ARCHER & ARMSTRONG 4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
ARCHER & ARMSTRONG 4 Discussion

Post by Dr. Solar »

So, Project Rising Spirit adoption agency?

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: ARCHER & ARMSTRONG 4 Discussion

Post by pixierosa »

Apparently. I was thinking he was more of a Harbinger and not "made". Still is probably the case - reading the Bloodshot gives a little insight into the nursery.

I loved this book! It felt like a lot happened but it wasn't rushed. Revelations...
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

TONS of revelations. The Boon, Ivar is a timewalking. Still a lot left unexplained though.

Yeah, I agree that Archer seems more like a Harbinger than an experiment, though I'm guessing that P:RS likes to experiment on harbingers.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Yeah, I agree that Archer seems more like a Harbinger than an experiment, though I'm guessing that P:RS likes to experiment on harbingers.
That's my belief, too. I'm interested in what happened to Mary-Marie. She was initially a further distance from the boon when it started, but it looked like the life was sucked out of her. She either wasn't dead, or somehow the boon restored her. But why only her? Which also makes you wonder why the brothers were "spared" initially. Plus, why did she wander off? I don't think she'd ever just leave Archer if she was "herself". Kind of reminded me of the Bleeding Monk walking off in Harbinger. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Next phase: action travel adventure as they race to the next Geomancer.

This is a good story but I appreciate all the nudges and winks, too. I wouldn't want all of my titles to be that way, but it plays out well here.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

pixierosa wrote:I'm interested in what happened to Mary-Marie. She was initially a further distance from the boon when it started, but it looked like the life was sucked out of her. She either wasn't dead, or somehow the boon restored her. But why only her?
I thought Archer made some kind of deal with Ivar to save Mary-Maria... it was hard to tell if Ivar was involved. :hm:

In the last panel, her eyes are white like Aram's... which means the Boon is healing her the way Aram described his own eyes.
I'd say Mary-Maria has a few lives yet to live. :hm: :hm:

New question... possibly stupid...

Is Archer even human? :?

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

I wondered about Archer, too. He wasn't affected by the boon. If it sucks out mortal life...

I wasn't sure if Ivar had actually done anything. If he can manipulate the boon's powers, then why the urgency to have it destroyed? But if he did manipulate it to revive Mary Maria, then maybe he was able to block Archer from its power since he needed Archer's skills to destroy it.

I caught that about Mary Maria's eyes, but I think it's weird she just took off.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

I liked this issue. The artwork is always solid and for me its starting to be more of a story and less of a "joke" (for lack of a better description). I would still say this series is #5 overall for me, but I am enjoying it.

That being said I am REALLY looking forward to next issue. EW was always may favorite character in the valiant universe and I can't wait to see him in print again (finally!).
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

swtor1091
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Flamingo
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by swtor1091 »

I dont mean to sound like a hater here because I love Valiant 8-).... it's just that this issue and number three didnt do it for me as well as issues one and two.... i'm hoping that issue five is better,.. i cant really explain why these issues were worse its just that they weren't clicking for me....
A shameful plug to the book i am currently writing. Please like my page so when I try to publish it I already have a following... https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blac ... 9693235948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Good issue. I think FVL is starting to find the right voices for the characters here as the first arc ends, which has me looking forward to the next arc.

One gripe...While I liked the use of the "Krakkabathroom" sound effect which FVL made famous in Incredible Herc, I hated that it was used twice. Once is a wink to fans of that series, like myself, but twice is lazy.

Greg and Pixie, I like the theory that Ivar may have been manipulating the power of the Boon to revive Mary-Maria and protect Archer, but I have another thought...What if Harbingers are immune to the Boon?

Evidence:

A) When the Boon was activated the only people unaffected are Aram, Obie and the Geomancer. While a mystical title, could the ability to talk to the Earth be a Harbinger ability? Or closely mimic one?

B) There has to be a reason the Anni Padda survived and were imbued with the Boon's power. We initially thought it was where they were standing/their proximity to the Boon, but here we saw everyone in that room was being drained except the three I mentioned. We know in VH1 that Ivar's ability to access time portals was a Harbinger ability...Perhaps all three brothers are Harbingers in this universe?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

erwinrafael
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

I think this is the only time I laughed hard when somebody died. The Geomancer's death was hilarious. :clap:

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

BugsySig wrote:Greg and Pixie, I like the theory that Ivar may have been manipulating the power of the Boon to revive Mary-Maria and protect Archer, but I have another thought...What if Harbingers are immune to the Boon?

Evidence:

A) When the Boon was activated the only people unaffected are Aram, Obie and the Geomancer. While a mystical title, could the ability to talk to the Earth be a Harbinger ability? Or closely mimic one?

B) There has to be a reason the Anni Padda survived and were imbued with the Boon's power. We initially thought it was where they were standing/their proximity to the Boon, but here we saw everyone in that room was being drained except the three I mentioned. We know in VH1 that Ivar's ability to access time portals was a Harbinger ability...Perhaps all three brothers are Harbingers in this universe?
I was thinking it was possible that the harbingers were immune for some reason, but I was sure about the Anni Padda. I like that theory that they were all harbingers as mortals, which might be why they were the ones sent to retrieve the boon in the first place.

I don't know about the Geomancer being a Harbinger-ability ... I don't think it would pass on from person to person if it was. But it must be something similar. But if the boon recognizes this earth magic, then is it somehow of the earth and not alien, like some of our hypotheses?

If the Nazi monks could access all the knowledge, then they should have known how the boon gained power. The Anni Padda survived and would have added that knowledge to the pool.

Savant

Post by Savant »

Archer & Armstrong has refreshingly been one of the best titles under the new Valiant stable, and from what I remember, I've enjoyed issues 3 & 4 more than the first two issues.

pixierosa wrote:
I caught that about Mary Maria's eyes, but I think it's weird she just took off.
Probably took off because she was bewildered, no one was around so she didn't hear any voices (She seemingly awakened after A&A left the building), and while the Boon was healing her she may have been blind. At least, that was the impression I got with her eyes being blank like Armstrong's were earlier.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Savant wrote:Archer & Armstrong has refreshingly been one of the best titles under the new Valiant stable, and from what I remember, I've enjoyed issues 3 & 4 more than the first two issues.

pixierosa wrote:
Probably took off because she was bewildered, no one was around so she didn't hear any voices (She seemingly awakened after A&A left the building), and while the Boon was healing her she may have been blind. At least, that was the impression I got with her eyes being blank like Armstrong's were earlier.
Well Armstrong said he has a million lives in him, how many could MM have? A dozen? That's enough to last almost a thousand years...

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

BugsySig wrote:
Savant wrote:Archer & Armstrong has refreshingly been one of the best titles under the new Valiant stable, and from what I remember, I've enjoyed issues 3 & 4 more than the first two issues.

pixierosa wrote:
Well Armstrong said he has a million lives in him, how many could MM have? A dozen? That's enough to last almost a thousand years...
And that's the drama potential. Archer made Mary-Maria an immortal, which means that he condemned her to a lonely life that would outlive their "love".

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

erwinrafael wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

pixierosa wrote:
And that's the drama potential. Archer made Mary-Maria an immortal, which means that he condemned her to a lonely life that would outlive their "love".
Agreed. And rather poignant for this story.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

pixierosa wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Greg and Pixie, I like the theory that Ivar may have been manipulating the power of the Boon to revive Mary-Maria and protect Archer, but I have another thought...What if Harbingers are immune to the Boon?

Evidence:

I was thinking it was possible that the harbingers were immune for some reason, but I was sure about the Anni Padda. I like that theory that they were all harbingers as mortals, which might be why they were the ones sent to retrieve the boon in the first place.

I don't know about the Geomancer being a Harbinger-ability ... I don't think it would pass on from person to person if it was. But it must be something similar. But if the boon recognizes this earth magic, then is it somehow of the earth and not alien, like some of our hypotheses?

If the Nazi monks could access all the knowledge, then they should have known how the boon gained power. The Anni Padda survived and would have added that knowledge to the pool.
I think the Nazi monks can not read properly the minds of the Anni Padda. Which is why Aram can hide the pieces of the Boon.

I also agree that the Anni Padda have harbinger abilities and that harbingers are immune from the effect of the Boon.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

So, if the brothers are harbingers psiots, what are their powers?
Is timewalking a psiot ability?
What is Gilad's? Armstrong's?

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

I gave it through the first arc, as much as it pains me to say it. I pretty much hate the new Archer and Armstrong. The art is great, no complaints there but this book is terrible. There just isn't anything funny or even interesting about it. I know it's well reviewed and loved by some, so maybe it's just me. I'll likely continue to buy it, just to keep my collection together. At this point I can only hope that FVL gets an exclusive gig at Marvel so he stops ruining the Valiant universe. Just my opinion, and yes, I know we all have them.

erwinrafael

Post by erwinrafael »

Blood of Heroes wrote:So, if the brothers are harbingers psiots, what are their powers?
Gilad appears to be able to talk to the Earth based on this issue.

Armstrong is quite strong, as he can pull vault doors open. :p

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

erwinrafael wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:So, if the brothers are harbingers psiots, what are their powers?
Gilad appears to be able to talk to the Earth based on this issue.

Armstrong is quite strong, as he can pull vault doors open. :p
Well played, Erwin. Well played.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

What if Archer is a Vine Planting Psiot? :hm:

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Dr. Solar wrote:So, Project Rising Spirit adoption agency?
I've never wanted to have kids but i'd totally adopt a baby Harbinger
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Was it just my issue, or was Aram's dialogue missing in the panel where Ivar talks to Archer in null-space? Aram's body language seems to indicate that whatever he's saying is pretty powerful.

Or is the idea that once pulled into null-space, time stopped for Aram? It wasn't all that clear; I'll have to read it again.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:Was it just my issue, or was Aram's dialogue missing in the panel where Ivar talks to Archer in null-space? Aram's body language seems to indicate that whatever he's saying is pretty powerful.

Or is the idea that once pulled into null-space, time stopped for Aram? It wasn't all that clear; I'll have to read it again.
I read it as though Aram was saying something but Archer couldn't hear it because he was talking to Ivar. The opposit was likely true as well.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

hawkeyeps wrote:What if Archer is a Vine Planting Psiot? :hm:
What if ALL psiots/harbingers are descendents of the vine planting? :hm: