Most awesome comicbook fight ever, in your opinion!

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Most awesome comicbook fight ever, in your opinion!

Post by Elveen »

My favorite, as I was reading at the time, was when Japan turned into the dragon and used the plasma cannon!

Maybe my favorite, as I was experiencing it, 2 page spread ever.

My least favorite, when the Governor cut off Tyreese's head. UGH.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Yeah, count me in for the Bloodshot vs. Harada during Harbinger Wars. I remember reading it to my wife and I think my voice started shaking as I got more into the fight.

I know this may be a controversial choice, but I will also put forward Acclaim X-O vs. Acclaim Bloodshot. That was a no holds barred slobber knocker, bah gawd!!!!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

JCP wrote:Incredible Hulk #340. Hulk jumps into the air and crashes into a plane. The X-Men see this and Wolverine decides to teach Hulk a lesson. What a brutal battle all issue long. Wolvie learns the hard way that the Hulk can regenerate too. McFarlane got me into comics as a kid and this issue was one of the most special growing up.
I *loved* that era of Incredible Hulk. That was a great battle issue. :thumb:

I also liked a few of the big battles just after McFarlane left & Jeff Purves took over. #348 had an absolutely brutal battle with Crusher Creel, the Absorbing Man. I remember being legitimately disturbed by the way that fight ended, I thought Creel was dead for sure. Peter David wrote the grey hulk as such a dark incarnation at the time.

Also loved the fight with The Thing in #350, where he outsmarted Ben to tire him out before delivering the knockout blow.

And I forget which issue it was specifically, but shortly after that he fought the Abomination and defeated him by melting his head with acid?! So crazy dark!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

i also agree with superman/doomsday..but i have not read the miracleman battle

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

corey wrote:i also agree with superman/doomsday..but i have not read the miracleman battle
For a while it was difficult to. The rights to reprints of the series being in question lead to the original issues being worth quite a bit. Luckily, Marvel just reprinted the entire series in a series of hardcovers (or uselessly padded, over-priced single issues if you're so inclined). Definitely worth a read as a series.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

grendeljd wrote:
JCP wrote:Incredible Hulk #340. Hulk jumps into the air and crashes into a plane. The X-Men see this and Wolverine decides to teach Hulk a lesson. What a brutal battle all issue long. Wolvie learns the hard way that the Hulk can regenerate too. McFarlane got me into comics as a kid and this issue was one of the most special growing up.

I also liked a few of the big battles just after McFarlane left & Jeff Purves took over. #348 had an absolutely brutal battle with Crusher Creel, the Absorbing Man. I remember being legitimately disturbed by the way that fight ended, I thought Creel was dead for sure. Peter David wrote the grey hulk as such a dark incarnation at the time.

Also loved the fight with The Thing in #350, where he outsmarted Ben to tire him out before delivering the knockout blow.

And I forget which issue it was specifically, but shortly after that he fought the Abomination and defeated him by melting his head with acid?! So crazy dark!
All great choices, especially 340 - superb book.

Some other all time Hulk greats are of course 181 w/Wendigo! and 300 with a massive throw down but if I had to choose one that left a OMG feeling on my psyche I'd go with....

Incredible Hulk 24 and 25 (vol 2):
Banner gets revenge on Abomination for killing Betty in an absolute brutal brawl that includes Hulk punching out an eye -
at story's end Banner subjects the maimed and captive Abomination to a video feed on continuous loop meant to inflict much mental anguish on the former Mr. Blonsky.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

hulk181man wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Some other all time Hulk greats are of course 181 w/Wendigo! and 300 with a massive throw down but if I had to choose one that left a OMG feeling on my psyche I'd go with....

Banner gets revenge on Abomination for killing Betty in an absolute brutal brawl that includes Hulk punching out an eye -
at story's end Banner subjects the maimed and captive Abomination to a video feed on continuous loop meant to inflict much mental anguish on the former Mr. Blonsky.
Oooooh, good call! Man, I haven't gone back to re-read any of the volume 2 issues in years... Overall that was a really fantastic run, right up until they sh!t the bed & changed it into the Incredible Hercules. I might have to plan on a re-read sometime soon :)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

grendeljd wrote:
hulk181man wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Oooooh, good call! Man, I haven't gone back to re-read any of the volume 2 issues in years... Overall that was a really fantastic run, right up until they sh!t the bed & changed it into the Incredible Hercules. I might have to plan on a re-read sometime soon :)
Agreed...Vol 2 was strong throughout right up thru WW Hulk and the end of the run. :thumb: Sadly the Bruce Jones run seems largely forgotten...
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Tim wrote:Have to agree that the MM vs. Kid MM fight was pretty epic.

The main battle in Civil War was incredible. Thanos vs. all the cosmic Marvel beings in Infinity Gauntlet was pretty awesome, too, but my favorite comic book fight ever has to be Superman vs. Doomsday. Superman versus a physically superior foe winning because of his sheer will to save the people and city he loves. :cloud9:
In regards to Superman vs. Doomsday; an "awesome" fight that sticks out to me was when the Justice League attempted to stop Doomsday early on.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

hulk181man wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
hulk181man wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Agreed...Vol 2 was strong throughout right up thru WW Hulk and the end of the run. :thumb: Sadly the Bruce Jones run seems largely forgotten...
I'd rank his run close with Peter David as one of the best runs on Hulk.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Pretty much any fight in the incredibly underprinted and underappreciated Savage Dragon run is an epic of mass destruction. Other than a few arcs here and there, you won't find the emotional impact of a Superman: Doomsday, but Savage Dragon is basically the superhero scale Rocky Balboa or Indiana Jones style slugfests of comics.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Tim wrote:
corey wrote:i also agree with superman/doomsday..but i have not read the miracleman battle
For a while it was difficult to. The rights to reprints of the series being in question lead to the original issues being worth quite a bit. Luckily, Marvel just reprinted the entire series in a series of hardcovers (or uselessly padded, over-priced single issues if you're so inclined). Definitely worth a read as a series.
It's also part of Alan Moore's dark trilogy (along with Watchmen and V For Vendetta) and is in many ways the darkest one. Also according to Kimota! The Miracleman Companion book that TwoMorrows published 10 years ago, when Miracleman and V For Vendetta were being published by Warrior in the UK, the original idea was that V For Vendetta was actually an alternate timeline where Miracleman was not reborn!

They are still connected by the Fate Computer that Miracleman's "father" Garzunga (or whatever his name is) builds and technically still exists in both timelines since Moore never changed that in both strips/books. Well at least that what Alan Moore and Steve Moore (no relation) had planned if Warrior hadn't gone bust.

Plus Miracleman is on the name on a tombstone and IIRC is named dropped as a victim of the Fury in Alan Moore's Captain Britain run.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Tim wrote:my favorite comic book fight ever has to be Superman vs. Doomsday. Superman versus a physically superior foe winning because of his sheer will to save the people and city he loves. :cloud9:
I agree..one of my favorite fights of all time if not the greatest in comics.Those death of superman issues proved Superman was a hero more then any supes comic before or after in my opinion.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Tim wrote:
It's also part of Alan Moore's dark trilogy (along with Watchmen and V For Vendetta) and is in many ways the darkest one. Also according to Kimota! The Miracleman Companion book that TwoMorrows published 10 years ago, when Miracleman and V For Vendetta were being published by Warrior in the UK, the original idea was that V For Vendetta was actually an alternate timeline where Miracleman was not reborn!

They are still connected by the Fate Computer that Miracleman's "father" Garzunga (or whatever his name is) builds and technically still exists in both timelines since Moore never changed that in both strips/books. Well at least that what Alan Moore and Steve Moore (no relation) had planned if Warrior hadn't gone bust.

Plus Miracleman is on the name on a tombstone and IIRC is named dropped as a victim of the Fury in Alan Moore's Captain Britain run.

I never about this connection, awesome!

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The fight over who will win the savage #1 1/50 variant
I Miss the good old days.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Tim wrote:

I never about this connection, awesome!

If you can find a copy I highly recommend Kimota! The Miracleman Companion. It's a valuable resource for Miracleman and why the character and book matters so much. It's out of date on the whole who owns the copyright, it ends with the copyright battle between Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane (which even the writers and/or editors admitted even they weren't 100% sure on the 33.3% Gaiman owned and 66.6% that McFarlane claimed) but it also has a complete history of the character, interviews with just about everyone involved on the book including: Mick Anglo, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Alan Davies, Chuck Austin, Mark Buckingham, the editors at Warrior and Eclipse, hell there is even an interview with BWS (who just did the covers to the last 2 issues of Gaiman's run), it has a checklist of the Warrior and Eclipse run (that is now of out of date due to the Marvel owning it), tons of artwork from the series, Alan Moore's original pitch and script from the first story from Warrior #1, there are a few pages of artwork from the still unpublished Miracleman #25 and some material from Miracleman Triumphant! which I think was going to be a second anthology-type mini-series that Eclipse was planning to do. As well a bunch of promotional art, sketches, full color cover galley of both Warrior and Eclipse issues and TPBs, and the Warrior Universe timeline that I mentioned above. It as a cover by Mark Buckingham that is an homage to the first appearance of the original Captain Marvel from Fawcett and a Miraclewoman back cover painting by Alex Ross, (who I THINK also writes the introduction to the book).

It MIGHT be out of print, but I'm not sure. It's from TwoMorrows Publishing and I know they're still around so you could do a Google search for them and see if they're still selling it (and if it's still in print) or you can search Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, or eBay.

If you want to know what the big deal is with Miracleman then this is the book for you. It was the reason why I bought the original Eclipse TPBs and the 3 part Miracleman Apocrypha mini-series and some of the early single issues and all of the Marvel reprint issues and HCs.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

It would have to be a fight from Invincible. Maybe vs Conquest. Or Angstrom Levy. Or Thrag vs Battle Beastt.
ASM Crossover Home

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

400yrs wrote:It would have to be a fight from Invincible. Maybe vs Conquest. Or Angstrom Levy. Or Thrag vs Battle Beastt.
some of those are brutal...especially the aftermath of them.
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

myron wrote:
400yrs wrote:It would have to be a fight from Invincible. Maybe vs Conquest. Or Angstrom Levy. Or Thrag vs Battle Beastt.
some of those are brutal...especially the aftermath of them.
Hell yeah, good call - even the fight with his father early on was pretty amazing.

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

greg wrote:I doubt if these are "most awesome" in all of comic books ever, but there are several in Invincible that are shocking, particularly Thragg vs. Battle Beast.
Invincible fights are freaking visually amazing. Yes, I've seen great fights before, but none has done such brutality and overall destruction so well. Pretty much any fight between viltrumites or someone at their level is amazing.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Lone Wolf & Cub deserves a mention, even if its not "comicbooks" as in "western comics".

Ogami Itto vs Yagyu Retsudo final confontation. Almost 200 pages, and when I read it the first time I had no idea what would be the outcome. Its absolutely the best fight from this series, and that says a TON because one thing LW&C has going for it is the amazing fights on every volume.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

If I haven't said it before, Wolverine v/s Silver Samurai in UXM #173.

An honorable mention right off the top of my head - Doomsday v/s everyone in the DC universe (just about). He laid waste to so many people before Supes put him down (sorta).

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

nonplayer wrote:I got upped for a comic when I was like 8.
Wait, what does this even mean???

:o

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I also really liked Rai v.s Erica Pierce. It wasn't really much of a battle, but it always had me wondering, why was she so scared of the way Rai could move energy? He seemed like not too much of a threat, and AFAIK, it was never really explained further, so... that's why it was one of my fave VALIANT battles.

-slym

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

VEI Harbinger #4-5, Pete vs Hidden Moon without his powers after he discovers Harada murdered his best friend. He beats him to death (?) with a pipe. Then he heads for Harada and gets his *SQUEE* handed to him. Faith flys in and saves him at the last second. Brutal all around.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t