Another Xbox 360.... dead...

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

my ps2 has the HDD and load time are about nothing had it from the day it came out :thumb: :thumb:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

etos45 wrote:I BELIEVE they still make a games for PS2. That was such a vastly popular system that I think it's going to be a while until it dies out. I like getting the older PS2s because you can drop a hard drive in there and back all your games up to it, which really helps with load times and with protecting the laser.
Yeah, but can you put XBMC on it? :D

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

Heath wrote:
etos45 wrote:I BELIEVE they still make a games for PS2. That was such a vastly popular system that I think it's going to be a while until it dies out. I like getting the older PS2s because you can drop a hard drive in there and back all your games up to it, which really helps with load times and with protecting the laser.
True true... but then, I don't have to attempt to solder a mod chip in and mess it up turning my Xbox into a giant paper weight either. :P

Heath

Post by Heath »

etos45 wrote:
Heath wrote:
True true... but then, I don't have to attempt to solder a mod chip in and mess it up turning my Xbox into a giant paper weight either. :P
I've got two modded Xboxes and neither of them have a mod chip. You can mod through software now. :thumb:

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Heath wrote:
etos45 wrote:
Heath wrote:
I've got two modded Xboxes and neither of them have a mod chip. You can mod through software now. :thumb:
I've heard about that... was very tempted with my the recent X-box that I auctioned off here on the board but I just didnt want to mess with it. With my luck with me messing with it the Xbox might have turned into a WMD and then I would have the local Homeland Security dudes all over the place... but it would be an easy way to get out of it by saying, "The Chinese did it, the Chinese did it !!!" and then walk around in a circle with only one shoe. :wink:

Heath

Post by Heath »

:funnypost:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Heath wrote:
etos45 wrote:
Heath wrote:
AHHH?!?!? I knew you could do that with the 360s by flashing the drives, but I didn't know you could with the old ones. I guess it doesn't really matter no anyways since my old Xbox is dead and in pieces... but it would have been nice to know that before. Does the XBMC work with a software mod, though?

Also, have you tried the mod on the 360? I hear that live can't detect it and I was considering trying it on my old 360 if I ever get it working again.

Heath

Post by Heath »

etos45 wrote:AHHH?!?!? I knew you could do that with the 360s by flashing the drives, but I didn't know you could with the old ones. I guess it doesn't really matter no anyways since my old Xbox is dead and in pieces... but it would have been nice to know that before. Does the XBMC work with a software mod, though?

Also, have you tried the mod on the 360? I hear that live can't detect it and I was considering trying it on my old 360 if I ever get it working again.
I don't have a 360, so I don't know anything about modding it. And yep, XBMC works just fine with a softmod. I've gotten pretty good at softmodding the original Xbox. I've done both of mine, a couple others for friends, and about to do another one for my dad (for XBMC purposes). I put a bigger hard drive in one of mine so I could copy our most played games to the hard drive and load/play without having to grab the discs. I wish the hardware could handle HD video better, but a classic Xbox with XBMC on it is about the most awesome thing on earth!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

ok... admitting extreme ignorance here but what is XBMC ?

Heath

Post by Heath »

XBox Media Center

It turns your Xbox into a streaming media server. "But I can do that with the 360 right out of the box" you might be about to say. The 360's capabilities are nothing compared to XBMC. It will play any media format you throw at it - avi, mpg, divx, xvid, flv, and tons of formats you've never heard of. You can even rip a DVD to an ISO, load that ISO in XBMC and it will play it just as if you inserted the physical disc.

To make it even better, it has "Library mode." Set up folders for TV shows, movies, etc. and scan them with XBMC. It will download artwork, episode titles, synopsis, actors, directors, ratings, etc. Point it to your music library and it will download CD covers, artist information, and more. Point it at your digital pictures and view them in a slide show while listening to your music collection.

You can install scripts that will let you browse and view Apple Quicktime movie trailers, YouTube videos, and more. It will show your local weather (or weather for 3 locations of your choice). It has an RSS reader.

And I'm selling it short. It's really an amazing piece of software.

JustCallMeAric
...remember that they are just paper.
...remember that they are just paper.

Post by JustCallMeAric »

Heath wrote:So I should get my son a Playstation 3 for Christmas instead of a 360? All he really wants is Guitar Hero anyway...
Wii is a lot more fun

Heath

Post by Heath »

JustCallMeAric wrote:
Heath wrote:So I should get my son a Playstation 3 for Christmas instead of a 360? All he really wants is Guitar Hero anyway...
Wii is a lot more fun
I did say it was for my son, not my daughter, right?

:twisted:

dbostejano
Here's my not so custom custom.
Here's my not so custom custom.

Post by dbostejano »

If the choice is between PS3 or Xbox. go with the Xbox. I've had mine with no problems and the online gaming is second to none.

If you're thinking about a wii and it's for the family, then go with it. But for online gaming the 360 is the best-

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:Wow I'm not the only one ......

:| Sorry

-Brian
Did you get your X-Box fixed yet, Brian?
I just mailed my X-Box 360 out yesterday for repairs...

It's been 8 months...I can wait another 3-4 weeks.

Then I'm playing Fable II :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

fable 1 was great not even seen 2 yet :!: :!: :!:

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

My 360 is repaired and on it's way back to California :clap:

I should get this from UPS on Wednesday :thumb:

-Brian

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

360 was on time for delivery today and was actually delivered late last night :D

Now I just need to find some gaming time :thumb:

-Brian

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Glad to see you got it back, Brian. Hopefully that's the last time you have to go through that.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Glad to see you got it back, Brian. Hopefully that's the last time you have to go through that.
Given the history of the machine, it probably won't be. Aside from money, this is the one reason I haven't purchased an Xbox360

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by h-comics »

I had mine mess up 5 months after purchasing it,sent it off ,got it back and messed up again :( .So I said the hell with it and bought and Elite and no problems since then.I hope you have better luck BTE.

Jesse