What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Cyberstrike »

Deity: Requiem and Echolands.

Been thinking I can dig them out maybe Spider-Girl and the MC-2 line of course I need to find them and finish Spider-Girl I know I stopped buying it around #75 but it's been so long and I'm not sure if I want to chase down 25+ issues due to finding them and money issues.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Just read the first hard back of something is killing the children

I loved the story. Artwork was meh

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

The second collection of The New Teen Titans. The first eight issues were extraordinary, so I'm excited to see what 9-16 have to offer. Also picked up the new Spawn/Batman collection of the 90s crossovers: the DC-published one is gutter trash, but I actually dig the Miller/McFarlane team-up knowing it's in the DKR universe.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

TronNerd82
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2021
Favorite character: Jack Boniface
Favorite title: Shadowman (90s)
Favorite writer: Bob Hall
Favorite artist: Bob Hall

Post by TronNerd82 »

I mostly have been reading Shadowman, Deadworld, Cerebus, and Batman
Remember kids, sniffing glue will not get your parents back together!

corey

Post by corey »

TronNerd82 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47:09 am I mostly have been reading Shadowman, Deadworld, Cerebus, and Batman
Is cerebus any good? I have never read it

TronNerd82

Post by TronNerd82 »

corey wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:43:30 am
TronNerd82 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47:09 am I mostly have been reading Shadowman, Deadworld, Cerebus, and Batman
It's good for the first 90-100 issues, after which it gets weird. It's almost as if you're watching the progression of Dave Sim's mental breakdown in comic form. After a certain point, he started injecting his controversial political views into the stories, which for most people is the main reason to read it. For the best possible experience in reading Cerebus, I'd recommend stopping after the Church and State storyline unless you're intrigued to read further, but that's just my opinion. You may not even like Cerebus if you read it, as it's not for everybody (there's a lot of talking, mostly about political issues within the comic's universe). If you're interested, check it out. Your best bet, unless you're made of money, is to get the trade paperbacks instead of the individual issues.

Hope this helps.

corey

Post by corey »

TronNerd82 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:06:26 pm
corey wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:43:30 am
It's good for the first 90-100 issues, after which it gets weird. It's almost as if you're watching the progression of Dave Sim's mental breakdown in comic form. After a certain point, he started injecting his controversial political views into the stories, which for most people is the main reason to read it. For the best possible experience in reading Cerebus, I'd recommend stopping after the Church and State storyline unless you're intrigued to read further, but that's just my opinion. You may not even like Cerebus if you read it, as it's not for everybody (there's a lot of talking, mostly about political issues within the comic's universe). If you're interested, check it out. Your best bet, unless you're made of money, is to get the trade paperbacks instead of the individual issues.

Hope this helps.
Hmmm I have never been s fan of political comics lol..I might buy the first tpb then.. thanks for the info

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I would love to be captivated by a comic again........

I haven't read a book from my order in probably since November of last year and the only two books I was truly looking forward to had monkey wrenches - I missed an issue or two of Silvestri's Batman Joker mini, and Frank Miller's Ronin 2 has come out once in a blue moon so I haven't read either of them. :lol:

Cantwell's Iron Man run was a lot of fun and back in the day it would have been a "good run" but now it's "just another volume". I haven't read a single issue of the new Iron Man volume yet. :lol:

Actually... now that I think about it that November thing would be true if it weren't for the recent series of Ron Marz/Ron Lim "Rebirth" mini-series that have been coming out. I've read those. It's basically a series of mini-series featuring old school Marvel cosmic characters and if you string them all together it's basically like an ongoing series. -sigh- Volume-by-volume facepalm

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:44:52 pm
grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:09:51 pm
grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:31:57 am
tarheelmarine wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:32:19 am
grendeljd wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:00:39 am
tarheelmarine wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:39:53 pm
Junkyard Joe was a good read.
I picked that up but haven’t read it yet - looking forward to it though!
What did you think?
Still haven’t read it yet - my copy got misplaced in my basement last month while I was working on purging out a lot of (non-collectibles) clutter. Still haven’t found it, but I did pick up the second issue anyway - I’m assuming I’ll enjoy it enough to keep reading it. :)
And now I’ve picked up issue three of Junkyard Joe without yet reading any of them :lol:
Maybe we need to start a "What comics are you NOT reading now (and why)?" thread?
I did end up finally reading that whole series and really enjoyed it. And I actually began reading it before the whole 6 issues were out too, haha! Looking forward to more of the books in that little micro-verse line. Not sure what’s coming next though…
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

One of my favourite claims to fame is my appearance as a zombie in issue #6 of the image-era Deadworld series (c2005?) - I’m the poor guy who gets his dead head lopped off by The Dead Killer! It’s not just my likeness either - it’s my name in there too!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

corey wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:02:48 pm Just read the first hard back of something is killing the children

I loved the story. Artwork was meh
I still haven’t checked out that series but I’ve become a big fan of Tynions stories lately. He really fleshes out very believable human characters with substance to their personalities even if they’re not playing big roles.

The Nice House On The Lake was great (although I’m still missing the final issue), and I am really-really-really enjoying w0rld tr33 so far as well. Can’t recommend that series enough to anyone who is a fan of quality horror comics that have a dash of sci-fi about them.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Started reading one of Alien Books' free online stories.....

MEGA by Salvador Sanz.

It's some sort of mystery horror story with elements from Godzilla. The artwork, at times, is breathtaking. Parts of the story are set in Montevideo, Uruguay, and Sanz is really killing it (pun intended) when it all goes up in flames.

It's an intriguing read because of the mystery around a small girl having dreams that seem to be the key to solve the ongoing drama.

Just like Scorched Earth, there are several pages without narrative or dialogue. Of course, battle scenes between 2 epic monsters don't need much narrative and those monsters aren't of the talkative kind either. You feel like the main characters watching the scene (on TV) thinking "what the heck am I actually looking at here? WTF!?!" Maybe what's really missing is some sound effects -- hard to imagine these creatures don't generate any noise at all.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:18:37 pm I would love to be captivated by a comic again........
I still feel a similar fatigue for new comics in general but there have been a few bright spots that have started rejuvenating my interest lately…

The once-again recently relaunched Incredible Hulk has actually hooked me in again - the return to a darker horror-tinged vibe is right up my alley and I was already a big fan of Nic Kleins art, which has been a treat on the title. It feels like a proper spiritual successor to the Immortal Hulk run too, after whatever that last batch of idiocy with the Hulk space ship thingie was. Even the Hulk character in-story is extremely angry about that plotline, haha!

The only element of this volume that is a mild disappointment to me is the treatment of one aspect of the Hulk persona so far - namely his multiple personality disorder. This tale *seems* to be another one that is treating the character like there is only Bruce Banner & “The” Hulk, no others like Joe Fixit or Maestro or the “Devil” hulk as an example. As far as I’m concerned the multi-persona aspect of The Hulk has become an intrinsic part of the character and I am not a fan of stories ignoring it.

I’ve also been enjoying the current Ghost Rider series, although I have fallen behind in reading recent issues - my shop didn’t get copies of #12 at the time and I haven’t gotten around to picking up a copy of it yet… and I unintentionally hit the pause button on reading the series there despite having all subsequent issues up to #18 & the annual, *and* the Wolverine crossover, lol.

Those are the only “Big Two” titles that hold any interest for me though. Generally not very excited about a lot of “corporate” comics anymore, even though I remain a fan of Marvel.
IMJ post wrote: Cantwell's Iron Man run was a lot of fun and back in the day it would have been a "good run" but now it's "just another volume". I haven't read a single issue of the new Iron Man volume yet. :lol:
I must say, as a fellow Iron Man fan, I tried out the Cantwell run for an issue or two when it started, but there was nothing there that compelled me to stick with it. At the time I think I hadn’t read a new Iron Man comic since the “Marvel Now” era of 2012-ish. He used to be a top favourite character of mine and I still currently have all but issue 55 of the first/original run of the title. But I sympathize with your disappointment, it sucks when your favourite thing is no longer fun or enjoyable in any way.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

But as an addendum to the above post - there are other bright spots of good stuff that have me enthused.

The two things I am most excited about currently are the image series w0rld tr33 as I mentioned in a previous post, and - surprisingly - the new “Energon Universe”/Transformers launch under Kirkman & Skybound. I had forgotten that he took over the licensing rights, and didn’t realize it had already kicked off/started up with that Void Rivals series. Just this past week I decided to get a digital copy of Void Rivals #1, and it immediately inspired me to pick up print editions of Void Rivals 1-4 & the new Transformers #1… I have to say it took me by surprise how refreshingly FUN it all was, and I instantly fell in love with the whole vibe of it.

Void Rivals is very enjoyable and I love that it’s a whole new comic that has nothing to do with TF but is incorporated into the same setting quite well. The little connections to TF lore have been a really fun bonus there too.

And with just one issue of Transformers, I felt a connection to my 12 year old self in the most positive rush of nostalgic emotions that I’ve felt in a really long time.

This series is retelling the story from the beginning with very deep inspiration coming most directly from the original G1 era, but it is hitting the high notes of that source material while changing some of the circumstances in just enough small but smart ways that it doesn’t alienate me or feel foreign to that G1 essence. I’m hooked.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58:57 pm The once-again recently relaunched Incredible Hulk has actually hooked me in again - the return to a darker horror-tinged vibe is right up my alley and I was already a big fan of Nic Kleins art, which has been a treat on the title. It feels like a proper spiritual successor to the Immortal Hulk run too, after whatever that last batch of idiocy with the Hulk space ship thingie was. Even the Hulk character in-story is extremely angry about that plotline, haha!
I had curiosity about the Immortal Hulk but I was too late getting on board. I wound up picking up the first issue as it felt like it could be a "Hulk story key" from a renowned volume, but I haven't read it. Maybe someday in trade or omni or something like that.
grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58:57 pmAs far as I’m concerned the multi-persona aspect of The Hulk has become an intrinsic part of the character and I am not a fan of stories ignoring it.
Hm! That's a cool nugget.

You know, I really only ever followed the Hulk for a short while during Dale Keown's run back in the day. Since then I put together both that and the McFarlane run in back issues (which I suppose should actually all be referred to as "The Peter David Run") but that is basically the limits of my exposure to the Hulk books, other than an issue or two where Quasar shows up. :lol:
grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58:57 pmI must say, as a fellow Iron Man fan, I tried out the Cantwell run for an issue or two when it started, but there was nothing there that compelled me to stick with it.
Yeah you know I felt the same way. But then I had several issues in and we got far enough into the Hellcat thing that it became clear that Cantwell wasn't denigrating the character for the benefit of anyone who wasn't a white male. This was the zeitgeist of the moment, of course, so once that guard was down the book became a lot of fun. I'd say that although it's not overly relevant to the Marvel U, and not much happens with it by way of "key" book or 1st appearances, it's actually the most leisurely and readable Iron Man run to come out probably since the Knauf's were doing their thing with it.

If you have Cantwell's entire volume either in monthlies or in trade then give it a shot - you'd probably just plow through it in one sitting.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Anybody read the Dark Horse Creepy revival and archives of old Creepy Comics? There is a pretty good deal on Humble Bundle, and I'm thinking of getting it?

This seems like something grendeljd would have interest in.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Guess I'll find out for free. Library card for the win!

Hoopla has the whole run. Horror comics for Halloween!

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17:21 pm Anybody read the Dark Horse Creepy revival and archives of old Creepy Comics? There is a pretty good deal on Humble Bundle, and I'm thinking of getting it?

This seems like something grendeljd would have interest in.

Yes, that would be right up my alley, sort of (I love old horror anthology comics but I also have a bit of an aversion to comics in magazine size. Which probably sounds ridiculous, but I don’t want to store them!)… I haven’t checked them out.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:49:25 pm
grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58:57 pm The once-again recently relaunched Incredible Hulk has actually hooked me in again - the return to a darker horror-tinged vibe is right up my alley and I was already a big fan of Nic Kleins art, which has been a treat on the title. It feels like a proper spiritual successor to the Immortal Hulk run too, after whatever that last batch of idiocy with the Hulk space ship thingie was. Even the Hulk character in-story is extremely angry about that plotline, haha!
I had curiosity about the Immortal Hulk but I was too late getting on board. I wound up picking up the first issue as it felt like it could be a "Hulk story key" from a renowned volume, but I haven't read it. Maybe someday in trade or omni or something like that.
Even if you’re not heavily invested in the Hulk as a character, this story overall is really top notch. There is a richly satisfying complexity to Al Ewing’s writing - not that it’s too intellectual or high brow, but he is able to weave really awesome sci-fi & horror genre ideas in with characters and scenarios that have deep emotional range and complexity to them - the kind that make them feel very realistic within the fantasy & make you care about what is happening to them.

There is also a Leader storyline in there that I seriously think is the greatest Leader story of all time, bar none.
grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58:57 pmAs far as I’m concerned the multi-persona aspect of The Hulk has become an intrinsic part of the character and I am not a fan of stories ignoring it.
Hm! That's a cool nugget.

You know, I really only ever followed the Hulk for a short while during Dale Keown's run back in the day. Since then I put together both that and the McFarlane run in back issues (which I suppose should actually all be referred to as "The Peter David Run") but that is basically the limits of my exposure to the Hulk books, other than an issue or two where Quasar shows up. :lol:
Both excellent portions of Peter David’s run for sure (I dearly love that whole range of the title from McFarlane up to the Gary Frank drawn run) - but you gotta get the Jeff Purves issues in between them sometime too. Those issues really flesh out the grey hulk/Joe Fixit persona, which is a very important element ahead of the Keown era, where the “Professor” Hulk persona emerges (at the time, it was thought to be a fusion of the “original” classic hulk and Joe Fixit’s personas).

There is far more to the Hulk in his series than casual fans realize, and it’s why he is one of my top favourite superhero characters - the dumb childish hulk persona is certainly still what most people think of in pop culture but that one persona is a pale shade of what he really is overall. As I said before, I am always disappointed when new writers come in with a story that ignores much of that background texture.
grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58:57 pmI must say, as a fellow Iron Man fan, I tried out the Cantwell run for an issue or two when it started, but there was nothing there that compelled me to stick with it.
Yeah you know I felt the same way. But then I had several issues in and we got far enough into the Hellcat thing that it became clear that Cantwell wasn't denigrating the character for the benefit of anyone who wasn't a white male. This was the zeitgeist of the moment, of course, so once that guard was down the book became a lot of fun. I'd say that although it's not overly relevant to the Marvel U, and not much happens with it by way of "key" book or 1st appearances, it's actually the most leisurely and readable Iron Man run to come out probably since the Knauf's were doing their thing with it.

If you have Cantwell's entire volume either in monthlies or in trade then give it a shot - you'd probably just plow through it in one sitting.
I think I only have the first issue of his run - but I’ll certainly consider picking up digital editions to read next time I'm hunting for something new to try out. Thanks man!

TronNerd82

Post by TronNerd82 »

grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:54:59 am
One of my favourite claims to fame is my appearance as a zombie in issue #6 of the image-era Deadworld series (c2005?) - I’m the poor guy who gets his dead head lopped off by The Dead Killer! It’s not just my likeness either - it’s my name in there too!
If you don't mind me asking, were you part of or associated with the crew that made the comic? Either way, it's kinda cool to be immortalized in one of the best zombie comics around.

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

Batman City of Madness looks promising so far

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Our Bones Dust by Ben Stenbeck, published by Image.

This is the kind of modern comic that gets me super excited and passionate about comics and their full potential again.

I’m already a huge fan of Ben’s work in the Mignola-verse corner of comics, so I was really anticipating this new title of his own 1st personal creation. It didn’t disappoint - it’s a fantastic, fully realized and self-contained world that is a wonderful mix of horror, mad-max post-apocalyptic wastelands and high concept sci-fi aliens. It’s only a shame that this series is just gonna be 4 issues long.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

TronNerd82 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:07:58 pm
grendeljd wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:54:59 am
If you don't mind me asking, were you part of or associated with the crew that made the comic? Either way, it's kinda cool to be immortalized in one of the best zombie comics around.
I don’t mind the asking in the least - sorry I took so long to reply! I was not associated with the creative team at all, I just happened to write a few fan letters to the title at the time and randomly won a contest to have my likeness included in that one issue. I also took advantage of the opportunity and got a pin-up of my own art published in the back of the same book too, so it was a doubly special occasion in the end! :)

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I've been enjoying keeping up with the GHOST MACHINE line of comics that began with GEIGER & Junkyard Joe, and the most recent newer titles have been very good so far as well. REDCOAT was my favourite over ROOK: Exodus, but that one was enjoyable as well.

The concept for ROOK felt a tad forced but still entertaining and the art by Jason Fabok was top notch. The main characters work for a planetary terraforming company where they for some reason have to control various animal classes via a high tech helmet... but the terraforming engines broke down on the planet Exodus and they are dealing with a bunch of unusual calamity as a result of that.

Bryan Hitch is at the top of his form on Redcoat, and the premise of that one is a fun twist on the Immortal Hero concept [like Highlander or Eternal Warrior], where the main character is more of a cowardly rogue instead of a grand hero, but the humour is just right and the title promises to set up more of the key reasons for the "UNNAMED" connected universe they're building.