What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by geocarr »

I just finished Justice League: A New Beginning TPB from 1987 (I think) with Giffen, J.M. Dematteis (spelling?), and Kevin McGuire. What a great read!! I cannot recommend this enough. A definite future re-read. The writers included current events, natural dialogue that was consistent with the characters personalities, and it made me laugh out loud multiple times. It also includes the issues where Batman punches Guy Gardner in the face and knocks him cold in one punch whih is just classic. If you haven't read this book, go out and get your copy today!
***Support your local farmers!***

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Drift wrote:Just started Thunderbolts from the beginning. Pretty good start so far and definitely want to find out where it is going.

You won't go wrong with Thunderbolts. It's not deep reading, but it's a fun, old-style series with twists & turns the whole way through. I consider it a bit of a guilty pleasure......I don't know what you've acquired, but avoid issues 76-81, as a new creative team came in for those issues and totally deviated from what came before. It's like an entirely different series......It's best to go through issues 1-75, then New Thunderbolts #1-18, then back to Thunderbolts #100-109 (They included the New Thunderbolts line in the numbering system to get the title to a 100th issue).......Also, Captain America Annual 1998 is integral to the Thunderbolts series.

If you end up enjoying the series enough, you can also get Zemo: Born Better, a 4-issue limited series.

I liked Warren Ellis's run on Thunderbolts, also, but it's totally different than the Busiek/Nicieza run.

Drift wrote:League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969 is tripe. Alan Moore just seems to be on a self-indulgent FTW bender with it, just seeing how much nudity, sex and drug taking he can get away with. Put it down before I was halfway through.
That's disappointing. I enjoyed the previous two trades, but hadn't picked up the current series. How was 1910?

geocarr wrote:I just finished Justice League: A New Beginning TPB from 1987 (I think) with Giffen, J.M. Dematteis (spelling?), and Kevin McGuire. What a great read!! I cannot recommend this enough. A definite future re-read. The writers included current events, natural dialogue that was consistent with the characters personalities, and it made me laugh out loud multiple times. It also includes the issues where Batman punches Guy Gardner in the face and knocks him cold in one punch whih is just classic. If you haven't read this book, go out and get your copy today!

I couldn't stand that run. I liked the work of JM DeMatteis on Captain America & Spider-Man, but JLI was just way too goofy.

I enjoyed the Palmiotti/Gray/Conner run on Power Girl, Gail Simone's run on The All-New Atom, and Robert Kirkman's run on Irredeemable Ant-Man, so I'm not averse to humor in comics, but that JLI run was too over-the-top for my tastes.......I guess it's a good comic for someone who wants a zany perspective on the Justice League.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

superman-prime wrote:starting SW legacy and invasion again highly reccomended
Those are great. The "Legacy" issues with the Duursema drawn story arcs are the best ones.

"Invasion" in particular is such a good title. I'm glad they are sticking with it as an ongoing and covering the New Jedi order era.

"Knight Errant" is starting off good too. Much darker than expected.

:thumb:

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

LoEG: Century 1910 was meh

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Invincible 81

No Spoilers. :thumb:

Great issue and a great example of why I love this book. It has a bit of fighting (at least 2 quick fight scenes in fact), lots of character conversations and touches on several earlier plotpoints and moves things forward at the same time.

This particular issue touches on the Powerplex plotline which began in Invincible #59 which was a one and done told from the side of Powerplex. That was one of my favorite single issues, no doubt. Invincible #81 resolved (at least for now) that particular plot point and also touched on a more recent plot point about a bank robber that Invincible convinced that he was doing wrong. This issue moved that storyline along.

There is no better super hero book out there. I'd say ever. If you haven't tried it, you are missing out.

ASM Crossover Home

Johnseye
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: I think it was 1991
Favorite title: Rai

Post by Johnseye »

The Red Wing isa very good story so far.

Other than that Uncanny X-Force and Chew are my regular reads. Also started FF from the beginning and Cap America but not sure if I'll stick with those.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

400yrs wrote:
Tim wrote:Just wrapped up The Dark Knight Returns. Amazingly enough, in the 20+ years I've been reading comics, this was th efirst time I've read it. Apart from some moments that I felt were just "dark for dark's sake", I thought it was the best thing from Frank Miller I've read so far. The art was tremendous, also.

Sweet! Did you read his first DD run? That's pretty comparable quality-wise, IMO.
Some of the best stuff from the era, for sure. :thumb:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

geocarr wrote:I just finished Justice League: A New Beginning TPB from 1987 (I think) with Giffen, J.M. Dematteis (spelling?), and Kevin McGuire. What a great read!! I cannot recommend this enough. A definite future re-read. The writers included current events, natural dialogue that was consistent with the characters personalities, and it made me laugh out loud multiple times. It also includes the issues where Batman punches Guy Gardner in the face and knocks him cold in one punch whih is just classic. If you haven't read this book, go out and get your copy today!
spot on. the bwa-ha-ha era of the League was tremendously enjoyable. Maguire's facial epressions are spectacular!

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Savant wrote:
Drift wrote:Just started Thunderbolts from the beginning. Pretty good start so far and definitely want to find out where it is going.

You won't go wrong with Thunderbolts. It's not deep reading, but it's a fun, old-style series with twists & turns the whole way through.
Aside from that unrelated "new direction", Thunderbolts comics have always been great entertainment!

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

I finally completed the nine issue run of Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur. Going to give that a read-through next.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

ok. So Devil Dinosaur was pretty much "meh". In the final issue, he falls through a warp and is brought to the present time ... but at the end of it, he's brought back to his prehistoric age. I am curious to know how he ended up back in the present time (he's appeared alongside Godzilla and other Marvel characters).

*a quick Wikipedia search reveals that Devil Dinosaur (and his pal, Moon-Boy) were brought to the present by Ariel in the Fallen Angels mini-series.

newt138
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re:

Post by newt138 »

400yrs wrote:Back in the Day from Action Lab Studios by Dave Dwonch. This was good. I'll be checking out his other book Spacetime Condominium. :thumb:

Space Time Condo is amazing. One of the few webcomics I bother to read.

400yrs
Re: Re:

Post by 400yrs »

newt138 wrote:
400yrs wrote:Back in the Day from Action Lab Studios by Dave Dwonch. This was good. I'll be checking out his other book Spacetime Condominium. :thumb:

Space Time Condo is amazing. One of the few webcomics I bother to read.
Cool. Is that something you can subscribe to and it will hit your email? Or do you have to go to the site every day?
ASM Crossover Home

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Doorman wrote:ok. So Devil Dinosaur was pretty much "meh". In the final issue, he falls through a warp and is brought to the present time ... but at the end of it, he's brought back to his prehistoric age. I am curious to know how he ended up back in the present time (he's appeared alongside Godzilla and other Marvel characters).

*a quick Wikipedia search reveals that Devil Dinosaur (and his pal, Moon-Boy) were brought to the present by Ariel in the Fallen Angels mini-series.

Yeah, probably not Kirby at his best. :P

I'm trying to complete a set of these, as well, mainly because it's a short bronze run and the issues can usually be had cheaply.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

it took me several years to piece this one together. how close are you? (I'd recommend picking up the Devil Dinosaur Spring Fling one-shot - it follows the ongoing series nicely)

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Doorman wrote:it took me several years to piece this one together. how close are you? (I'd recommend picking up the Devil Dinosaur Spring Fling one-shot - it follows the ongoing series nicely)
Not close at all, in fact I only have three of the nine issues. Not a priority at all, in fact, the only reason I have the ones I do is because the three I picked up were high grade copies that someone had in a bargain box. I'm sure I could get them quickly if I either wanted mid-grade copies or wanted to pay more, but of course I would prefer to find more high grade cheap copies. :P

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ASM 666

If you are looking to see what is up with Spidey lately, this is a great issue. This was jam-packed full of story in 30 or so pages. There was a ton of things going on in this and it was paced great. It almost felt like reading a good issue of Invincible where things are explained and several plot lines are moved along and new ones are created. Great stuff!!

Vault #1

This was surprisingly good. The story isn't all that original, but it is interesting. There are a few pages in this that are beautiful. The first double splash page near the beginning is just stunning.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Gladstone's School for World Conquerors 1 and 2.

I read #1 a while ago and got kind of lost trying to remember all of the different characters. I decided to give it another shot since I have 1-3 and because the art and colors are too catchy not to try it.

This time, I didn't worry about the character names and just enjoyed the story. It's actually a hilarious, cute little book.
ASM Crossover Home

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

started reading Dreadstar, really enjoying it so far. #3 was a very powerful issues, showed how ruthless the Lord High Papal is, he was willing to nuke an entire city and kill 15 million people in an attempt to destroy Dreadstar and Syzygy (which failed, of course). At the end of the book, Dreadstar is clearly having trouble dealing with the fact that so many people were killed, but he realizes that it was not his fault and swears to destroy the Lord High Papal and The Church of The Instrumentality. I only have a few issues of this (the early Epic issues), I was wondering if I should pick up the Epic Illustrated issues Dreadstar appeared in along with the Dreadstar Graphic Novel.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

The Papal is one bad dude. He falls into that Starlin villain archetype that I really like. More or less a Thanos to Vanth's Warlock.

Dreadstar is great. :thumb:

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

I've yet to read all of my Dreadstar books in a row - but what I've checked out, I've really enjoyed.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Just finished reading all of the Eternals comics every published by Marvel.

After a terrible one-shot (Eternals: Apocalypse Now) that basically turns them into just another team of super-heroes, Neil Gaiman wrote a mini-series starring the characters. I'm glad he took them back to their roots away from the superheroics. They're best when their own mythos is expounded upon and developed. It's like the Inhumans - if you're going to write just another capes story, please don't bother. But, if you're going to develop them as a species/race, and look into their culture, story (and more importantly, the Celestials) , etc - then you're on the write track. And, Gaiman certainly did this - although, I still wish he would have gave it more of a definitive ending. His entire mini-series just feels like a prelude to a much greater storyline. And, on its own, it's not really satisfying.

It was set in the aftermath of Marvel's Civil War and included this little gem -
Zuras: We are the Eternals. We are the court of last resort for humanity and for all living things on Earth.
Iron Man: Whose side are you on?
Zuras: We do not choose sides. Countries are lines in the sand. Empires rise and fall. We are timeless. We will still be here tomorrow, and a hundred centuries from now.
Yellowjacket: You have to choose sides. You have to register.
Zuras: If you saw two groups of children arguing over which of them could play in some waste ground, would you choose sides?

But, as I mentioned, the story only seemed like a prelude. Fortunately, it was! It was followed up on a year and a half later in the Eternals' fourth volume. This series was fantastic! After chugging through plenty of previous issues that seemed to introduce great promise but ultimately failed to deliver - this one finally did! It delves deeply into the Celestials' reason for being. It reveals that they serve the Fulcrum, and there is a counterbalance to them called the Horde. It features a very cool interplay between the Dreaming Celestial and the Watcher as they debate the merits of involving themselves in the lives of humans. It also develops a lot of the Eternals themselves (mostly Zuras, Thena, Makkari, Ikaris, Sersi, and Druig). I have nothing but great things to say about this series - it finally delivered the Eternals mythos that even Kirby couldn't summon (or was never given the editorial room to create). I'd strongly recommend you read this one however, I do realize that I may be more into it because I've already read the previous series. Unfortunately, I can't know how great this series would be if you didn't have all that background info but, I still imagine it would be quite interesting.
Last edited by Doorman on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:38:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

So I've been reading a few odd and ends before I start my next "big" read (following WD #49-85 and Scalped #1-48). I think my next "big" read is going to be BPRD. I've got just about a complete run.

Rift War mini. I got this on the cheap and only bought it cause they had the complete series (#1-5) apparently it is a continuing story after The Magicians Apprentice. I was able to enjoy it, but I didn't have the background of all the characters so I sorta glossed over who was who and just tried to enjoy the story. It was ok. Not something that I would recommend, but not a waist of time reading.

I also just read the Silver Agent 2 issue mini from Astro City. Like most of the Astro City stuff I've read since the Dark Ages, I didn't really enjoy it. Especially compared to the earlier AS stuff which was great! I hope the next thing Busiek decides to do with AC is like the first 2 series. It seems he has been doing a bunch of cosmic and other-worldly stuff and it is just not good.

I also have a Tick TPB that collects the first few stories. I've read a few issues. It's funny for sure, but I guess I'm not in the mood for funny. It has not drawn me back.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Now, I'm working through Super-Villain Team-Up.

I've already read both Giant-Size issues (which precede the ongoing) and the first seven issues of the ongoing. So far it's really just been Doctor Doom and Namor getting together to conquer the world and then breaking up once they both realize they can't trust each other. And, then they decide they need each other again ... and then they break up again. The concept has much more promise than is being realized, I hope it improves but I'm not expecting it to.

I suppose it is important/notable since the Shroud debuted in this title.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Doorman wrote:Now, I'm working through Super-Villain Team-Up.

I've already read both Giant-Size issues (which precede the ongoing) and the first seven issues of the ongoing. So far it's really just been Doctor Doom and Namor getting together to conquer the world and then breaking up once they both realize they can't trust each other. And, then they decide they need each other again ... and then they break up again. The concept has much more promise than is being realized, I hope it improves but I'm not expecting it to.

I suppose it is important/notable since the Shroud debuted in this title.
Yeah, the storytelling in Super-Villain Team-Up is pretty run of the mill, nothing really stood when I read it, which I why I sold my set right after I finished up with it! :P