first time selling on eBay

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
first time selling on eBay

Post by Elveen »

So I hope this is the right forum for this.....

I am going to sell some items on eBay, I have never done it before, so I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with....

first... shpping....

1) is there a way to know how much to charge for shipping with out going down to the post office and weighing out every box?

2) do you charge anything for the packaging... I don't have any packaging materials (I have boxes)....

fees.... can any one easily explain how the fees work?

and Paypal.... do I pay a fee when I get paid from someone's account...

I have to sell some stuff.... need more VALIANTS

:thumb:

thanks ahead of time for your help.....

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

As I didn't read any of that, understand that you must: "Screw unto others before they screw you over."

:twisted: :thumb:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: first time selling on eBay

Post by magnusr »

Elveen wrote:So I hope this is the right forum for this.....

I am going to sell some items on eBay, I have never done it before, so I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with....
Haven't sold anything myself, but bought often enough to have an inkling about your questions.
first... shpping....

1) is there a way to know how much to charge for shipping with out going down to the post office and weighing out every box?
In theory the postage calculator on USPS's home page should do the trick. In reality I have seen countless cases of sellers carefully getting a quote and then in the end being charged something completely different (sometimes more, sometimes less). I have also seen identical packages with very different postage.
2) do you charge anything for the packaging... I don't have any packaging materials (I have boxes)....
Some sellers charge a little, many don't.
fees.... can any one easily explain how the fees work?
No. Nobody can explain that. Seems there are fees for everything on eBay. For starting the listing, for having a reserve, for the final price.
and Paypal.... do I pay a fee when I get paid from someone's account...
Yes, details depend on your type of account and if I've understood correctly also on where the buyer is. I've heard figures ranging from 2% to 5%.
I have to sell some stuff.... need more VALIANTS

thanks ahead of time for your help.....
See what you mean. I might go down that road myself.

Good luck.

/Magnus

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

Use pictures

Type a detailed description

Accept PayPal

End your auctions on Sundays at around 8pm

Use priority shipping.... (boxes are free from the post office)

Only ship within the US.... (custom's fees are a beotch to pay)

Good luck...!!!!

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

I use flat shipping rates based on the # of books in a listing. If you don't have a scale, put together a couple of sample shipments and have them weighed at your post office. Use these sample weights as your guide to set your shipping fees by averaging the weight. Whatever you do, don't set your fee so low that it is more trouble than its worth.

Accepting paypal is a must and it makes shipping EASY. Good luck :thumb:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

BodaZoffa wrote:Only ship within the US.... (custom's fees are a beotch to pay)
Agree on the pain of customs' fees, but that's not a concern for the seller. You should not miss out on any potential bidders by limiting your auctions.

/Magnus

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

BodaZoffa wrote:Use pictures

End your auctions on Sundays at around 8pm
Yes, i agree!

SnotDrip
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

magnusr wrote:
Agree on the pain of customs' fees, but that's not a concern for the seller. You should not miss out on any potential bidders by limiting your auctions.

/Magnus
Agreed

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

magnusr wrote:

/Magnus
And if you want to declare the value as a gift so the buyer doesn't pay any customs, you can do that too.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

i use that "i'm not a professional grader" thing in my auctions-which i put there just because i'm afraid of missing something that an anal retentive person will freak about. it's my way of warning people like that to stay away. i consider myself an 'honest' grader...but i don't have the time to go over the book with a fine tooth comb as some would like...i've only ever had one complaint, and neither of us was sure if it was a 'post office induced affliction'...

i usually at least glance at the book before i call it a priceless NM gem 10.0, but like i said, i'm no pro... :P

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Thanks everybody.....

unfortunately.... I am not selling any comics..... (well maybe just a few, the Jae Lee run on Namor.....)

I am selling "other" collectables so I can get more VALIANTS.....

some vintage Dungeon and Dragons books and modules, some old Dragon magizines, (and other role playing games) some sports cards (uncut sheets and an unopened box)... and some other random stuff....

(I just can't sell my old video game systems (Atari & Coleicovision) or some of my toys.... (Star Wars and Shogun Warriors) but I have thought about it)

I have debated on selling these or not.... but my VALIANT needs have taken over....

So I don't think that I have to worry aobut grading that much..... but thanks you very much for the help....

I am just lazy... and I am having trouble "getting over the hump" of doing it....

but I need to.... my budget does not equal my needs..... :lol: :thumb:

thanks again......

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

I may can help you out a little, bro.

Shipping: I charged a flat rate when I sold on EBay. That way, I covered packaging, postage, and a little extra for my time and effort (yes, there will be time and effort put in to this and it is worth an extra buck or so). But it's your choice.

I only shipped to the US. I did not want to bother with overseas.

Payment: I accepted Paypal and Money Orders and such. No time lost waiting for a check to clear. BTW: an e-check from Paypal can be cancelled from what I've seen, so what until those clear before shipping.

Listing: Http code is also used in you listing. So you can have 1 picture put up next to your listing AND put and image or two extra on the page for free if you can use http code (they have a guide on the website to help).

In fact, here it is:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/html_tips.html

They can also help make your letters different colors and sizes so it really sticks out. :thumb:

If there's anything else, feel free to give us a holler. Knightt should have even more tips.

OH, one more thing. Ebay doesn't charge as much for a $24.99 listing as a $25.00 listing. I don't know why, but that's what somebody here said once.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

If this isn't sufficiently answered by tonight, I will go into a ZWH-length post on how I run my auctions and try to answer your questions, Christian!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

I dont sell a lot on ebay. But it cost like 35 cent to list and than a % of what it sells for like 2 % . I charge any where from 2.50 to 4.50 shipping that way it pays for packaing materials. And paypal will take out there money too.

I sold a comic over seas once and dident charge anulf shipping and lost about 2 bucks on the deal. And thats not the way to make any money.So if your new all I can say is I wish you luck.

And I am not sure about any of this. :thumb:

David

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

slym2none wrote:If this isn't sufficiently answered by tonight, I will go into a ZWH-length post on how I run my auctions and try to answer your questions, Christian!

-slym

I'm waiting.... got my mouse ready.....

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Elveen wrote:
slym2none wrote:If this isn't sufficiently answered by tonight, I will go into a ZWH-length post on how I run my auctions and try to answer your questions, Christian!

-slym

I'm waiting.... got my mouse ready.....

Have a spare one handy.

oldjello
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai (before the Future Force)

Post by oldjello »

Be descriptive on your product.
List your shipping options.
List you payment preferences. Also list what you don't accept.
Give the buyer a reasonable amount of time to contact you after auction close (72 hours is reasonable).
Give a 10 day window for payments. 14 at the latest.
Be firm if you do not receive payment in a given amount of time.
Feedback means nothing.
97 out of 100 customers are there usually to buy.
Answer peoples' questions on your product.

List your item at .01 to save on fees.
Use a hosting site such as Photobucket to save yourself $$ on picture costs. There are plenty of html code sites to help you along on placing pics, or just ask one of us here as to do it. There's no need to line Ebays' pockets with more cash. They have enough.
I usually e-mail my buyer when I ship out the product. The post office can be your greatest friend and worst enemy. People have to remember that once it leaves your hands in shipping-- it's out of your control.

Encourage insurance. UPS isn't called United Package Smashers for nothing.

TearyBlues

Post by TearyBlues »

Good advice and got any more tips for the rest of us new to selling on Ebay?
You should join me on Listia (an Ebay alternative site that uses credits system instead of $$$) to get some cool free stuff plus a special bonus gift here: http://listia.com/signup/757766

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

TearyBlues wrote:Good advice and got any more tips for the rest of us new to selling on Ebay?
Try to end your auctions at a good time for buyers. Sunday evening is usually a decent time to get the most attention.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Yep, that pretty well covers it!

:lol:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

oldjello why .01 cents ? I usely start mine at .99 cents it cost the same for .0 to .99 dosent it ? Not sure I havent sold anything in months just asking.

David

oldjello

Post by oldjello »

dac55 wrote:oldjello why .01 cents ? I usely start mine at .99 cents it cost the same for .0 to .99 dosent it ? Not sure I havent sold anything in months just asking.

David
Neither have I. I think you may be right. Quite honestly, I think it's initial bids I'm looking for. Most of the time, you get just a ton of watchers. Since the gaming market and Star Wars market has pooped out, I have been dormant on Ebay. Plus, I have a bunch of records I need to move as well.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

oldjello wrote:
dac55 wrote:oldjello why .01 cents ? I usely start mine at .99 cents it cost the same for .0 to .99 dosent it ? Not sure I havent sold anything in months just asking.

David
Neither have I. I think you may be right. Quite honestly, I think it's initial bids I'm looking for. Most of the time, you get just a ton of watchers. Since the gaming market and Star Wars market has pooped out, I have been dormant on Ebay. Plus, I have a bunch of records I need to move as well.
Maybe its me but if I go throught the trouble to list something I'm going to at least 99 cents or I'll keep it. Just me.
I'm lazy myself. I hate trying to get everthing together to sell it. I had much rather trade. Thats what I like to do the best.

David

oldjello

Post by oldjello »

dac55 wrote:
oldjello wrote:

David
Maybe its me but if I go throught the trouble to list something I'm going to at least 99 cents or I'll keep it. Just me.
I'm lazy myself. I hate trying to get everthing together to sell it. I had much rather trade. Thats what I like to do the best.

David
I agree. I'm just too busy, noy lazy.

-Paul (a.k.a. BlackhawkPaul, Pauly G, oldjello, or communist, take your pick)