Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: Thinking about collecting Amazing Spider-Man

Post by 400yrs »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Someone on the cgc boards has from 200-700 for sale for under 2k.
I saw that as well. $1,800 shipped. That's not bad at all.

You get all the McFarlane issues, the hard to find late nineties issues and all the annuals.

Just the annuals, 300, 298, 238, 252 alone would cost several hundred dollars.
ASM Crossover Home

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

While I am not a CGC person, in the cases of the earliest and most expensive issues, it would probably be worth it to purchase some of them in lower grades. Even the lowest grades must be complete, right?

It could/would guarantee the condition. And that's what CGC is for, right?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

400yrs wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:Someone on the cgc boards has from 200-700 for sale for under 2k.
I saw that as well. $1,800 shipped. That's not bad at all.

You get all the McFarlane issues, the hard to find late nineties issues and all the annuals.

Just the annuals, 300, 298, 238, 252 alone would cost several hundred dollars.
Thanks for the heads up. If I had the money to spend right now this would be a great start to my collection. I'll be gathering the issues much more slowly. Even though I realize it will cost me more.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So, do you guys recommend buying from guys on the CGC boards? How's eBay for this stuff? Anywhere else good to keep checking. I've spent a lot on comics lately, so the wife's not gonna go for too much spending right now, but I should get a bonus towards the end of the year that I'm sure will soften her up.

I think I might try to get some of the iconic issues I remember seeing throughout my days of collecting and filling in non-key issues with lots.

I'm thinking of getting a ASM #50 as my first big purchase. I always loved that cover (and the homage of #392). It also doesn't seem to be as expensive as the other more important key issues.

What's a fair price on that (in the various conditions)? What would a raw (pretty beat up condition) be worth?

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Alot of books hit the CGC boards and are sold before they ever make it to ebay. I bought most of my graded X-men issues there for far lower than GPA on most issues. For larger purchases, most of the guys are willing to work with you to get the stuff sold.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Like anywhere though, be careful of who you buy from and use paypal with a cc.

As far as reasonable prices on a copy of #50, check completed auctions on ebay to get an idea.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So, I have yet to pull the trigger on anything - life has been hectic up until our vacation last week, now it's back to double hectic.

However, I've been watching ebay and doing some searching and just basically getting a feel for the market and what is available. I have come to a personal conclusion considering what I want to collect:

I've made my thoughts on the CGC well known - it is just not for me. I do want complete books (no major torn off piece, no missing pages, etc.), but I don't have to have pristine copies of these books to enjoy them - I want to feel like I can open them up whenever, let my son look at them from time to time and just enjoy the comics history. CGC will only be used for the older books that I would be too likely to be ripped off by buying raw for high prices - I will be cracking these open - all of them - even an ASM #1 if I get it.

The reason I collect Silver/Gold age books is for the history of the books (otherwise I could just read reprints for much cheaper). I don't see them as investments, as I never plan on selling them. As such, I have come to the conclusion that I would actually be happier with lower grade (but complete) copies of these for ASM. My reasoning is that (in addition to being much cheaper) the lower grade books have likely been read, enjoyed, and passed along more than the higher grade books. An 9.0 copy of ASM #1 was likely never purchased (or was purchased but lost under a stack of books and never read), until discovered much later by a collector who then tucked it away in a bag and board until CGC came about. (A quick search revealed at least one 9.8 exists - signed by Stan Lee facepalm) I'm less interested in that copy as I want to connect with the history of the book - I want to flip through the pages, smell the aging paper, read the stupid ads and laugh, and wonder how many wide eyed kids had gotten their first glimpse of a superhero that would become iconic, how many ASM collectors had this copy passed through before it got to me. As such, I will be making my collection of ASM one of lower grade (but as nice looking as possible - less tears being more desirable - but dinged corners, a little flaking never hurt anyone) but more valuable to me. This only applies to the old stuff. If I could have purchased it myself when it was released, then I want a high grade copy (I don't need 9.8 - I'm still going to leaf through the issues.).

(As an aside to this, I still think finding a 9.4 copy of ASM #1 or AF #15 would be a truly unique thing and worth every penny it would fetch, as it would showcase what that book looked like on the newsstand the day it was released, and that, in and of itself, is pretty cool.)

That's just my take on this. I'm hoping to pick up a few copies this weekend at the Nashville Comic Expo if they have anything.

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Well whatever you decide, I would make a play on the AF 15 first, as the book just keeps going up every year.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote: That's just my take on this. I'm hoping to pick up a few copies this weekend at the Nashville Comic Expo if they have anything.

Here is my advice on this new show. Consider buying tickets before hand, but definitely get there EARLY!!

The guys who are putting this show on are from Tampa and they've been doing the Tampa Con the last several years. They advertise like crazy and draw in a ton of fans.... Especially with the TWD guests they have lined up. These guys are notorious for not being prepared for the crowds they draw in. At the Tampa Con last month, there was literally a 3 hour long line where people had to wait in the hot FL sun to get in. They likely won't have enough volunteers nor con staffing nor ticket booths to handle the attendance and the few that are working the con won't be trained well.

Not trying to discourage you. They put on an amazing show. They are still a bit new at it and don't anticipate / prep well in regards to tickets and staffing. Getting there early on the first day was a key for me as I could get in and out with no prob.

In addition to Clayton Crain, check out Clay Mann. He does some excellent sketches.

Have fun and give us a report!
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Thanks for the tip, 400yrs! At least I won't have to wait in the sun as the convention center is the Gaylord Opryland which is an indoor town essentially. I'm staying in the hotel (we were already going there this weekend for my state chapter AAP awards banquet on Friday night - this was the icing on the cake!) so I'll just get there early (luckily it doesn't start until 10am). What time do you think will be early enough?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Not sure. I got my wristband on a Friday so I had no prob. Saturday, I got there about 12 and there was the massive line which lasted until late in the afternoon. Sunday, I got there when it opened at 10 and even though I had the wristband, so did a lot of other people and we had to wait in a twenty minute line going through one of the other convention halls just to walk in. The lines to buy a ticket was already beyond ridiculous at that point.

Hopefully they've learned and they get about 10x the ticket booths they had for Tampa. But I doubt it. They seem to go cheap on the staffing using mainly volunteers in every spot so I doubt they will spring for ample booths. Everything was on iPads which just made it take longer as well.

What frightens me about that con is that it says 40k square feet. They started with 75k at Tampa and had to use more of the floor to get toward 130k and it was still packed in the aisles. Insane lines for food as well.

And there was no Steven yuenn at this one either. Expect a ton of people. Maybe 10% of them will be there for comics, if that.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow
Re: Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Post by lorddunlow »

So, I've begun in earnest. No major keys purchased yet, but I picked up a few common issues at the con last week.

I'll keep a running list of my books in the first post (I'll add everything once I see what I already own).

Question: I've been scouring eBay for the last hour or so trying to nail down an affordable key (I'm thinking 121, 122, or 50, and maybe 31 - I'm a Gwen Stacy fan) and the current listings don't seem in line with completed auctions. For example, I searched completed items (only those that actually sold) for ASM #31 and it seemed raw copies only fetched around $50 or so as recent as a day or so ago. However, when searching current auctions, nothing even began that low and many auctions had bid the price up into the $80-100 range. What am I missing? I can't believe that I just happened to have bad luck and this book's demand increased overnight.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

lorddunlow wrote:For example, I searched completed items (only those that actually sold) for ASM #31 and it seemed raw copies only fetched around $50 or so as recent as a day or so ago. However, when searching current auctions, nothing even began that low and many auctions had bid the price up into the $80-100 range. What am I missing? I can't believe that I just happened to have bad luck and this book's demand increased overnight.
There will ALWAYS be overpriced books available on Ebay. They don't have buyers, so they sit there... forever.

Wait for a true auction that starts below what you want to pay.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:So, I've begun in earnest. No major keys purchased yet, but I picked up a few common issues at the con last week.

I'll keep a running list of my books in the first post (I'll add everything once I see what I already own).

Question: I've been scouring eBay for the last hour or so trying to nail down an affordable key (I'm thinking 121, 122, or 50, and maybe 31 - I'm a Gwen Stacy fan) and the current listings don't seem in line with completed auctions. For example, I searched completed items (only those that actually sold) for ASM #31 and it seemed raw copies only fetched around $50 or so as recent as a day or so ago. However, when searching current auctions, nothing even began that low and many auctions had bid the price up into the $80-100 range. What am I missing? I can't believe that I just happened to have bad luck and this book's demand increased overnight.

Ebay, she's a cruel lass to be sure. She can drive many a good men to drink.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

That is the effect of eBay making bin 30 day auctions free to list. People just wait for suckers sometimes.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

There are a few 50 book lots spanning from 500-700. Seller says he'll combine shipping, so I'm thinking I might get these (at least bid on them). What's a fair price for those in bulk? Raw copies, no specific grade listed.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote:There are a few 50 book lots spanning from 500-700. Seller says he'll combine shipping, so I'm thinking I might get these (at least bid on them). What's a fair price for those in bulk? Raw copies, no specific grade listed.
All depends on what books are in the lot. Most in the 500s are dollar books with some exceptions. There are many in the 600s that are quite a bit more.

Pm me the seller name and I'll look at the lots. Don't worry, I'm not buying.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Well, I keep losing auctions (and I really missed out on a great deal last night) but I'm definitely going to finish this. I'm taking my time. I'm less concerned about grade, and more concerned about cost versus my own opinion of how the books look. I am going to check on the cgc boards to try to get a bunch of the later stuff for cheap. We'll see how that goes.

I'm really starting to enjoy learning the issues and common defects (ASM #31 - first Gwen has a really weird blue ink smear on the back cover on a bunch of the copies).

I think I picked a good long term quest.

I'm afraid I may never own an AF #15 or ASM #1 as I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable paying that much for a comic book. We'll see. Maybe I'll luck into one at a flea market or something. Everything else is definitely obtainable.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Two observations so far:

1. ASM #300 is very rarely found in a raw state that isn't in poor shape.
2. ASM #300 has a lot of horribly miscut copies.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

lorddunlow wrote:Well, I keep losing auctions (and I really missed out on a great deal last night) but I'm definitely going to finish this. I'm taking my time. I'm less concerned about grade, and more concerned about cost versus my own opinion of how the books look. I am going to check on the cgc boards to try to get a bunch of the later stuff for cheap. We'll see how that goes.

I'm really starting to enjoy learning the issues and common defects (ASM #31 - first Gwen has a really weird blue ink smear on the back cover on a bunch of the copies).

I think I picked a good long term quest.

I'm afraid I may never own an AF #15 or ASM #1 as I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable paying that much for a comic book. We'll see. Maybe I'll luck into one at a flea market or something. Everything else is definitely obtainable.
If you can get AF 15 or ASM 1 keep telling yourself it's also an investment....these books don't seem at risk to lose value overnight. In fact AF 15 is appreciating steadily. I'm a lot more hesitant to drop $ on the newest hot book than bronze age keys or earlier.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

I just starting this task...I have 252, 298, and 299 plus 34 more between 64 and 364.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

caniac wrote:I just starting this task...I have 252, 298, and 299 plus 34 more between 64 and 364.
How much did you pay for 252, 298, and 299? The eBay copies keep going for more than I'm willing to pay.

caniac
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

lorddunlow wrote:
caniac wrote:I just starting this task...I have 252, 298, and 299 plus 34 more between 64 and 364.
How much did you pay for 252, 298, and 299? The eBay copies keep going for more than I'm willing to pay.
Paid less than $30 for 298 and 299 about a year ago and $50 for 252-259 tonight.

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

Need 129? I could dig mine outta storage (it's heated/cooled).
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Carson wrote:Need 129? I could dig mine outta storage (it's heated/cooled).
How much and what condition? PM me!