Consistency. Stability.

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Re: Consistency. Stability.

Post by geocarr »

lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I was about 5 months behind on reading VEI... I now have only Imperium and Divinity.
Saving the best for last, are we? :wink:
I actually did.

(Except I haven't read any Q&W since Delinquents - not sure if I ever will. I hate those characters.)
Have you read the original Priest and Bright Q&W run? If so, what's your opinion of it?
***Support your local farmers!***

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I was about 5 months behind on reading VEI... I now have only Imperium and Divinity.
I actually did.

(Except I haven't read any Q&W since Delinquents - not sure if I ever will. I hate those characters.)
Have you read the original Priest and Bright Q&W run? If so, what's your opinion of it?
I was pretty much out of comics (other than Neil Gaiman stuff) by the time it was published. I didn't get back into them until 2012 when Valiant relaunched.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

lorddunlow wrote:
geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I actually did.

I was pretty much out of comics (other than Neil Gaiman stuff) by the time it was published. I didn't get back into them until 2012 when Valiant relaunched.
I would highly recommend it. Priest really sets up the characters and the dynamics between them beautifully. Reading Priest can sometimes be laborious mentally but the payoff at the end is usually worth it. I think the original Priest run is a must read to develop a true appreciation for the characters. Plus I like to laugh out loud and the original series made me do that, a lot.
***Support your local farmers!***

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by hunter_peterson »

geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I actually did.

I would highly recommend it. Priest really sets up the characters and the dynamics between them beautifully. Reading Priest can sometimes be laborious mentally but the payoff at the end is usually worth it. I think the original Priest run is a must read to develop a true appreciation for the characters. Plus I like to laugh out loud and the original series made me do that, a lot.
Yeah, it really is a classic. It's not perfect, but it is imperfect in different ways to the current version, so it's still worth a look for people who aren't fond of VEI Q&W.

Woody, for example, is the voice of reason in addition to the wise-*SQUEE*- and his characterization sells it perfectly. It makes Quantum both the straight man and the wildcard, which makes for a very interesting and unusual dynamic. Everyone who is recurring is a well-rendered character. The humor comes from their interactions, but they're still serious characters that you root for and care about. And you get to see how they missed the chance to be a part of the real Valiant Universe, which makes the current version's presence more pleasing.

So, I'd definitely consider reading it. As a Valiant fan it's definitely a classic. :thumb:

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I actually did.

Maybe this is why I don't appreciate or care for the VEI Q&W series. I never read the originals and have nothing else to go on.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

blujay
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2011
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by blujay »

geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
geocarr wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I actually did.

QFT

OG Q&W is hilarious, specifically the fist 3 arcs as it starts getting a little (too) dark around issue 12 or so.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

If anyone listened to OTV Wondercon after dark

I found it interesting that they talked about FVL going through how time travel works in the Valiant Universe

and also how they will work out any inconsistencies - They talk about how the writer retreats are about how to solve these problems

Just speculating a bit - but it sounds to me like FVL might have a handle on how to work out inconsistencies with Eternal Warrior

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

bygranddesign wrote:If anyone listened to OTV Wondercon after dark

I found it interesting that they talked about FVL going through how time travel works in the Valiant Universe

and also how they will work out any inconsistencies - They talk about how the writer retreats are about how to solve these problems

Just speculating a bit - but it sounds to me like FVL might have a handle on how to work out inconsistencies with Eternal Warrior
I may have to give that a listen. I've been concerned about this since FVL tweeted about researching multiple theories about how time travel might work and talking about incorporating several. I find that problematic because all of the time travel theories I'm familiar with are mutually exclusive ideas.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

bygranddesign wrote:If anyone listened to OTV Wondercon after dark

I listened for the first half but I guess I missed Fred. Glad to know it's on their radar.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

lorddunlow wrote:To further elaborate my point: When Bloodshot #0 came out, there were lots of negative comments about the story not making any sense and only raising more questions rather than providing a straightforward origin for Bloodshot. I made it very clear that I thought the mystery was the best thing about Bloodshot and that #0 was one of my favorite issues to that point. It still is in my top 5. Mystery and intrigue are great devices to hook readers. (Chew with all of its hilarity still has several mysteries that were started in the first few issues that still haven't been wrapped up - I love that.)

The issues with The Valiant and the way EW ended in Pak's series don't seem like intrigue. They seem like poor writing/poor editorial decision making, at least right now. We have never been told that Pak's EW stories will ever be finished (I assume after this long, they will not). There are tons of "unfinished" bits in the VEI universe. The more I read, the more it seems (emphasizing this is how it seems to me a reader and fan of the universe) that VEI has a throw a bunch of things at the wall and see what sticks approach to the overall VEI universe. Now, I realize that may not be the case, but if I as a rabid Valiant fan can't understand what is canon and what is not as well as not know which stories will be continuing or which they have abandoned, then how do we expect a casual reader to get it?

If one day VEI answers a bunch of the questions in a wonderful way, then I'll be glad. But when will that happen? I have no assurance that it ever will. I'm starting to not want to be invested in some of these characters because I'm afraid VEI will just pull the rug out from under them (and I'm not referencing Kay's death here - I'm talking about The Bleeding Monk, Kara, Generation Zero, Future EW and granddaughter, EW's children, Shadowman, Alyssa, etc. etc.)

I understand that VEI has limited resources at the time, but I'm hoping that influx of money is used to increase the line (if they insist on filling so many slots with characters I don't like - Q&W). I want the characters I like. I realize they can't design their entire output around my tastes, but I'm pretty close to dropping a bunch of titles because I can't spend money on books I don't like.
Very well said, and sums up many of my feelings about VEI's direction. Some recent decisions make me consider giving up on books. I had that feeling before about Asmus', but didn't follow through. Things feel increasingly derailed, especially in light of The Valiant, and the way that Jack Boniface was mishandled in my view.

I want VEI to recognise that they have some great core concepts. Tearing them up is unnecessary I feel, yet they are contriving to do just that. It just splits the readership with each re-imagining (look at DC's Hawkman LoSH for a perfect example of how disastrous and toxic this can prove to be). Have recognisable core character concepts and tell good stories with them. If a writer feels unable to do so without destroying the character first, then that is a short-coming of the creator not the character in my view.

:|
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

lorddunlow wrote:...This was my theory, too, but I have a feeling Lemire is going to throw that idea away to tell the story he wants.

In my opinion (as jmatt mentioned) VEI editorial is letting the individual authors have too much control and as such there is no cohesion with the characters in the universe.
This echoes my feelings about both Kindt and Lemire, and Milligan in his Shadowman run also.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

The more I think about it, the more mis-steps I think VEI are starting to take. Things felt more consistent in year one than lately. I am not talking continuity snafus (they really don't bother me), nor the regular typos, but the mis-steps in how I feel an increasing number of characters are handled.

I know that this may be a minority view, but it is a growing concern unfortunately, and has led to me buying some issues I have been very disappointed with.