Harbinger Wars #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Harbinger Wars #3 Discussion

Post by lorddunlow »

I agree with a lot that was said here, so I'll just discuss the Harada thing which was only briefly mentioned by others.

Was this stasis he went into his own doing? I suppose that if it is, then he has conditioned his mind and body over the years to do this any time he becomes incapacitated. However, I wonder if someone else transported him to safety - perhaps the Bleeding Monk or a as-yet-unrevealed character?

I think PRS has figured out psiot abilities inside and out. The implants actually do to regular people, what psiots are born with. The drawbacks are three for bran surgery and subsequent side effects.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

fantastic introduction to the HARD Corps. Nice little twist that they feel pain whenever an ability downloads into their brain. Head shot to Shadow was rough but this is war. Maniac is living up to his name - I can't see him making it through Harbinger Wars - he is so far gone mentally its gonna get him killed. HARD Corps is definitely coming across a lot darker and unsympathetic at the start. Palmer comes across as very tough and cold blooded leader but i'm sure his image will soften when we hear his story.

Good job by Dysart creating such annoying little brats in the Zygos twins. Just want to smack them around.

Love the final page with Harada. He is ready to lay the smack down on everyone. Love it!

Overall a very solid issue - storytelling and art. It wasn't a 'wow me' issue like the Harada Protocol but very good setup issue for the final battle. 7.9/10
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:I agree with a lot that was said here, so I'll just discuss the Harada thing which was only briefly mentioned by others.

Was this stasis he went into his own doing? I suppose that if it is, then he has conditioned his mind and body over the years to do this any time he becomes incapacitated. However, I wonder if someone else transported him to safety - perhaps the Bleeding Monk or a as-yet-unrevealed character?

I think PRS has figured out psiot abilities inside and out. The implants actually do to regular people, what psiots are born with. The drawbacks are three for bran surgery and subsequent side effects.
I think Haradas state may be similar to how VH1 Pete had a defense mechanism even he wasn't always aware of. Like when Harada tried to have him assassinated in the original #0 issue.

I agree HARD Corps are regular joes and not Psiots, but I believe either Gage or Dysart said only certain members of the population are capable of surviving the process. So there is something special about them. Reminds me a bit of the Stargate TV series where some people were more closely related to the Ancients and therefore could access certain technology.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

lorddunlow wrote:I agree with a lot that was said here, so I'll just discuss the Harada thing which was only briefly mentioned by others.

Yeah, it might have been a way to reboot himself / rejuvenate and re-energize. The force field protecting him as he recovers. I do think the Bleeding Monk could be in the mix as well - showing him a vision during that time to show him what must be done. I think we will find out in the next Harbinger issue - I have a feeling it will deal a lot with that moment.

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

BugsySig wrote:

I think Haradas state may be similar to how VH1 Pete had a defense mechanism even he wasn't always aware of. Like when Harada tried to have him assassinated in the original #0 issue.

I agree HARD Corps are regular joes and not Psiots, but I believe either Gage or Dysart said only certain members of the population are capable of surviving the process. So there is something special about them. Reminds me a bit of the Stargate TV series where some people were more closely related to the Ancients and therefore could access certain technology.
Yeah they didn't go into that in the story yet but that's what they said during some of the Valiant Panels at the Cons. I think that will make for a very interesting twist/plot point. Its probably why they tolerate an unstable person like Maniac as part of the group. He has a certain genetic makeup that makes him compatible for this unique process making him too valuable to simply not use him.

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

I was on the fence about buying Bloodshot once Hard Corps is added but that indecision has been shot in the head.
Joshua Dysart is indeed a rock shot pimp ready to kick that sick wizardry.
Sorry, but I had to put that line in somewhere.

I have a place in my heart for fictional maniacs so I hope this Maniac lives longer than the last one. I am embarrassingly giddy about further Hard Corps action especially if there will be a revamped Flatline and Midnight Earl.

It was nice seeing The Renegades act like a team and it looks like Stronghold may be the next to go rogue. This just encourages my pipe dream of a Livewire/Stronghold series.

The cell phone networks being used to power our beloved corps could provide some comic relief in the future. I sense jokes about bars and dropped calls in the future.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Wow - I wont repeat what everyone has said but this was a great comic. One of the best Valiant has put out so fat (Hats off to Josh Dysart)

Some talking points:

- I loved the impact the HARD CORPS had. It was immediate and brutal but what impressed me more was the characterisation of each of the members. I dont want any of these guys to take a dirt nap any time soon yet know full well that its inevitable. It takes damn good writing to make a reader care about characters that have only been around for half a comic (I havent read the previous HARD CORPS comics).

- Shadow's death was perfectly executed, however, does that leave the hostages without the military projections? Could they not up and leave? Additionally, does this mean the Government will send in cops, army etc. now that the armed 'terrorists' have vanished into thin air?

- Torque is shown being shot at (and looks to be hit multiple times) by Bloodshot while holding onto Bloodshot's vehicle, surely this would result in fatal wounds to Torque yet it didnt seem to be much of an issue for him...

I loved this from start to finish. The HARBINGER WARS comics alone have been diverse and delivered a very character centric story, I just dont know how everything can wrap up in one issue. I'm hoping the remaining tie ins of Harbinger and Bloodshot give us more progression rather than re-hashing these same events as in Harbinger Wars #3.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

^^^^^
Torques pojection is like a protective shell. He fell out of a plane, so I think he can survive a bullet. Plus he's been shown to deflect them before when they were on the plane with PRS and again in Pete's vision of Bloodshot.

ValiantReader
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1
Favorite character: Torque

Post by ValiantReader »

BugsySig wrote:^^^^^
Torques pojection is like a protective shell. He fell out of a plane, so I think he can survive a bullet. Plus he's been shown to deflect them before when they were on the plane with PRS and again in Pete's vision of Bloodshot.
Yea Torque is like the hulk bullets just wont due. I think Bloodshot would meet his match just against Torque. I don't think bloodshot has a Torque protocol so he is kinda screwed. Unless he can find a way to use that power disabling field. Then Torque would become a weak boy again and Bloodshot would well hopefully he wouldn't but we all know what he is capable of.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

BugsySig wrote:

I'm doing a first ever watch of SG-1, I'm going to finish with the S8 two parter tonight, so I'm far enough along now to get that reference. No spoilers for the last two seasons though!! 8-)

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Captain Craig wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

I'm doing a first ever watch of SG-1, I'm going to finish with the S8 two parter tonight, so I'm far enough along now to get that reference. No spoilers for the last two seasons though!! 8-)
My wife and I tried to start up a rewatch of the whole Stargate universe of shows and films, but we only got through the movie and the pilot before life put it on hold. Love, love, love SG-1. Atlantis is almost as good, if not sometimes better. Avoid Stargate: Universe like the plague. I'm so upset they canceled Atlantis for that crap. That franchise could have been the next Star Trek - it never had to end; limitless potential for stories, and they successfully transitioned off of the original team. Seasons 8 and 9 are my favorites (although Seasons 3 and 4 are up there).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

My wife and I tried to start up a rewatch of the whole Stargate universe of shows and films, but we only got through the movie and the pilot before life put it on hold. Love, love, love SG-1. Atlantis is almost as good, if not sometimes better. Avoid Stargate: Universe like the plague. I'm so upset they canceled Atlantis for that crap. That franchise could have been the next Star Trek - it never had to end; limitless potential for stories, and they successfully transitioned off of the original team. Seasons 8 and 9 are my favorites (although Seasons 3 and 4 are up there).
I actually thought Atlantis was terrible, though some of the changes after the first season were big improvements. I actually liked Universe :? though there were some odd decisions made in that series.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

I hear largely good things about Atlantis and will try it eventually.
After SG-1 I'm doing a first ever watch of Babylon 5 then a few one off seasons I need to catch up on of various shows. Give my self some time away from the Stargate world. I feel it did achieve becoming a near equal to Star Trek in terms of spinoff and genre appeal. Now if it circles back to the big screen like Trek did, all the better.

I was kinda surprised Sci-Fi cancelled Caprica after one season, it felt like the Battlestar Galactica universe would make a run to challenge SG. Haven't seen Caprica or Blood&Chrome yet, loved nuBSG though.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Captain Craig wrote:I hear largely good things about Atlantis and will try it eventually.
After SG-1 I'm doing a first ever watch of Babylon 5 then a few one off seasons I need to catch up on of various shows. Give my self some time away from the Stargate world. I feel it did achieve becoming a near equal to Star Trek in terms of spinoff and genre appeal. Now if it circles back to the big screen like Trek did, all the better.

I was kinda surprised Sci-Fi cancelled Caprica after one season, it felt like the Battlestar Galactica universe would make a run to challenge SG. Haven't seen Caprica or Blood&Chrome yet, loved nuBSG though.
Tell us what you think of B5! My favorite series as a whole.

BSG is weird for me. I tried and tried and tried to get into it. There's just something about it that I couldn't force myself to watch it. Caprica on the other hand, is a great show. I loved it. I still haven't finished it though.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

lorddunlow wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:I hear largely good things about Atlantis and will try it eventually.

Tell us what you think of B5! My favorite series as a whole.

BSG is weird for me. I tried and tried and tried to get into it. There's just something about it that I couldn't force myself to watch it. Caprica on the other hand, is a great show. I loved it. I still haven't finished it though.
Second this... Babylon 5 is me most favorite sci-fi show ever, with Doctor Who coming in close second.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

When I get to B-5 I'll let you guys know what I think.
It's the last of the major 90's sci-fi series that had acclaim I've not seen.

Andromeda, Earth Final Conflict have their fans but not wide appeal so those shows aren't on my immediate radar.

Farscape though....that was fun, watched that last year.
Dr.Who...maybe one day.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Captain Craig wrote:When I get to B-5 I'll let you guys know what I think.
It's the last of the major 90's sci-fi series that had acclaim I've not seen.

Andromeda, Earth Final Conflict have their fans but not wide appeal so those shows aren't on my immediate radar.

Farscape though....that was fun, watched that last year.
Dr.Who...maybe one day.
I love Farscape. And if you just start with the most recent series, Dr. Who is more manageable and still well worth the watch.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I don't think of myself as a Babylon 5 fan but I enjoyed the show. It is almost painful making it through season 1 and season 5 mostly coasts from a sense of obligation.

They had a Babylon 5 reunion panel at a comic con in Phoenix recently and I started joking about re-enacting my favourite scene from season 5 by punching the guy that played Byron in the face three times. Then I realized that my appreciation for a show that I don't consider myself a fan of led me to make terroristic threats against one of the actors that played in the tv show. I guess that makes me a fanboy.

I should limit myself to taunts like "Hey Byron - do they make that blouse for men?"

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Chiclo wrote:I don't think of myself as a Babylon 5 fan but I enjoyed the show. It is almost painful making it through season 1 and season 5 mostly coasts from a sense of obligation.

They had a Babylon 5 reunion panel at a comic con in Phoenix recently and I started joking about re-enacting my favourite scene from season 5 by punching the guy that played Byron in the face three times. Then I realized that my appreciation for a show that I don't consider myself a fan of led me to make terroristic threats against one of the actors that played in the tv show. I guess that makes me a fanboy.

I should limit myself to taunts like "Hey Byron - do they make that blouse for men?"
Sadly I have to agree with all points.

Season One was tough, and if it wasn't for the better episodes in the second half I would've written the show off. After the season finale, I was hooked!

I wonder what Season 5 would've been like if things had gone more the way JMS had it planned. The threat of the PTEN network going under forcing him to move major plot points into Season 4 really forced him to stretch out Byron's plot and his penchant for big girl's blouses. :)
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Seriously - I remember one episode where he was flying around in a star fury in a flashback and I said out loud "Is he wearing a woman's blouse?". There is no way that garment was intended for a man and it probably had a matching scarf.

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

The Onion A.V. club is currently reviewing each episode of B5. For the early episodes, it rates how essential each episode is to the series. This could be helpful to you on when you're slogging through the backwaters of season 1.

Art

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

Thanks I'll bookmark that for later use.

Finished up S8 of SG-1 the other night. The last two seasons are only 20eps apiece. I started this late Sep'12 so it's taking me awhile to get through SG-1 with so much else I have going on. Hoping to be done by early-mid Aug with SG-1.

Before I get to B5 I'm going to watch S3 of Vampire Dairies, the 90's Iron Man cartoon(like 26 1/2 hr eps), Wolverine&The X-Men animated series(one season), Japanese Transformers Super God Masterforce(the Japanese series continued from the US toon even when they stopped stateside so it's essentially S5, the subtitles stink S4 was Japanese also, S6 Victory is the end).

Then B5. Need that animation break before diving back into another sci-fi saga.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Lexx! Another classic 90s sci-fi comedy. It ran 4 seasons, but the first season was four made-for-tv movies made for Showcase. Season 3 is definitely the high point, only 13 episodes so they stay pretty concentrated on the main story and develop it well.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Chiclo wrote:Lexx! Another classic 90s sci-fi comedy. It ran 4 seasons, but the first season was four made-for-tv movies made for Showcase. Season 3 is definitely the high point, only 13 episodes so they stay pretty concentrated on the main story and develop it well.
Saw all the seasons on DVD at Target recently. Loved that show. The ship looked like a giant penis. Classic.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

^^^^
I only picked that up cause it was so cheap...at Target also. It may not have acclaim but the cult fandom raves on it so for $10 for all 4 seasons I couldn't turn that down.

Somewhere in the mix is all 5 seasons of Sliders which I've gotten for less than $40 via Amazon but it's well into 2014 with so much else on my list, it's ahead of LEXX. Seasons 1-3 I've seen but been awhile now, S4-5 will be 90% all new to me.

Fringe, waiting to get S5 on DVD for $12or14 this Black Friday. I've seen 1/2 of S1 but know it's up my alley.
I already own Seaquest DSV S1&2, waiting on S3.

So clearly, to bring this tangent topic back around, Stargate Atlantis is away's off.