What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Cyberstrike »

I've read Kirby: Genesis #0-4, Kirby: Genesis-Silver Star #1-3, and Kirby: Genesis-Captain Victory #1-2 and they were surpising very good and fun reads.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I'm continuing on with reading the entire 50 issue run of Ms. Tree, written by Max Collins, and featuring Terry Beatty art. It's one of the best comic series I've ever read, and one of my all-time favorites. Collins, an accomplished mystery writer perhaps best known for writing Road To Perdition, (another one of the notable things he's done was take over scripts on Dick Tracy following Chester Gould) provides excellent scripts, and Beatty is the perfect artist for this title. Each issue takes about half an hour for me to read, as there aren't many quick pages, and each issue has 2-3 pages of letters. I also read any editorials. I'm taking my time on this, and will likely read issues 18 and 19 today.
Around issue 10 they started using a duo tone technique, which is black and white and a third color. Heck, I never heard of that technique until running across it in Ms. Tree. They've used mostly brown as the third color, but have used blue twice and red once. Ms. Tree appeared in color, black and white, and duo tone.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Update on reading 1978 Marvel Comics -- What is the big deal of everyone winning a Kewpie Doll? :?
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

BruceReville wrote:Update on reading 1978 Marvel Comics -- What is the big deal of everyone winning a Kewpie Doll? :?

It was better than a no-prize? (Have to ask Sean about the No-Prize, though) It was the 70's, so, who knows...Shooter's editors were on strange substances and thought it was "Groovy", maybe? :?

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

xodacia81 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Update on reading 1978 Marvel Comics -- What is the big deal of everyone winning a Kewpie Doll? :?

It was better than a no-prize? (Have to ask Sean about the No-Prize, though) It was the 70's, so, who knows...Shooter's editors were on strange substances and thought it was "Groovy", maybe? :?
In 1979 almost all the comics worked in the phrase "Touche'"
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BruceReville wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

In 1979 almost all the comics worked in the phrase "Touche'"

Being it was the Golden Age of a certain style of cinema, I wonder if the more apt term was touchy...

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Master of Kung Fu was outstanding in the 70s.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Okay, I timed an issue. It took me 45 minutes to read an issue of Ms. Tree. There were three pages of letters, and the story took awhile too. I also read the editorial.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

StarBrand wrote:Okay, I timed an issue. It took me 45 minutes to read an issue of Ms. Tree. There were three pages of letters, and the story took awhile too. I also read the editorial.
That sounds downright Simm...

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

StarBrand wrote:I'm continuing on with reading the entire 50 issue run of Ms. Tree, written by Max Collins, and featuring Terry Beatty art. It's one of the best comic series I've ever read, and one of my all-time favorites. Collins, an accomplished mystery writer perhaps best known for writing Road To Perdition, (another one of the notable things he's done was take over scripts on Dick Tracy following Chester Gould) provides excellent scripts, and Beatty is the perfect artist for this title. Each issue takes about half an hour for me to read, as there aren't many quick pages, and each issue has 2-3 pages of letters. I also read any editorials. I'm taking my time on this, and will likely read issues 18 and 19 today.
Around issue 10 they started using a duo tone technique, which is black and white and a third color. Heck, I never heard of that technique until running across it in Ms. Tree. They've used mostly brown as the third color, but have used blue twice and red once. Ms. Tree appeared in color, black and white, and duo tone.
Frank Miller did that on a couple of Sin City series and couple of short stories the most well known are probably Sin City: That Yellow *SQUEE* and Sin City: The Babe Wore Red
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

leonmallett wrote:
superman-prime wrote:got mighty avengers 1 - 20 im thinking on reading is it good ?
Hmm. There are some good elements there, but as a whole it just doesn't hang together that well for me, but the symbiote storyline was the most intriguing for me, but it was subsumed into a larger plot arc so kind of got lost in the mix.

Bendis tried to break with his NA style with this, and there are some strong ideas, but the run is very disjointed in my opinion and just does not flow that smoothly. Still, I am re-reading the full BMB Avengers canon form first to last at present, so it was important for me to re-read this.
This is pretty much a spot-on evaluation. If you're looking for some fun Avengers comics from that era, I'd opt for Avengers: the Initiative, instead.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Cyberstrike wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I'm continuing on with reading the entire 50 issue run of Ms. Tree, written by Max Collins, and featuring Terry Beatty art. It's one of the best comic series I've ever read, and one of my all-time favorites. Collins, an accomplished mystery writer perhaps best known for writing Road To Perdition, (another one of the notable things he's done was take over scripts on Dick Tracy following Chester Gould) provides excellent scripts, and Beatty is the perfect artist for this title. Each issue takes about half an hour for me to read, as there aren't many quick pages, and each issue has 2-3 pages of letters. I also read any editorials. I'm taking my time on this, and will likely read issues 18 and 19 today.
Frank Miller did that on a couple of Sin City series and couple of short stories the most well known are probably Sin City: That Yellow *SQUEE* and Sin City: The Babe Wore Red
Thanks for pointing that out. :thumb:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

finally going to read secret invasion

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

superman-prime wrote:finally going to read secret invasion
Not so secret if you can read about, now is it?

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

been a secret for a few years now

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

xodacia81 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Okay, I timed an issue. It took me 45 minutes to read an issue of Ms. Tree. There were three pages of letters, and the story took awhile too. I also read the editorial.
That sounds downright Simm...
Simm-ian?

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

xodacia81 wrote:
superman-prime wrote:finally going to read secret invasion
Not so secret if you can read about, now is it?
http://instantrimshot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Justice League # 7, GLC # 7 and Fables # 115. Each was good.

The Shazam backup in JL introduces Billy as quite a different sort of character. A bit of an angsty orphan. On the plus side, it had Dr. Sivana and some excellent art. As for the main story, this could be really good. Lee isn't doing the art this issue and maybe for the rest of the arc.

GLC was a slower, more poignant story. I enjoyed it as an interlude.

Fables was a bit of a transitory issue, and I think we're going to see some major problems arise very soon. Spratt's plot has me seriously worried. The Buffkin backup story needed to be long. 3 or 4 pages? It needed 6, folks.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child

A good little story about the super-natural happenings in New Orleans. The caption boxes took me back to the way Nettie talked in Shadowman. I will be checking out the next few issues for sure. I'm hoping it ends up being something my wife will enjoy because she loves the mystery of NO. I was a bit disappointed that Laveaux's tomb did not have any xxx's on it. 4/5. The art by Denys Cowan was very nice as well.
ASM Crossover Home

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

400yrs wrote:Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child

A good little story about the super-natural happenings in New Orleans. The caption boxes took me back to the way Nettie talked in Shadowman. I will be checking out the next few issues for sure. I'm hoping it ends up being something my wife will enjoy because she loves the mystery of NO. I was a bit disappointed that Laveaux's tomb did not have any xxx's on it. 4/5. The art by Denys Cowan was very nice as well.
I meant to give this a look. Not usually into supernatural-type stuff, but Denys Cowan's art is worth the price of admission everytime.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Tim wrote:
400yrs wrote:Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child

I meant to give this a look. Not usually into supernatural-type stuff, but Denys Cowan's art is worth the price of admission everytime.

I'm not familiar with his art at all. I'll have to see what else he has done. The centerfold layout was very nice. You should at least flip it to give it a look. Good looking book.
ASM Crossover Home

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

He did The Question back in the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denys_Cowan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim

Post by Tim »

Just re-read George Perez's run as writer on the Silver Surfer (issues #111 through 122).

When these came out Marvel was desperate to revitalize the Surfer's title after Ron Marz and Ron Lim left so turned the reins over to George Perez to write. The concept was to get the Surfer away from the Marvel Universe and on his own in the hopes that he could develop apart from the characters that usually define him (The FF, Galactus, etc.)

An ambitious and brave choice, but an almost unreadable mess. I didn't get through it when it was first released and I didn't think I was going to get through it this time. Just so many different strange concepts at once, so wordy and expository and just so weird. Tons of sexual innuendo and religious overtones. The art was a mess, but I think that was more to do with George's character designs than Tom Grummet or Scot Eaton's pencils. The color (by the newly acquired Malibu Studios) is some of the most nauseating work I've ever seen. Makes Psi-lords look like freaking Monet.

The basic storyline is the Surfer answers a distress call from across the universe and is honor bound to answer it and protect the citizens of some backwater galaxy from the Uni-Lord (their version of God). The Surfer ends up having his soul seperated from hsi body, his body chopped into 12 pieces which are auctioned off for ridiculous payments (one buyer bids all the female members of an entire race; another barters his species power of flight). One of the buyers is a sentient rock who bids for the Surfer's leg telepathically. The buyers take the pieces home and as they come into physical contact with them (one buyer eats the Surfer's leg, another person; a stripper; uses the Surfer's rear-end to decorate a pole that she grinds on...i kid you not) and becomes a Substitute Surfer, with all the powers of the Surfer and even a board of thier own. The Substitutes decide to go after the Uni-Lord. More ridiculous stuff happens, dragging out painful for, like, 10 issues and at the end, the story that was supposed to change the Surfer forever, leaves everything pretty much the way it was when it started.

Until.....

The Surfer pops back into our galaxy just as Zenn-La is being destroyed by some unknown force / being and inexplicably says "The hell with it" and not only doesn't help, but prevents Captain Marvel (Legacy, I believe) from helping as well. The Surfer then says that his humanity died with Zenn-La and goes back to being the emotionless Surfer that first met the fantastic Four is FF #48. Yeah...all that in, like, 20 pages.

This story left me scratching my head, amazed at how desperate Marvel Comics was in the late 90's and how sometimes a creative genius like Perez really needs to have and editor reign him in. Also, I'm convinced that George Perez wrote this under the influence of very hard drugs. After reading this I could stand to smoke some drugs myself.
Last edited by Tim on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Post by Tim »

dbl

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Almost done with a RE-read of GL, from Rebirth through War of the GL's, and that included Blackest Night. I think it holds up well on the second time through. Lots of good stuff. As much as some knock Johns, I think he's planned out a lot more than he lets on. That, or he's really good at tying things together so it looks like they were planned.

Either way, modern GL is just a hell of a read and the whole War of Light saga was so well done. I think I'm going to go back and re-read Infinite Crisis and (shudders) Final Crisis, sometime in the next couple weeks.