Another Xbox 360.... dead...

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Another Xbox 360.... dead...

Post by etos45 »

Well, I turned on mine yesterday to play a little Rainbow 6, and it had to get the new "do nothing" update.... after that every time I went to start a game of Rainbow 6 it would freeze... then it froze on boot-up a few times... then froze on the game a few more. Anyone else heard of this being a problem since the update or is it just purely coincidence? I'm not sure why this would have started all of the sudden though...

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

No, No, No, No! Stop talking abouth this stuff. All of this talk about 360s frying around here is making me a little nervous. Lalalalalalalalal, I'm not listening. :P

No I haven't heard anything about this. I will take a look around, though.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

(hiding my 360 from this talk)

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Man, the problems people are having with this console is just crazy.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

So I should get my son a Playstation 3 for Christmas instead of a 360? All he really wants is Guitar Hero anyway...

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

The Wii has Guitar Hero as well.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Wow I'm not the only one ......

:| Sorry

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

betterthanezra wrote:Wow I'm not the only one ......

-Brian
Did you get your X-Box fixed yet, Brian?

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

Heath wrote:So I should get my son a Playstation 3 for Christmas instead of a 360? All he really wants is Guitar Hero anyway...
How old is your son? You may want to find out what systems his friends have, if they are online he can play with them. The failure problem runs across both consoles and the majority of the problem is heat. The RROD is warranteed for three years while the other assorted problems are not. Even PS3 fanboys have been complaining about the PS3.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Whew, my PS2 keeps on tickin' ;)

Yeah, I have a Wii.. put I really want a PS3!!! :twisted:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

IanAlexavier wrote:Whew, my PS2 keeps on tickin' ;)
My brother went through 4 PS2 consoles when they first came out. He was pretty frustrated with the loading times too.

Heath

Post by Heath »

TKWill wrote:
Heath wrote:So I should get my son a Playstation 3 for Christmas instead of a 360? All he really wants is Guitar Hero anyway...
How old is your son? You may want to find out what systems his friends have, if they are online he can play with them. The failure problem runs across both consoles and the majority of the problem is heat. The RROD is warranteed for three years while the other assorted problems are not. Even PS3 fanboys have been complaining about the PS3.
He'll almost be 9 by Christmas. Since we just moved back to the area he doesn't have a lot of friends yet to judge by (but school starts tomorrow so that will change). There are a couple of slightly older kids across the street and they have a PS2 and have brought it and Guitar Hero over a couple of times.

betterthanezra
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:Wow I'm not the only one ......

-Brian
Did you get your X-Box fixed yet, Brian?
No I haven't sent the thing in yet to Microsoft...

Everything is ready for it...I just don't have an extra $100 laying around to get it fixed yet with the kids going back to school this week.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Squirrel
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by Squirrel »

We have a Wii (my son is 7) and we have guitar hero 3 as well...NOT a single problem with my Wii since we bought it, last X-Mas!!! :thumb: :clap:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Squirrel wrote:We have a Wii (my son is 7) and we have guitar hero 3 as well...NOT a single problem with my Wii since we bought it, last X-Mas!!! :thumb: :clap:
Same here.

In fact I have owned all of the Nintendo consoles they have put out and never had one go bad.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Mine had an error "E68" and made a fun grinding noise when starting up sometimes earlier in the summer. Finally got to where it wouldn't boot up at all and one of my kids lost his whole login ID and stuff. We sent it in to Microsoft (still under warranty luckily) and they sent us back a new one after only a couple weeks. :D

On the down side, this new console has already come up with that same error code a couple times and it seems that all of our downloaded content (extra songs for Rockband, and extra locations/quests of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) is now gone. I'm planning to call Microsoft to find out if I can get this stuff back since I paid for it once already or if I'm just screwed.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I have both a 360 and PS3... I prefer to play the 360 but the PS3 tends to be more reliable and the interface, well I think it is clumsy AND I know it is a Sony product.

I have gone through 2 360s while my PS3 has never (knock on wood) had any problems whatsoever.

But I still stick with my 360... I tend to like the games exclusive for it as well (is it me or do the 360 games 'seem' more........ uh American ?)

As for the error problem, I got the same update with no problems. I will test Rainbow Six tonight.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

I wouldn't say that. If your son in only going to play Guitar hero, a PS2 will work. There's no real graphical advantage to owning on of the newer consoles. I also still believe that the 360 is a good system... I'm the only one I know in my general area that has had an issue, and I'm still not convinced it's legit... (denial :P )

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
IanAlexavier wrote:Whew, my PS2 keeps on tickin' ;)
My brother went through 4 PS2 consoles when they first came out. He was pretty frustrated with the loading times too.
I got one of the day 1 systems for PS2 and it always gave me trouble. I'm on my fourth one of those right now.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Mine had an error "E68" and made a fun grinding noise when starting up sometimes earlier in the summer. Finally got to where it wouldn't boot up at all and one of my kids lost his whole login ID and stuff. We sent it in to Microsoft (still under warranty luckily) and they sent us back a new one after only a couple weeks. :D

On the down side, this new console has already come up with that same error code a couple times and it seems that all of our downloaded content (extra songs for Rockband, and extra locations/quests of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) is now gone. I'm planning to call Microsoft to find out if I can get this stuff back since I paid for it once already or if I'm just screwed.
I just got another Xbox and you can re-download all of your content for free as long as you log in with the same profile you bought them with. I keep my profile and my saves on a memory card (more so for traveling to friends houses, but it came in real handy for this). The thing that's bugging me about the whole thing is that I'm not getting an error code or any red lights... it just freezes... I can't help but think it's something in the code.

Heath

Post by Heath »

etos45 wrote:
I wouldn't say that. If your son in only going to play Guitar hero, a PS2 will work. There's no real graphical advantage to owning on of the newer consoles. I also still believe that the 360 is a good system... I'm the only one I know in my general area that has had an issue, and I'm still not convinced it's legit... (denial :P )
I thought about maybe a PS2 instead. How many millions of games are available for that console? And they're still being produced. Gamestop's current price on a refurb is ~ $80. Not bad.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

etos45 wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Mine had an error "E68" and made a fun grinding noise when starting up sometimes earlier in the summer. Finally got to where it wouldn't boot up at all and one of my kids lost his whole login ID and stuff. We sent it in to Microsoft (still under warranty luckily) and they sent us back a new one after only a couple weeks. :D

I just got another Xbox and you can re-download all of your content for free as long as you log in with the same profile you bought them with. I keep my profile and my saves on a memory card (more so for traveling to friends houses, but it came in real handy for this). The thing that's bugging me about the whole thing is that I'm not getting an error code or any red lights... it just freezes... I can't help but think it's something in the code.
That happened to one of mine ... I had to send it back.

My latest one, which I've had for a while, actually went thee red lights for a minute last week after the power here blinked off in a storm. It seems OK now, though.

:hope:

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Looks like there is an impending price drop on the 360. Heath, while it can be a pain, red rings are much rarer on the newer systems, which come out of the box with a one year everything warranty, and a three year red ring warranty. If you get one, make certain to get a model that comes with a hard drive.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

got to love little 20 gig hard drives or a 120 for 100 bones, I can pick up a 1tb for 140 :lol:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Heath wrote:
etos45 wrote:
I thought about maybe a PS2 instead. How many millions of games are available for that console? And they're still being produced. Gamestop's current price on a refurb is ~ $80. Not bad.
I BELIEVE they still make a games for PS2. That was such a vastly popular system that I think it's going to be a while until it dies out. I like getting the older PS2s because you can drop a hard drive in there and back all your games up to it, which really helps with load times and with protecting the laser.