Will we ever get the official scoop on who VIP was/were?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

The Harbinger wrote:
TKWill wrote:Words, words, words......

This thread needs some pictures or illustrations to describe what is being said. If I keep clicking on this thread I am going to have to check into a rehab clinic to get my scroll finger fixed. Anyone have the Cliff's Notes on this one yet? :?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Cliff notes version IMO, but I haven't really read all of it
:lol: :hm:

Oh, and Priest is an unofficial source
That explains it all, thanks for the update Harbinger. :thumb: :lol:

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
The Harbinger wrote:Oh, and Priest is an unofficial source
Wouldn't make him any less credible if he decided to identify the people who approached him.
priest and bright don't seem to be too interested in discussing this at all so i think it's just a totally dead subject, for now anyway.

vip lost and vei won...that's enough for me.

i don't like the way df smells in all this and i've made a personal decision to avoid every product they produce from now on.

does me not sharing my money with them really have an impact? nah...but i feel it's the right thing to do regardless.

eventually the whole story will come out, count on it...until then i'm satisfied knowing that vip did what they were destined to do from the very beginning...fail miserably.

all that's left now is to point and laugh...
WWSLJD, MF?

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Well said dude,

me and the guys wont touch their crap and spent many a good evening slating those tossers way before this emerged so a final nail i say.

Good riddance to old rubbish

:thumb: :thumb:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Wouldn't make him any less credible if he decided to identify the people who approached him.
NO ONE has questioned Priest's credibility. I think we ALL agree that Chris Priest, aka James Owsley, having been in the industry for well over 20 years, is a perfectly credible source....

He's just not an OFFICIAL source.

cinlach@aol.com
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
NO ONE has questioned Priest's credibility. I think we ALL agree that Chris Priest, aka James Owsley, having been in the industry for well over 20 years, is a perfectly credible source....

He's just not an OFFICIAL source.
he is however officially credible.
WWSLJD, MF?

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

The Harbinger wrote:<image snipped>
Cliff notes version IMO, but I haven't really read all of it
That's uncalled for. Geomancer is a great asset to these boards. He's articulate and STFU, NOOB just further supports his stated perception that there's a hierarchy on these boards. Why shut down a smart, well-intentioned member with such unthinking drivel. Yes, I know that it was an attempt at humor, but it failed.

Geomancer: you've demonstrated that you can run with the big dogs, can take a punch and get back up, swinging, and certainly don't need anyone to defend you. I'm sorry you have to deal with this cr@p that's all-too-common on message boards everywhere else. This one is different, most of the time, I've discovered.

BoH

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

In hindsight I understand what BOH is saying. While it was a harsh summation of the ongoing dialogue I did find it humorous. I am of the thick-skinned crowd and grew up with constant teasing from family and friends. The thought amongst my friends was that if I take the time out of my day to "pop" on you then you can consider yourself a friend. Most people never really understood it and anything you ever did in the presence of any other friend was fair game. While Harbinger was short and to the point I didn't take it as a personal attack and I have only rarely seen anyone make a personal attack against anybody. I don't think that Harbinger was making a direct attack toward n00bness, I think it was more of a friendly poke. More than half of those that do post regularly are considered n00bs, me among them.

BloodOfHeroes
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

I was called a noob just this week. :thumb:

And I don't think Harbinger was attcking Geomancer, directly, but anti-noobiness sux.

It's not moving another man's mustard. It's not the "old timer's" house; it's a commune (granted, one with a self-professed tyrant of a homeowner) and newcomers should have just as much say in condiment placement, provided they're not delusional (or about to poison the whole house by keeping the mayo on the windowsill).

I agree with ZWH--# of posts matters not a whit to me. It's the quality of each post that should stand (or not) on its own merits. If we truly want VALIANT to return to its glory days, these boards'll have a lot of newcomers. "STFU" is hardly the friendly neighborhood welcome wagon approach.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:I was called a noob just this week. :thumb:

And I don't think Harbinger was attcking Geomancer, directly, but anti-noobiness sux.

It's not moving another man's mustard. It's not the "old timer's" house; it's a commune (granted, one with a self-professed tyrant of a homeowner) and newcomers should have just as much say in condiment placement, provided they're not delusional (or about to poison the whole house by keeping the mayo on the windowsill).

I agree with ZWH--# of posts matters not a whit to me. It's the quality of each post that should stand (or not) on its own merits. If we truly want VALIANT to return to its glory days, these boards'll have a lot of newcomers. "STFU" is hardly the friendly neighborhood welcome wagon approach.

I didn't take the picture as to mean the poster who posted it was telling Geomancer to STFU, but it was a commentary on the back and forth present in this thread. Some of the posts in this thread aimed at Geomancer come off as basically telling him to "STFU" because of his "Noob-ness", whether that was the intention or not. I thought it was a pretty clever way of summarizing many of the off-topic posts in this thread. Just my :twocents:

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
The Harbinger wrote:<image>
That's uncalled for. Geomancer is a great asset to these boards. He's articulate and STFU, NOOB just further supports his stated perception that there's a hierarchy on these boards. Why shut down a smart, well-intentioned member with such unthinking drivel. Yes, I know that it was an attempt at humor, but it failed.

Geomancer: you've demonstrated that you can run with the big dogs, can take a punch and get back up, swinging, and certainly don't need anyone to defend you. I'm sorry you have to deal with this cr@p that's all-too-common on message boards everywhere else. This one is different, most of the time, I've discovered.

BoH
Hey thanks, I appreciate it.

I've made errors and been unclear on some things and its a good thing to have them pointed out. There are some differences of opinion here and hope most see that I am expressing mine.

I don't mind noob comments. I think the term itself is funny. I find that people making noob references are either joking or have an unhealthy relationship between their post count and self esteem.

One mistake I will not repeat is to be too quick to determine the comment comes from one motive or another. In time I will come to appreciate those doing so in good spirited humor, and put the hammer down on those with other motivations.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:I was called a noob just this week. :thumb:
The only ones who would do that would be "real" n00bs...

geomancer wrote:One mistake I will not repeat is to be too quick to determine the comment comes from one motive or another. In time I will come to appreciate those doing so in good spirited humor, and put the hammer down on those with other motivations.
that's good advice there...

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

A note on Christopher Priest. I'm not going to lose any sleep over his role or non role in all this.

However, I do like puzzles and it would seem odd if VIP did seek to involve him in a revival of Quantum and Woody and then push a different version in their pamphlet. Not impossible, just odd. There was mention of some new variant in that pamphlet, but I can't comfirm that either. [One glance is all I'll ever give that particular piece of work]

I'm more interested in seeing if he might be a part of the new Valiant, than anything else.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Geomancer wrote:However, I do like puzzles and it would seem odd if VIP did seek to involve him in a revival of Quantum and Woody and then push a different version in their pamphlet. Not impossible, just odd. There was mention of some new variant in that pamphlet, but I can't comfirm that either. [One glance is all I'll ever give that particular piece of work]

But this time Woody is the black dude and Quantum is the white dude :roll:

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

Yeah, I remember that now. Thanks MOTA.

No Chris priest involvement with that, thats for sure.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Geomancer wrote:Yeah, I remember that now. Thanks MOTA.

Now that I think about it, it's karmic.

VIP did to VH 2 characters what VH 2 did to the original VALIANT :lol:

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Geomancer wrote:Yeah, I remember that now. Thanks MOTA.

Now that I think about it, it's karmic.

VIP did to VH 2 characters what VH 2 did to the original VALIANT :lol:
There's nothing to stop them from going ahead with these concepts and renaming them. :D After all, they did want to launch a comic book company right?

It would be funny if versions of these characters were mined for comedic value in future Valiant comics.

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:

BoH

My apologies, it was an attempt at humor, and hopefully geomancer and others understand that. Check out my join date, I'm more of a noob than him, how could I be using the picture with malice? :oops:

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

The Harbinger wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

BoH

My apologies, it was an attempt at humor, and hopefully geomancer and others understand that. Check out my join date, I'm more of a noob than him, how could I be using the picture with malice? :oops:
It was a great picture. But i do appreciate you making sure I knew it was meant in good fun. Thank you.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Geomancer wrote:There's nothing to stop them from going ahead with these concepts and renaming them. :D After all, they did want to launch a comic book company right?
That really depends on the terms of their settlement with VEI.
It would be funny if versions of these characters were mined for comedic value in future Valiant comics.
Not that funny, heh.

Maybe if Priest gets Q&W back and publishes it through Image or someone like that, he can make a story that makes a joke of the whole thing.

After all, the first few pages of Q&W #18 broke the fourth wall and made a joke out of the cancelation.

Priest can do a Q&W series that's all about breaking the fourth wall that tells one big joke about this.

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Geomancer wrote:There's nothing to stop them from going ahead with these concepts and renaming them. :D After all, they did want to launch a comic book company right?
That really depends on the terms of their settlement with VEI.
Not that funny, heh.

Maybe if Priest gets Q&W back and publishes it through Image or someone like that, he can make a story that makes a joke of the whole thing.

After all, the first few pages of Q&W #18 broke the fourth wall and made a joke out of the cancelation.

Priest can do a Q&W series that's all about breaking the fourth wall that tells one big joke about this.
I am trying to write to Priest and see if he will respond. I'm not planning on asking him about VPI, just the possibility of him working in comics, specifically Valiant again.

side note - I did not realize The Prestige was based on his book. Maybe he'd be interested in Doctor Mirage.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Harbinger wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

BoH

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Geomancer wrote:side note - I did not realize The Prestige was based on his book. Maybe he'd be interested in Doctor Mirage.
No, no, no.

That's a completely different Christopher Priest. They just have the same name :lol:

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Geomancer wrote:side note - I did not realize The Prestige was based on his book. Maybe he'd be interested in Doctor Mirage.
No, no, no.

That's a completely different Christopher Priest. They just have the same name :lol:
oops. you're right. I noticed that as I kept surfing.

I do know Priest is working on writing a novel. I suppose if he'd written that one, he'd be focused totally on Hollywood.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Geomancer wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
No, no, no.

oops. you're right. I noticed that as I kept surfing.

I do know Priest is working on writing a novel. I suppose if he'd written that one, he'd be focused totally on Hollywood.
Priest Returns to Comics (Sort Of!) with "Gunplay" Dime Novels
As to a more large-scale return to comics, Priest isn’t saying no, though he’s not optimistic, either. “Never say never, but I doubt I’ll ever be working full-time in comics again,” the writer said. “First, I doubt there’s all that much demand for me—comics are extremely personality-driven, and around the time I bowed out—burnt out, to be more accurate—the deal seemed to be that only guys with TV deals were being actively courted, which made not much sense to me and seemed fairly insulting. With all due respect to the TV writers, comic books are a profession. We’re professionals who worked hard to develop our craft, and many of us are being swept aside because Joe WordProcessor sold a pilot to The CW.

“I’d go to comics shops and just get angry, and I didn’t like feeling that way. Meanwhile, things I felt passionate about—like ‘The Crew’ —weren’t fully appreciated by the higher-ups. ‘Crew’ was developed specifically to penetrate the black and Latino market, but no apparent effort was made to do that. The book was put out to the direct market along with a flood of other material, where it (and many other books) just died, cancelled before issue #1 shipped. Considering the near-year of hell we were put through getting that book on its feet, its cancellation just hurt. I felt like Marvel didn’t even try—this was a book that absolutely could have pried open some doors to a market easily ten times bigger than the direct market.

“’Captin America and the Falcon’ was a godsend in that, at least Marvel had confidence in me to write a major character. It had been years since I’d been allowed to write even a second-tier character. Usually, when my phone rings it’s like, ‘Hey, you wanna write Black Gladiator!?’ After the first year, however, Cap was moved back into the Marvel U (from Marvel Knights), but we weren’t given the slot, and our book suddenly became redundant. Marvel opted to move Cap out and make it ‘The Falcon,’ and, for me, that was a vote of no confidence. I mean, I understood the logic, and I was pleased that Marvel liked my bad-boy take on Falc, but I felt like I was being ordered back to the ghetto.

“I was tired. I was worn out by ‘Crew,’ and disappointed by the evolution with ‘CAF.’ Over at DC, I was being offered all the black characters I wanted to write, but the door to ‘Batman’ remained shut. So I counted on my fingers and said it’s time to do something else. The Green Lantern novel was glorious. It was therapeutic. It absolutely ruined me in a way. I remember calling Paul Kupperberg and saying, ‘Look, Paul, if thus-and-so happens in this book, Superman is bound to stick his nose in it,’ and Paul said, ‘So? Write him in.’ In novels, the usual office politics don’t apply: you’re not bound by what’s going on down the hall this week or this month, and the name game—that personality crap—is nonexistent. I was able to write stories and not worry about all of that. And I just fell in love with it.”

Page from "Gunplay" #1
Priest has taken up a number of ongoing projects since leaving the comics scene. “I am a church pastor. Ministry will always be my first love, and that pursuit has taken up a great deal of my time,” the writer explained. “I’m also the editor of PraiseNet.Org, an online ministry supporting African American churches. I’ve worked on a screenplay for an independent film I can’t talk about because I don’t know where that deal is at, and I am currently prepping ‘Zion,’ for Joe The Agent to shop around (christopherpriest.com/zion).”

Though Priest says there will be no grand return to comics, fans needn’t despair. “I’m rested and actively looking around,” the writer said. “This sounds like so much nonsense, but there’s two projects going on that I can’t talk about because things haven’t been signed, but I expect to be able to mention them soon. Both Marvel and DC have graciously asked me what I’d like to do. I’d like to do Batman. Beyond that, I don’t know, I have to think about it and get back to them. I suspect that, at some point soon, I’ll have a mini or something ongoing set up, but not much more than that. I’m shopping ‘Zion,’ I’m polishing ‘Dual,’ a second novel, I’m involved with my ministry, and I’m not walking into comics shops getting ticked off, which is a good thing.”

Geomancer

Post by Geomancer »

Thanks for the link, MOTA

Thats very recent. I was having a tough time finding an email address on his site anyways.

I suppose at this point I'm just going to have to try and be patient for the announcements regarding editor in chief and creative director.