Dead Drop #4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one
Re: Dead Drop #4

Post by Captain Craig »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Post Deleted.
I wish we could delete Dead Drop from existence.
Worst VEI mini to date. Subjectively, Objectively, Creatively and I'd wager financially.

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

jmatt wrote:
KXXX wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:I would read a comic starring Beta-Max.
+1
+1

His issue here in DD helped, but he was always a sympathetic and likable character. He'd be great as an ongoing sidekick to QW, maybe as their personal assistant or something.
I'd for sure pick up a one shot first.
Then perhaps a mini-series.
The character has potential.
He's probably the best thing to come out of Q&W followed by Det.Cujudo.

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

Captain Craig wrote:
jmatt wrote:
KXXX wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:I would read a comic starring Beta-Max.
+1
+1

His issue here in DD helped, but he was always a sympathetic and likable character. He'd be great as an ongoing sidekick to QW, maybe as their personal assistant or something.
I'd for sure pick up a one shot first.
Then perhaps a mini-series.
The character has potential.
He's probably the best thing to come out of Q&W followed by Det.Cujudo.
I could see him and detective Cejudo being in a detective, street crime series. He is the naive newcomer with good intentions, trying to prove himself to the higher ups. Cejudo is the somewhat bitter, serious vetran who is his mentor. Then add some characters to the rooster and you could have a decent or good detective series.
I don't see Beta-Max being a good enough character for his own series and I don't see him being part of a super hero team the way he is now. But street level crime would be up his alley. Atleast he could take pictures with the camera he now has and assist detective Cejudo.

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

Captain Craig wrote:
Worst VEI mini to date. Subjectively, Objectively, Creatively and I'd wager financially.
I think Days of Steel is worse, this had pretty good art and the Betamax issue was actually ok.

I like Cary Nord but his art looked awful in DOS.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

The lowest point of VEI's stunning run so far. But hey, I may be in the minority...
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ChiptheRipper
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Divinity/X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Paolo Rivera

Post by ChiptheRipper »

ShadowTuga wrote:The lowest point of VEI's stunning run so far. But hey, I may be in the minority...
If this thread is anything to go by, I'd say most people consider DD to be near the bottom of the barrel compared to what Valiant usually puts out.

It wasn't great, but hey, I'd rather Valiant make some bad decisions in a miniseries that won't have a major impact on the universe than see some mis-steps in a major title. This is how a company expands, they try out new things and they don't always work, but at least now they know it doesn't work. And in this case, by 'it' I mean Kot :lol:
I was abandoned... on a doorstep.. in a basket. In 1945.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

ChiptheRipper wrote:This is how a company expands, they try out new things and they don't always work, but at least now they know it doesn't work. And in this case, by 'it' I mean Kot :lol:
Prepare yourself... :o

Kot will learn about the Valiant Universe, he will grow, and possibly do MUCH better when the time is right.

I (personally) do not believe that Dead Drop was the best he can do; or even close.

Now, before you go grab your torches and pitchforks to run me out of town while chanting "Hypocrite!!!!! We don't believe you!!!!" understand that what I am suggesting is that he may have something special to offer the Valiant Universe that we cannot foresee or predict right now, and (like many good writers who missed the mark at some point) might need a second chance from this unruly angry crowd that is us.

Make no mistake; I wrote an extensive and scathing review on this book, and which might as well have been call a angry fan-boy rant! But looking at the larger picture (beyond Dead Drop...) Kot might simply need the "right" book to work his magic :hope:
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:37:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
ChiptheRipper wrote:This is how a company expands, they try out new things and they don't always work, but at least now they know it doesn't work. And in this case, by 'it' I mean Kot :lol:

Kot will learn about the Valiant Universe, he will grow, and possibly do MUCH better when the time is right.

I (personally) do not believe that Dead Drop was the best he can do; or even close.

Now, before you go grab your torches and pitchforks to run me out of town while changing "Hypocrite!!!!! We don't believe you!!!!" understand that what I am suggesting is that he may have something special to offer the Valiant Universe that we cannot foresee or predict right now, and (like many good writers who missed the mark at some point) might need a second chance from this unruly angry crowd that is us.

Make no mistake; I wrote an extensive and scathing review on this book, and which might as well have been call a angry fan-boy rant! But looking at the larger picture (beyond Dead Drop...) Kot might simply need the "right" book to work his magic :hope:
Damn your logical thought, sir!!!!! :!:

He should have learned (research work?) about the characters he wrote and he should have planned a plot that actually made sense in this universe. He gets a second chance, that stuff better be "Harbinger good". :P

But I commend your open-mind, sir. I simply can't do it right now, I read this POC (final issue) just last night.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

Well, got around to reading it.

This whole thing just sucked.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

DirtbagSailor wrote:

Now, before you go grab your torches and pitchforks to run me out of town while changing "Hypocrite!!!!! We don't believe you!!!!" understand that what I am suggesting is that he may have something special to offer the Valiant Universe that we cannot foresee or predict right now, and (like many good writers who missed the mark at some point) might need a second chance from this unruly angry crowd that is us.

I liked his Shadowman story a while back.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Brapbrap
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

DirtbagSailor wrote:

Now, before you go grab your torches and pitchforks to run me out of town while chanting "Hypocrite!!!!! We don't believe you!!!!" understand that what I am suggesting is that he may have something special to offer the Valiant Universe that we cannot foresee or predict right now, and (like many good writers who missed the mark at some point) might need a second chance from this unruly angry crowd that is us.

i dont think he is going to be writing for valiant anymore honestly, he doesn't seem very proud of dead drop. he didn't even tell people to buy it on his blog which he does for his other works. Maybe far off in the future but I just don't see it happening in the next couple of years.

Thomas
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

Brapbrap wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

i dont think he is going to be writing for valiant anymore honestly, he doesn't seem very proud of dead drop. he didn't even tell people to buy it on his blog which he does for his other works. Maybe far off in the future but I just don't see it happening in the next couple of years.

He mentioned it on his twitter though.
https://twitter.com/ales_kot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't know how to correctly post stuff from twitter.
Ales Kot ‏@ales_kot 26. Aug.
Big thanks to @ValiantComics for giving us an open space to play in -- Dead Drop was an unusual experiment, and I like how it worked out.
Dead Drop #4 comes out today. A woman saves everyone. This is my contribution to superhero comics.

CongoBill
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Livewire
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CongoBill »

DirtbagSailor wrote:

Well said! I am certainly open to seeing Ales Kot do more work for Valiant, but I agree they need to carefully pick something that is suitable to his strengths as a writer. And they should do a better job making sure the work better fits the characters and VEI continuity.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Thomas wrote:
Dead Drop #4 comes out today. A woman saves everyone. This is my contribution to superhero comics.
See, when you gotta point it out like that, then you're just patting yourself on the back. I suppose this means that if I disagree with X-O and Archer being incompetent and in need of saving (for story/character continuity reasons), then this automatically makes me a male chauvinist pig who hates women! :mad:

Now it all makes sense. The whole point of everything in this series was JUST so Cejudo could run in and save the day at the end. THAT is why nothing made sense, because they had to twist it all to heck in order to come up with that particular ending. The story didn't come first, it was in service to the writer wanting to 'make a contribution', and of course, to be seen doing so (even if that means pointing it out to every one on Twitter himself). Because, otherwise, what was the point? If you don't get to push your particular social cause and get the brownie points for doing it, then why bother writing a comic book story?! Oh... yeah. For the readers and subscribers who pay out their money for a GOOD story about GREAT characters in a shared universe where things are connected and continuity of characters and events MATTER.

Sadly, I bought all 4 of these issues even after seeing the train wreck of issue #1. Next time VEI starts putting out something this nonsensical and off-putting, I'm voting with my wallet and not continuing past the first issue. I can always come here to read peoples thoughts on a book and decide later if I was maybe wrong. I can always pick up any missed issues later if I change me mind.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Brapbrap wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
I think Days of Steel is worse, this had pretty good art and the Betamax issue was actually ok.

I like Cary Nord but his art looked awful in DOS.
What? Those painting like splash pages of battle scenes looks awful? Geez.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

erwinrafael
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Awful!

ChiptheRipper

Post by ChiptheRipper »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
See, when you gotta point it out like that, then you're just patting yourself on the back. I suppose this means that if I disagree with X-O and Archer being incompetent and in need of saving (for story/character continuity reasons), then this automatically makes me a male chauvinist pig who hates women! :mad:

Now it all makes sense. The whole point of everything in this series was JUST so Cejudo could run in and save the day at the end. THAT is why nothing made sense, because they had to twist it all to heck in order to come up with that particular ending. The story didn't come first, it was in service to the writer wanting to 'make a contribution', and of course, to be seen doing so (even if that means pointing it out to every one on Twitter himself). Because, otherwise, what was the point? If you don't get to push your particular social cause and get the brownie points for doing it, then why bother writing a comic book story?! Oh... yeah. For the readers and subscribers who pay out their money for a GOOD story about GREAT characters in a shared universe where things are connected and continuity of characters and events MATTER.

Sadly, I bought all 4 of these issues even after seeing the train wreck of issue #1. Next time VEI starts putting out something this nonsensical and off-putting, I'm voting with my wallet and not continuing past the first issue. I can always come here to read peoples thoughts on a book and decide later if I was maybe wrong. I can always pick up any missed issues later if I change me mind.
Yeah, I rolled my eyes hard at that tweet. This is my main problem with him, he's part of a new group of writers that could care less about comics, it's all about pushing his politics in any way he can. Screw the characters, screw the story, it's all about getting his opinions out in the open so he can brag on twitter about how progressive and tolerant he is. Not that there's anything wrong with being progressive, but its not like the leader of Valiant's main team is a black woman or anything, thank god he brought a female into the spotlight for all us ignorant comic book nerds!!! facepalm

Tony_H
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

The fact that he's a male bragging about using a female as a means to accomplish his ends dims the glow of his enlightenment a bit. How old is that guy? 12?

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

That tweet says to me "I don't give a damn about Valiant, their characters or this stupid genre of people-in-tights".
But hey, I may be in the minority.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ChiptheRipper

Post by ChiptheRipper »

Just a fair warning... :rant: ahead

So his name seemed familiar to me, so I did a little Googling and WOW I JUST REMEMBERED WHERE I'VE HEARD OF HIM. This is the guy who attacks other comic industry people on Twitter all the time and then doesn't back it up with evidence! He also claimed there was a "serial abuser" in the industry and he was going to name him, but then chickened out (once again, most people assume he backed out because he had no real proof). Apparently he's an infamous Twitter hypocrite, talking about how he would never sell out and work for Marvel, how every cape comic is offensive in some way, ect. Keep in mind I had nothing against the guy beyond his bad writing on DD and that condescending tweet about women, and this was all found in about 15 minutes using some basic Googling.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me this guy has gone from 'unlikeable hipster know-it-all' to 'drama generating liability for any company he's involved with', which is a dangerous thing for a smaller company like Valiant. Imagine if he gets the internet hate mob directed towards Valiant :o ? I say ship him on his way and good riddance, let him come back if he ever learns about the Valiant Universe and how to not pick pointless fights with everyone he meets. Millenials, dude, it seems exhausting to me to be able to be offended about every single thing ever but they seem to thrive on it :?

aleskotcrazy.png
aleskotcrazy.png (116.64 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
(there's not a classier way to go about that?)
aleskothypocrite.jpg
aleskothypocrite.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
(Not a bad point in itself, but this was after Marvel had stopped supporting SOPA so he was just being a jerk for attention over something that wasn't even true anymore)

Link- http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... omics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

ChiptheRipper wrote:Just a fair warning... :rant: ahead

So his name seemed familiar to me, so I did a little Googling and WOW I JUST REMEMBERED WHERE I'VE HEARD OF HIM. This is the guy who attacks other comic industry people on Twitter all the time and then doesn't back it up with evidence! He also claimed there was a "serial abuser" in the industry and he was going to name him, but then chickened out (once again, most people assume he backed out because he had no real proof). Apparently he's an infamous Twitter hypocrite, talking about how he would never sell out and work for Marvel, how every cape comic is offensive in some way, ect. Keep in mind I had nothing against the guy beyond his bad writing on DD and that condescending tweet about women, and this was all found in about 15 minutes using some basic Googling.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me this guy has gone from 'unlikeable hipster know-it-all' to 'drama generating liability for any company he's involved with', which is a dangerous thing for a smaller company like Valiant. Imagine if he gets the internet hate mob directed towards Valiant :o ? I say ship him on his way and good riddance, let him come back if he ever learns about the Valiant Universe and how to not pick pointless fights with everyone he meets. Millenials, dude, it seems exhausting to me to be able to be offended about every single thing ever but they seem to thrive on it :?

aleskotcrazy.png
aleskothypocrite.jpg
(Not a bad point in itself, but this was after Marvel had stopped supporting SOPA so he was just being a jerk for attention over something that wasn't even true anymore)

Link- http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... omics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumb: Rant ahead, this dude really deserves it. What an hypocrite. Valiant, PLEASE:
(crowd chanting)

"NO MORE KOT! WE WANT PLOT! NO MORE KOT! WE WANT PLOT!"

(Greg, don't ban me bro :( )
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

ChiptheRipper wrote:Just a fair warning... :rant: ahead

aleskotcrazy.png
aleskothypocrite.jpg

Thank you for posting all that. Had heard some of this, but very interesting to get the full scoop.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

ChiptheRipper

Post by ChiptheRipper »

ShadowTuga wrote: (Greg, don't ban me bro :( )
If I posted anything that could be considered a bannable offense, I'd be more than happy to take it down. I know Kot likes to bring up politics a lot, but to me this really has nothing to do with his politics, this has to do with him being a condescending, hypocritial jerk who picks fights and makes up stories about people and then won't provide any evidence. I have no opinion on where he falls on the political spectrum, but I do have an opinion on where he falls on the *SQUEE* head spectrum :lol: .

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

ChiptheRipper wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote: (Greg, don't ban me bro :( )
If I posted anything that could be considered a bannable offense, I'd be more than happy to take it down. I know Kot likes to bring up politics a lot, but to me this really has nothing to do with his politics, this has to do with him being a condescending, hypocritial jerk who picks fights and makes up stories about people and then won't provide any evidence. I have no opinion on where he falls on the political spectrum, but I do have an opinion on where he falls on the *SQUEE* head spectrum :lol: .
:high-five:
He is a runner for the Dynamite treatment in my book. Because he sucks BAD. :thumb:
Poor Dinesh. I feel sorry for the company that this backlashed in terms of fan-reaction. I hope they keep trying new ideas, but PLEASE, give the wheel to someone who actuall wants to write for them.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo