Fan Project for Dinesh?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: Fan Project for Dinesh?

Post by nonplayer »

This project should get figured out and green lighted asap.
I Miss the good old days.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

FormerReader wrote:
magnusr wrote:
greg wrote:Sure - the simplest would be grabbing some paper and writing him a thank you - compiling them into a bound book. From that basic idea, surely we could get more creative.
That's the way to go.

Anyone willing to receive the thank you notes?

/Magnus
If this is idea we all agree on I would be happy to be responsible for collecting all the letters and getting them bound.
I'm good with that. Thanks for volunteering! :thumb:

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

greg wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
magnusr wrote:
greg wrote:Sure - the simplest would be grabbing some paper and writing him a thank you - compiling them into a bound book. From that basic idea, surely we could get more creative.
That's the way to go.

/Magnus
If this is idea we all agree on I would be happy to be responsible for collecting all the letters and getting them bound.
It's my pleasure. I could use some guidance. Do we need to get a list of people interested? A specific type and size of paper? Is there a proper place to professionally bind papers. What about the idea of having a commission of his favorite character by his favorite artist? How would we incorporate this. Sorry for all the questions, I am excited to get to work, but this is outside my swim lane so I could use some guidance.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

greg wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
magnusr wrote:
That's the way to go.

/Magnus
It's my pleasure. I could use some guidance. Do we need to get a list of people interested? A specific type and size of paper? Is there a proper place to professionally bind papers. What about the idea of having a commission of his favorite character by his favorite artist? How would we incorporate this. Sorry for all the questions, I am excited to get to work, but this is outside my swim lane so I could use some guidance.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

nonplayer wrote:
The kids at schools would do this for me after my arachnolagy work shops.

May I sugest we do it on different covers of our favorite extra issue. Easy to bound and it would be comic sized when completed.

Thoughts??

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Fan Project for Dinesh?

Post by possumgrease »

What do you mean exactly? “Do it on different covers”? Not opposed, just don’t understand.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

possumgrease wrote:What do you mean exactly? “Do it on different covers”? Not opposed, just don’t understand.
Take a favorite cover each of us likes wright a message inside to nerd boss mail that to someone to get bound. It would be a comic from the fans written on their favorit covers. Preferably with a original art work cover.

We could do regular paper but I thought he might like to see the fans pic of best covers. Maybe photocopys.
Im just Tossing ideas around.
But I do think we should get this on the go asap. Nothing worse than a super late thank you card or good bye card.

THEWGZK
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

What if we got a regular 8.5x11 heavy stock paper and wrote our message on one side of the paper and attached our favorite cover on the other side?

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

THEWGZK wrote:What if we got a regular 8.5x11 heavy stock paper and wrote our message on one side of the paper and attached our favorite cover on the other side?
The cover idea is cool, but I don't know how we attach them so they look professional. What about we just stick to the hand written or printed 8.5 x 11 and then have them bound and do a cover as a dust jacket? I am open to ideas I just need some direction as to how we execute them as well. I also want to get as much participation as we can so everyone who wants is part of it.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

possumgrease wrote:I think I read where X-O #6 was Dinesh's first valiant comic. Maybe we could get Bob Layton to do a tribute cover with DMG knocking Dinesh out the building? (Or flip who is punching whom, but I think the hero getting punched is very appropriate in this case.)

+1!
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

BigRedSofa
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Batman
Favorite title: Batman
Favorite writer: Batman
Favorite artist: Batman

Post by BigRedSofa »

We could commission a cover and have all of the pages signed by fans in the inside. This would allow people to write what they want to say without being worried about taking up too much space.
I'm pumped about doing something for him !!!
However i'm not sure about how the latter is supposed to go down. Surely we're not going to send it all over the place until it's signed by all the participants.. So, I'm only wondering.. How ?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

BigRedSofa wrote:
We could commission a cover and have all of the pages signed by fans in the inside. This would allow people to write what they want to say without being worried about taking up too much space.
I'm pumped about doing something for him !!!
However i'm not sure about how the latter is supposed to go down. Surely we're not going to send it all over the place until it's signed by all the participants.. So, I'm only wondering.. How ?
No each perso is to provide their own cover or paper and mail it in to one person for binding. Then that person sends it to dinesh from all of us

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

I see Dinesh pretty regularly, but I do not think we need this bound thing or anything of the sort. I think it's a lot more simple. write your thoughts and best wishes, put them in an envelope, and send them to me, and I will give them to him. I think he would love to hear from you and it's not about the presentation and packaging, it's about your genuine support. He could really use some words of thanks and encouragement.

If you all decide that's the way to go I will post the address and care of, so that they could be easily marked and not opened by my employees.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Simple enough, I'm good with that. Also happy to participate in whatever else folks wanna do.

onearmedwampa3000
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Favorite artist: Mico Suyan

Post by onearmedwampa3000 »

lorddunlow wrote:
possumgrease wrote:I think I read where X-O #6 was Dinesh's first valiant comic. Maybe we could get Bob Layton to do a tribute cover with DMG knocking Dinesh out the building? (Or flip who is punching whom, but I think the hero getting punched is very appropriate in this case.)

That's a really good idea. I bet Bob would like that, considering his conflicting thoughts about the whole VEI thing to begin with.
Awesome idea.

onearmedwampa3000
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Favorite artist: Mico Suyan

Post by onearmedwampa3000 »

greg wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
magnusr wrote:
That's the way to go.

/Magnus
Hey Greg and folks. I'm the guy that made these figures. The Divinity and Savage were commissions for Dinesh. I've been reading Valiant since 1992, and what Dinesh did for myself and everyone else here means more than words can express. So, I'm an artist. I would love to volunteer my art to make Dinesh something. Another figure would be my pleasure, and a very small gesture on my part. I still can't wrap my head around him not being a part of valiant, but we need to carry on for him. Anyway, maybe you guys could message me your thoughts on what character(s) you think he'd like and I can tally up the votes. I know when Dinesh and I were planning the Savage figure Britannia's Antonius Axia and Bloodshot 4001 were also on the list. But I'm good with anything. We can add the figure to whatever else we end up doing, which I would also very much like to be a part of.

AC

#NerdBoss4Life

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

paradise wrote:I see Dinesh pretty regularly, but I do not think we need this bound thing or anything of the sort. I think it's a lot more simple. write your thoughts and best wishes, put them in an envelope, and send them to me, and I will give them to him. I think he would love to hear from you and it's not about the presentation and packaging, it's about your genuine support. He could really use some words of thanks and encouragement.

If you all decide that's the way to go I will post the address and care of, so that they could be easily marked and not opened by my employees.
At the very least, I'd like to do this.

But some of these other ideas are great too. And those action figures..... Onearmedwampa3000--you are awesome.

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

onearmedwampa3000 wrote:
greg wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
magnusr wrote:
That's the way to go.

/Magnus
Hey Greg and folks. I'm the guy that made these figures. The Divinity and Savage were commissions for Dinesh. I've been reading Valiant since 1992, and what Dinesh did for myself and everyone else here means more than words can express. So, I'm an artist. I would love to volunteer my art to make Dinesh something. Another figure would be my pleasure, and a very small gesture on my part. I still can't wrap my head around him not being a part of valiant, but we need to carry on for him. Anyway, maybe you guys could message me your thoughts on what character(s) you think he'd like and I can tally up the votes. I know when Dinesh and I were planning the Savage figure Britannia's Antonius Axia and Bloodshot 4001 were also on the list. But I'm good with anything. We can add the figure to whatever else we end up doing, which I would also very much like to be a part of.

AC

#NerdBoss4Life

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Those are the bomb diggity son !

I'll keep an eye o open to see what the final plan is here for this project

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

paradise wrote:I see Dinesh pretty regularly, but I do not think we need this bound thing or anything of the sort. I think it's a lot more simple. write your thoughts and best wishes, put them in an envelope, and send them to me, and I will give them to him. I think he would love to hear from you and it's not about the presentation and packaging, it's about your genuine support. He could really use some words of thanks and encouragement.

I'm happy to go this route as well if that is what works best for everyone. I am happy with whatever the group wants to do.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

FormerReader wrote:

I'm happy to go this route as well if that is what works best for everyone. I am happy with whatever the group wants to do.
I thought it would be neeter to present him with something special as a keep sake like he has done for us over the years.
If wer are just going to mail him letters I think I will just messanger him as he's a friend of mine on face book. But I will do what ever the consenses is.

I guess it comes down to how much effort we wanna put into this.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

nonplayer wrote:
FormerReader wrote:

I thought it would be neeter to present him with something special as a keep sake like he has done for us over the years.
If wer are just going to mail him letters I think I will just messanger him as he's a friend of mine on face book. But I will do what ever the consenses is.

I guess it comes down to how much effort we wanna put into this.
I would preferr the effort of something special.

BigRedSofa
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Batman
Favorite title: Batman
Favorite writer: Batman
Favorite artist: Batman

Post by BigRedSofa »

I'm all about doing something special for him as well. And there's no stopping anyone here from writing him kind words along with whatever we end up choosing to do !!
It doesn't even cost a dime and it's purely from the heart, something very refreshing for someone going through hard times.

I'm not saying this is what we have to do but, i'll put my thought into context.

Forget the commissions, the issues, the statues (which were simply stunning :o by the way) and all the material stuff for one moment...

If we were all to write him kind words, even only by email, and all send it to him at the same time..?!
Just imagine being in his shoes right now ?! *Your cell phone starts to freak the F-out under the weight of all those emails notifications*,
Opening your inbox and seeing a *SQUEE* ton of messages from friends and fans. Reminding you that they're here for you and that what you did for Valiant was awesome and all that good stuff !

I mean... It is a BIG-*SQUEE* WAVE of kindness hitting you right in the face ! I don't even know him on the personal level not even the slightest bit !
But.. No one can stay undifferent when that much love is thrown at you. Once again, this example is simply to point out that in the end, it's really moral support that counts. I'm still down and excited for whatever it is we choose but know this... It is only the logical thing to do to take time to compose something nice to say (and that you also mean obviously) to him. Like I said, unlike many here, I never met the guy and don't know him personnaly. But what I do know is that I am able to come up with something that'll make his heart smile a bit.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

BigRedSofa wrote:...in the end, it's really moral support that counts.
I think that right now, this is absolutely true, and that maybe a two-stage plan is the way to go:

1) Get some immediate thoughts and wishes out to Dinesh (so probably go with Paradise's idea?)
2) Follow this up with something a bit more special, like the bound book, a set of Wampa's figures, or whatever...

I mean, at the end of the day there's nothing stopping anyone from getting whatever kind of token of appreciation to Dinesh at any point in the future so we can all partake in individual efforts as and when, but the idea of putting something together as a community is a nice way to make a larger sign of collective appreciation, so I'd like to see something happen whatever it is, and I'm 100% in with it :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Shadowman99 wrote:
BigRedSofa wrote:...in the end, it's really moral support that counts.
I think that right now, this is absolutely true, and that maybe a two-stage plan is the way to go:

1) Get some immediate thoughts and wishes out to Dinesh (so probably go with Paradise's idea?)
2) Follow this up with something a bit more special, like the bound book, a set of Wampa's figures, or whatever...

I mean, at the end of the day there's nothing stopping anyone from getting whatever kind of token of appreciation to Dinesh at any point in the future so we can all partake in individual efforts as and when, but the idea of putting something together as a community is a nice way to make a larger sign of collective appreciation, so I'd like to see something happen whatever it is, and I'm 100% in with it :thumb:
Well said mr shadow99
Ed can you lay down your addy then we can get that stuff mailed out asap.

paradise
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

I can dig that two pronged approach. Dinesh needs to hear from you NOW.

C/O Dinesh
Collector's Paradise
7131 Winnetka Ave
Winnetka CA 91306
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net