Unity #4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Unity #4 Discussion

Post by Keith »

And that is how you end an arc!! Great battle between Harada and Unity, everyone really played a key role in taking him down, and it was great teamwork that got them far enough to regain Shanhara. Felt a rush of pure fanboy joy when Gilad got the drop on Harada... badasssssss. And loved the "parting of the ways" between Harada and Gilad at the end. I do hope the implied threats get played out... maybe when EW comes back from hiatus? <hint hint>

Did anyone find it odd, though, that Ninjak and Gilad would go along so easily with Liverwire handing the X-O back over to Aric? I was surprised they were ok with that, considering that Aric was the massive threat two issues prior.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Unity #4 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

I really liked the issue, and it was a good ending, but I thought #3 was better.

My biggest issue is that Harada could just doof Gilad and Ninjak's heads. So unless he really just didnt want to, the rest of the fight was pointless.

As far as giving the armor back, I think Livewire may have been influenced by Shanhara to do so. Of course, what exactly would they do with the armor? They cant trust it to any country like England or the US, and its unknown if anyone without Livewire's powers could bond with the armor at all besides Aric. So take it off the board by giving it to a man without a country. Then support him in making his decisions with people he trusts.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

It was a good conclusion but I agree with Bugsy - issue 3 was better.

I also don't know why Harada doesn't just head doof people more often. Perhaps Ninjak with his advanced gadgetry can block that type of psychic attack .. but you would think EW would be vulnerable. The fact is Harada and Peter have been made much more powerful than the original characters - which I think makes for pretty damn interesting premise but if you want to make them God-like powerful than you need to explain how characters are surviving when they are in battle with them.

The bad guy character(Carter?) who was the head of PRS in the 1960's wore a helmet when he faced off against Harada. So we know there are ways of protecting yourself from him. A brief explanation of some sort of implant EW/Ninjak/livewire use that blocks Harada's more power Psiot attacks would have been a nice touch.

Overall, it was a good conclusion. I thought the explanation that Livewire gave for handing off the armor back to Aric was well handled. The art throughout the whole arc was very strong - and it was cool to see Braithwaite do every panel from beginning to end.

Small nitpick, I thought the early scene with the original "Unity" group that got knocked off was a little confusing. The caption said the scene was set to NOW even though it was a scene set in the past ... and then the next scene shows the character Anchor in the present with again the caption of NOW. It just didn't flow right.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

bygranddesign wrote:It was a good conclusion but I agree with Bugsy - issue 3 was better.

I also don't know why Harada doesn't just head doof people more often. Perhaps Ninjak with his advanced gadgetry can block that type of psychic attack .. but you would think EW would be vulnerable. The fact is Harada and Peter have been made much more powerful than the original characters - which I think makes for pretty damn interesting premise but if you want to make them God-like powerful than you need to explain how characters are surviving when they are in battle with them.

The bad guy character(Carter?) who was the head of PRS in the 1960's wore a helmet when he faced off against Harada. So we know there are ways of protecting yourself from him. A brief explanation of some sort of implant EW/Ninjak/livewire use that blocks Harada's more power Psiot attacks would have been a nice touch.

Overall, it was a good conclusion. I thought the explanation that Livewire gave for handing off the armor back to Aric was well handled. The art throughout the whole arc was very strong - and it was cool to see Braithwaite do every panel from beginning to end.

Small nitpick, I thought the early scene with the original "Unity" group that got knocked off was a little confusing. The caption said the scene was set to NOW even though it was a scene set in the past ... and then the next scene shows the character Anchor in the present with again the caption of NOW. It just didn't flow right.
I think Harada didn't head doof them because he was focusing on a lot of things at the time. He was having trouble talking to Gilad, let alone fighting him. So he probably wasn't applying his full talents to the fight. Which is terrifying if you think about it... two of the deadliest men in the world and he doesn't bother to fully apply himself to fighting them.

I really liked this issue. Livewire might be my new favorite Valiant character. She's just so awesome and respectful and badass and clever and awesome! And I didn't have a problem with her giving Aric he armor back, because all of Unity knows him well. They clearly had no better option and could actually help him act properly now that he's been spanked into sanity.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Satisfying issue. Livewire's behavior was impressive, and I'm glad that she not only knows Harada for what he truly is, but that she told him so. Makes you wonder what makes him want to kill her more - the fact that she once again opposed him (and she wasn't trying to kill him, only incapacitate him) or that she sees him for what he really is? I'd wager hubris and her knowledge/judgement are the driving factors.

I think the reporter is setting herself up for a big fall. It'll be interesting to see if she eventually turns into a bad guy. She's set Aric up on a pedestal and sees herself as his champion, using him as a driving purpose in her life. Questioning the value and intent of everyone else, even when they are giving him the armor. Aric probably doesn't even know who she is, and that, coupled with some sort of failed interaction/disappointment, is going to turn her into the boiling bunnies type.

I don't like that Harada and Pete can doof heads - makes them to powerful. Distraction, and probably the desire to prolong the punishment, is what kept Harada from outright killing his former team. I'm sure MI6 will be taking procautions against mind control, not unlike PRS. But the helmets (or implants) only protect against that - he can still drop a car on you :P

Speaking of Carter, he wore the helmet to contain his powers. He fully unleashed against Harada in the 60s and the power consumed him. I'm still wondering if some scrap of his mind embedded itself in someone else (or even that rat).

Looking forward to the next arc!
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

I thought the issue was ok. I know everyone seems to really like Livewire (and clearly Kindt is trying his best to turn her in to a major character) but i just don't find her compelling whatsoever.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Firstly, a dialogue balloon on the cover! "Any last words?" Okay, it makes the cover less poster-like but I think it harkens back to good old fashioned comic book sensibilities. I think it draws the viewer into the story right then and there on the cover. And no reviewer quote, I like that.

Renee is kind of being set up as a fly in the ointment. I'm interested to see where they go with that -- I liked her the first time around, now it appears she's going to be meddlesome, bordering on a problem to be dealt with. I like that.

As dopey as I thought the Captain was originally, Kindt worked in an interesting angle with his orders still in place even after his demise.

The armor is usually portrayed as somewhat larger than a basketball. I'll chalk it up to artistic license; makes it easier for the characters to be handing it to one another.

Liked Ninjak's deployment of the gas-weapon concealed up his sleeve.

Harada calling the armor to him... he wasn't expecting it would accept him as a host, was he?

Great action sequences.

As for the group deciding to give the armor back to Aric, I think it is amply explained. It can only be trouble in the hands of a government, but if used to create a true ally...

"I will get her." Weak line. Get?

Great issue.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

jmatt wrote:
As dopey as I thought the Captain was originally, Kindt worked in an interesting angle with his orders still in place even after his demise.

The armor is usually portrayed as somewhat larger than a basketball. I'll chalk it up to artistic license; makes it easier for the characters to be handing it to one another.

Harada calling the armor to him... he wasn't expecting it would accept him as a host, was he?
We were talking about those same things. Apparently his voice compulsion lasts like Harada's or Pete's mental compulsions. We also thought the armor sphere seemed a bit small.

As for Harada, it seemed to that he is confident that he can wield the armor. Probably assumes he can force it to accept him. He does have a god-complex.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

LOVED this issue. The more Unity I read, the more I want a solo Ninjak book. I never thought i'd ever want that. but I sure do.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

hunter_peterson

pixierosa wrote:Satisfying issue. Livewire's behavior was impressive, and I'm glad that she not only knows Harada for what he truly is, but that she told him so. Makes you wonder what makes him want to kill her more - the fact that she once again opposed him (and she wasn't trying to kill him, only incapacitate him) or that she sees him for what he really is? I'd wager hubris and her knowledge/judgement are the driving factors.

I think the reporter is setting herself up for a big fall. It'll be interesting to see if she eventually turns into a bad guy. She's set Aric up on a pedestal and sees herself as his champion, using him as a driving purpose in her life. Questioning the value and intent of everyone else, even when they are giving him the armor. Aric probably doesn't even know who she is, and that, coupled with some sort of failed interaction/disappointment, is going to turn her into the boiling bunnies type.

I don't like that Harada and Pete can doof heads - makes them to powerful. Distraction, and probably the desire to prolong the punishment, is what kept Harada from outright killing his former team. I'm sure MI6 will be taking procautions against mind control, not unlike PRS. But the helmets (or implants) only protect against that - he can still drop a car on you :P

Speaking of Carter, he wore the helmet to contain his powers. He fully unleashed against Harada in the 60s and the power consumed him. I'm still wondering if some scrap of his mind embedded itself in someone else (or even that rat).

Looking forward to the next arc!
I like both of your ideas for villains. It'd be interesting to see both unfold. Carter could actually be a Unity-level threat that could necessitate Harada coming back for an arc...

hunter_peterson

pixierosa wrote:
jmatt wrote:

We were talking about those same things. Apparently his voice compulsion lasts like Harada's or Pete's mental compulsions. We also thought the armor sphere seemed a bit small.

As for Harada, it seemed to that he is confident that he can wield the armor. Probably assumes he can force it to accept him. He does have a god-complex.
I agree, Harada is just THAT arrogant. And he doesn't even need the armor to fight them anyway! He was just proving a point! If anything, him wearing the armor opens him up to attack from Livewire. So yeah... god complex.

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

bygranddesign wrote:I also don't know why Harada doesn't just head doof people more often. Perhaps Ninjak with his advanced gadgetry can block that type of psychic attack .. but you would think EW would be vulnerable. The fact is Harada and Peter have been made much more powerful than the original characters - which I think makes for pretty damn interesting premise but if you want to make them God-like powerful than you need to explain how characters are surviving when they are in battle with them.
We're not quite sure when this takes place in Harada's timeline, are we? Is this before the end of Harbinger's "Perfect Day" arc? If so, Harada could have less control due to the lack of sleep.

Also, I like that there is an explanation, but still think it's kind of a cheat that Harada has some kind of automatic protection when he's rendered unconscious.
bygranddesign wrote:Small nitpick, I thought the early scene with the original "Unity" group that got knocked off was a little confusing. The caption said the scene was set to NOW even though it was a scene set in the past ... and then the next scene shows the character Anchor in the present with again the caption of NOW. It just didn't flow right.
Well, the first two panels were "NOW", then the flashback, then it goes back to "NOW...". The shift in color is a small indication of the flashback, but I agree, the transition could have been smoother.

I have to point out again, that the Valiant creative teams have to coordinate a bit better. In terms of the general story, there's been a nice handing of the baton between Unity and X-O. However, they should agree on where the damn ship is! X-O says it crashed in the Pacific, Unity 3 says it crashed in the Atlantic, and the forward to Unity 4 says it crashed in the Black Sea!! Get a frakking map, pick a place, and tell your writers. At the very least, X-O editor Josh Johns should be able to let Unity editor Josh Johns what's going on.

Art

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

apainter wrote:At the very least, X-O editor Josh Johns should be able to let Unity editor Josh Johns what's going on.
I heard they don't get along, so some miscommunication isn't a surprise....
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

SJS4 wrote:
apainter wrote:At the very least, X-O editor Josh Johns should be able to let Unity editor Josh Johns what's going on.
Still better than DC Editorial

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

SJS4 wrote:I thought the issue was ok. I know everyone seems to really like Livewire (and clearly Kindt is trying his best to turn her in to a major character) but i just don't find her compelling whatsoever.
I don't mind her, I wouldn't read an solo for her and I prefer Ninjak being the lead.
MarrowMan wrote:
SJS4 wrote:
Still better than DC Editorial
A lot of things are better than DC editorial.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

jmatt wrote:
This made me laugh. I had an English teacher in high school that wouldn't let us use the word 'get' because it was just lazy writing. I don't know why I remember that.

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

A very satisfactory conclusion to this opening arc. Following up the strong #3 was going to be tough but this was still a better wrap up to an arc than 75% of what I've seen come out of the Big Two most times an arc wraps.

Harada for sure is nearly, if not really there, in the same arena as Solar. So powerful that we the reader have to wonder, so why not head poof them? Him stretching himself thin was my own internal reason. Livewire's reinforcement of that in her line about keeping him distracted works enough for me.

What I fully didn't expect to see coming was the seemingly clean break Livewire made with Harada. I admit I half expected some type of half assed kiss/make-up between all parties. Making all the events a wash but VEI didn't do that and its a big reason I'm a fan. They are fine not just writing trope issues. So I'm back to this: Why keep the name UNITY since that was Harada's initiative and name for their covert op. Out of spite? What is going to keep them together and how will they redefine that name for themselves.

Livewire and Ninjak both under the umbrealla of MI-6 is a start. Trust with Aric re-established and LW's ties to the armor now mean he'll equally understand her so cooperativeness as an ally/team mate is a short reach. Gilad? Keep an eye on Aric? Internal reasons?
Hopefully the first pages of issue #5 answer this for me.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Just want to say that I loved this entire arc. That is all.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Just want to say that I loved this entire arc. That is all.

I think that is enough.... :thumb:

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

At least Harada didn't turn the armor into a bike...

That means that Ron Marz and Bart Sears are more evil than Harada!

:twisted:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

apainter wrote:X-O says it crashed in the Pacific, Unity 3 says it crashed in the Atlantic, and the forward to Unity 4 says it crashed in the Black Sea!! Get a frakking map, pick a place, and tell your writers. At the very least, X-O editor Josh Johns should be able to let Unity editor Josh Johns what's going on.
Nice catch and good point.

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Bleh, too quick a resolution to the fight with Harada. Would have been better explained had this tied in with the "Perfect World" story from Harby, thereby Harada is already taxed to his limit and a failure against Unity is most likely. Just handing the armor over to Aric didn't make much sense, since he's the one they fought in the first 3 issues, plus the XO books. And Aric admitting humility in light of the events? Doesn't jive with what we've seen of the character thus far. Maturity is a process, not an overnight occurrence.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Aomalle27 wrote:Bleh, too quick a resolution to the fight with Harada. Would have been better explained had this tied in with the "Perfect World" story from Harby, thereby Harada is already taxed to his limit and a failure against Unity is most likely. Just handing the armor over to Aric didn't make much sense, since he's the one they fought in the first 3 issues, plus the XO books. And Aric admitting humility in light of the events? Doesn't jive with what we've seen of the character thus far. Maturity is a process, not an overnight occurrence.
I agree on aligning with Perfect Day more would have benefitted the conclusion.

I believe Aric has matured lately. He had the fight with Volo, then was willing to abandon the armor in order to save his people, and again ask for help/asylum to protect his people again.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Michael_Ayer
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Michael_Ayer »

I thought it was great. I purposefully left this to be read after the other two releases. I started with Q&W, which was good. Next was BS & HARD Corps... which was GREAT. (I actually read that one twice.) So, I was going into this one with a lot of expectation and was not let down.

I loved that Aric has really changed. For so long he felt like a savage on a rampage (for good reason) and now it feels like he is changing. I wonder what this means for the future and I wonder how he will get along starting in Unity 5.

Oh... and I didn't mind the Harada part. I think they set it up that he was busy and preoccupied. Plus, I don't think he would want an international incident with MI-6
I wrote a Shadowman Story for KINDLE WORLDS.

Check it out: http://amzn.com/B00IMFHWDS

spiderland
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by spiderland »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
jmatt wrote:
This made me laugh. I had an English teacher in high school that wouldn't let us use the word 'get' because it was just lazy writing. I don't know why I remember that.
This line bothered me so much. Just lazy.

I enjoyed the issue but something just felt off or rushed compared to the build up in issues 1 - 3. Maybe I'm feeling a little Toyo fatigue or I'm having trouble placing the events of Unity in the timeline relative to the events of Perfect Day. I just didn't get the crazy resolution I was expecting but that said it still had more of an effect on the universe than any big two event I've read in recent memory so it's still a winner.
Plastic & Wire is my Art & Comics blog.