Bloodshot #10 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

blujay
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2011
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Bloodshot #10 Discussion

Post by blujay »

WOW. This was easily the best issue of bloodshot/harbinger wars yet. This book was all about Bloodshot as a character and man did it hit it's mark. Way to go Duane!

Scott M Davis
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: '92! Represent!
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Re: Bloodshot #10 Discussion

Post by Scott M Davis »

Yea, I just tweeted that this is finally a good issue of Bloodshot. I know Duane is a good writer but this is hands down, the best issue he has written.

The series, IMO, has been riding the 1.5/5 range. This is a 5/5 comic.

This crossover is gonna be awesome!
Pull List: Valiant, Haunted Horror, Popeye Classics

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

A very good issue. Very character focused, with just enough action, similar to XO #12.

We also got some more insight into the kids. Seems like Clem and Kalea aren't fully on the Bloodshot bandwagon yet and will be big players moving forward.

Can't believe its a full 2 weeks until Harbinger Wars #2 :!:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

cant wait to grab em after work!
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Stringer
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by Stringer »

Good issue, the pacing was nice.

Seeing Katherine chatting with her brother, James, via telepathy did well to remind us of her current predicament. And It also had me wondering if the two siblings will incite further communications between the two factions and eventually lead Bloodshot to meet up and hand the kids to Christian. If anything, I'm sure if these two groups met it would be a relatively peaceful encounter because of the siblings.

Anyways, I had no big qualms here. Nice read overall.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

BugsySig wrote:A very good issue. Very character focused, with just enough action, similar to XO #12.

We also got some more insight into the kids. Seems like Clem and Kalea aren't fully on the Bloodshot bandwagon yet and will be big players moving forward.

That was my reaction, too. This issue was the most human yet, and made Bloodshot vulnerable, less of an infallible machine. Clem and Kalea will be a potential thorn - if they want to control Bloodshot, I wonder what their plans are, other to be out from underneath someone else's thumb.

As stated before, I think the telepathy between the twins will help bring the two groups together in a less confrontational way. I'm sure Pete's own powers will eventually lead him to the group of kids with Christian, then perhaps help with locating Bloodshot's group.

What do you guys thinks? Will Pete have a group and end up working with Bloodshot, or will Pete and Harada converge on Christian's group around the same time?
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

pixierosa wrote:
BugsySig wrote:A very good issue. Very character focused, with just enough action, similar to XO #12.

That was my reaction, too. This issue was the most human yet, and made Bloodshot vulnerable, less of an infallible machine. Clem and Kalea will be a potential thorn - if they want to control Bloodshot, I wonder what their plans are, other to be out from underneath someone else's thumb.

As stated before, I think the telepathy between the twins will help bring the two groups together in a less confrontational way. I'm sure Pete's own powers will eventually lead him to the group of kids with Christian, then perhaps help with locating Bloodshot's group.

What do you guys thinks? Will Pete have a group and end up working with Bloodshot, or will Pete and Harada converge on Christian's group around the same time?
I agree with all of this...great issue!

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Really enjoyed this issue (and the Harbinger Wars in general). Liked the mix of action and characterization.

Only downside for me was that i missed Garcia's art. Kitson isn't bad, but Garcia is much better for this book IMHO. Hope he isn't gone too long!
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I really enjoyed the issue but I have to admit I was kinda confused about what was going on at the outset. I didn't immediately grasp that Clem and Kalea (do I have that right?) were mind controlling one of the henchmen. For a moment there I thought it was a HardCorp thing.

But the kid's line about these poor guys just doing it because they needed benefits (health insurance presumably) is a little much. "Honey? We really do need a family policy. Why not take that job to kill a guy and enslave some children?" :lol:

blujay

Post by blujay »

jmatt wrote:But the kid's line about these poor guys just doing it because they needed benefits (health insurance presumably) is a little much. "Honey? We really do need a family policy. Why not take that job to kill a guy and enslave some children?" :lol:
:funnypost:

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Great issue, probably the best yet. I got chills when he talked about missing his family.
We now know for sure that Pulse is dead. That's a shame.
Also, Kara's brother was brought up again. "Banged up in Iraq" has HARD Corps written all over it.

blujay

Post by blujay »

Blood of Heroes wrote:Also, Kara's brother was brought up again. "Banged up in Iraq" has HARD Corps written all over it.
I sure hope so, that would be an awesome twist. Plus I really don't want her to die like Pulse :(

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

I'm finding it hard to figure out which of the kids is doing what and when. It's a minor gripe, sure.... but I'm concerned that someone picking this up would be like "Oh cool... guns...bloood... BIG GIANT MONSTER?! WTF?"

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

jmatt wrote:
But the kid's line about these poor guys just doing it because they needed benefits (health insurance presumably) is a little much. "Honey? We really do need a family policy. Why not take that job to kill a guy and enslave some children?" :lol:
One of my favorite scenes ... these weren't PRS agents, they were presumably a classified division of the government probably made up mostly of former Army, Marine, Navy Seal heroes. They were given orders to bring back the kids alive ..and I'm sure the power that be mentioned the deranged, dangerous Albino that "captured them". The agents could have easily been HARD Corps agents on a mission to save these children. Given that assumption, its probably the reason why Bloodshot wanted to give them a shot to walk away. I don't think we should presume that all these people that get killed are all inherently evil and deserve to be killed. But like Bloodshot says 'its kill or be killed' but I enjoyed the fact that there was some realization and insight from a little girl that maybe death and killing shouldn't be so easily accepted.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Overall, I thought this was a very good issue. I think Barry Kitson art was very strong and I enjoyed his depiction of Bloodshot. Manual Garcia was great at the blood and action but I didn't always enjoy the way he drew Bloodshot.

The story was good .. I liked the little girl who had insight on the pain and suffering around her and made Bloodshot feel that pain. Maybe mentioning Money and Health Benefits was a little much (mentioning the kids at home and providing for them would have been enough) but I think that "power" was pretty interesting and like the angle that brought to the action.

The nitpick I have with D.S is that he likes to throw out bones without enough meat on them. He really emphasized the idea that Bloodshot felt he had a REAL family at one point ... which is great and interesting ... but I wish he provided a little bit more meat to chew on! Overall 7/10 - another enjoyable issue in the Harbinger Wars saga
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

bygranddesign wrote:I don't think we should presume that all these people that get killed are all inherently evil and deserve to be killed.
The guy walks up to him, announces "We're the guys who don't give a *SQUEE*", and shoots him in the chest with a shotgun at point-blank range. If that guy was in it for the health benefits he's sure to be called down to Human Resources on Monday morning and be assigned to an anger management course. :lol:

Saying "he's in it for the money" flies. Saying "he's in it for the Dental Program" is silly.

caniac
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

jmatt wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:I don't think we should presume that all these people that get killed are all inherently evil and deserve to be killed.
The guy walks up to him, announces "We're the guys who don't give a *SQUEE*", and shoots him in the chest with a shotgun at point-blank range. If that guy was in it for the health benefits he's sure to be called down to Human Resources on Monday morning and be assigned to an anger management course. :lol:

Saying "he's in it for the money" flies. Saying "he's in it for the Dental Program" is silly.
Too true :lol:

Johnny America
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: Summer of Valiant
Favorite character: X-O Manowar/Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Venditti

Post by Johnny America »

This issue had me as soon as Bloodshot pulled the machete out of his shoulder. I love the character development with Bloodshot. I really enjoyed the kids becoming part of the story. More than anything I want at least one awesome fight in every issue of Bloodshot, and #10 did not fail to deliver on that front.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:

I actually don't see a problem with (most likely) military veterans, who may have had issues finding work, taking a job with a private military outfit for the pay and benefits.

That little girl was in their heads, picking up signals. It could have been from just a few of them and still have been enough for her to have an emotional response to it.

Bloodshot knew, however, that why you took the job (in general terms, not this specific "job") and what you are willing to do on the job are two entirely different things.

Johnny America
Valiant fan since: Summer of Valiant
Favorite character: X-O Manowar/Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Venditti

Post by Johnny America »

BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I actually don't see a problem with (most likely) military veterans, who may have had issues finding work, taking a job with a private military outfit for the pay and benefits.

That little girl was in their heads, picking up signals. It could have been from just a few of them and still have been enough for her to have an emotional response to it.

Bloodshot knew, however, that why you took the job (in general terms, not this specific "job") and what you are willing to do on the job are two entirely different things.

I agree with your breakdown of the situation.

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

One of the best issues of the series so far, felt like a substantial read. I'm glad they addressed Bloodshots arm growing back on page 1 following the last issue, initially I thought they'd made a continuity oversight.

One thing I was confused about, towards the end he (finally!) covers up and puts on a black t-shirt but the red circle still appears on his chest? Is this supposed to be blood seeping through the t-shirt?? :?

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: One thing I was confused about, towards the end he (finally!) covers up and puts on a black t-shirt but the red circle still appears on his chest? Is this supposed to be blood seeping through the t-shirt?? :?
yes

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:One of the best issues of the series so far, felt like a substantial read. I'm glad they addressed Bloodshots arm growing back on page 1 following the last issue, initially I thought they'd made a continuity oversight.

One thing I was confused about, towards the end he (finally!) covers up and puts on a black t-shirt but the red circle still appears on his chest? Is this supposed to be blood seeping through the t-shirt?? :?
Lol, I was a little taken aback when I saw that too, like he's set up this backup-plan hideout for them with all the rations and stuff, and stashed a specially-printed tshirt with his red dot design on it 'just incase' as well. When did he get his narcissistic T shirts made eh? :hm:

Anyway, I didn't read into it too much, because this black t shirt/red dot design was shown a while back on the character design sheets that were on the variant cover of some particular early issue of Bloodshot.

Does there need to be a reason that his red dot motif is on his shirt? Can everyone be okay with the idea of it just being 'the comic artists thought it would look cool so there it is'?

Anyway, everything I could want to say about it has been said, so I'll just say that this and Harbinger Wars #1 are the best Valiant comics that I've read so far. I always enjoy my Valiant every month, but this is the first month i've thought "Wow, that really was good." after reading :)

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:One of the best issues of the series so far, felt like a substantial read. I'm glad they addressed Bloodshots arm growing back on page 1 following the last issue, initially I thought they'd made a continuity oversight.

Lol, I was a little taken aback when I saw that too, like he's set up this backup-plan hideout for them with all the rations and stuff, and stashed a specially-printed tshirt with his red dot design on it 'just incase' as well. When did he get his narcissistic T shirts made eh? :hm:

Anyway, I didn't read into it too much, because this black t shirt/red dot design was shown a while back on the character design sheets that were on the variant cover of some particular early issue of Bloodshot.

Does there need to be a reason that his red dot motif is on his shirt? Can everyone be okay with the idea of it just being 'the comic artists thought it would look cool so there it is'?

Anyway, everything I could want to say about it has been said, so I'll just say that this and Harbinger Wars #1 are the best Valiant comics that I've read so far. I always enjoy my Valiant every month, but this is the first month i've thought "Wow, that really was good." after reading :)
Glad we agree it was a good issue, apart from the odd month this title is comfortably in the top 3 VEI books (behind Harby & XO). Although the red dot on his t-shirt may seem trivial, there still needs to be a level of logic there to explain it. Of course we have to be able to suspend disbelief in order to dnjoy this genre in the first place but (to me at least) this doesnt give the artist cart blanche to draw whetever purely because it looks cool? If its blood seeping through, then fine but if he had a pre printed t-shirt with a red dot on it then that's detrimental to the story as it doesn't make sense? Of course, people will point to the whole concept of Bloodshot not making 'sense' but at least it's dxplained within the parameters of the story.

That said, I'm happy enough with the unhealing wound explanation as I assume its integral to the story of Bloodshot and will have greater relevance down the line. :hm:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I just figured he was a Rai fan. :kidaround:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.