Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by h-comics »

Yep I posted here loooking for the GR #93 and Brother J pm me and sold me both for AWESOME price for both 8-)

Jesse

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

dellamorte wrote:I dig the site and the talk on rare modern books.

What about Walking Dead #49? The few copies on ebay seem to be priced around $15. Now I didn't do a lot of digging but this was a tough book for me to find and when I did I paid more than I thought I would have to. It's the first issue not covered by the compendium and the issue before a big jump in readers came on with #50.

Just thought I would throw that out there. I could be way off but it's all I have.
I've flipped a few of them. I currently have one up on ebay right now, in fact.

I feel this book was hot and hard to find for a bit as new readers jumped on after that 8th trade (before the 9th came out). Since the 9th trade has been out, people don't seem to be going back to collect this single quite as much. Hence, about 6 or so on ebay right now and no longer moving like hot cakes. It's still tougher to get than most other current TWDs, but it's definitely more available now than a year ago or so.

BTW, if anyone needs a copy, there's one on comiccollectorlive.com right now for $2.50 or you can have my ebay copy for $10 shipped.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

h-comics wrote::cloud9: keep it coming guys,more is going on to the list to look for this weekend since I am free.I am like everyone else I am truly loving this thread :thumb: .

Jesse
Cool! I'll be adding the suggestions to the site sometime within the next week, btw. :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Tim wrote:I do too. I think it'd be cool to have a forum over at Starbrand's site specifically for discussing this stuff.
I decided to take your suggestion, Tim, and start a forum linked to the site. Since this is my favorite message board, of course I'll be here and there as well.
I also plan to keep a link to this site at moderncomicreport.com, as really this thread has given me inspiration for the site and publicity as well. Maybe when the search engines start picking up the site I'll be able to drive a bit of traffic this way and return the favor.

http://www.moderncomicreport.proboards.com/

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Tim wrote:Amazing Spiderman #430, #431 and to a lesser extent; What If? #108.

I know that the #431 consistently goes for $15-20.

A lot of the later What If?'s go for more than you might thing.
Gotta love these books! There are seven 431s in eBay stores, which seems like a lot, but the lowest price is 39.99. A copy did recently sell for 39.99 as well.
Spider-Man 430 sells for 10-25.00 in NM. Not as much, but still a solid price. Mile High has a nm copy listed at only 9.60.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

took a trip to a local shop today looking for some of the books on these lists. I came up dry except for a copy of Savage Dragon #102 with the Invincible preview. They were having a 50% off sale in their back issue bins, but they had pretty much already been picked through. The Savage Dragon was priced at cover, so I paid half cover price, which was less than $2.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Brother J wrote:took a trip to a local shop today looking for some of the books on these lists. I came up dry except for a copy of Savage Dragon #102 with the Invincible preview. They were having a 50% off sale in their back issue bins, but they had pretty much already been picked through. The Savage Dragon was priced at cover, so I paid half cover price, which was less than $2.
Solid! I need to make a similar trip myself.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I find this to be an interesting study. The regular version of Invincible Iron Man 8, from the current series that started in 2008 and which by the way is a Dark Reign crossover, is very hard to find and goes for a significant percentage more than the 1 in 10 variant, which is much easier to find. Only one copy of this regular non-variant is on eBay right now and is priced at 14.99. I've seen a copy sell for about that price in the past. The 1 in 10 variant is plentiful on eBay and much cheaper.
My theory on this book is the regular cover is far cooler than the 1 in 10 cover. It's not even close as to which is cooler, imo. (Perhaps more individuals collect the regular covers than the variants, but that doesn't make the regular covers cheaper than 1 in 10 variants in other cases.)
The way I see it, this helps substantiate my theory that the actual cover image can greatly increase demand for a comic.
Checking mycomicshop, they're out of the regular cover but have the 1 in 10 in stock. Mile High is out of both, so that doesn't add much in this case.

Regular Version

1 in 10 Variant

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!

Post by Phantom.. »

Batman man who laughts buy it now 30 us dollars.
Just saw a COPY.

Anyway Starbrand, was just wondering why you thaought amasing spidy 606 was a futiure prospect?

I don't read spidy but the cover was interesting.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Phantom. wrote:Batman man who laughts buy it now 30 us dollars.
Just saw a COPY.

Anyway Starbrand, was just wondering why you thaought amasing spidy 606 was a futiure prospect?

I don't read spidy but the cover was interesting.
Just a hunch. Between Birds Of Prey 8 and the following Black Cat has, coupled with the fact this is really the first time the Black Cat and Spidey can be romantically involved...add to that the cover image...plus sales seem strong so far from what I've seen on eBay.
I wouldn't put too much stock in my hunch, though I did set aside 10 or 15 copies of this book, phantom.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

X-Force 12 and 13 from the series that started in 2008 are hard to find. Issue 12 has one copy available on eBay at 15.99, issue 13 has 0 copies on eBay and one recently sold for 14.99. However, mycomicshop lists issue 13 in stock at the moment at 2.70.
There are both Prelude To War issues.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Last edited by StarBrand on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:09:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

StarBrand wrote:Deadpool 54 probably breaks into my five hottest comics next month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deadpool-54-NM_W0QQ ... 1e591b5732
Does #54 go for more than #55 (2nd part of the Punisher crossover)?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Deadpool 54 probably breaks into my five hottest comics next month.

It seems to, but they're both incredibly strong. They may both go into my top five.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEADPOOL-55-1997-SE ... 518d95ef59

Not sure if you saws this sale broj.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEADPOOL-1997-54-NM ... 3a53f7ab63

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

StarBrand wrote:
Brother J wrote:

It seems to, but they're both incredibly strong. They may both go into my top five.

crazy stuff...

I think this one looks pretty cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0110767524

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

StarBrand wrote:
Elveen wrote:One early suggestion...... do you know/can you list why the specific book is valued so high? On some you say low print run..... but what about the Conan book, or the promethia?
Promethea 32 is a book I saw sell for something like 30.00 on eBay a couple years ago. I then walked into a store and found two nm copies of it for something like 3.50 ea and bought them both and they sold quickly for me at 29.99 ea on eBay. I'm not sure exactly why it goes for so much. It's the last issue of the series, but certainly not many last issues of series go for that much from the modern era, especially when the next to last issue, 31, goes for around cover price the last time I checked. That's the weird type of stuff that so intrigues me about studying prices on modern books.
Conan 275 is similar. It's the last issue. I remember shortly after I discovered that one I picked up like four or five copies of it from one store and did real well with them.
I've sold the last two issues of Thunderstrike for 20.00+ ea in nm, but I've no idea why the last two issues go for so much, when the third to last issue doesn't. I think Thunderstrike 24 has a few copies available on eBay at the moment, but over the years that issue's been super tough to find. Why aren't other last issues from other series from the same year just as hard to find? No idea.
In any event, I'll be putting forth info on some of this stuff on the site in the coming days...Lord willing, of course. Thanks again for the interest.
It's kinda weird but I'm guessing that a lot of the final issues end up getting really low orders.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/6620.html

Promethea #32 only got around 15,826 copies ordered. But otoh Promethea #31 was at 15,339:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/5713.html

So I guess it's probably the "last issue" effect or something.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Brother J wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Brother J wrote:

crazy stuff...

I think this one looks pretty cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0110767524
That is pretty cool. :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

The Spider wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Elveen wrote:One early suggestion...... do you know/can you list why the specific book is valued so high? On some you say low print run..... but what about the Conan book, or the promethia?
Promethea 32 is a book I saw sell for something like 30.00 on eBay a couple years ago. I then walked into a store and found two nm copies of it for something like 3.50 ea and bought them both and they sold quickly for me at 29.99 ea on eBay. I'm not sure exactly why it goes for so much. It's the last issue of the series, but certainly not many last issues of series go for that much from the modern era, especially when the next to last issue, 31, goes for around cover price the last time I checked. That's the weird type of stuff that so intrigues me about studying prices on modern books.
Conan 275 is similar. It's the last issue. I remember shortly after I discovered that one I picked up like four or five copies of it from one store and did real well with them.
I've sold the last two issues of Thunderstrike for 20.00+ ea in nm, but I've no idea why the last two issues go for so much, when the third to last issue doesn't. I think Thunderstrike 24 has a few copies available on eBay at the moment, but over the years that issue's been super tough to find. Why aren't other last issues from other series from the same year just as hard to find? No idea.
In any event, I'll be putting forth info on some of this stuff on the site in the coming days...Lord willing, of course. Thanks again for the interest.
It's kinda weird but I'm guessing that a lot of the final issues end up getting really low orders.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/6620.html

Promethea #32 only got around 15,826 copies ordered. But otoh Promethea #31 was at 15,339:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/5713.html

So I guess it's probably the "last issue" effect or something.
Good links. :thumb:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:
UnknownTales wrote:Here's my theory to this book only:

Look at the cover. It is part of the Superman Triangle sequence, but for some reason, DC did not put the triangle on it. The book before and the one after continue the sequence in order with this book smack in the middle WITH a sequence number, but not on the cover.

Maybe this caused confusion when ordering or at the POS when purchasing.

When I read this issue, as I get all the Superman issues, I was struck by how the previous sequence book said "continued in Supergirl" but the Triangle was missing---even thought the interior continues the massive storyline.

StarBrand wrote:Anyone know anything about this book? A copy just sold on eBay for 23.99 and the only two copies available on eBay are for 24.99 ea and it's two different sellers offering those. Thanks.
Is it the first full Superwoman? I'll be adding this to my site, but want some more info.
Go go hivemind!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERGIRL-37_W0QQit ... 439a904c36

Good theory. :hm:
I have another theory on this book and one that is relevant when crossovers and 5th week events come along.
people who wanted the Faces of eveil issues may have picked up this title, but dont normally, so that makes the amount of copies avaialble at somewhere around 50% of the normal print run.
Im basing that on the other books that are in this series that have higher print runs than Supergirl.
An example would be Green Goblin # 12 onslaught crossover issue, which you can get $10+ for. Anyone buying Onslaught may have grabbed this too, making it hard for both Onslaught collectors to get and regular GG fans.
What tends to happen is there can be a mad rush to locate copies and word spreads, prices go high.
I tend to notice these type of HTF hype books are available in some outlets of the smaller kind and also can surface around six months after the event, normally due to stores being slightly disorganised and not putting old new product out for sale as quickly as they could.
Of course some books are slighty more sought after than others and can maintain a price of 5 to 10X higher than cover for several years before dropping to a more affordable price.

:thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Draco wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
UnknownTales wrote:Here's my theory to this book only:

Look at the cover. It is part of the Superman Triangle sequence, but for some reason, DC did not put the triangle on it. The book before and the one after continue the sequence in order with this book smack in the middle WITH a sequence number, but not on the cover.

Maybe this caused confusion when ordering or at the POS when purchasing.

When I read this issue, as I get all the Superman issues, I was struck by how the previous sequence book said "continued in Supergirl" but the Triangle was missing---even thought the interior continues the massive storyline.

StarBrand wrote:Anyone know anything about this book? A copy just sold on eBay for 23.99 and the only two copies available on eBay are for 24.99 ea and it's two different sellers offering those. Thanks.
Is it the first full Superwoman? I'll be adding this to my site, but want some more info.
Go go hivemind!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERGIRL-37_W0QQit ... 439a904c36

Good theory. :hm:
I have another theory on this book and one that is relevant when crossovers and 5th week events come along.
people who wanted the Faces of eveil issues may have picked up this title, but dont normally, so that makes the amount of copies avaialble at somewhere around 50% of the normal print run.
Im basing that on the other books that are in this series that have higher print runs than Supergirl.
An example would be Green Goblin # 12 onslaught crossover issue, which you can get $10+ for. Anyone buying Onslaught may have grabbed this too, making it hard for both Onslaught collectors to get and regular GG fans.
What tends to happen is there can be a mad rush to locate copies and word spreads, prices go high.
I tend to notice these type of HTF hype books are available in some outlets of the smaller kind and also can surface around six months after the event, normally due to stores being slightly disorganised and not putting old new product out for sale as quickly as they could.
Of course some books are slighty more sought after than others and can maintain a price of 5 to 10X higher than cover for several years before dropping to a more affordable price.

Interesting info and theory. :thumb:

Draco
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:
400yrs wrote:Might be mentioned already, but the 432 wanted cover is one I like to look for.
Good pick. I was surprised to see Mile High with a copy for sale in NM on eBay for 10.80. The only other single copy up there is at 49.99.
I wonder if it's a 1 in 10 variant, or what the breakdown on that is?
Gonna have to add this one too when I get a chance later this week...

Is this the deluxe edition?
I know there are a bunch of books in the clone saga madness that have two styles of covers.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Draco wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
400yrs wrote:Might be mentioned already, but the 432 wanted cover is one I like to look for.
Good pick. I was surprised to see Mile High with a copy for sale in NM on eBay for 10.80. The only other single copy up there is at 49.99.
I wonder if it's a 1 in 10 variant, or what the breakdown on that is?
Gonna have to add this one too when I get a chance later this week...

Is this the deluxe edition?
I know there are a bunch of books in the clone saga madness that have two styles of covers.

I believe this is one of two covers, but I need more info about this book myself. :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

StarBrand wrote:I find this to be an interesting study. The regular version of Invincible Iron Man 8, from the current series that started in 2008 and which by the way is a Dark Reign crossover, is very hard to find and goes for a significant percentage more than the 1 in 10 variant, which is much easier to find. Only one copy of this regular non-variant is on eBay right now and is priced at 14.99. I've seen a copy sell for about that price in the past. The 1 in 10 variant is plentiful on eBay and much cheaper.
My theory on this book is the regular cover is far cooler than the 1 in 10 cover. It's not even close as to which is cooler, imo. (Perhaps more individuals collect the regular covers than the variants, but that doesn't make the regular covers cheaper than 1 in 10 variants in other cases.)
The way I see it, this helps substantiate my theory that the actual cover image can greatly increase demand for a comic.
Checking mycomicshop, they're out of the regular cover but have the 1 in 10 in stock. Mile High is out of both, so that doesn't add much in this case.

Regular Version

1 in 10 Variant
Anyone have any theories as to why the regular version of this book is so much harder to find and pricier than the 1 in 10 variant on this book?
I've come up with the regular version has a cooler cover and more people collect the regular versions than variants so far...
Anyone agree or disagree with those reasons or have other theories?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm going to spend a bit of time this coming week building up the thread on hard to find or currently hot modern comics associated with the site's message board, and hope to also add some of the books suggested on this thread to the site this week. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :thumb:

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

StarBrand wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I find this to be an interesting study. The regular version of Invincible Iron Man 8, from the current series that started in 2008 and which by the way is a Dark Reign crossover, is very hard to find and goes for a significant percentage more than the 1 in 10 variant, which is much easier to find. Only one copy of this regular non-variant is on eBay right now and is priced at 14.99. I've seen a copy sell for about that price in the past. The 1 in 10 variant is plentiful on eBay and much cheaper.

Regular Version

1 in 10 Variant
Anyone have any theories as to why the regular version of this book is so much harder to find and pricier than the 1 in 10 variant on this book?
I've come up with the regular version has a cooler cover and more people collect the regular versions than variants so far...
Anyone agree or disagree with those reasons or have other theories?
Was this Dark Reign crossover fairly popular? It might be because the regular version is marked as part of the crossover, while the variant isn't.