X-O Manowar Back In Print

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

superggraphics
My posts can all fit in a short box
X-O Manowar Back In Print

Post by superggraphics »

Click on the link below. I've highlighted the name listing in the text and X-0's appearance in the drawing. I wonder what VEI thinks or if they even know.

http://i55.tinypic.com/15ebrs3.jpg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

If VEI is aware of this and therefore part of it, why aren't they talking about it? If they are not aware of it, why aren't they aware of it?

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

Attached is a link to the you tube video about the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCVBE0Z_nQ

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Thats pretty strange really.. I wonder if VEI can license a character for just a series or so many issue? :hm: :?

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

They have the first issue for sale as a digital download at the link attached below. Looks like it is 6 issues in total so X-O may or may not make an appearance in every issue.

http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=7014

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

http://www.examiner.com/comic-books-in- ... lla-comics
Crossovers aren't just for Marvel and DC characters anymore! Dave Ryan, a New Jersey artist and founder of his own Red Anvil Comics label, has spent over two years trying to go about the unthinkable; producing a crossover mini series featuring almost every independently owned comic book character that exists. "WAR OF THE INDEPENDENTS", a mini series that features 200 characters meeting and uniting to deal with a common enemy. The line up includes everyone from Madman to the Maxx to the Tick, Bone, Scud The Disposable Assassin, Too Much Coffee Man, Megaton Man, Milk & Cheese, Shi, Usagi Yojimbo, Flaming Carrot, Captain Action, Zen, even Gumby and Dave Sims' Cerebus! Ryan explains to Comic Book Resources that his intention is not to produce a slugfest, but to introduce audiences to as many indie characters as possible while writing stories that feel appropriate for them (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=28710). The characters have their own segments that key in on what they do best, and on the style their creators gave them. Ryan has permission to use all the characters he is using from their original creators, and has spent years getting around the red tape. The first print of the first issue (1,500 copies) was offered at the New York Comic Con and for other signings, and will be listed under Diamond soon.
How come no one from VEI mentioned anything? :?

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

They also have trading cards of War of the Independents for $21.95 BIN.

http://cgi.ebay.com/War-Independents-Tr ... 0504551074
The War of the Independents Trading Card Set features fifty of the most popular characters from the series with full color art. The uniqueness of the concept will ensure it instantly becomes a sought after collectible.

This fifty card set will be packaged and sold complete and in its entirety. It will be shipped in decorative plastic containers. Each set will also include three Chase Cards and one signed creator card in every set. There will also be a unique Special Chase Sketch Card by an artist from the series, these Original Art Cards are sure to become hot collectibles. Each package will include the following:

A) Full Set of Trading Cards (50 cards total)

B) One of the above cards will be a creator autographed card guaranteed included in every set

C) Special Gold Foil Original One-of-a-Kind Chase Card

D) Decorative Gold Foil plastic container

E) Certificate of authenticity

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Interesting project if everything is legit.

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

IanAlexavier wrote:Thats pretty strange really.. I wonder if VEI can license a character for just a series or so many issue? :hm: :?
I would think they could do whatever they wanted, probably just "loaned" the character for the book for the exposure.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

iggy101us wrote:http://www.examiner.com/comic-books-in- ... lla-comics
Crossovers aren't just for Marvel and DC characters anymore! Dave Ryan, a New Jersey artist and founder of his own Red Anvil Comics label, has spent over two years trying to go about the unthinkable; producing a crossover mini series featuring almost every independently owned comic book character that exists. "WAR OF THE INDEPENDENTS", a mini series that features 200 characters meeting and uniting to deal with a common enemy. The line up includes everyone from Madman to the Maxx to the Tick, Bone, Scud The Disposable Assassin, Too Much Coffee Man, Megaton Man, Milk & Cheese, Shi, Usagi Yojimbo, Flaming Carrot, Captain Action, Zen, even Gumby and Dave Sims' Cerebus! Ryan explains to Comic Book Resources that his intention is not to produce a slugfest, but to introduce audiences to as many indie characters as possible while writing stories that feel appropriate for them (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=28710). The characters have their own segments that key in on what they do best, and on the style their creators gave them. Ryan has permission to use all the characters he is using from their original creators, and has spent years getting around the red tape. The first print of the first issue (1,500 copies) was offered at the New York Comic Con and for other signings, and will be listed under Diamond soon.
How come no one from VEI mentioned anything? :?
I assume this is a rhetorical question. Just kidding. Sort of. :P

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I may end up picking this series up, as I'm supporting one of the indie creators of one of the characters involved.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Just sent the seller a question as to whether X-O Manowar appears on any of these cards.

iggy101us wrote:They also have trading cards of War of the Independents for $21.95 BIN.

http://cgi.ebay.com/War-Independents-Tr ... 0504551074
The War of the Independents Trading Card Set features fifty of the most popular characters from the series with full color art. The uniqueness of the concept will ensure it instantly becomes a sought after collectible.

This fifty card set will be packaged and sold complete and in its entirety. It will be shipped in decorative plastic containers. Each set will also include three Chase Cards and one signed creator card in every set. There will also be a unique Special Chase Sketch Card by an artist from the series, these Original Art Cards are sure to become hot collectibles. Each package will include the following:

A) Full Set of Trading Cards (50 cards total)

B) One of the above cards will be a creator autographed card guaranteed included in every set

C) Special Gold Foil Original One-of-a-Kind Chase Card

D) Decorative Gold Foil plastic container

E) Certificate of authenticity

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I read War Of The Independents was scheduled for mid-2008 release. I wonder what the delay is.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

StarBrand wrote:I read War Of The Independents was scheduled for mid-2008 release. I wonder what the delay is.
My guess is the delay has been getting the rights cleared to use all the characters. Some of these characters are still in print or went out of print relatively recently, so the idea that it has been a rights issue does not seem far-fetched.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

xodacia81 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I read War Of The Independents was scheduled for mid-2008 release. I wonder what the delay is.
My guess is the delay has been getting the rights cleared to use all the characters. Some of these characters are still in print or went out of print relatively recently, so the idea that it has been a rights issue does not seem far-fetched.
You're probably right. Makes me wonder if and when it will ever see print.
It seems the trading cards are out, though?!?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

StarBrand wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
My thought is that the cards are an easy way to get some revenue, particularly given the delays involved with this project. Plus, they help market the series.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

xodacia81 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
My thought is that the cards are an easy way to get some revenue, particularly given the delays involved with this project. Plus, they help market the series.
The set is 50 cards, so maybe they used characters they definately had the 'okay' to use.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

StarBrand wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
The set is 50 cards, so maybe they used characters they definately had the 'okay' to use.
:hm: Makes sense :hm:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

It appears War Of The Independents was pre-released at NYCC, and should be in Diamond soon.

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

You can purchase it as a digital download at http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=7014 for $1.00. I would suggest that rather than paying the $5.00 for the print version. I'm wondering whether the promo art in the Wizard piece is the most current version as I've seen the same piece of artwork with X-O replaced by a different character.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

According to Dinesh, they were not given permission to use XO.

Don't know much else about this though.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

wrunow wrote:According to Dinesh, they were not given permission to use XO.
Thanks for letting us know.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Thanks for letting us know.
Yes, thanks, this is important info.

/Magnus

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Oopsie.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I wonder if Steve Engelhart was the person that gave permission.

I am not saying he had the permission to give, just that he might have been the person they talked to.