Bragging rights - your best Dead Universe deal of late?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Crossgen were not short of support.
It was business decisions that pushed them over the edge.

They started out slow, but got better and the last tier of books they bought out were doing good.

The Negation war was to bring them all together and end the original titles and start over.

Probably the single most annoying non finish of all time.

:|
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Knightt wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
Knightt wrote:That is where my thick-headedness comes into play. Here it is, I LOVE Crossgen books but I will not start reading them until I have them all (common issues. Luckily there are few and far between variants/special/HTF books. Soon though.... I hope soon. :thumb:
Once you start reading them, you won't be able to stop :thumb:
I KNOW !!!! A board member (dac55) had sent me the previews set and I got into two of the books and said, "Thats IT, I am going to collect this DU." Luckily, my LCS was dumping many of these issues for when all totalled it came out to $.35 cents an issue. How could I pass that up ? Even at that price, I picked up extras so that I could trade/give away.

Just someting about these books. I know, it is not a super hero heavy universe but the whole 'sigil' interwoven story, the colors used and some VERY nice artwork drew me to these books. Then I started reading about the companies policies and one REALLY made me glad to start the DU... one of Crossgen's policies is that the person that drew the book would always draw the cover as well. Unlike so many books today where you have this GREAT cover and inside you find the scribblings of a 4 year old.
Yep
Knightt wrote:I don't remember how long this company was in business (I 'think' about 3 and a half years +/-) but MAN did they crank out some titles of what ?
I believe it was six or seven years
Knightt wrote:The whole Edge and Forge and going to TPB very quickly didnt sit very well with me, still doesnt as I sit on the fence from time to time whether or not I will go after them. Some of the TPBs still command a decent price considering it is a DU. But from what I gather the company went under for more financial reasons than lack of fan base, wasnt it ? Or perhaps a combination of both?
Two things. First, their founder and money guy Marc Alessi was starting to run out of money towards the end, and wasn't able to keep the company going. He had been using his own money and didn't get any investors to help take some of the burden off.

And secondly, the universe suffered from being all tied together. Fans felt that the "sigilverse" didn't give each book enough of their own identity, and in a way, they had a point.
While you didn't HAVE to read every title to know what was going on in each individual book, there was an underlining mystery that flowed throughout the entire CrossGen universe, so if you didn't read every title, you would miss out on the background story.

I can't say anything more without spoiling it. But those two things were probably the biggest reason why CG went under :(

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I am a big Crossgen fan. Love them.

I have posted a few times...... I have not read a single Crossgen book that I did not like.

Also very intresting that there are so many female main characters, like a vast majority.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

But I will say that I am not interested in the Forge and Edge books. I'll just do the single issues.

Lightning Strike

Draco wrote:Crossgen were not short of support.
It was business decisions that pushed them over the edge.

They started out slow, but got better and the last tier of books they bought out were doing good.

The Negation war was to bring them all together and end the original titles and start over.

Probably the single most annoying non finish of all time.

Yep. I was soooooo disappointed when I found out they were closing up during the Negation War.

It was really getting good and I hated the fact that the Negation book, most of all, was going to end. :!:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Draco wrote:Probably the single most annoying non finish of all time.

Sounds like one of my old girlfriends.

-slym

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Hopefully, I gathered some information to shed more light in relation to the posts below. It might not be the WHOLE story but it is a story none the less. :thumb:

viewtopic.php?t=25279
Lightning Strike wrote:
Knightt wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
Knightt wrote:That is where my thick-headedness comes into play. Here it is, I LOVE Crossgen books but I will not start reading them until I have them all (common issues. Luckily there are few and far between variants/special/HTF books. Soon though.... I hope soon. :thumb:
Once you start reading them, you won't be able to stop :thumb:
I KNOW !!!! A board member (dac55) had sent me the previews set and I got into two of the books and said, "Thats IT, I am going to collect this DU." Luckily, my LCS was dumping many of these issues for when all totalled it came out to $.35 cents an issue. How could I pass that up ? Even at that price, I picked up extras so that I could trade/give away.

Just someting about these books. I know, it is not a super hero heavy universe but the whole 'sigil' interwoven story, the colors used and some VERY nice artwork drew me to these books. Then I started reading about the companies policies and one REALLY made me glad to start the DU... one of Crossgen's policies is that the person that drew the book would always draw the cover as well. Unlike so many books today where you have this GREAT cover and inside you find the scribblings of a 4 year old.
Yep
Knightt wrote:I don't remember how long this company was in business (I 'think' about 3 and a half years +/-) but MAN did they crank out some titles of what ?
I believe it was six or seven years
Knightt wrote:The whole Edge and Forge and going to TPB very quickly didnt sit very well with me, still doesnt as I sit on the fence from time to time whether or not I will go after them. Some of the TPBs still command a decent price considering it is a DU. But from what I gather the company went under for more financial reasons than lack of fan base, wasnt it ? Or perhaps a combination of both?
Two things. First, their founder and money guy Marc Alessi was starting to run out of money towards the end, and wasn't able to keep the company going. He had been using his own money and didn't get any investors to help take some of the burden off.

And secondly, the universe suffered from being all tied together. Fans felt that the "sigilverse" didn't give each book enough of their own identity, and in a way, they had a point.
While you didn't HAVE to read every title to know what was going on in each individual book, there was an underlining mystery that flowed throughout the entire CrossGen universe, so if you didn't read every title, you would miss out on the background story.

I can't say anything more without spoiling it. But those two things were probably the biggest reason why CG went under :(

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

slym2none wrote:

-slym
On her part or yours ? :hm:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00578.html

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:
slym2none wrote:

-slym

Easy there, quickdraw.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:
Knightt wrote:
slym2none wrote:

-slym

Easy there, quickdraw.
He he he he... awww come on, when do I get to joke around and have fun like that.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

I just picked up 75 issues of Soulsearchers and Company for $21 plus $20 in shipping. These books have been really hard for me to find cheap and I just got nearly the entire series for less than 50 cents a book!

I'm pretty excited to find the other seven or so issues and read the whole thing in one shot since I think Peter David is one of the best writers in the biz!

Draco

Post by Draco »

Doorman wrote:I just picked up 75 issues of Soulsearchers and Company for $21 plus $20 in shipping. These books have been really hard for me to find cheap and I just got nearly the entire series for less than 50 cents a book!

I'm pretty excited to find the other seven or so issues and read the whole thing in one shot since I think Peter David is one of the best writers in the biz!
Nice hit on these.

Sure its not just the 50c tag, its getting that many in one hit.

I find these and the Elviras are not easy to get.

The print runs on these are tiny and will be hard to get in nice condition in ten years from being thumbed in 10c boxes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumb:
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Knightt wrote:
slym2none wrote:

-slym

Hers... I know what some women go through, she used to "get hers" and then that was that.

-slym (will be down in the basement... doing what you think he's doing)

J-Scott-R
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by J-Scott-R »

slym2none wrote:
Knightt wrote:
slym2none wrote:

-slym

Hers... I know what some women go through, she used to "get hers" and then that was that.

-slym (will be down in the basement... doing what you think he's doing)
Too much info :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Back on topic. :thumb:

OK a best deal of late WITH pics...

First up

Here is a signed copy of Sigil #1 from Crossgen... this is a loooong stretch but it is kind of like the VVSS of Valiant (but really a retailer incentive of sorts). Like I said long stretch here but the story is as written to me from the guy I bought it from:

"When CrossGen started in 2000, I contacted them as a retailer and told them I would be willing to feature their new line on my website, which I did. To encourage sales, they sent me signed copies of their 4 introductory titles. One of those comics went to a customer, but the other 3 got misplaced. I just found them recently and decided to put them on eBay to see how I would do. I already sold the Mystic #1 and Scion #1, and this Sigil #1 is the last one I have. Hopefully, this makes sense. They did not send any paperwork or COAs with the issue, just the comics. But I know they are real signatures, as I have seen these creators sign other books with very very similar signatures."

Here is the pic:

Next in line is

A raw, uncut, no staples copy of Warriors of Plasm #2 (from Janet Jackson's personal collection, which is cool because JayJay painted that cover. You can see her signature J J between and to the right of Lapham and Witherby's signatures) - notice the cool color bars at the top:

And finally two pics of a the Snake Pliskin Chronicles Special Preview Black & White. First is the cover (the "Coming This June" box is actually a sticker) and then a glimpse of one of the pages inside:

Cover

Insides (sweet pencils or what ?)

I am REALLY STOKED to add these to my collection. The Sigil #1 is really just a nice 'thank you' from the Crossgen staff but I think it's cool AND to have a bit of a history behind it from the retailer is even better. :thumb:

Pretty cool, huh ?

OH I forgot, I FINALLY got a copy of Warriors of Plasm #0 stand alone (one staple) !!! BOO YAA !!!

Lightning Strike

Knightt wrote:Back on topic. :thumb:

OK a best deal of late WITH pics...

First up

Here is a signed copy of Sigil #1 from Crossgen... this is a loooong stretch but it is kind of like the VVSS of Valiant (but really a retailer incentive of sorts). Like I said long stretch here but the story is as written to me from the guy I bought it from:

"When CrossGen started in 2000, I contacted them as a retailer and told them I would be willing to feature their new line on my website, which I did. To encourage sales, they sent me signed copies of their 4 introductory titles. One of those comics went to a customer, but the other 3 got misplaced. I just found them recently and decided to put them on eBay to see how I would do. I already sold the Mystic #1 and Scion #1, and this Sigil #1 is the last one I have. Hopefully, this makes sense. They did not send any paperwork or COAs with the issue, just the comics. But I know they are real signatures, as I have seen these creators sign other books with very very similar signatures."

Here is the pic:

Next in line is

A raw, uncut, no staples copy of Warriors of Plasm #2 (from Janet Jackson's personal collection, which is cool because JayJay painted that cover. You can see her signature J J between and to the right of Lapham and Witherby's signatures) - notice the cool color bars at the top:

And finally two pics of a the Snake Pliskin Chronicles Special Preview Black & White. First is the cover (the "Coming This June" box is actually a sticker) and then a glimpse of one of the pages inside:

Cover

Insides (sweet pencils or what ?)

I am REALLY STOKED to add these to my collection. The Sigil #1 is really just a nice 'thank you' from the Crossgen staff but I think it's cool AND to have a bit of a history behind it from the retailer is even better. :thumb:

Pretty cool, huh ?

OH I forgot, I FINALLY got a copy of Warriors of Plasm #0 stand alone (one staple) !!! BOO YAA !!!
Those are all cool Knightt :thumb:

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Sojurn vol 1 From The Ashes
Scion vol 1 Conflict Of Conscience
Scion vol 2 Blood For Blood
forge 3
forge 5
Edge 4
edge 5

From BOXTREE ~ UK, collected editions of malibu mini series

Star Trek DS9 Lightstorm
Star Trek DS9 Emancipation and Beyond
Star Trek DS9 Requiem
Star Trek DS9 Shanghaied
Star Trek DS9 The Maquis/Soldier Of Peace
Star Trek DS9 Dax's Comet

all for 50 p each.
But only paid £6.50 ???

are the BOXTREE dsp 9 rare in US. May sell

Draco

Post by Draco »

Phantom wrote:Sojurn vol 1 From The Ashes
forge 3
forge 5
Edge 4
edge 5

Star Trek DS9 Lightstorm
Star Trek DS9 Requiem
Star Trek DS9 Shanghaied

all for 50 p each.
But only paid £6.50 ???

I would be surprised to see hardly any Boxtree stuff in the US.
I thought they got the Marvel gig because Titan lost it for a while and are a UK company.
Im not sure if Marvel Owned Malibu by the point they did TPB's for them too, but makes sense.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Phantom wrote:Sojurn vol 1 From The Ashes
forge 3
forge 5
Edge 4
edge 5

Star Trek DS9 Lightstorm
Star Trek DS9 Requiem
Star Trek DS9 Shanghaied

all for 50 p each.
But only paid £6.50 ???

SAAAAHHHH-WEEEEEET !!!

BTW, I have never heard of Boxtree... anyone care to elaborate a bit more ? :hm: :hope:

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

will do latter ~ of what I have got

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

Found a copy of the Route 666 trade paperback from Crossgen. $7 at the local Hastings in the used section. They have a Meridian vol. 4 I want to go back and get but I think it'll be gone.

Not the cheapest price, but anything less than cover on an out of print DU is OK with me. I think I got a deal.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

:thumb:

could have been cheeper.

But it is a really really low print run if I recall

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

turborip wrote:Found a copy of the Route 666 trade paperback from Crossgen. $7.
MAN, I have to get a handle on the TPBs, Forges, and Edges to add to the list.

Anybody already have a complied list of those by chance ?

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

Knightt wrote:
turborip wrote:Found a copy of the Route 666 trade paperback from Crossgen. $7.
MAN, I have to get a handle on the TPBs, Forges, and Edges to add to the list.

Anybody already have a complied list of those by chance ?
I want to dliigently work on that. I may see what I can compile over the holidays.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

for crossgen I use the list provided by um :oops: cannot remmeber.
All have links to photos and print runs. Thats a great list.

no offence ~ all other lists are cool