Eternal Warrior #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Eternal Warrior #1 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Peter wrote:As I have already said, I really enjoyed this issue and really looking forward to more, and here comes the but....

Is it just me or did anyone else find it a bit strange that six thousand years ago Gilad was wearing 20th Century trousers with a belt and a fly in the front :?

Unless of course Ivar gave them to him. :)
As a history teacher, the fact he was wearing those, especially the belt with the buckle, jumped out to me right away. He probably shouldn't have even been wearing pants.
Penis to the wind, then?
Loin cloth, toga or some kind of animal skin/hide would be more historically accurate. Though given this was likely in the region of Sumeria, penis to the wind would not be out of the question. That's how the Spartans did it.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Cropsy Chris wrote:People are complaining about the lack of story but it's one issue folks, and a nice table setter at that.
I agree, that's why I said it's too early to judge the book yet. Not a complaint, an observation.

NapoleonBlownapart
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Magnus, Robot Fighter (2010)

Post by NapoleonBlownapart »

If Ivar can invent a machine that generates light using the electrostatic charges generated by walking, I'm sure he can sew a pair of trousers for his baby brother. :roll:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

NapoleonBlownapart wrote:If Ivar can invent a machine that generates light using the electrostatic charges generated by walking, I'm sure he can sew a pair of trousers for his baby brother. :roll:
Sure he could...but he was already imprisoned in the Hypersphere by then :P

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Well, I enjoyed this issue, I think the wait for this release was well worth it. It was a fast read though, but rather than making me irritated, it left me wanting the next issue. I like Hairsine's art but a few times, I found it difficult to tell Gilad and Mitu apart.

A wonderful introduction of Xaran, was really shocked when she killed Mitu herself. Her monologue, as well as Gilad's, was very good.

Question though, what are these 'Houses'? Is this a concept lifted from the original EW title or something new to VEI?

Peter
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by Peter »

String wrote:Well, I enjoyed this issue, I think the wait for this release was well worth it. It was a fast read though, but rather than making me irritated, it left me wanting the next issue. I like Hairsine's art but a few times, I found it difficult to tell Gilad and Mitu apart.

A wonderful introduction of Xaran, was really shocked when she killed Mitu herself. Her monologue, as well as Gilad's, was very good.

Question though, what are these 'Houses'? Is this a concept lifted from the original EW title or something new to VEI?

I'm fairly sure it is new to VEI. I don't recall ever hearing about it before, unless it was in the one of the single issues done at the end of the acclaim era. I wasn't too fussed on those end storylines and haven't re-read them for a while.

The houses concept does sound very interesting though. I think we are going to be in for one hell of a ride. :D

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

I didn't make it over to the forums last week when this came out.

I'll read the prior 3 pages in a bit, sorry.

Did I like the issue, yes.
Did I love the issue, no.
Do I trust Pak and VALIANT--yes.

That said this issue played to the chorus, the initiated. If you didn't know anything about Giliad, Fist & Steel, Geomancers and his moniker the Eternal Warrior this opening issue did not give sufficient hooks to bring you back next week as I see it.
I bought an issue for a fellow friend at my LCS whose only read the first XO arc and Bloodshot, confident he'd be hooked. I didn't see him this week but I doubt it did.

Also, having read the great reboot, starting point in Bloodshot & HARD Corps and how well that was put together makes the EW #1 that much more glaring.

I'm obviously in for the long haul but would not blame anyone who was trying VALIANT for the first time OR first time since another title launch and did not come back.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Here's my latest episode complete with Eternal Warrior #1 review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ38hgPd ... e=youtu.be

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

This was just OK for me. Really not a fan of the art at all here. Also, his daughter stole the show! Not best idea for a #1 but i'm still looking forward to this title now that we got this 1st issue out the way.
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Artwork was fantastic, but the story didn't do it for me. Xaran is definitely a character I like, and will continue to read this title to see her develop, but overall the issue just didn't get me all that jazzed. And what's with the 6 millennium gap between the times Gilad and Xaran have last seen each other? She couldn't track him down in all that time? And he wouldn't lash out at her? Especially since the last time they saw each other, she killed Gilad's son/ her brother, and tried to kill him. ??? Well, we'll have to wait for issue 2. I also don't like the alternating takes on Gilad, in A&A he's robotic or fanatical, in XO, he's wise and sage, yet in EW, he's a warrior in the truest sense ( maybe more samurai, with an ethical code). Want them to keep more consistency in the characterization of Gilad

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Who cares about the story when we got art and battle scenes like that?! This book gave us a hefty dose of artwork that I haven't seen the likes of since X-O Manowar #1, really. And it exceeded the battle in that book!

EDIT: Regarding the story, this arc will most definitely have to be set prior to the first arc of Archer & Armstrong, correct? He's in retirement, in Archer & Armstrong #5 he appears to be quite active in protecting the Geomancer/the Earth once more, so I'm guessing this thing with the war between the Houses is chronologically before basically all the first arcs of the new Valiant reboots, right? (excluding X-O Manowar in 400 A.D., of course).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Baramos wrote:Who cares about the story when we got art and battle scenes like that?! This book gave us a hefty dose of artwork that I haven't seen the likes of since X-O Manowar #1, really. And it exceeded the battle in that book!

EDIT: Regarding the story, this arc will most definitely have to be set prior to the first arc of Archer & Armstrong, correct? He's in retirement, in Archer & Armstrong #5 he appears to be quite active in protecting the Geomancer/the Earth once more, so I'm guessing this thing with the war between the Houses is chronologically before basically all the first arcs of the new Valiant reboots, right? (excluding X-O Manowar in 400 A.D., of course).
Correct. Confirmed in an interview with Greg Pak. This arc, at least, takes place before his A&A appearance and will feature Buck McHenry, the Geomancer who was killed in A&A #4.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Aomalle27 wrote:I also don't like the alternating takes on Gilad, in A&A he's robotic or fanatical, in XO, he's wise and sage, yet in EW, he's a warrior in the truest sense ( maybe more samurai, with an ethical code). Want them to keep more consistency in the characterization of Gilad
An interesting point. The latter two are not necessarily incongruent but the first is.

Now, lemme think, is this the first character to make an appearance in three separate titles... :hm:

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

jmatt wrote:Now, lemme think, is this the first character to make an appearance in three separate titles... :hm:
well, Harbinger Wars had Bloodshot, the Renegades, and Harada in 3 separate titles.

hunter_peterson
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

jmatt wrote:
Aomalle27 wrote:I also don't like the alternating takes on Gilad, in A&A he's robotic or fanatical, in XO, he's wise and sage, yet in EW, he's a warrior in the truest sense ( maybe more samurai, with an ethical code). Want them to keep more consistency in the characterization of Gilad
An interesting point. The latter two are not necessarily incongruent but the first is.

Now, lemme think, is this the first character to make an appearance in three separate titles... :hm:
The first COULD be rationalised as Gilad being blowhole *SQUEE* mad about the previous Geomancer dying because he'd abandoned his duties AND it being caused by his drunken man-*SQUEE* brother. He wasn't himself, right? :P

Of course, at the end he calmed right down and gave good information and advice to A&A before leaving fairly happily, so maybe that was him transitioning to the wise old man persona? :o

I like them both, but the tired warrior is more compelling than the Terminator of the Earth. (If equally awesome to see in action.)

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

hunter_peterson wrote:
jmatt wrote:

The first COULD be rationalised as Gilad being blowhole *SQUEE* mad about the previous Geomancer dying because he'd abandoned his duties AND it being caused by his drunken man-*SQUEE* brother. He wasn't himself, right? :P

Of course, at the end he calmed right down and gave good information and advice to A&A before leaving fairly happily, so maybe that was him transitioning to the wise old man persona? :o

I like them both, but the tired warrior is more compelling than the Terminator of the Earth. (If equally awesome to see in action.)
Maybe he just doesn't have as much control when in action, obeying the word of the Earth. If he's tied to the Earth, if the Earth is enraged, he'd be enraged. So the Death of the Geomancer enraged the Earth.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

mateo107 wrote:
jmatt wrote:Now, lemme think, is this the first character to make an appearance in three separate titles... :hm:
well, Harbinger Wars had Bloodshot, the Renegades, and Harada in 3 separate titles.
Mmm, I'm not considering HW as an ongoing title, in this sense. I meant ongoing monthly titles.

hunter_peterson
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

BugsySig wrote:
hunter_peterson wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Maybe he just doesn't have as much control when in action, obeying the word of the Earth. If he's tied to the Earth, if the Earth is enraged, he'd be enraged. So the Death of the Geomancer enraged the Earth.
That is a good no-prize explanation!

I hope that what the Earth IS is explained soon. In A&A she was a personification of life/existence, but in EW it's more an organisation. Maybe it's both? Quite keen to see that explained.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

NapoleonBlownapart wrote:If Ivar can invent a machine that generates light using the electrostatic charges generated by walking, I'm sure he can sew a pair of trousers for his baby brother. :roll:

Why would Ivar give him a pair of pants?

Someone needs to give Ivar some pants. The dude has only been nekkid in the books.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:
The dude has only been nekkid in the books.
He's enlightened. He has transcended the need for pants.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:
The dude has only been nekkid in the books.
He's enlightened. He has transcended the need for pants.
I will give you $50 to walk around without pants and then explain to your arresting officer that you have transcended the need for pants.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Chiclo wrote:I will give you $50 to walk around without pants and then explain to your arresting officer that you have transcended the need for pants.
"No, wait a second; hear me out. This feels great. Nobody's looking, try it, just take your pants off. Now doesn't that feel good, your nether regions not all sweaty and bound up in layers of clothing? You with me? Okay, now you've got a badge and a gun, let's get others to join us... look there's a group of people over there, let's make some converts."

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

The art was gritty and fit the book well.

I really don't like the way Hairsine draws women though. They just look like nasty witches with wiry hair. Look at his harbinger cover. Ew.

That said, the drug enhanced bad guys looked awesome and the fight scenes and elephants were bad *SQUEE*.

The writing was good, but it read very quickly. I went back and read it twice so I felt like I got my money's worth.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Carson

Post by Carson »

Seriously, look at Flamingo. She's supposed to be hot but she looks like a witch.

AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

I enjoyed the first issue and am looking forward to seeing where this book is headed.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.