What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by xodacia81 »

Jersen wrote:There's only 3 reasons to "read" Gen 13, and that's to see big *SQUEE*, long legs, and tight *SQUEE*.
:twisted:

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Jersen wrote:That's a little project I'm looking to get into down the line. Are the New Universe books very expensive to obtain for the most part?
Nah, should be able to get the majority of them cheaply, the last issues of some of the longer running titles can be tough to find, but not that difficult.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Brother J wrote:
Jersen wrote:That's a little project I'm looking to get into down the line. Are the New Universe books very expensive to obtain for the most part?
Nah, should be able to get the majority of them cheaply, the last issues of some of the longer running titles can be tough to find, but not that difficult.
Go to Comic Collector Live and a majority of the comics can be found around 50 cent to a dollar each.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Jersen wrote:There's only 3 reasons to "read" Gen 13, and that's to see big *SQUEE*, long legs, and tight *SQUEE*.
I actually decided to not open it again. My reading time is just too valuable and there is so much good stuff that I have to read.

I decided to start a Trial of Galactus TPB that I have. I read the forward and it looks like it is the (mostly) complete Byrne Glactus story (at least that is what he said).

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote: I actually decided to not open it again. My reading time is just too valuable and there is so much good stuff that I have to read.
Werd. If something is crap, don't bother with it.
ASM Crossover Home

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote: I actually decided to not open it again. My reading time is just too valuable and there is so much good stuff that I have to read.
Werd. If something is crap, don't bother with it.

Fo sho. I have so much stuff I have not read once and tons of stuff I want to re-read. I got no time for junk.

One thing that I am close to finishing is my run of Lone Wolf and Cub. Really looking forward to reading that.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

BruceReville wrote:Rereading the New Universe and trying to read it in chronological order. Man it is a *SQUEE* to put in sequence. :!:
Bruce, I've recently put my entire set together, as well. Since you're reading it that way, do you think it's better to read each series individually or read all the series together, like you're doing?

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Re-reading Bone. I forgot how much I LOVE this book.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Doorman wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Rereading the New Universe and trying to read it in chronological order. Man it is a *SQUEE* to put in sequence. :!:
Bruce, I've recently put my entire set together, as well. Since you're reading it that way, do you think it's better to read each series individually or read all the series together, like you're doing?
For sanity's sake individually - continuity wise it is a nightmare. Take for example Merc 1-4. These issues take place over the span of a little over 3 weeks in real time. HOWEVER! They all take place before the White Event.

How so? Well there are no dates inside the issues as points of reference in any issue, but in issue #3 Hazzard is working security during the Israeli Day Parade in NYC. This is an actual event that takes place every year in NYC during the month of June. White Event happens in July.

Another case of continuity OMGIWANNARIPMYHAIROUT! Kickers #1 - that issue begins in July during the White Event - then goes through an entire year of football to the point of the Smashers winning the Super Bowl. July 86 -February 87 in real time. So that would mean issue 2 takes place in at least late February or March 1987. So if you wanted to read continuity wise, you would read issue #1 first then probably about 15-20 other New Universe issues before you get to #2. (Still working on chronology - so far I have from April 86 - December 86 done)

Some issues have dates in them and makes it easy. Some have references to other events which makes it plausible, some have obscure events that THANK GOD for the Marvel handbook I would be totally going "WTF?! Where Do You Go?"

Read straight series if you want to keep your sanity -- trust me. :!:

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Elveen wrote:
I actually decided to not open it again. My reading time is just too valuable and there is so much good stuff that I have to read.

I decided to start a Trial of Galactus TPB that I have. I read the forward and it looks like it is the (mostly) complete Byrne Glactus story (at least that is what he said).
That's a cool storyarc :thumb:

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

xodacia81 wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Jay Tomio wrote:Yesterday I started Jim Henson's Tale of Sand.
Henson has a comic? Is it old or is it something new that was laying around for 20 years? Who all is involved in it and what is it about?
it's an adaption of an unused screen play Jim Henson wrote in the late 60's. it doesn't feature muppets, it's from a period when jim henson did some experimental short films.
The only early, experimental film I've seen from Henson was Time Piece, which was quite odd. Saw that at the Museum of the Moving Image, in New York, back in September.
here's the CBR review.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... ew&id=4249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I read Uncanny X-Men 1 and also Wolverine and X-Men 1. As far as I can remember, those are the first X books I've read since Byrne left the title. I liked Uncanny better, and plan to read the second issues of both titles.
I think it's pretty huge that Marvel relaunched Uncanny.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I have read the first two issues of the Image title Xenoholics. It is about Alien abductees. The story is fun and makes me laugh. I wouldn't call it the greatest read, but it has something to it that is fun. If you are looking for a good humored story try this one out.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

caxiotis wrote:I have read the first two issues of the Image title Xenoholics. It is about Alien abductees. The story is fun and makes me laugh. I wouldn't call it the greatest read, but it has something to it that is fun. If you are looking for a good humored story try this one out.
I thought that book looked interesting.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

BruceReville wrote:Read straight series if you want to keep your sanity -- trust me. :!: [/b]
will do! how's the quality of the books?

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Doorman wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Read straight series if you want to keep your sanity -- trust me. :!: [/b]
PSI-Force - Spitfire - D.P.7 - Nightmask are my favorites.

Star Brand - Justice are decent.

Kickers Inc -- is well ...... not the best.

Merc is ok but none of it ties into the New Universe in any way at all so if you wanted to you could skip the entire series.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

thanks for the head's up. glad to see you're retro-reading!

Currently, I'm reading through Ms. Marvel #1-23 from Marvel's bronze age. It introduced Deathbird and Mystique to the Marvel Universe. After that, I'm going to read Ms. Marvel vol. II #1-50.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
Doorman wrote:
PSI-Force - Spitfire - D.P.7 - Nightmask are my favorites.

Star Brand - Justice are decent.

Kickers Inc -- is well ...... not the best.

Merc is ok but none of it ties into the New Universe in any way at all so if you wanted to you could skip the entire series.
Loves me some New Universe talk!

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

Been picking up spider-man big time issues where I can find them. Just read 648 (the first big time issue) and loved it. Wanna talk about a something that is an organic relaunch/rebirth/new direction and is amazing (not a cold stop and restart).

Really impressed, especially since spider has been hit or miss for me over the last few years. Can't wait to read the next issue.

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

Still reading ASM. Got through 649 through 558. Really loving Slott's writing. Seriously impressed.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:Still reading ASM. Got through 649 through 558. Really loving Slott's writing. Seriously impressed.

He definitely knows how to write Spidey.

When did you stop reading ASM? There are some really great Joe Kelly issues in the Brand New Day run.

I went to a comic shop the other day and bought NOTHING! First time that has happened in a long time.

I'm reading Transhuman right now. Most Hickman stuff is too photo / design heavy for me. I'm liking this so far.
ASM Crossover Home

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:
caxiotis wrote:Still reading ASM. Got through 649 through 558. Really loving Slott's writing. Seriously impressed.

When did you stop reading ASM? There are some really great Joe Kelly issues in the Brand New Day run.
I got back into comics at the tail end the Marvel Civil War. I read "one more day" and loved it, so I read brand new day through a little past "New Ways to Die" (stopped around 570). In reading the brand new day issues I found most of the story lines to be mediocre. I really liked 555-557 (zeb wells story) and the "new ways to die" story (slot run). I picked up again with "grim hunt" (634-637), by joe kelly which was awesome, but then read the first issue of one moment in time by Quesada and was disappointed and jumped off again.

The inconsist quality of brand new day (and inconsistant writers) stopped me from reading ASM, but now greatness.

What other ASM runs from brand new day would you recommend?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

caxiotis wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I got back into comics at the tail end the Marvel Civil War. I read "one more day" and loved it, so I read brand new day through a little past "New Ways to Die" (stopped around 570). In reading the brand new day issues I found most of the story lines to be mediocre. I really liked 555-557 (zeb wells story) and the "new ways to die" story (slot run). I picked up again with "grim hunt" (634-637), by joe kelly which was awesome, but then read the first issue of one moment in time by Quesada and was disappointed and jumped off again.

The inconsist quality of brand new day (and inconsistant writers) stopped me from reading ASM, but now greatness.

What other ASM runs from brand new day would you recommend?
I'd recommend 595 - 599 - American Son by Joe Kelly. It's about Harry Osborn.

Also, I highly recommend issue 617 which is a one and done Rhino story. Issue 625 kind of picks it back up a bit and is also excellent. Both by Joe Kelly.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I finished Transhuman. Meh. Hickman just doesn't do it for me. If you are a Grant Morrison fan, you will likely enjoy his stuff.
ASM Crossover Home

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

After finishing up the 1st 11 Fables TPBs, I started in on Preacher. I had read the first 20+ issues when they came out but lost interest, and I've got to say I find the same thing happening again. I generally like Ennis' work, and it's not that I find Preacher offensive or anything, but I am kind of bored with the story already. It may improve, but just noting the drop-off for me.
Now that I think about it, during most Ennis runs I've read, there's been high points that I love and remember, but the majority are forgettable/ok. His Hellblazer run has several really great issues that I have read multiple times, but I haven't felt the need to re-read the entire thing. And only a few of them has Dillon art (I'm not a big fan).
I remember enjoying his Demon and Hitman runs quite a bit years ago, and Hitman 34 (like Preacher 18) is a wonderful issue.
Perhaps selective Ennis is better than comprehensive Ennis.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.