READ ME FIRST - The Message Board "RE-BOOT" 2/4/04

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

R Daneel wrote:Greg, is it a manual process for you to update those lists? I have one to send in that I will probably update again when I go through the rest of my comics with a fine tooth comb, so if it is something you spend a lot of time on, I'll wait and do one.
It's not 100% manual... it's about 5% manual.
It only takes about 10 minutes to run the updates on the inventory lists...
whether that's for one collector's update, or ten...
It takes another 10 minutes to upload the database...

Usually I do an update either once every two weeks,
or when I have four or five sitting in my inbox, whichever comes first.

I also redo the numbers every time the price guide is updated.

Go ahead and send yours, and tell me to label it "partial"...
then you can send your full list later and tell me to drop the "partial" tag.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

<GASP!!!!...PANT, WHEEEEEEZE> Oh my GAWD! Talk about WITHDRAWALS! I was totally LOST last week without the Valiant forum! Plus, I lost what I'm sure was a CHOICE response to my last post, and I never even saw it! Maybe that's a good thing. ;)
<p>
And heck...I was a Robert Slayer! <sobs quietly in the corner><p>Thank you THANK YOU for coming back!

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

greg wrote:Go ahead and send yours, and tell me to label it "partial"...
Cool ... I'm anxious to see where mine stacks up on the big list. I'm, missing so much of the Acclaim universe and I have none of the VVSS issues, so I'm sure I a ways down.

Searching through some stuff like that, I found a poorly bagged run of Shadowman and X-O comics, 1 through 20ish, looks like runs I bought from someone that didn't want them anymore or something. Nice to get those kinds of surprises!

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

R Daneel wrote:
greg wrote:Go ahead and send yours, and tell me to label it "partial"...
Cool ... I'm anxious to see where mine stacks up on the big list. I'm, missing so much of the Acclaim universe and I have none of the VVSS issues, so I'm sure I a ways down.

Searching through some stuff like that, I found a poorly bagged run of Shadowman and X-O comics, 1 through 20ish, looks like runs I bought from someone that didn't want them anymore or something. Nice to get those kinds of surprises!
Yeah I know I love waiting to see wear my collection stacks up...I am at the bottom of the board right now but I hope to move up with this next update...I really am only going for a complete set of regular issues so I will never be up there with the BSD's but I will be happy to have a complete set and not be at the bottom. Also I do not feel that bad because I pretty much started from stratch with this collection and think that I ahve moved up the list pretty quickly and I now in position to pass someone...That inventory thing is awesome and one of my favorite features of this site...Also it spurrs me keep buying issues so that I can do another update..the sad thing is that i am planning a trip to vegas and might have to cut back on my comic spending that is unless "DADDY NEEDS A NEW MAGNUS #0!!!" works out for me :wink:

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by qrnd »

I think most of us who post here have a complete set of the regular VH1 issues. But the VVSS issues just dont hold the same pull as collecting the golds. I may eventually break down and finish aquiring those, but until then I think Id score nice and low on the inventory list.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

uruchuu wrote:I think most of us who post here have a complete set of the regular VH1 issues. But the VVSS issues just dont hold the same pull as collecting the golds. I may eventually break down and finish aquiring those, but until then I think Id score nice and low on the inventory list.

Reall? I would think that most people on here do not have a coplete set of VH1 regulars. I know that I dont and I am a good couple of hundred issues away from it...I would think that most people probably have about 1/2 of the regular issues...I know 700 did not sound like a lot to me when I started but reality is starting to sink in on how many issues that really is.

qrnd

Post by qrnd »

I withdraw my opinion then. I know it took me a while to track them all down, but I had presumed a lot of the participants here had their collections since the original release. The hardest ones to find, I have found, are the last few issues of titles such as X-O, and Solar.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Hmmm..the quote button doesn't seem to work for me, and I'm too lazy to cut n' paste.

Looks like my HTML isn't working either?

My real question is...would it be a bad time to mention I have almost everything except a few of the choicest variants? No? Ok, I won't then. :)

But hey....I started 15 years (has it been THAT long??) ago, so I've got quite a head start on most. Heck, you're bound to have SOME good stuff when you've got 650 long boxes full of stuff.

Anyone wanna buy it all? ;)

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

Actually, I jumped on the Valiant bandwagon months too late. I am JUST getting those early issues NOW. In fact, I just got Solar 1-9 yesterday in the mail... I have NEVER read them. Kind of like a Valiant time capsule.
You're in for a treat. I read the full story for the first time a year ago and I was blown away. The stories still are some of the best around in comics.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

COMICKINGS
Account inactive by user's request

Post by COMICKINGS »

Hello again everybody.It looks like the hard work of Greg and the support of everybody on these boards is helping Valiant getting some good attention again.It was only a matter of time.Now maybe with the buzz going on,somebody will take a chance and we might see some of these characters get back in print!

COMICKINGS

Post by COMICKINGS »

Let some new blood put a spin on 'em.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

said this in another thread, but I'll say it again...if they don't follow what came before, they won't be worth the paper and ink...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

COMICKINGS

Post by COMICKINGS »

If Shooter came back,everybody would expect too much.It would be nice to see him recapture the spirit of the early stuff but it's like breaking up with a girl and getting back together some time later...BAD IDEA.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Already back up to 65 registered users in just a few days.

CLA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by CLA »

Thank the Lord. The forum is back. Hey, all. I got some new Valiant books and I've to catch up on the reading. And I'm extremely glad that I have a place to post my comments on them. Greg, I can honeslty say that this is one of the finest sites on the net.

Now, gentlemen, let us raise our glasses...To Greg, the website, Valiant, and fans everywhere...a toast!

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

Knightt_333 wrote:OK, now that my collection is getting up there I would like to post it. Never having done this before, how do I get it posted here ? (and please dont laugh at me when you find I only have ONE Gold book)
I'll answer in case you stumbled upon the solution yet...

1) Go to the Inventories page. Here is where you'll find the rankings and the instructions, at the bottom.

2) Download the Valiant Comics inventory list and the Acclaim Comics inventory list.

3) Comics are listed in alphabetical order (if I remember correctly) and they have a number to the right - by default a zero. Change the zero to the number of copies of each issues you have in your collection.

4) Save the results, and send the updated files to Greg. He'll upload when he gets a few of them queued up.

I'm doing the same right now K333, so everyone will be able to laugh at both of our collections soon!

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Thanks R Daneel!

I had meant to answer that question, but totally forgot! :oops:

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

Knightt_333 wrote:(remember, no laughing at my ONE Gold issue)
It surely won't be me laughing ... I'm very humbled by what is out there already.

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

Oh ... I have *no* VVSS issues, is that laughable??

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

I have said it before and I will probably say it again, but I LOVE the inventory page. It is awesome...and I finally got out of the basement and moved up to 75....wooohoooo :D and I am only 3 points from passing the next guy....now I know that I will never be number one and really do not care to be....well that is not true....I do not care to be number one for that kind of scratch...nothing like making collecting comics competitive to get those collecting juices flowing....I hope you guys get your colections in but I hope that they do not knock me down

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

I really need to get busy and get my inventory complete. I've only got one more box to go through, and then a large stack of commons to inventory, then I should be able to submit. I know when I finally do, I'll be watching the list like a hawk waiting for an update, and I dread that. :)

willyt
oh good we are back

Post by willyt »

thanks greg for getting the web site back on. i miss this this place. i have been busy moving and trying to work on my relationship. but it is good to see some old people re-registering and so low and the post rating.

thanks again
will

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

R Daneel wrote:I really need to get busy and get my inventory complete. I've only got one more box to go through, and then a large stack of commons to inventory, then I should be able to submit. I know when I finally do, I'll be watching the list like a hawk waiting for an update, and I dread that. :)
For the record, I'm in that mode now, and have been for about a week or so? I think if anyone smells anything burning, it is my F5 key in the inventories area.

:oops:

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

:wink:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Oh Hey Greg thanks for getting the board back up :thumb:

-Brian