December 2015 Solicitations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: December 2015 Solicitations

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:I kinda like the maxi series. It provides multiple jumping on points and makes it easy to collect in trade, and especially HC format.

In most cases, I think this is VEI's plan--to end series at 12 or 25--but they will not advertise it as such for various reasons.

However, I do think having a flagship title or two with ongoing numbering is a good idea in that it represents the stability of the company over time. Someone can see a new VEI book and say, "well that'll be over in a year..." Then see it sitting next to XO #150 and think "oh, well even if this series ends its going to be a complete story and not just dropped when the publisher goes under" or "If I like this, I know there's more where that came from (past and future)."
I mostly agree, but I'd like to have more than just 1 title that is allowed to go beyond 25 issues. Give me around half of the titles as longer term ongoings and the rest can be maxi-series with a shorter 4 issue mini thrown in here or there. I could live with that. I'm already worried that X-O is going to stop at 50, but I'd love to see them go beyond that.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I kinda like the maxi series. It provides multiple jumping on points and makes it easy to collect in trade, and especially HC format.

In most cases, I think this is VEI's plan--to end series at 12 or 25--but they will not advertise it as such for various reasons.

However, I do think having a flagship title or two with ongoing numbering is a good idea in that it represents the stability of the company over time. Someone can see a new VEI book and say, "well that'll be over in a year..." Then see it sitting next to XO #150 and think "oh, well even if this series ends its going to be a complete story and not just dropped when the publisher goes under" or "If I like this, I know there's more where that came from (past and future)."
I mostly agree, but I'd like to have more than just 1 title that is allowed to go beyond 25 issues. Give me around half of the titles as longer term ongoings and the rest can be maxi-series with a shorter 4 issue mini thrown in here or there. I could live with that. I'm already worried that X-O is going to stop at 50, but I'd love to see them go beyond that.
I agree. Ideally I'd like to see 1/4-1/3 of the titles as continuing series with sequential numbering. XO, Bloodshot, Harbinger and Shadowman come to mind with maybe Rai as well as flagship characters/books.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Captain Craig wrote:
jmatt wrote:The other thing to consider is the jumping on point. I see Spawn #238 on the new release shelf and wonder how anyone could start reading and understanding what's going on. And as much as I like SA Marvel, my head swims when I look at Marvel on the shelf and try to devine what's what, which is canon, which is alternate universe, etc. Too lazy to sort it all out and too confused by what I see, I just keep walking.
Welcome to step 1 - admitting where the problem lies.
Not a problem for me. Probably a problem for Marvel, though.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:However, I do think having a flagship title or two with ongoing numbering is a good idea in that it represents the stability of the company over time. Someone can see a new VEI book and say, "well that'll be over in a year..." Then see it sitting next to XO #150 and think "oh, well even if this series ends its going to be a complete story and not just dropped when the publisher goes under" or "If I like this, I know there's more where that came from (past and future)."
Agreed. Although I think its likely (if not already announced) that X-O will start renumbering after 50. I'd prefer if it wasn't.

bravura1
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by bravura1 »

WotEW 2:
Unless comic book covers have NOTHING to do with the story inside, it will be interesting to see how the writers work demons, romans, and big bad wolf into one issue...
facepalm

Really going out of their way to provide multiple covers...?

Paul Nolan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Paul Nolan »

is it me or do the current run of Imperium covers really evoke Crossgen's Negation?