New Ways to Die

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
New Ways to Die

Post by nutflush76 »

So, I'm reading the "New ways to die" storyline in Amazing Spider-Man and I think the story is pretty good. But I have one MAJOR complaint about the book.

John Romita Jr.

His art is terrible. The new Anti-Venom is a concept that sounds really cool and could look really cool if there was a good artist drawing it.

How does this guy keep getting all of this high profile work?

Does his dad's name really carry that much weight?

Do the people who hire artists think they are hiring Romita Sr. and then they get Romita Jr?

Why doesn't anybody besides Marvel give him work?

I actually know the answer to that one. It's because nobody else would pay him money for his art!

I fell better now.

Does anybody else feel this way?

hellboydce
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by hellboydce »

haven't read this, but i have really liked JRJR's art, he is one of my favorite marvel artists (I wish he would do some DC stuff) he is probably on an exclusive contract with marvel as i don't think he has done any work for anyone else (i'm probably wrong about that)

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I liked JRJR's earlier work, but the later Miller-inspired style wasn't so hot.

Check out his work in Uncanny X-men in the 180's to the 200's - it's pretty clean.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Eternalwarrior68
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: v1 X-O / v3 Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by Eternalwarrior68 »

Havent read Spidey in a while, but I enjoy some of JR's work, specifically wolverine- Enemy of the state :thumb:

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: New Ways to Die

Post by Tim »

nutflush76 wrote: His art is terrible. The new Anti-Venom is a concept that sounds really cool and could look really cool if there was a good artist drawing it.

How does this guy keep getting all of this high profile work?

Does his dad's name really carry that much weight?

Do the people who hire artists think they are hiring Romita Sr. and then they get Romita Jr?

Why doesn't anybody besides Marvel give him work?
These are all valid questions. I avoid that guy's stuff like the plague. There is absolutely no reason he should be getting so much work at Marvel while hundreds of superior artists go unemployed.

His early stuff, like Slym said, was pretty good, but as soon as he developed whatever "style" he's using now it all went to crap.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Tim wrote:
His early stuff, like Slym said, was pretty good, but as soon as he developed whatever "style" he's using now it all went to crap.
I agree, take a look at some of his Iron Man work, real nice stuff. No idea what happened to him after that. Some guys can switch to a more stylized art style and do it successfully, like Bill Sienkiewicz. I guess some can't. :?

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

Brother J wrote:
Tim wrote:
I agree, take a look at some of his Iron Man work, real nice stuff. No idea what happened to him after that. Some guys can switch to a more stylized art style and do it successfully, like Bill Sienkiewicz. I guess some can't. :?
World War Hulk was terrible in more ways than just his art but that was a big factor.

Worst Hulk Ever!

I have seen some of his old X-men work and it's almost like a completely different artist.

Spider-Man looks terrible. The work on Spider-Man is some of his worst work I've ver seen. matbe the 3 times a month schedule is too much for him?

Kick-*SQUEE* for some reason works :?

Zool
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zool »

In general I like Jr Jr's work but he does have a tendency to take on too much work and then you see the quality dropping.

As for why he gets so much work, he has a real fan following, he's always a good story teller and is ridiculously quick (too quick in some instances).

For good 'recent' Jr Jr, look at Wolverine: Enemy of the State, you can tell it's the same guy as did WWH but it is far superior in quality.

KO2003
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by KO2003 »

JRJ is the go-to guy at Marvel simply because he consistently meets deadlines. They're artist who are much better than JRJ but they can't produce the pages he does on a monthly basis.

Personally, I don't like JRJ's style. The reason he is so fast is that he skimps on the detailing. No ripped abs, sloping traps or chiseled muscularity with the characters. Very rudimentary facial expressions.

I prefer David Finch's artwork over JRJ's pencils. The World War Hulk variants were flip-flopped IMHO. I would have paid the premium for Finch's covers but I am glad they were the regular covers. The Romita variants are barely worth $5 a pop.

I only collect Spidey comics because I like the character. By the way, I was glad when Straczynski stopped writing ASM and I will be happy when JRJ is off the title. I like the current storyline alot. I would even take Chris Bachalo artwork over JRJ. Uh..but no disrespect to JRJ though... :| He's a nice guy to meet at Conventions.