Reading Marvel X-Men HC Collections

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
Reading Marvel X-Men HC Collections

Post by siren3-4 »

So I decided to just buy all the x books I want to read in HC format . . . Marvel did me a special favor and is releasing everything so far in oversize HC format, so I am a happy camper . . . :)

House of M (Collects HOUSE OF M #1-8, THE PULSE SPECIAL EDITION and the SECRETS OF THE HOUSE OF M handbook – plus all-new extras)

I have to say that I really liked this story . . . I haven't read any of the tie-in minis and I have no plans to . . . but I thought the story was pretty well done and was a lot of fun . . . I felt so bad for Peter . . . that was harsh . .

X-Men Deadly Genesis & Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire (collects Deadly Genesis 1-6 & UNCANNY X-MEN #475-486)

Not bad . . . not groundbreaking or anything . . but I had fun and actually liked the way they played off of the Giant Size X-Men #1 story . . . Vulcan is OK . . . bottom line though I am happy to own the 2 HCs . . . The art was very nice and the story kept me reading

X-Men: Supernovas (Collecting X-MEN #188-199 and ANNUAL #1)

Not a big fan of this storyline . . . I think I also don't like Chris Bachalo's art . . just a personal taste issue . . it made the whole story hard to get through for me . . . The children of the Vault were . . meh . . . The other story with Cable and the big essence ball . . . meh . . . and no one gives Rogue a fricken break, I like that character but they keep screwing around with her . . . BTW when did she get the flame powers ???

Endangered Species (Collecting X-MEN: ENDANGERED SPECIES ONE-SHOT and CHAPTERS #1-17 from UNCANNY X-MEN #488-491, X-MEN #200-204, NEW X-MEN #40-43, & X-FACTOR #21-24)

I liked it . . . got to take a long ride with the Beast and even though some of the parts didn't make sense (he has direct lines to all those villians ??) it still made for a compelling story which seems to be setting up for the next crossover . . the Messiah Complex which has not been released in HC format yet . . .

So that's it for now . . . I haven't been in the X-Universe for a while but I am happy to be back . . . :)

Does any one have any other HC collections or a storyline they would recommend reading that would add to the background of what is going on now ???

It was actually the Morrison run that got me back in so I guess any stories between then and now ????

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: Reading Marvel X-Men HC Collections

Post by Lightning Strike »

I liked the Messiah Complex better than Endangered Species

siren3-4
Re: Reading Marvel X-Men HC Collections

Post by siren3-4 »

Lightning Strike wrote:I liked the Messiah Complex better than Endangered Species
I'm looking forward to reading it . . . I just have to wait like 2 months . . . :)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Rogue absorbed Sunspot's powers as I recall.

I really like the X-Men Annual from 2007. Mystique throws a claymore mine and Tempo suspends the blast and says she can hold it as long as she doesn't get distracted... so Mystique swoops in and kicks her in the face!

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

Chiclo wrote:Rogue absorbed Sunspot's powers as I recall.

I really like the X-Men Annual from 2007. Mystique throws a claymore mine and Tempo suspends the blast and says she can hold it as long as she doesn't get distracted... so Mystique swoops in and kicks her in the face!
Where did the Rogue thing happen ???

I also recently bought, read and sold the whole X-treme X-men series and I don't remember it happening there . . .

Is the Annual important to anything else story wise ? Did it belong to any storyline in particular ?

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

siren3-4 wrote:

I think it was in Uncanny, but I'm not positive

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

siren3-4 wrote:

I also recently bought, read and sold the whole X-treme X-men series and I don't remember it happening there . . .

Is the Annual important to anything else story wise ? Did it belong to any storyline in particular ?
No idea where the Rogue thing happened.

The Annual help set up Messiah CompleX. Exodus and a few left over Acolytes (including Random... wtf?) pop up and at the end they go to Mister Sinister. It was the second such recruitment for Sinister, previously in the X-Men book Sunfire and Gambit fall in with him.

The writer had no good feel for Random whatsoever. He was very preoccupied with the survival of the mutant race despite not being a bourne mutant himself (he was a construct of the Dark Beast) and his dialogue is just terrible.

thePike
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by thePike »

I'm with you in the short group of people that liked "House of M" as well. For an alternate reality story I thought it very well done.

I haven't read all the books in those other HC's with the exception to Endangered Species. By itself, I don't think Endangered was all that great; but reading as a precursor to Messiah Complex, is great! All that ES really did was set the contrast and perspective for the uber-awesomeness that was MC.