,000+ books, what ages are they? (Golden, Silver, Modern variants?)

I imagined your convention booth as mainly bargain bins with a few boxes of $10 to $50 books and perhaps a small $100 to $250 selection of modern variants and some Silver/Golden age non-keys.
Then I picture you having Walking Dead #1, Batman Adventures #12, New Mutants #98, Nyx #3, and maybe 10 or fewer of the other $500+ moderns.

I don't picture you having Amazing Fantasy #15, Hulk #1, etc., but maybe I'm wrong... what's the biggest key you've had (or what was the largest sale, and was it a pre-1970 book)?

Feel free to ignore any or all of these questions. :thumb:

So that you don't feel too much of a spotlight, my largest sale was a $6,500 Golden Age book in 2010... which paid for home improvements.
That book is now worth $10,000 but home improvements don't wait for the comic market to go up. I think I broke even on that one. :D
Otherwise, I rarely sell, and have never run a comic booth... so my interesting info probably stops at that one book. :lol:
I have no prob with any questions. Especially from you.

When I started I was probably as you described. I actually really focused on hard to find Indy books.

I have slowly changed that. I for sure don't have any mega keys like Hulk #1.
But I have slowly been building my silver collection. Not sure what my biggest current book is, but I do have a handful of $400-$500 books.

My biggest sale was a WD#1 that I did for $1,600 I believe.

I actually just bulked out my last $2 boxes. My bins have books that are $6-$60 and the. There is my wall.

My key books are (or have been) things like FF 48 and 52 ASM #16 and #50.

But I'm working.

I made the hulk comment cause I know guys who sel and buy those books

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I like some of the Marvel Milestone books as long-term investments. I also like the Uncanny X-Men 248, the first Jim Lee art on the title. What do you guys think of those picks? I want a few opinions and responses before investing. Thanks.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:I like some of the Marvel Milestone books as long-term investments. I also like the Uncanny X-Men 248, the first Jim Lee art on the title. What do you guys think of those picks? I want a few opinions and responses before investing. Thanks.
I've always seen the Marvel Milestone books as a "type" of collectible that would require that I start collecting that "type". So, I haven't done it.

There aren't a lot of examples (historically) where the first artist art on a title becomes a significant key, though Daredevil #158 is definitely more valuable than Daredevil #157. I still see X-Men #248 in bargain boxes, so it's not like you have much to lose much if you pick can them up under $5 each.

greg

Post by greg »

I think another undervalued gem is Superman #123 (1958). It should be obvious that it's undervalued when you compare it to Action Comics #252 (1959), but I think Action Comics #252 has decades more publicity than Superman #123. Yes, Superman #123 is a Supergirl (try-out) "prototype", but the fact that it's a full issue from D.C. with an identical costume, look, etc., including the cover appearance, means that this prototype became the real thing with very little changes. In other words, the Supergirl try-out worked... so Superman #123 is a Supergirl success story. That might not qualify as a "first appearance", but it's as near as it could possible get. :D

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Thanks Greg.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

greg wrote:I think another undervalued gem is Superman #123 (1958). It should be obvious that it's undervalued when you compare it to Action Comics #252 (1959), but I think Action Comics #252 has decades more publicity than Superman #123. Yes, Superman #123 is a Supergirl (try-out) "prototype", but the fact that it's a full issue from D.C. with an identical costume, look, etc., including the cover appearance, means that this prototype became the real thing with very little changes. In other words, the Supergirl try-out worked... so Superman #123 is a Supergirl success story. That might not qualify as a "first appearance", but it's as near as it could possible get. :D
This is a good call....certainly looks like Supergirl

How about Batman 78 (1953) RE: Martian Manhunter prototype. Take a look:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-1940-78- ... Sw5cNYUEFx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI Detective 225 = 11/55
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

greg

Post by greg »

hulk181man wrote:
greg wrote:I think another undervalued gem is Superman #123 (1958). It should be obvious that it's undervalued when you compare it to Action Comics #252 (1959), but I think Action Comics #252 has decades more publicity than Superman #123. Yes, Superman #123 is a Supergirl (try-out) "prototype", but the fact that it's a full issue from D.C. with an identical costume, look, etc., including the cover appearance, means that this prototype became the real thing with very little changes. In other words, the Supergirl try-out worked... so Superman #123 is a Supergirl success story. That might not qualify as a "first appearance", but it's as near as it could possible get. :D
This is a good call....certainly looks like Supergirl

How about Batman 78 (1953) RE: Martian Manhunter prototype. Take a look:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-1940-78- ... Sw5cNYUEFx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI Detective 225 = 11/55
That's a good one! :clap:

I've always been hopeful that the internet would not only stop people from overspending because of hype (as they did for books like Superman #75 in 1992), but that it would also allow more information to be shared as people look back and realize these types of situations in their comics. :thumb:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

StarBrand wrote:I like some of the Marvel Milestone books as long-term investments. I also like the Uncanny X-Men 248, the first Jim Lee art on the title. What do you guys think of those picks? I want a few opinions and responses before investing. Thanks.
Some people love these things. It also allows them to fill holes in their collection affordably. The covers on these are tremendously condition sensitive, however. You have to be careful. When I get these in collections, I put them in my keep pile. Some have become worth something. The Amazing Fantasy is worth some. Others, not so much. However, if anything, my kids will love reading them. FWIW, I've never found anything slabbable. 9.2 at best. People didn't take care of these very well, I find.

Along the same lines are these reprints that came in ToyBiz blisters. I'm not sure how many there are, but I have several dozen, and I'm sure there are more. They are full size reproductions (not mini) of key issues that came with action figures. The UPC codes typically have "Not For Resale" on them. There isn't much information on them, and there isn't many of them for sale on eBay. I haven't looked in some time, but there are probably dozens and dozens of these variants, and only 50 copies more or less up on eBay at any given time. I have a huge stack of them that I obtained in a collection, never bagged. Many of them have a black border around them and the price info is removed.

Here is one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible- ... SwnbZYGkkK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

in the blister:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYBIZ-MARVEL-L ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if some of these came in items other than Toybiz figures. Maybe, as I've seen many different types.

I have this Avengers book:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYBIZ-Marvel-L ... SwLpdW9gtn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ceiling is the price of a new blister pack, like this one. However, some are probably more valuable than others (e.g. Amazing Fantasy).

e.g. First Appearance of Toad - Uncanny 4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOAD-Marvel-Leg ... Swa~BYSI3C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Honestly, many of these figures are very cool, and I'm not so into that stuff.

http://www.toyhollywood.com/toys/legends-all.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I think Marvel Bronze Age keys are a good choics as they can have big price swings and when there is a lack of interest you can grab them for cheap. Back in 2011, I was able to pick up cgc 9.4 copies of Hero for Hire 1, Marvel Premiere 15, and Marvel Spotlight #5 for under $2500. With recent interest they are with a lot more now. Most Marvel Silver Age keys generally do not have a low period, although I agree there DC silver age keys are at good price points for future gains.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I think Marvel Bronze Age keys are a good choics as they can have big price swings and when there is a lack of interest you can grab them for cheap. Back in 2011, I was able to pick up cgc 9.4 copies of Hero for Hire 1, Marvel Premiere 15, and Marvel Spotlight #5 for under $2500. With recent interest they are with a lot more now. Most Marvel Silver Age keys generally do not have a low period, although I agree there DC silver age keys are at good price points for future gains.
Brilliant purchases.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:
I've always seen the Marvel Milestone books as a "type" of collectible that would require that I start collecting that "type". So, I haven't done it.

There aren't a lot of examples (historically) where the first artist art on a title becomes a significant key, though Daredevil #158 is definitely more valuable than Daredevil #157. I still see X-Men #248 in bargain boxes, so it's not like you have much to lose much if you pick can them up under $5 each.
Your post got me thinking. I came up with the first Byrne X-Men and the first Jim Lee Batman as other examples of an artist's first work on a title that sell at premiums. However, most don't seem to. I'm speculating, but maybe it depends on the quality of the run, writing included. DD 158 was Miller's first art on a title that he was also part of a great (including writing) run as artist. X-Men 108 was the first Byrne art on a title he did art for that was also a legendary run. Batman 608 was the first Jim Lee art in that title, and his run was really well written too.
Now that I think about it, I think Jim Lee had drawn Batman before issue 608, albeit for one of the lesser Batman titles.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I think it might be Batman Black and White 1 that's the first Jim Lee Batman art, although not in the main Batman title.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm not going to be surprised if there's a movie featuring Onslaught.

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

StarBrand wrote:
greg wrote:

Your post got me thinking. I came up with the first Byrne X-Men and the first Jim Lee Batman as other examples of an artist's first work on a title that sell at premiums. However, most don't seem to. I'm speculating, but maybe it depends on the quality of the run, writing included. DD 158 was Miller's first art on a title that he was also part of a great (including writing) run as artist. X-Men 108 was the first Byrne art on a title he did art for that was also a legendary run. Batman 608 was the first Jim Lee art in that title, and his run was really well written too.
Now that I think about it, I think Jim Lee had drawn Batman before issue 608, albeit for one of the lesser Batman titles.
1st Romita - Spidey (#39)
1st McFarlane - Hulk (#330)
1st Stan Lee - Captain America Comics (#3)
:?
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Didn't Wizard Magazine have a feature called something like ''buried treasure'' or ''hidden treasure''? This thread has become sort of an interactive version of that feature.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I kind of like Amazing Spider-Man 31... first Gwen Stacy and first Harry Osborn. I was checking out the slabs for sale, but I saw it was plentiful and there are almost 40 CGC copies on eBay. I just don't see how that can move up in price anytime soon with that many slabs available. Thoughts?

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

I want all the comiXpress editions of zombie tramp and I need the cursed pirate girl these are insanely hard to find I have bid on them on a few occasions and got sniped everytime they are pretty expensive but I think they are just like the mouse guard I just don't see how the value will ever drop

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I think that Marvel Special Edition 15 is undervalued. Shang-Chi has the potential to show up in Luke Cage or Iron Fist, he is a known character, and you can score a 9.4 copy for under $300.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

StarBrand wrote:
greg wrote:

I think the difference with Miller on DD is that the first book started a huge iconic run of the series. Miller has all those great covers involving Electra and Punisher, one of the top (if not the top) storylines of DD. Think of Macfarlane on ASM.

I think first artwork/storyline should be more obvious, Jim Lee isn't to me.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

corey wrote:I want all the comiXpress editions of zombie tramp and I need the cursed pirate girl these are insanely hard to find I have bid on them on a few occasions and got sniped everytime they are pretty expensive but I think they are just like the mouse guard I just don't see how the value will ever drop
Wow! I've never heard of a small press print-to-order comic being sought after. Kind of cool. I think one or two of my Surprising Comics issues used Comixpress. They're out of business now. There probably aren't many Comixpress Zombie Tramps even printed.
Update: just did some quick research. One person is quoted as saying the creators stated the print run is in the low hundreds, which is actually high for a Comixpress book. I also found out Mouse Guard was initially printed by ComixPress. An issue of Mouse Guard printed by ComixPress sold for over $1,300 on eBay in 2013.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

GGSAE wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
greg wrote:

I think the difference with Miller on DD is that the first book started a huge iconic run of the series. Miller has all those great covers involving Electra and Punisher, one of the top (if not the top) storylines of DD. Think of Macfarlane on ASM.

I think first artwork/storyline should be more obvious, Jim Lee isn't to me.
I know Jim Lee did the cover to Batman: Black and White #1 (and it's been used for various TPB and HCs of the same mini-series) and he MIGHT have drawn a story in the first issue, I'm not sure.

Here is something that some people forget is TPBs and HCs.
I know the Eclipse TPBs and HCs for Miracleman were pretty expensive especially Miracleman Book 3: Nemesis due to a printing error with some copies having #15 that only reprints the first half (roughly about 10 pages) then reprints the same pages again. The TPBs could cost anywhere between $50-160 depending on condition the HCs were $100-$1000 with HCs of books 3 and 4 being easily over $500. I don't know if the Marvel reprints have affected their value.
Titan Books also reprinted the original Marvel US series of The Transformers in TPBs and HCs (with some well known artists including John Byrne, Bryan Hitch, Alan Davies, Howard Chaykin, Phil Jeminez, and others drawing the covers to the HCs) and a good chunk of the Marvel UK series in the UK sized (roughly the size of an 80s American magazine) and later novel sized TPBs and this was before and during Dreamwave and ended shortly after IDW got the rights.

There also characters and properties that jump through multiple publishers Marshal Law had two graphic novels published by a small company called Apocalypse Press (I think they were called Kingdom of the Blind and The Ungrateful Dead) that are very hard to find I got lucky and found both of them many years ago, and Robotech likewise has been with small indy publishers before DC/Wildstorm and their current publisher Titan picked up the rights. Star Trek has been published by just about every major company and then some for the last 50 years.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

maraxusofkeld

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I think that Batman 232 is undervalued by a long shot. IMHO it is a mega key and can be had in CGC 9.4 for at or around $1000. I think he is the most important and relevant Batman villain that came after the golden age characters.