Older Gaming/Collecting

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

h-comics wrote:Sorry to tell this but your PS 2 does not have much life left.Two of mine went that road.It starts by not reading PS 1 games,then DVD movies,and the rest is history.

Jesse
Yeah, my brother went through a bunch of units and kept having the same problem with all of them.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

h-comics wrote:I really admire slym for playing one of crapiest FF around :P .

Jesse
I didn't care for it when it came out. I put it aside and decided to come back to it later. Well. it was almost a year before I went back to it and that time around, I ended up really getting into it. A very different FF, especially the playing system, but great in its own right.

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by h-comics »

*thumbs down* for me.I just could not get in to it for sake of it.It just did not work for me, just did not feel right.

Jesse

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

h-comics wrote:*thumbs down* for me.I just could not get in to it for sake of it.It just did not work for me, just did not feel right.

Jesse
I agree, it's a very take it or leave it game. It's not my favorite FF but it isn't my least favorite either. My all time favorite FF is 6, which I've played since it was "3" on the SNES. Some like 5, because of the customizable system, but not me. The story in 5 just never grabbed me and I haven't gone back to finish it. What was it that didn't feel right about 8? I know that for me, things I didn't like when I started playing it was that you only got paid at intervals, although that was explained via story and made sense but also, I think the way the armor and weapons were handled took away from the depth of the game, instead of adding strategy to it. I loved the Guardian Forces, but it took me a while to get the hang of it and that, I think, is the main issue I have with the game. It is far too difficult to get into. It's a complex but not "hard" game and the way in which it is complex does not lend itself to a mass audience, as well as turning off fans of the other games in the series. It's not the finest in the series, but in no way is it the low point. For me, among the regular titles, that would be either 2 or 5.

h-comics

Post by h-comics »

:clap: I love FF3,for me the best of the series.I have always LOVED FF 9 also too.Many people never seem to give it a chance which does not make any sense to me.I know I still have it here somewhere in the house.

Jesse

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

dbest4u wrote:Am a sucker for the Neo Geo, heres my collection:

I also own all Sega machines released in the US, Pc Engine/Turbo Duo, and some Nintendo. The Saturn and Genesis are my next favorites, great machines they are.

JS

ps check out Racketboys guide, its helpful for beginners :

http://www.racketboy.com/guide
As I mentioned above, I love the Racketboy site too! It cracks me up how whenever we all talk about other collections here we come crawling out of the wood work with all of this other stuff we've got stashed away besides comics. Not that I'm not guilty of that myself, but you guys wouldn't know that.

-o-
:oops:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

h-comics wrote::clap: I love FF3,for me the best of the series.I have always LOVED FF 9 also too.Many people never seem to give it a chance which does not make any sense to me.I know I still have it here somewhere in the house.

Jesse
FF8 was my first ever experience with the Final Fantasy name. I had honestly never heard of it before then. I must have still been playing 8 when 9 came out, I totally missed it. I have X, barely played it, and even have X-2 which I have NOT played. I saw 11, but it looked a little too cartoony for my taste.

Someone gave my FF: Tactics (a Greatest Hits version, but hey) and I keep meaning to pop that in and give it a try...

:|

-slym (is still stuck in 8, playing a "power-up" strategy)

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

slym2none wrote:
h-comics wrote::clap: I love FF3,for me the best of the series.I have always LOVED FF 9 also too.Many people never seem to give it a chance which does not make any sense to me.I know I still have it here somewhere in the house.

Jesse
FF8 was my first ever experience with the Final Fantasy name. I had honestly never heard of it before then. I must have still been playing 8 when 9 came out, I totally missed it. I have X, barely played it, and even have X-2 which I have NOT played. I saw 11, but it looked a little too cartoony for my taste.

Someone gave my FF: Tactics (a Greatest Hits version, but hey) and I keep meaning to pop that in and give it a try...

:|

-slym (is still stuck in 8, playing a "power-up" strategy)
Ok. Here's what ya do, man. Unless you totally dig strategy games, don't go anywhere near Tactics for a while. Second, decide if you want to taste (but only sort of) old school Final Fantasy without the old school graphics. If you do, then try 9, as 6 does NOT have a good Playstation translation. (load times are 4 times slower, even making battles feel slow, than on the SNES version) FF 4 was good for the PS, however. Anyways, back on target. If you want to experience New School Final Fantasy, forget about FFX-2. No offense to those who enjoyed it, but it's much more a side game than a real sequel-although technically it is-and it's not aimed at as mature an audience, either. So, go for 10, which is AMAZING, although as much love as I have for that, it's difficult for me to decide if I liked 12 more (although 12 blows damn near everything on the PS2 out of the water in terms of visuals). Get cracking, man. Time to move past FF 8. :thumb:

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I don't like change!

-slym

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

slym2none wrote:I don't like change!

-slym
Too bad. You have to graduate. The fundss have dried up. Animal House is being shut down :P

h-comics

Post by h-comics »

:lol: :funnypost:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

sweet stash :thumb:

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Let me beat Ultimecia this time with my bare hands, then I'll try other stuff. It will be X or X-2, or maybe Tactics, though, as I don't have any $ flow.

I like strategy, why else would I be interested in FF Tactics to begin with? I know it's quite different from 8, but I'm not scared...

:D

-slym

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

slym2none wrote:Let me beat Ultimecia this time with my bare hands, then I'll try other stuff. It will be X or X-2, or maybe Tactics, though, as I don't have any $ flow.

I like strategy, why else would I be interested in FF Tactics to begin with? I know it's quite different from 8, but I'm not scared...

:D

-slym
Did you ever play Vandal Hearts, on the PS1? If so, did you enjoy it? Well, if so-lol-you're gonna love FFT. The battles aren't visually as bloodsoaked, but the story and system are wonderful. It takes a little getting used to. Oh, and the world of FFT is the same world as FF12. But, FF12 appears to be set long after the events in FFT and has several changes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

No, I haven't heard of Vandal Hearts, either...

Maybe have to look that one up after I play Tactics.....

-slym

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

slym2none wrote:No, I haven't heard of Vandal Hearts, either...

Maybe have to look that one up after I play Tactics.....

-slym
I've seen it on Ebay for 15-50. Good game. If you snag it, turn on the texture mapping for the PS1. It really helps Vandal Hearts. It goes from a good looking game of its time to a GREAT looking one. Very smooth edges and features, rather than the slight choppiness you get without turning it on or by playing it on the original system. Honestly, I never imagined the difference would be so, well, DYNAMIC.

dbest4u
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by dbest4u »

xodacia81 wrote:

I also own all Sega machines released in the US, Pc Engine/Turbo Duo, and some Nintendo. The Saturn and Genesis are my next favorites, great machines they are.

JS

Wow, just...Wow. I won't even ASK how much that cost and how long it took. Just...holy WOW. Oh, and one of the best Avatars EVER.

I have been buying into the Neo for the last 4 years, I have spent twice as much in SNK than in my Valiant collection and in less time :!: . Its great though, I love playing old school games. The collector in me likes to buy limited consoles to, for example: Laseractive with Sega and Nec pak, Treamcast, Derby Saturn, V-Saturn, had a Hello Kitty Dreamcast. I wont jump into the Playstation for collecting just yet, its library is just too vast to even try.

JS

dbest4u

Post by dbest4u »

IMJ wrote:

JS

As I mentioned above, I love the Racketboy site too! It cracks me up how whenever we all talk about other collections here we come crawling out of the wood work with all of this other stuff we've got stashed away besides comics. Not that I'm not guilty of that myself, but you guys wouldn't know that.

-o-
Its the kid in us thats making us buy all this, I need to go Chucky Cheese now

Laterz

JS

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Boring day. Broke out the SNES. Started playing Soulblazer and ActRaiser. Man, they do not make games this way anymore. Things have really changed. Anyone else ever play either of these?

JustCallMeAric
...remember that they are just paper.
...remember that they are just paper.

Post by JustCallMeAric »

dbest4u wrote:
IMJ wrote:

JS

-o-

Laterz

JS
CHuckee Cheesee is a blast. My wife is a beast at ski ball

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

JustCallMeAric wrote:
dbest4u wrote:
IMJ wrote:

JS

-o-

Laterz

JS
CHuckee Cheesee is a blast. My wife is a beast at ski ball
My daughter loves C-E-C, but her mother HATES playing the games. She can be a stick in the mud. I haven't played Ski( I thought it was Skeet) Ball in ages.