The Old Days

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
The Old Days

Post by xodacia81 »

I thought I'd make a list of "great games of yesteryear", and by this, I mean games of the 8 and 16 bit days. Ok, and 24 bit days, if one counts Neo Geo. So, without further ado and with no "order" to them, I present my initial list, including system. If there is a game that got a multiplatform release, the "best" version will get listed. Feel free to discuss and please, mention any and all games I might have missed. This is in NO way, a "final list" but rather a work in progress. :thumb:

Final Fantasy. NES
Final Fantasy 2(4). SNES
Final Fantasy 3(6). SNES
Breath of Fire. SNES
Breath of Fire 2. SNES
Secret of Mana. SNES
Shining Force 2. Genesis.
Sonice the Hedgehog 2. Genesis.
Act Raiser. SNES.
Secret of Evermore. SNES
Super Mario RPG. SNES
Contra. NES.
Super Mario World. SNES
Mario Brothers. NES
Mario Brothers 3. NES
Soul Blazer. SNES.
Illusion of Gaia. SNES.
NHL Hockey '93. SNES
Madden Football 94. Genesis.
Metroid. NES
Super Metroid. SNES
Metroid 2. Gameboy.
Tetris. Gameboy.
Mario Land 3. Gameboy.
Wario Land 2. Gameboy.
Donkey Kong Country. SNES.
Phantasy Star. Master System.
Phantasy Star 2. Genesis.
Phantasy Star 4. Genesis.
Street Fighter 2-Turbo. SNES.
Streets of Rage 2. Genesis.
Mortal Kombat. SNES (because of play control and graphical smootheness)
Mortal Kombat 2. SNES
Columns. Genesis.
Sonic Spinball. Genesis.
Vectorman. Genesis.
Alien 3. SNES.
Golden Axe. Genesis.
Samurai Showdown. Neo Geo.
Fatal Fury. Neo Geo.
Metal Slug. Neo Geo
King of Fighters. Neo Geo.
Top Hunter. Neo Geo.
Blazing Star. Neo Geo.
Gunstar Heroes. Genesis.
Nobunagas Ambition. SNES.
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. SNES
Clayfighter. SNES.
Stunt Race FX. SNES.
Mario Kart. SNES.
Mega Man. NES
Mega Man 2. NES
Mega Man 3. NES
Mega Man 4. NES
Crystalis. NES.
Legend of Zelda-Link to the Past. SNES.
Legend of Zelda. NES.
Kirby SuperStar. SNES.
The Lost Vikings. SNES.
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. SNES.
Star Fox. SNES.
Top Gear 3000. SNES.
Super Star Wars. SNES.
Super Empire Strikes Back. SNES

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

My list is brief.

Gunslinger - Atari 2600
Mario 3 - NES
Tetris - varied
Zombies Ate My Neighbours - Genesis/SNES
Civ II - PC
Super Wario World - Virtual Boy

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:My list is brief.

Gunslinger - Atari 2600
Mario 3 - NES
Tetris - varied
Zombies Ate My Neighbours - Genesis/SNES
Civ II - PC
Super Wario World - Virtual Boy
Excellent choice in Super Wario World. I think I may expand the list to ANY system pre-PS1/N64/Saturn, but I don't think I'll go back to before 8 bit games. This means Jaguar, 3DO, Turbo-graffix, Virtual Boy and the like would be in the mix. Keep those suggestions coming :thumb:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Vigilante!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

IMJ wrote:Vigilante!
What system was it on?

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Trying not to double up at all here and you've nailed some of the finest by far:

Super Punch Out!
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Streets of Rage 1
Populus
Earthworm Jim 1
Toejam and Earl
Castlevania (any)
Contra (2 or 3)
Donkey Kong Country
Mario Kart
F-Zero
EVO Search for Eden
NBA Jam
Jurassic Park

*Clayfighter was rubbish!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:Trying not to double up at all here and you've nailed some of the finest by far:

Super Punch Out!
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Streets of Rage 1
Populus
Earthworm Jim 1
Toejam and Earl
Castlevania (any)
Contra (2 or 3)
Donkey Kong Country
Mario Kart
F-Zero
EVO Search for Eden
NBA Jam
Jurassic Park

I did get DKC and Mario Kart. GREAT pickup on EVO. I've actually been looking for a copy, but those things are rare and expensive. I have NO clue how I missed Chrono Trigger, perhaps the finest 16-bit work Square did this side of Final Fantasy 6 and in some ways, the most balanced RPG of the entire pre-32-bt era. Good list :thumb:

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

xodacia81 wrote:
What system was it on?
TurboGrafx16! I only added it because of what you mentioned about expanding the list. :oops:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

IMJ wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
What system was it on?
TurboGrafx16! I only added it because of what you mentioned about expanding the list. :oops:
s'cool. I hadn't heard of it, so I wanted to know which system. Any more TG games you can think of? I never got to play much on that system.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:Trying not to double up at all here and you've nailed some of the finest by far:

Super Punch Out!
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Streets of Rage 1
Populus
Earthworm Jim 1
Toejam and Earl
Castlevania (any)
Contra (2 or 3)
Donkey Kong Country
Mario Kart
F-Zero
EVO Search for Eden
NBA Jam
Jurassic Park

I did get DKC and Mario Kart. GREAT pickup on EVO. I've actually been looking for a copy, but those things are rare and expensive. I have NO clue how I missed Chrono Trigger, perhaps the finest 16-bit work Square did this side of Final Fantasy 6 and in some ways, the most balanced RPG of the entire pre-32-bt era. Good list :thumb:
I thought I may have doubled up a little.

Been playing Super Punch Out quite alot recently. BRILLIANT game. Real skill required.

So many of these games would be WAY to hard for kids these days.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

Super Punch Out!
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Streets of Rage 1
Populus
Earthworm Jim 1
Toejam and Earl
Castlevania (any)
Contra (2 or 3)
Donkey Kong Country
Mario Kart
F-Zero
EVO Search for Eden
NBA Jam
Jurassic Park

I thought I may have doubled up a little.

Been playing Super Punch Out quite alot recently. BRILLIANT game. Real skill required.

So many of these games would be WAY to hard for kids these days.
They would indeed and Punch Out is great fun. The Wii Sports boxing game included when you purchase the system reminds me of SPO in terms of schematics. It's even slightly cartoony looking, although not the same style as the earlier game. I think the difficulty level you mention, the whole depth and complexity, is part of the reason I don't really get into modern games too much. It seems you go from point A to point B, grab a few things there, do this or that and that nothing is TOO hard. I remember games back in the day where the difficulty level was INSANE. Ever play Blast Corps? Ninja Gaiden? Hell, the action levels in Act Raiser can be brutal if you try to get everything. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

it ocmes down to sonic 2 mario 3 and bonk :thumb:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Contra is the game I remember driving me the most nuts. I know what you mean about modern games. I'm playing FFXIII at the mo and its basically just playing through a movie.

Theres a new Punch Out on the wii, but I haven't got around to playing it yet.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:Contra is the game I remember driving me the most nuts. I know what you mean about modern games. I'm playing FFXIII at the mo and its basically just playing through a movie.

Theres a new Punch Out on the wii, but I haven't got around to playing it yet.
I REALLY want a PS3, for FF13 and a few other of the RPG and RPG-styled games, but...not for 300 bucks. I wasn't aware of the new Punch Out. I'm going to look for it. As for Contra...a friend of mine once broke one of his controllers because of that game.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I'll think of some SNES titles later, but just a few that really stand out to me on the NES.

Zelda II NES
Faxanadu NES
Super Mario Bros. I II & III NES
Castlevania II NES
Bionic Commando NES
Metroid NES
Mega Man II NES
Battletoads NES
Ghosts N' Goblins NES
Mike Tyson's Punch Out NES
Crystalis NES
Double Dragon II NES
World Runner NES

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Clash at Demonhead for NES

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

Contra was fantastic contra 3 was even better

but lets not forget crono trigger :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Is it me or are the games listed here all fairly difficult and re-playable? (which I love) What is it about modern games where once you beat it, you beat it, but the replay value is mainly cheap and lacking true incentives to go through the game again and again?

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

very true old school was tough at least a few times

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

I had the discussion about difficulty in older games vs how watered down things seem now with one of the guys in my local indy VG store but he just said I was talking *SQUEE*. He is a fat DB though so I shouldn't have bothered trying to have any kind of discussion with him in the first place really.

Unless you are playing something on EXTREME or XXX HARDCORE IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! mode these days the chances are you will just play through without dying more than about twice.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Amen to all the comments above. Has anyone got Megaman 10 from wiiware? I'm wondering if that is still as difficult?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Haven't played MM 10 yet, Ian-H and as for your encounter, Drift, well...I've had similar. I think too many people are, # 1, seduced by the current graphics and, # 2, dismiss anything older than a year as "stupid". These people can't comprehend that yes, sometimes, the older games WERE better and most times, they were genuinely difficult and complex, rather than...well...what we have now. Of course, a Game-Shark or Game Genie could fix that. I can proudly say I never used one. I remember back in the day before EVERY game, and this is a point I bring up to the DB's, Drift, had a strategy guide. You either had to call Nintendo/Sega and talk to one of the "gamemasters" for a tip on how to beat that section of the game or, you had to do it yourself. Or, you had to work with friends/family and puzzle it out. Those truly were the golden days of gaming. I remember beating FF 2 (4) and 3(6) all by myself, as well as Secret of Mana. I had a sense of accomplishment. I remember when the video game mags consisted of more than 3 titles and how they used to cover everything, including the occasional hint section.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:Haven't played MM 10 yet, Ian-H and as for your encounter, Drift, well...I've had similar. I think too many people are, # 1, seduced by the current graphics and, # 2, dismiss anything older than a year as "stupid". These people can't comprehend that yes, sometimes, the older games WERE better and most times, they were genuinely difficult and complex, rather than...well...what we have now. Of course, a Game-Shark or Game Genie could fix that. I can proudly say I never used one. I remember back in the day before EVERY game, and this is a point I bring up to the DB's, Drift, had a strategy guide. You either had to call Nintendo/Sega and talk to one of the "gamemasters" for a tip on how to beat that section of the game or, you had to do it yourself. Or, you had to work with friends/family and puzzle it out. Those truly were the golden days of gaming. I remember beating FF 2 (4) and 3(6) all by myself, as well as Secret of Mana. I had a sense of accomplishment. I remember when the video game mags consisted of more than 3 titles and how they used to cover everything, including the occasional hint section.
Phantasy Star 2 was IMPOSSIBLE without a strategy guide. The dungeons were so massive and difficult you couldn't just wander around hoping for the best, otherwise you would be very dead.

Never used a game-genie or anything, didn't see the point.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Haven't played MM 10 yet, Ian-H and as for your encounter, Drift, well...I've had similar. I think too many people are, # 1, seduced by the current graphics and, # 2, dismiss anything older than a year as "stupid". These people can't comprehend that yes, sometimes, the older games WERE better and most times, they were genuinely difficult and complex, rather than...well...what we have now. Of course, a Game-Shark or Game Genie could fix that. I can proudly say I never used one. I remember back in the day before EVERY game, and this is a point I bring up to the DB's, Drift, had a strategy guide. You either had to call Nintendo/Sega and talk to one of the "gamemasters" for a tip on how to beat that section of the game or, you had to do it yourself. Or, you had to work with friends/family and puzzle it out. Those truly were the golden days of gaming. I remember beating FF 2 (4) and 3(6) all by myself, as well as Secret of Mana. I had a sense of accomplishment. I remember when the video game mags consisted of more than 3 titles and how they used to cover everything, including the occasional hint section.
Phantasy Star 2 was IMPOSSIBLE without a strategy guide. The dungeons were so massive and difficult you couldn't just wander around hoping for the best, otherwise you would be very dead.

I didn't like GG's because they were "cheap" ways out and also, they could damage games/consoles. PS2, however...great game. I never did finish it.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:

I didn't like GG's because they were "cheap" ways out and also, they could damage games/consoles. PS2, however...great game. I never did finish it.
No nor me. I wonder if anyone ever did. I must have plowed ALOT of hours into that game.