An observation and some comments...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: An observation and some comments...

Post by BruceReville »

Dr. Solar wrote:
greg wrote:People who loathe CGC usually have a crapload of comics that are under near mint that they THOUGHT were near mint plus.
Ha ha! So true.

That first time you submit a book that you thought was Near Mint, that comes back an 8.0, is a real eye opener.
Never have and never will submit to CGC - too tempted to open it and read it
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

BruceReville wrote:Never have and never will submit to CGC - too tempted to open it and read it
Dude! Just read one of your other five copies ;)

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Dr. Solar wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Never have and never will submit to CGC - too tempted to open it and read it
Dude! Just read one of your other five copies ;)
Not a hoarder :P
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Aram wrote:
greg wrote:
BruceReville wrote:The problems with the 1:50 covers might be the only time I consider buying CGC just to make sure I have a NM copy --- though I loathe CGC
People who loathe CGC usually have a crapload of comics that are under near mint that they THOUGHT were near mint plus.

Just sayin'. :kidaround:
I loathe them from hearing about shady stories of grading preferentially for dealers and ultimately for the mere fact that they changed to new crappy wells for the holders that can cause damage to comics during shipping.

If they hadn't changed the encapsulation method and had in fact inproved it, then I'd have faith in them still for mere preservation and protection.
You've been misinformed somewhere along the way about problems with the CGC holders.

Problems occur with BOTH holders if the book is slabbed incorrectly. The problem, per se, is with the person running the machine, not the holders themselves.

Problems occur with the old wells if the book is not secured and can move around in the inner well. There are inserts they use in the well to get this to happen sometimes, and sometimes these efforts fail.

Problems occur with the new holder if the seals are formed before the book is tightly held between the mylars sheets, or the seals are the wrong distance from the book. If the book is too loosely held by the inner well, the cover will hold tight to the well but the interior of the book can move around, causing problems.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

ckb wrote:
Aram wrote:
greg wrote:
BruceReville wrote:The problems with the 1:50 covers might be the only time I consider buying CGC just to make sure I have a NM copy --- though I loathe CGC
People who loathe CGC usually have a crapload of comics that are under near mint that they THOUGHT were near mint plus.

Just sayin'. :kidaround:
I loathe them from hearing about shady stories of grading preferentially for dealers and ultimately for the mere fact that they changed to new crappy wells for the holders that can cause damage to comics during shipping.

If they hadn't changed the encapsulation method and had in fact inproved it, then I'd have faith in them still for mere preservation and protection.
You've been misinformed somewhere along the way about problems with the CGC holders.

Problems occur with BOTH holders if the book is slabbed incorrectly. The problem, per se, is with the person running the machine, not the holders themselves.

Problems occur with the old wells if the book is not secured and can move around in the inner well. There are inserts they use in the well to get this to happen sometimes, and sometimes these efforts fail.

Problems occur with the new holder if the seals are formed before the book is tightly held between the mylars sheets, or the seals are the wrong distance from the book. If the book is too loosely held by the inner well, the cover will hold tight to the well but the interior of the book can move around, causing problems.
Not misinformed. Personal experience. Now granted maybe I was just unlucky, but;

I owned 11 CGCs with only 2 of the new well type. Both new inner well types had the issue with the inner pages sliding around slightly. Only one of the older type slightly had that issue and it was extremely minor compared to the 2 new wells.

Personally I was planning on submitting many of my comics to cgc even though they'd never be worth much at 8.0's to 9.0's just so they would be super secure, preserved and protected, that is until I saw the new inner wells. Even with a super tight fit, the new inner wells "Could" be susceptible to damage and separation of the inner pages much more easily than the old during a hard impact during shipping. That was enough to turn me off cgc for the moment. Personally I will go for Mylars unless things change in the near future.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.