What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by BugsySig »

400yrs wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
400yrs wrote:Pretty sure that was a one shot.
End of the issue says Hawkeye returns in "The Vagabond Code"... I assumed that was the next issue. If it is a one-shot, then that is disappointing.

Edit: Preview for issue 2 http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/08/0 ... ingsworth/

Ah. You are right. Everything I heard was that this was a one and done story so I guess I assumed it was a one shot.
Considering the rarity of self contained, single issue stories these days your assumption was not that odd. I wonder if all the issues will be self contained...that would REALLY be something different.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Before Watchment Nite Owl #1. This was good as well, but Staczynksi didn't really get the voice of Rorscharch.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Bought the Secret Warriors Omni and although I'm only about 7 issues in, I'm really digging it. Great story, amazing writing from Hickman (he's becoming my next PAD) and very interesting and cool new characters. :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ian_house wrote:
400yrs wrote:Swamp Thing #10. I usually love Francesco Francavilla's art, but this is the wrong book for him. I hope DC realizes that and this was just a fill in issue. Just because an artist is great doesn't mean he is great on any book.
Not read it yet but not sounding good. It's pretty unfortunate that Yanick Paquette couldn't stay on the book. :(
It's kind of a shame - I was loving Paquettes work on SW... I've just dropped it and Animal Man from my pull list after getting both #12's last week. Both had great stories going but they are kind of 'meh' the last couple months... Would it be wrong to suggest they already feel like they are rehashing their first story arcs? It just seems long and drawn out for no good reason to me lately... Like they don't really know what to do with the characters next...

Been a light couple weeks for me, just Swamp Thing & Animal Man 12, Iron Man 522, & Transformers:RG1 #82 (it just tickles the little kid in me to revisit the marvel TF universe!) last week and only A&A 1 this week.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Elveen wrote:I'm in the middle of reading Crossgen's Ruse.
I've read the mark waid books but nothing after.
The beginning is great, there was a drop off
But the post Waid books are sorta good in there
Own right.

Almost done with Ruse. Not as bad as I was thinking, the post Waid stuff is not bad (the dialogue is not as smooth), I'm actually enjoying this book.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

grendeljd wrote: It's kind of a shame - I was loving Paquettes work on SW... I've just dropped it and Animal Man from my pull list after getting both #12's last week. Both had great stories going but they are kind of 'meh' the last couple months... Would it be wrong to suggest they already feel like they are rehashing their first story arcs? It just seems long and drawn out for no good reason to me lately... Like they don't really know what to do with the characters next...
I've still only read up to 10 on both, but that seems to be the consensus on these two books from even everyone who loved them in the beginning. Maybe they waited too long to do the crossover? Or maybe what went wrong is planning a crossover at all?

I just read Wonder Woman #1 - #11 tonight. #1 -#6 was a re-read and the rest I picked up on the cheap so I read them for the first time. The story is good, but man is it drawn out. I can see where the break points are for the first two trades, but they are going to be quick reading trades with one over-arching plot that looks like it still won't be resolved for a looooooong time.

It's a good read with great Chiang art in half the issues, but I don't regret that I took it off my pull after #6. The run is on ebay. If anyone is interested, I'll go a lot lower on it than the listed $24.95 for a vf.com member.

I'd love to see Chiang do an X-O arc or heck even just a one shot. :cloud9: That would get some new eyes on the VEI books.
ASM Crossover Home

Johnseye
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: I think it was 1991
Favorite title: Rai

Post by Johnseye »

The only books I read from DCs relaunch now are Batman and Justice League. Batman with Snyder and Capullo have been awesome so far. I was just talking with Capullo today and he said he signed a one year deal with DC to continue the series. I'm glad cause I really like his style. This arc is up there with Frank Miller's Dark Knight run and Long Halloween. I'm still reading Justice League because I like Jim Lee but otherwise I'd probably drop it like I did all the other DC titles. Nothing else from the reboot strong enough to captivate me. I am reading the Before Watchmen series and have to admit I like it. I was always a Jae Lee fan and to see his art again is great. Almost all the talent in this series is top notch.

From Marvel I read Uncanny X-Force religiously. Rick Remender's going to write Uncanny Avengers so I'm going to check it our for sure. He's a great writer and I've heard he's getting the freedom to write some real personal stories with the Avengers like he's done with X-Force. I talked with him for a while at C2E2 and he told me he was going to kill off everyone in the current Uncanny X-Force and so far it's been true. Two dead and counting. I have been reading Daredevil but might stop. It has been good so far but not sure where they're taking the story now.

From Image I've been reading Saga and really like the uniqueness of the story. Mature reading which I like, it's not a bedtime story for my kids. I've been reading Thief of Thieves but honestly don't understand what all the hype is about. I think it's a "made for TV" comic and I'll probably drop it. I've been reading Fatale and like the story. Cult noir meets sc-fi horror. Good read.

Of course I'm reading everything Valiant. Waiting for some real excitement to happen in X-O. Bloodshot is action packed out of the gate. Harbinger is building and interesting so far. A&A's writing has got me interested. Not a big fan of Henry yet although I do like how Armstrong is penciled.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Johnseye wrote:The only books I read from DCs relaunch now are Batman and Justice League.

One year after the New 52 launch and I really feel like they've lost the excitement they had. It almost seems like the first few issues were planned out well, but then they didn't have a strong plan for any of the titles thereafter.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

AvX #9.

I picked this up because people were saying it's a good Spider-Man issue. It was ok in that regard, but sucky in every other regard. A waste of $4. Stay away from AvX.

Anyone know what's up with the "AR" that shows up on some of the pages in a little red box? I have no clue what that is supposed to be.
ASM Crossover Home

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

400yrs wrote:AvX #9.

I picked this up because people were saying it's a good Spider-Man issue. It was ok in that regard, but sucky in every other regard. A waste of $4. Stay away from AvX.

Anyone know what's up with the "AR" that shows up on some of the pages in a little red box? I have no clue what that is supposed to be.
If you scan them with an iphone/android/whatever, you'll get some info about the story, the artwork or that particular panel.
I must admit I liked the dialogue between Peter and Hope. It was the best thing about this issue.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Ross2
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Ross2 »

Bought and read Hawkeye #1. All my cool comic friends said it was awesome, as did many reviews online. Me? I thought it quick, boring and didn't go anywhere. I wasn't expecting a Thanos battle or mockingbird appearance, but Russian thugs and dog saving? I felt like i was reading the writer's crib notes and not a detailed comic story.

David Aja apparently is a very good cover artist and thats where it ends.

Lightning Strike

Ross2 wrote:Bought and read Hawkeye #1. All my cool comic friends said it was awesome, as did many reviews online. Me? I thought it quick, boring and didn't go anywhere. I wasn't expecting a Thanos battle or mockingbird appearance, but Russian thugs and dog saving? I felt like i was reading the writer's crib notes and not a detailed comic story.

His artwork on Iron Fist and DD was awesome. I don't know what happened here, maybe it was the inker, but his stuff in this issue was below par.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Ross2 wrote:Bought and read Hawkeye #1. All my cool comic friends said it was awesome, as did many reviews online. Me? I thought it quick, boring and didn't go anywhere. I wasn't expecting a Thanos battle or mockingbird appearance, but Russian thugs and dog saving? I felt like i was reading the writer's crib notes and not a detailed comic story.

His artwork on Iron Fist and DD was awesome. I don't know what happened here, maybe it was the inker, but his stuff in this issue was below par.

There wasn't any inker that was credited. I believe this was all Aja. It's a style thing. I generally like the blocky, cartoony look that is used issue, but Aja's style blends that with photo-realism, which I don't care for.

As for the story, I liked it. It wasn't quite as great as all the glowing reviews made it out to be though. I liked that this wasn't a typical super hero book. It was a light on story though. I even counted the pages and there were only 19. Crazy low for a first issue.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I can't make up mine on which to read first: The Transformers: Autocracy or Dragon Age vol. 1: The Silent Grove.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:
Johnseye wrote:The only books I read from DCs relaunch now are Batman and Justice League.

One year after the New 52 launch and I really feel like they've lost the excitement they had. It almost seems like the first few issues were planned out well, but then they didn't have a strong plan for any of the titles thereafter.
I love that you wrote this because I just dropped all DC books. Everything really started off strong, but even their best books have slowed down.

Don't get me wrong, i still want to read Aquaman, animal man, swamp thing and parts of Batman, but I am bored with the individual issues.

Also wonder woman #1 was great and sadly dropped off every issue after. The wonder woman series is a huge disappointment for me.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

caxiotis wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I love that you wrote this because I just dropped all DC books. Everything really started off strong, but even their best books have slowed down.

Don't get me wrong, i still want to read Aquaman, animal man, swamp thing and parts of Batman, but I am bored with the individual issues.

Also wonder woman #1 was great and sadly dropped off every issue after. The wonder woman series is a huge disappointment for me.
Agreed. I just cut my new 52 subs from 20 to 10. Around issue 4 I cut from 52 to 20.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Lightning Strike

caxiotis wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I wondered how long it would be before this happened. I knew there would be a lot of hype, but didn't know if they could sustain it.

Lightning Strike

I just finished Secret Warriors omni and it was really, REALLY good. I loved the plot, the story and while the art at the end wasn't as good as the first 20 or so issues, this series was still very good. And you don't have to be a Nick Fury fan to enjoy this book. Hickman is an amazing writer and knows how to tell a story with great dialogue. He seems to have these great one liners that make you laugh even in the face of serious danger for the characters.

The best thing about this series is that it wasn't drawn out. It has a beginning, middle and end and there's no "fluff" issues that slow the pace of the story down. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

50 Girls 50 #1. Made it through about 7 pages and then quit reading. Bleh.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Astro City: A Character Special - Beautie.

The original Atro City mini and the ensuing regular series were among the best books back in the day. They got me back into comics.

The following mini, Local Heroes and Dark Ages, I did not care for in the least. In fact, the only AC stories with the Wildstorm brand that I enjoyed were the character one shots such as the Samaritan one shot. This Beautie one shot was released in 2008. It's the kind of Astro City story that I enjoy. It's a done in one about one character within the universe. Busiek should go back to things like this.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Animal Man #11 - This was more of the same, but I liked it. The art was fine as well. I must admit though, if I wasn't a sucker for family books, I'd probably not be enjoying this as much.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

400yrs wrote:50 Girls 50 #1. Made it through about 7 pages and then quit reading. Bleh.
I read all 4 issues trust me you're not missing much. It's cheesecake at best and while the art and concept are decent the story is hard to follow and the characters tend to blur together.

I was reading something earlier today but forgot what it was.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Ross2

Post by Ross2 »

Besides reading some Valiant this week, I managed to finish Marvel's Civil War TPB.

While I didn't have too much issue with the general concept, I thought they completely mis-characterized Capt America and Iron Man. I am glad that so many heroes in the story doubted what they were doing, pro or con for Cap and IM. At least some of the bad representation could be explained by the "heat of the moment" issues. But Cap and IM, wow, who were those ppl.

I guess present Marvel has pretty much resurrected everyone that needed to be alive and forgave those who needed to be forgiven. Still.

Art was pretty good.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Civil War was pretty much the last decent crossover.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike

400yrs wrote:Civil War was pretty much the last decent crossover.
I disliked it. I thought it was contrived. They basically made Stark into a raving lunatic who crapped all over his friends and Cap would never have backed down and gave in. The man doesn't know the word quit. Just the whole concept was ridiculous