Magnus: Steel Nation better than Solar: Alpha and Omega?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

iccarus
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by iccarus »

I would have to lean more towards Steel Nation here, as Magnus remains one of my favorite titles.

But I can totally understand those who pick A&O. It's a great story as well.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

This is tough for me to decide..... I def. think that Mag. was more of a "hero" story, while Solar was an intellectual story.... both great.....

but if I had to pick only one Val. story line to have /read it would not be these two....

I might have to go with early A&A or early Shadowman (maybe cause I got in a bit late on the Val. U., so I never finished the early mag. and Solar runs until a few years ago)

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: Magnus: Steel Nation better than Solar: Alpha and Omega

Post by Lightning Strike »

[quote="2050"]I was reading through Wizard's Top 100 TPBs of all time recently and found that they ranked Magnus, Robot Figher: Steel Nation TPB above Solar, Man of the Atom: Alpha and Omega. The full list can be found here: http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics/ar ... t-831.html

How do you feel about that?

<B>I would have to say Solar - Alpha and Omega is better. I like Solar better than Magnus and I love BWS' artwork.</b>

*SQUEE*
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Magnus: Steel Nation better than Solar: Alpha and Omega

Post by *SQUEE* »

Lightning Strike wrote:
2050 wrote:I was reading through Wizard's Top 100 TPBs of all time recently and found that they ranked Magnus, Robot Figher: Steel Nation TPB above Solar, Man of the Atom: Alpha and Omega. The full list can be found here: http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics/ar ... t-831.html

How do you feel about that?

<B>I would have to say Solar - Alpha and Omega is better. I like Solar better than Magnus and I love BWS' artwork.</b>
Not totally sure what you are asking here. How do I feel about this list in general, or how do I feel about the two valiant comics on the list?

I for one have only read 6 out of the 100 on here.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I thought about this a little bit today.

I like Steel Nation the best out of all Pre-Unity Valiants. I like all of Pre-Unity Solar better than Magnus 5 - 14. Invasion was pretty cool, but the Xyrkol trilogy wasn't as good.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

myron wrote:Steel nation was an awesome action "flick"...Solar was the more cerebral, "ha! made you think" work...

IMO..

I always found Solar more haunting and in-depth read. :thumb:
Thats a good evaluation.

A&O is also my preferred read with Steel Nation and Invasion right behind. For me, Invasion may even be better than Steel Nation. The story of Japan's evolution, even by today's standards, is still ground-breaking material.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

First, I like many of you am glad that Wizard included Valiant. It's great to see that it is remembered.
I lean towards Steel Nation though because not only was it a great action story, but there were so many social issues being addressed in that series. Once again it was proven that a comic could address serious social issues and still be entertaining. One of my favorites of all time.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

tarheelmarine wrote:First, I like many of you am glad that Wizard included VALIANT. It's great to see that it is remembered.
I lean towards Steel Nation though because not only was it a great action story, but there were so many social issues being addressed in that series. Once again it was proven that a comic could address serious social issues and still be entertaining. One of my favorites of all time.
That's how I feel as well. This is a great thread. Makes us remember and think about the great early Valiant stories.

Alpha & Omega is also an intelligent story, but Steel nation is the one that makes you think the most.

/Magnus

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I've read both stories and honestly, there just isn't a way for me to choose one over the other. Except for maybe Unity, Rai #0 and the first 7 issues of Harbinger, this was Jim Shooters finest work. He may come off to some as a slightly self-certain jerk, but the man has talent, passion drive and I respect the heck out of what he has done within the industry. I don't hold anything against him, especially not since he left the audience of Comic Book READERS with some of the greatest stories the medium has ever seen. Magnus made you think about what made a being sentient while Solar made you think about, well, everything else. Both were fine reads and the art was great-yes, great-so, there is no choosing one over the other for me.

Ryan
Re: Magnus: Steel Nation better than Solar: Alpha and Omega?

Post by Ryan »

Steel Nation - Alpha & Omega - Harbinger 1-7 - Solar 1-10. In that order. All untouchable classics though.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:28:36 pm Steel Nation - Alpha & Omega - Harbinger 1-7 - Solar 1-10. In that order. All untouchable classics though.
Harbinger 1-7 are called Children of the Eight Day, I believe. Solar 1-4 are Second Death.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Imo Magnus 1-4 ain't got sh!t on Solar 1-10. They're both damn good, but Solar has this timeless, "epic" quality, that I have rarely seen replicated, and an awesome, unique gimmick with the Alpha & Omega inserts. Steel Nation, in comparison, is just a very well-told, fun cyber punk story.

I can't say I really understand the love for Harbinger, but different strokes for different folks I suppose.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:29:03 am Imo Magnus 1-4 ain't got sh!t on Solar 1-10. They're both damn good, but Solar has this timeless, "epic" quality, that I have rarely seen replicated, and an awesome, unique gimmick with the Alpha & Omega inserts. Steel Nation, in comparison, is just a very well-told, fun cyber punk story.

I can't say I really understand the love for Harbinger, but different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I adore Steel Nation. Loved Harbinger too until VEI did their version and bettered it. I wish we'd gotten to see what VEI would have done with Magnus and Solar. They made Rai and Divinity analogs and both the Kindt Rai epic and the Divinity trilogy are incredible. I bet they could have reached even greater heights with the actual Magnus and Solar characters and supporting cast.

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:20:44 am I adore Steel Nation. Loved Harbinger too until VEI did their version and bettered it. I wish we'd gotten to see what VEI would have done with Magnus and Solar. They made Rai and Divinity analogs and both the Kindt Rai epic and the Divinity trilogy are incredible. I bet they could have reached even greater heights with the actual Magnus and Solar characters and supporting cast.
^This
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431