What Valiant book would you not want to return?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Well... can we have Unity if we didnt have time travel? I mean, if you can get to place outside of time, where other people from different times can get there.. should there be a way back home for each of those? And possibly a way to get to another time via that place???

Timewalker would need to have the right writer for sure..maybe not his own title, but maybe appearances..

Ivar is like a present that your not expecting. His character brings mystery to the story lines.. For the writers its a neat way to bring about a new plotline for the story..

manningfan
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by manningfan »

Hmm, I would not mind a new Unity, as long as it makes sense. Too bad we will never see the end of Unity 2000. BTW, what is this "Unspeakable One" that you talk about? I must have missed something. What does it have to do with Barry Windsor Smith? Did a member of Valiant decide to get a VFSS together and screw him over or something?

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

manningfan wrote:Hmm, I would not mind a new Unity, as long as it makes sense. Too bad we will never see the end of Unity 2000. BTW, what is this "Unspeakable One" that you talk about? I must have missed something. What does it have to do with Barry Windsor Smith? Did a member of Valiant decide to get a VFSS together and screw him over or something?
I think he's referring referred to a former board member who got BWS to sign some stuff under false pretenses and did a lot of other things that honked off a lot of people. It's a long bad story I'd hate to derail the thread with.

You might like this site if you hadn't found it already....

http://www.barrywindsor-smith.com/

I couldn't make heads or tails of if he's putting out any material now but there's a lot of interesting stuff on there.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Ryan wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Elveen wrote:[BTW, I have never read Acclaim's Eternal Warriors]
You're lucky.
:lol:
If only we could all make that claim, heh
I thought a few dudes here have recommended it. :hm: Maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah. They aren't that bad. Not BWS, but not awful either.

manningfan

Post by manningfan »

Todd Luck wrote:
manningfan wrote:Hmm, I would not mind a new Unity, as long as it makes sense. Too bad we will never see the end of Unity 2000. BTW, what is this "Unspeakable One" that you talk about? I must have missed something. What does it have to do with Barry Windsor Smith? Did a member of Valiant decide to get a VFSS together and screw him over or something?
I think he's referring referred to a former board member who got BWS to sign some stuff under false pretenses and did a lot of other things that honked off a lot of people. It's a long bad story I'd hate to derail the thread with.

You might like this site if you hadn't found it already....

http://www.barrywindsor-smith.com/

I couldn't make heads or tails of if he's putting out any material now but there's a lot of interesting stuff on there.
Yeah, I have seen his site, and yeah, I have been a fan since Conan. Thank you for the link anyway. Too bad one idiot had to ruin it for everyone though.

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

Which series would I prefer to not be brought back?

ManofTheAtom wrote:The Visitor.

The entire concept sucked, from beginning to end. It was the complete antithesis of EVERYTHING VALIANT stood for (sorry Kevin...).

Turning Peter Stanchek into Cable (or as it were, Ultimate Cable who is the Wolverine from the future) reeked, pure and simple.

Add Marts' description of the Visitor as the VALIANT Universe's version of Superman and it only gets worse.

Couldn't agree more. I remember my first thought when I saw an add for the Visitor........."A cape?!?!". The "Harbinger" was equally inappropriate.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Ryan wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Elveen wrote:[BTW, I have never read Acclaim's Eternal Warriors]
You're lucky.
Oh, come on.

if Baron's Archer & Armstrong wasn't good enough to succeed BWS's, then how is the version with the space ships better?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Second_Death wrote:Which series would I prefer to not be brought back?

ManofTheAtom wrote:The Visitor.

The entire concept sucked, from beginning to end. It was the complete antithesis of EVERYTHING VALIANT stood for (sorry Kevin...).

Turning Peter Stanchek into Cable (or as it were, Ultimate Cable who is the Wolverine from the future) reeked, pure and simple.

Add Marts' description of the Visitor as the VALIANT Universe's version of Superman and it only gets worse.

Couldn't agree more. I remember my first thought when I saw an add for the Visitor........."A cape?!?!". The "Harbinger" was equally inappropriate.
Definitely.

The Visitor was VALIANT's attempt to be more like DC and Marvel by having a character with a mysterious past (Wolverine) who had mega super duper powers (like Superman).

That's not VALIANT at all.

manningfan

Post by manningfan »

Well, I am not sure about the Acclaim version of A&A, but I did enjoy the whole original series. They knew when it was time to end it, which is good. I was sad to see the book come to an end though. If they could bring it back the way that it was in the beginning, that would be awesome.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Ryan wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote: You're lucky.
Oh, come on.

if Baron's Archer & Armstrong wasn't good enough to succeed BWS's, then how is the version with the space ships better?

The first time I read the Eternal Warriors books I was really pi$$ed off about it. It was among the first VH2/3 books I read and it was before I became aware as to why so many changes had to be made. I went back and reread several of those books including the EWs books and had a whole new appreciation for them. Besides, a previously unmentioned time-traveling immortal brother appearing as early as AA#8 isn't that big of a leap from the VH2 version. Ivar as an immortal brother just never sat well with me anyway.

Getting off-topic here, but for you guys who haven't read the VH2/3 books.......remember, they were supposed to be different because they had to be. Enjoy them for what they are. Some of the VH1-redo's, such as the Solar one-shots, are actually very good. Some of the newer series like Dr Tomorrow and Q&W (both of which had nothing to do with VH1), were as good a read as you will find.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Ryan wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote: You're lucky.
Oh, come on.

They weren't spaceships. They were foldships.

And then there was the Anywhen Fold... the Goat ate that. :thumb:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

One of the things that *SQUEE* me off about EWs was making Aram the "Eternal Geomancer" or whatever it was called.

I hated that idea in Magnus and hated it even more in VH 2 (so much for being different, btw...)

The Geomancer concept was one of the more original and unique things that VALIANT ever did, and getting rid of it was idiotic.

It was like VH 2 not doing a Rai. That was another original and unique concept that didn't make the cut because the lead didn't have huge boobs... oh, wait a minute, he did after he was reinvented a NIO, urgh.
Second_Death wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Ryan wrote: :lol:
Oh, come on.

The first time I read the Eternal Warriors books I was really pi$$ed off about it. It was among the first VH2/3 books I read and it was before I became aware as to why so many changes had to be made. I went back and reread several of those books including the EWs books and had a whole new appreciation for them. Besides, a previously unmentioned time-traveling immortal brother appearing as early as AA#8 isn't that big of a leap from the VH2 version. Ivar as an immortal brother just never sat well with me anyway.

Getting off-topic here, but for you guys who haven't read the VH2/3 books.......remember, they were supposed to be different because they had to be. Enjoy them for what they are. Some of the VH1-redo's, such as the Solar one-shots, are actually very good. Some of the newer series like Dr Tomorrow and Q&W (both of which had nothing to do with VH1), were as good a read as you will find.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote:They weren't spaceships. They were foldships.

And then there was the Anywhen Fold... the Goat ate that. :thumb:
Heh

So the ships used technology beyond space travel... and that's better than Baron's run?

mavros
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by mavros »

IanAlexavier wrote:Well... can we have Unity if we didnt have time travel? I mean, if you can get to place outside of time, where other people from different times can get there.. should there be a way back home for each of those? And possibly a way to get to another time via that place???

Timewalker would need to have the right writer for sure..maybe not his own title, but maybe appearances..

Ivar is like a present that your not expecting. His character brings mystery to the story lines.. For the writers its a neat way to bring about a new plotline for the story..
But the way Unity was explained makes it something else other than time travel. I remember reading somewhere that explained it like a bike's wheel. The 'regular' time stream was like the outer edge of the wheel; the location where the story happens is the centre of the wheel. And the characters used the spokes of the wheel to get to the centre.

What Erica intended to do was destroy the edge of the wheel and have everyone live in the centre. Instead, what happened was the centre of the wheel was destroyed and Solar protected everyone to allow them to return to their approximate original time on the edge of the wheel. (This is all by memory by the way... so correct me if I'm wrong.)

With the destruction of the centre of the wheel, there shouldn't be any chance of time travel by anyone (well, except maybe for Solar).

For me, I think it's alright for a 'mega-event' every once in a while to involve time travel... but to have a character whose whole premise is to travel in time and give that character a regular book? It would be detrimental to continuity in the long haul.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Trinity Angels

Ryan
Re:

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:29:57 pm
Ryan wrote:I agree with those MOTA, except I think Geomancer could be really cool if done right (no Clay Mchenry of coarse).

I would also add Psi-Lords, H.A.R.D. Corps, and Armorines.
I agree that a Geomancer series can be done right. The original version of Secret Weapons was more of a Geomancer book that proved that Geoff can carry his own series.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Geoff comic with Livewre and Stronghold. They were the only aspect of Secret Weapons that I liked. It was having the other heroes in it that I didn't care for.
I'd love to see that book.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Re:

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:43:20 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:29:57 pm
Ryan wrote:I agree with those MOTA, except I think Geomancer could be really cool if done right (no Clay Mchenry of coarse).

I would also add Psi-Lords, H.A.R.D. Corps, and Armorines.
I agree that a Geomancer series can be done right. The original version of Secret Weapons was more of a Geomancer book that proved that Geoff can carry his own series.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Geoff comic with Livewre and Stronghold. They were the only aspect of Secret Weapons that I liked. It was having the other heroes in it that I didn't care for.
I'd love to see that book.
It could be cool, yeah.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic: