Is Archer and Armstrong a limited series?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
Re: Is Archer and Armstrong a limited series?

Post by Aram »

Well i think it would just be bad marketing that would turn off comic shops since nothing in previews or anywhere else even hinted it might be limited. If it was an oversight or a last minute decision, now would certainly be the time to make their plans known.

Otherwise I think there would be alot of backlash in the market if final orders went in under the impression of an ongoing series. If it were stated that this was a limited run leading into eternal warrior, I could see VEI still saving face over the misunderstanding if they said that soon.

Based off that... I'm keeping faith that it's not limited for the time being.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

If it's a mini, it's probably a mini that springboards into something similar. I'm not worried about it. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride while you guys worry about it. :thumb:
ASM Crossover Home

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

400yrs wrote:If it's a mini, it's probably a mini that springboards into something similar. I'm not worried about it. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride while you guys worry about it. :thumb:
I know right?

If it's a mini-series, it seems to be a mini-series by design. If it's an ongoing, it's an ongoing by design. Either way, it's a Valiant universe, by design, and so far the design has been awesome.

So, should be sweet either way.

Aram

Post by Aram »

Dr. Solar wrote:
400yrs wrote:If it's a mini, it's probably a mini that springboards into something similar. I'm not worried about it. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride while you guys worry about it. :thumb:
I know right?

If it's a mini-series, it seems to be a mini-series by design. If it's an ongoing, it's an ongoing by design. Either way, it's a Valiant universe, by design, and so far the design has been awesome.

Well I agree with that. I think it might even be better as a mini since 5 issues would make up 20% of the original's run.

I'm just worried Dealers won't see it the same way. They are all still flashing back to the stockpiles left after the 90's crash and don't realize that so far this is the best of the best and none of the bad of that time.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Dr. Solar wrote:
I know right?

Good points. I am just looking forward to as many new issues as possible. As long it it leads into something else I'm good with that.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Highly disappointed, if true...
#StayValiant

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I think it could work well to do alternating A&A, Eternal Warrior, and Timewalker limited series that connect to each other, some moreso than others, and the characters can certainy crossover. With the current cover price of comics, this would be advantageous to the consumer to constantly get one monthly book with the immortal brothers, but not having to buy 3 separate immortal brothers books plus X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Rai, Q&W, etc. The same thing could be done with Bloodshot and Rai and the stories could contain teasers, foreshadowing, etc. to make the books even more interesting. How many monthly comics is the average consumer willing to buy?
***Support your local farmers!***

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

geocarr wrote:I think it could work well to do alternating A&A, Eternal Warrior, and Timewalker limited series that connect to each other, some moreso than others, and the characters can certainy crossover. With the current cover price of comics, this would be advantageous to the consumer to constantly get one monthly book with the immortal brothers, but not having to buy 3 separate immortal brothers books plus X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Rai, Q&W, etc. The same thing could be done with Bloodshot and Rai and the stories could contain teasers, foreshadowing, etc. to make the books even more interesting. How many monthly comics is the average consumer willing to buy?
I think you have to work under the assumption that not everyone reading a valiant comic is reading them all.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

geocarr wrote:I think it could work well to do alternating A&A, Eternal Warrior, and Timewalker limited series that connect to each other, some moreso than others, and the characters can certainy crossover. With the current cover price of comics, this would be advantageous to the consumer to constantly get one monthly book with the immortal brothers, but not having to buy 3 separate immortal brothers books plus X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Rai, Q&W, etc. The same thing could be done with Bloodshot and Rai and the stories could contain teasers, foreshadowing, etc. to make the books even more interesting. How many monthly comics is the average consumer willing to buy?
And to think I came back to comics because I wanted a relatively cheap hobby. Who was I kidding?
Spooooon!!!!

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

SJS4 wrote:
I think you have to work under the assumption that not everyone reading a valiant comic is reading them all.
A good writer could craft stories such that the reader wouldn't need to but it would enhance the story and characters further if they did.
***Support your local farmers!***

Aram

Post by Aram »

geocarr wrote: A good writer could craft stories such that the reader wouldn't need to but it would enhance the story and characters further if they did.
That's one thing I really loved about the original universe, if a story was continued in another title when the next regular issue came in the first few pages it usually picked up at the end of whatever happened so that you could tell at least most of what you had missed.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

geocarr wrote:I think it could work well to do alternating A&A, Eternal Warrior, and Timewalker limited series that connect to each other, some moreso than others, and the characters can certainy crossover.
I agree. One of the mistakes in VH1 was creating ongoing titles that couldn't sustain themselves. I wouldn't think a&A falls into that category but I'm okay with VEI being prudent.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
geocarr wrote:I think it could work well to do alternating A&A, Eternal Warrior, and Timewalker limited series that connect to each other, some moreso than others, and the characters can certainy crossover.
I agree. One of the mistakes in VH1 was creating ongoing titles that couldn't sustain themselves. I wouldn't think a&A falls into that category but I'm okay with VEI being prudent.
A & A was the one title that surprised me when it was announced as I thought Shadowman was the only other concept that could carry an ongoing series after XO, Harby and Bloodshot. So making it a limited series makes sense from that perspective. On the other hand, once the creative team was announced I thought it could do well, so maybe the decision is based on FVL and Henry not being able/wanting to stay on long-term.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

But we don't know officially from VEI that it's a limited series, right? But then, why would the writer be pretty firm that it's a mini-series if it's not?
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Heath wrote:But we don't know officially from VEI that it's a limited series, right?
Not to my knowedge. I haven't listened to that podcast so for all we know he simply misspoke.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Listen to the podcast. The interviewer seems taken aback when the writer announces it is a mini-series. But he announces it is a different take.

He asks about the series arc, then responds it is a five issue limited series. The interviewer seems surprised, but he reitereates that it is a five-issue limited series.

But he also makes large allusions to The quest to attain the immortality...

I will be the first one to suggest this is the concept behind the new 'Unity' crossover. I have no knowledge. My only guess is his hesitance in the interview to carefully craft his words. Take a listen. It is only about four minutes.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Dr. Solar wrote:If it's a mini-series, it seems to be a mini-series by design. If it's an ongoing, it's an ongoing by design. Either way, it's a Valiant universe, by design, and so far the design has been awesome.

Good points. :thumb:

One more possibility (though, I have nothing to base this on...), what if Archer & Armstrong stops at #5... for a while... then picks up again?
There were seven months between Rai #8 and Rai #9.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kevinbastos wrote:He asks about the series arc, then responds it is a five issue limited series. The interviewer seems surprised, but he reitereates that it is a five-issue limited series.

But he also makes large allusions to The quest to attain the immortality...

I will be the first one to suggest this is the concept behind the new 'Unity' crossover. I have no knowledge. My only guess is his hesitance in the interview to carefully craft his words. Take a listen. It is only about four minutes.
Yikes, you're right, there was nothing ambiguous about it. :cry:

But I like your crossover theory. :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

greg wrote:One more possibility (though, I have nothing to base this on...), what if Archer & Armstrong stops at #5... for a while... then picks up again?
There were seven months between Rai #8 and Rai #9.
And look how well that worked for Rai And The Future Force :P

But, yeah, this could be any number of things, and mean any number of things. I'm not gonna worry.

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

jmatt wrote:
Will sure as heck help the ol' wallet
Spooooon!!!!

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

tchalla8 wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Will sure as heck help the ol' wallet
Actually, the more I think about it, the more it might make pretty good sense to start a&A as a mini:

1) VEI doesn't want to overwhelm readers that are not fanatics like us. It's easier to coax someone into a look with a mini than it is to convince him to make it a part of his permanent monthly purchases.

2) It builds an audience for a future ongoing title.

3) I eliminates the embarassment of having to cancel a title should the book not be well received, which could show publisher weakness and affect the sales of the other ongoing titles. a&A are not the icons X-O, Solar, Magnus, EW and Bloodshot were; there's probably little immediate name recognition for the book.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Dr. Solar wrote: And look how well that worked for Rai And The Future Force :P
Rai # 8 Est. Print: 100,000
Rai and the Future Force # 9 Est. Print: 800,000

:? :P
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

I like the idea of a mini if VEI doesn't feel they have top notch storylines in the pipeline. We have to trust that they'll make the right call ---- remember the dreck A&A turned into after BWS left.....

Acclaim may have had the right idea with these characters, wrap them into an Eternal Warrior book as supporting cast.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

hulk181man wrote:I like the idea of a mini if VEI doesn't feel they have top notch storylines in the pipeline. We have to trust that they'll make the right call ---- remember the dreck A&A turned into after BWS left.....

Acclaim may have had the right idea with these characters, wrap them into an Eternal Warrior book as supporting cast.
For the most part, Acclaim did a decent job with Eternal Warriors. I didn't really care for the way they portrayed Gilad though, he was way too cold-blooded and ruthless.

arghh!
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by arghh! »

I just don't look forward to a ton of variants for each mini if that is the way they go. I know I don't have to buy them but I have this sickness when it comes to Valiant books that compels me :cry: